Ireland stay key for new Bradford City recruits to settle in

Phil Parkinson appreciates the value of a pre-season trip

Phil Parkinson appreciates the value of a pre-season trip

First published in Sport Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford City Reporter

Phil Parkinson insists City’s pre-season week in Ireland is an essential part of his summer rebuild.

The Bantams will visit the Emerald Isle for the third year running as part of their preparations for next term.

The July training camp includes games against Dublin-based UCD and Shelbourne but Parkinson believes the most important aspect will be getting everyone together at close quarters.

With the City boss looking to revamp his squad, he wants the new recruits settled in before the season opens on August 9.

“I think it’s very important because there is going to be quite a big change-around in the squad this summer,” he said.

“It’s vital we get all those players bedded into the squad quickly and that’s why I feel the pre-season trip is so crucial.”

City have been based at Johnstown House in Enfield, just outside Dublin, for the past two years. They are relocating this time but Parkinson reckons the new facilities will be just as good.

“We’re going to a different venue, for a bit of a change more than anything, but going to Ireland serves us well,” he said.

“We did look at other options but got the chance to stay at another training base which is top quality.

“It’s reasonably cost effective and there isn’t a great deal of travel involved. You look at some of the top teams who fly off everywhere and come back absolutely shattered.

“The journey to Ireland is a short one. It’s easy to get to from Leeds-Bradford Airport and the pitches and weather are conducive for high-intensity training.

“We will be playing two friendlies as we have done in the past and I’ve always enjoyed going over there.

“The games are generally good because you are up against teams who are in the middle of their season.”

City once again kick off their warm-up campaign away to Guiseley on Saturday, July 12 – just over five weeks from now.

After the Irish tour, they play Championship outfit Blackburn in the only home friendly before rounding off at Morecambe the Saturday before the new season. They are looking to fit in one more midweek game in between.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:58am Thu 5 Jun 14

bcfc1903 says...

The Irish trips seem to have been a great success the last couple of years, I'm sure this one will be just the same with plenty of BCFC fans once again making the trip. Would love Sligo to get a game in the future but due to it's remoteness that probably wont happen.

Slainte!!!!
The Irish trips seem to have been a great success the last couple of years, I'm sure this one will be just the same with plenty of BCFC fans once again making the trip. Would love Sligo to get a game in the future but due to it's remoteness that probably wont happen. Slainte!!!! bcfc1903
  • Score: 8

10:37am Thu 5 Jun 14

tyker7745 says...

all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol tyker7745
  • Score: -15

11:12am Thu 5 Jun 14

lawsonio123 says...

tyker7745 wrote:
all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
News will come vey soon about the out of contract players
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol[/p][/quote]News will come vey soon about the out of contract players lawsonio123
  • Score: 4

12:05pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Michael Clayton says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
News will come vey soon about the out of contract players
Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol[/p][/quote]News will come vey soon about the out of contract players[/p][/quote]Is this your opinion or something that you have heard? Michael Clayton
  • Score: -9

1:00pm Thu 5 Jun 14

BradfordSportsFan says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
tyker7745 wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
News will come vey soon about the out of contract players
Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?
Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol[/p][/quote]News will come vey soon about the out of contract players[/p][/quote]Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?[/p][/quote]Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it. BradfordSportsFan
  • Score: 7

1:40pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Michael Clayton says...

BradfordSportsFan wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
tyker7745 wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
News will come vey soon about the out of contract players
Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?
Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.
There are 65 days until kick off; so in that sense it is not going to be "ages".

However, if we fast-forward 5/6 weeks, that is 'ages' in terms of the available time lapsed.

That was the reason for my question.
[quote][p][bold]BradfordSportsFan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol[/p][/quote]News will come vey soon about the out of contract players[/p][/quote]Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?[/p][/quote]Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.[/p][/quote]There are 65 days until kick off; so in that sense it is not going to be "ages". However, if we fast-forward 5/6 weeks, that is 'ages' in terms of the available time lapsed. That was the reason for my question. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -5

1:48pm Thu 5 Jun 14

torreyman says...

These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again torreyman
  • Score: -8

1:54pm Thu 5 Jun 14

lawsonio123 says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
BradfordSportsFan wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
tyker7745 wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
News will come vey soon about the out of contract players
Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?
Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.
There are 65 days until kick off; so in that sense it is not going to be "ages".

However, if we fast-forward 5/6 weeks, that is 'ages' in terms of the available time lapsed.

That was the reason for my question.
Michael Has I said very soon You say 5/6 weeks I have told you VERY SOON now go play In Clayton Park and stop nit picking Keep Smilling
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BradfordSportsFan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol[/p][/quote]News will come vey soon about the out of contract players[/p][/quote]Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?[/p][/quote]Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.[/p][/quote]There are 65 days until kick off; so in that sense it is not going to be "ages". However, if we fast-forward 5/6 weeks, that is 'ages' in terms of the available time lapsed. That was the reason for my question.[/p][/quote]Michael Has I said very soon You say 5/6 weeks I have told you VERY SOON now go play In Clayton Park and stop nit picking Keep Smilling lawsonio123
  • Score: 5

2:09pm Thu 5 Jun 14

City86 says...

torreyman wrote:
These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue! City86
  • Score: -3

2:15pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Michael Clayton says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
BradfordSportsFan wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
tyker7745 wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol
News will come vey soon about the out of contract players
Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?
Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.
There are 65 days until kick off; so in that sense it is not going to be "ages".

However, if we fast-forward 5/6 weeks, that is 'ages' in terms of the available time lapsed.

That was the reason for my question.
Michael Has I said very soon You say 5/6 weeks I have told you VERY SOON now go play In Clayton Park and stop nit picking Keep Smilling
I was genuinely interested in what you might have known.

Unfortunately, your response is the work of a moron. No factual basis, incorrect assumptions and a bad attitude.
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BradfordSportsFan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: all two of the recruits getting to know each other lol[/p][/quote]News will come vey soon about the out of contract players[/p][/quote]Is this your opinion or something that you have heard?[/p][/quote]Common sense surely...it's not going to be ages away is it.[/p][/quote]There are 65 days until kick off; so in that sense it is not going to be "ages". However, if we fast-forward 5/6 weeks, that is 'ages' in terms of the available time lapsed. That was the reason for my question.[/p][/quote]Michael Has I said very soon You say 5/6 weeks I have told you VERY SOON now go play In Clayton Park and stop nit picking Keep Smilling[/p][/quote]I was genuinely interested in what you might have known. Unfortunately, your response is the work of a moron. No factual basis, incorrect assumptions and a bad attitude. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -3

2:18pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Farsley Bantam says...

City86 wrote:
torreyman wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT
[quote][p][bold]City86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue![/p][/quote]Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT Farsley Bantam
  • Score: -4

2:53pm Thu 5 Jun 14

tyker7745 says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
City86 wrote:
torreyman wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT
ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!!

Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue![/p][/quote]Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT[/p][/quote]ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!! Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back tyker7745
  • Score: -1

3:05pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Michael Clayton says...

tyker7745 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
City86 wrote:
torreyman wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT
ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!!

Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back
According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue![/p][/quote]Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT[/p][/quote]ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!! Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back[/p][/quote]According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 1

3:49pm Thu 5 Jun 14

doneBD4 says...

instead of wasting money going over there, it should be put into the budget for new player!
instead of wasting money going over there, it should be put into the budget for new player! doneBD4
  • Score: -9

4:03pm Thu 5 Jun 14

lawsonio123 says...

It is not a waste of money going to Ireland it results in getting fit but also good will and a chance to get in first if a promising youngster comes along. The whole thing is well worth the effort and the small amount of money involved
It is not a waste of money going to Ireland it results in getting fit but also good will and a chance to get in first if a promising youngster comes along. The whole thing is well worth the effort and the small amount of money involved lawsonio123
  • Score: 5

4:22pm Thu 5 Jun 14

bcfc1903 says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
City86 wrote:
torreyman wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT
ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!!

Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back
According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.
The fellas been on here years and he's just noticed, haha.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue![/p][/quote]Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT[/p][/quote]ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!! Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back[/p][/quote]According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.[/p][/quote]The fellas been on here years and he's just noticed, haha. bcfc1903
  • Score: 2

4:56pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Statler4 says...

torreyman wrote:
These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
On that basis players should never train in case they get injured. Friendly matches are absolutely necessary for players to get match fit, to try out various formations, and to compete against other unfamiliar players. The benefits far outweigh the risks of possible injury.
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]On that basis players should never train in case they get injured. Friendly matches are absolutely necessary for players to get match fit, to try out various formations, and to compete against other unfamiliar players. The benefits far outweigh the risks of possible injury. Statler4
  • Score: 4

5:07pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Michael Clayton says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
City86 wrote:
torreyman wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT
ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!!

Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back
According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.
The fellas been on here years and he's just noticed, haha.
He (and others) have talked about the recent deterioration in standard. You are trying to get one over by implying something different; no doubt motivated by your recent spat.
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue![/p][/quote]Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT[/p][/quote]ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!! Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back[/p][/quote]According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.[/p][/quote]The fellas been on here years and he's just noticed, haha.[/p][/quote]He (and others) have talked about the recent deterioration in standard. You are trying to get one over by implying something different; no doubt motivated by your recent spat. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 0

8:05pm Thu 5 Jun 14

bcfc mad85 says...

A few more signings and a few contract renewals and let's see what we can do no point in worrying about who stays and who goes if they don't want to sign then it's see you later I'm sure pp will have adequate replacements for all positions
A few more signings and a few contract renewals and let's see what we can do no point in worrying about who stays and who goes if they don't want to sign then it's see you later I'm sure pp will have adequate replacements for all positions bcfc mad85
  • Score: 2

9:02pm Thu 5 Jun 14

bcfc1903 says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
bcfc1903 wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
City86 wrote:
torreyman wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again
It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue!
Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT
ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!!

Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back
According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.
The fellas been on here years and he's just noticed, haha.
He (and others) have talked about the recent deterioration in standard. You are trying to get one over by implying something different; no doubt motivated by your recent spat.
A recent deterioration haha, if you say so, I love your sarcasm.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: These friendly games are a danger it only needs one of our better players to get hurt and all the plans go out of the window it has happened before and God Forbid it could happen again[/p][/quote]It happened to andy Gray last season,hardly caused us an issue![/p][/quote]Andy Gray was looking good before that injury. He was easily on course for 30+ goals until that injury happend which totally derailed our season. Had that injury not happend we would now be looking forward to next season in the Championship. FACT[/p][/quote]ah yes Andy Gray was the missing link!! H would not score 30 goals in 6 seasons even t his alleged pomp!! Anyway why talk of past failures. Ney to will want to know about Peter 300s career prior to the signing of he ginger one at full back[/p][/quote]According to PCBA, this forum has descended into mindless drivel. It is good that you are able to raise the quality of the debate.[/p][/quote]The fellas been on here years and he's just noticed, haha.[/p][/quote]He (and others) have talked about the recent deterioration in standard. You are trying to get one over by implying something different; no doubt motivated by your recent spat.[/p][/quote]A recent deterioration haha, if you say so, I love your sarcasm. bcfc1903
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree