Review of the season

It may have been a championship-winning campaign for Town as they won the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division title with a record-breaking points total but they made a poor start to the season.

On the opening day, they were beaten 4-3 at home by local rivals Albion Sports, who had only just been promoted themselves.

But three days later Town bagged an away victory that proved critical.

In their second game, Paul Quinn’s men travelled to Tadcaster Albion and brought all three points back with them after a 3-1 win.

Taddy were Town’s only title rivals in the run-in but, despite them having the points on the board, Quinn’s men reeled them in by collecting points from their games in hand.

There was some early cup joy as well with Town battling through three rounds of the FA Cup after starting at the first hurdle - the extra-preliminary round on the second Saturday of the season.

Town were drawn at former Football League outfit Stockport County in the second qualifying round and bowed out following a 1-0 defeat in front of a bumper crowd of over 1,700.

A run in the FA Vase followed but that too ended with a 1-0 defeat, at Northern League outfit Whickham after Town had been held 3-3 after extra-time in the initial clash.

Town were dumped out of the West Riding County Cup quarter-finals by Eccleshill United, who went on to win the trophy.

Their last knockout trophy exit of the season was also at the quarter-final stage, at home to Long Eaton United, who won 10-9 on penalties after their Northern Counties East League Cup tie ended 2-2.

Quinn was determined that his players should not lose focus on what he viewed as the big prize - promotion.

The defeat, following the marathon penalty shoot-out, to Long Eaton was followed by an 11-match unbeaten league run that secured the Premier Division crown with two games to spare.

With the title in the bag, and the only promotion place to the Evo-Stik League secured, it was not surprising that just two days later they suffered a rare defeat.

Bridlington Town came to the Dual Seal Stadium and snaffled a 1-0 victory, thanks to a late goal.

However, Quinn rallied his troops and they got their revenge by cruising to a 6-2 win – at Brid – on the last day of the season to take their points tally into three figures.