Prudent Bantams among minority in the black

SOUND FOOTING: The sale of Nahki Wells covered City’s overspend on last season’s budget and Julian Rhodes insists City’s careful financial approach – which has seen them among a minority of clubs in the black – will continue

SOUND FOOTING: The sale of Nahki Wells covered City’s overspend on last season’s budget and Julian Rhodes insists City’s careful financial approach – which has seen them among a minority of clubs in the black – will continue

First published in Sport Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford City Reporter

City are one of only 19 pro clubs in the UK that are not losing money, according to a leading industry analyst.

Joint-chairman Julian Rhodes has revealed that research from the Plimsoll group showed the Bantams were among the small minority of less than one in eight in the domestic game currently in the black.

He stressed that City’s careful financial approach must continue but does not believe it will stop them moving forward.

The board have sanctioned a £500,000 overspend on the estimated budget for next season – although that is down by the same amount on last year.

The sale of Nahki Wells in January covered that and safeguard measures will be in place to ensure the club avoiding running at a loss for next term.

Rhodes said: “Four of the last five years now we’ve posted a profit. The one we didn’t was 2010-11 when we were flirting with relegation out of the league.

“It’s not just important we carry on in that vein, we’re going to have to because we have no choice.

“The Plimsoll report is about how you perform in the business sector you’re in. There are 164 companies in our sector – that’s professional football clubs in the UK – and we’re one of only 19 who do not lose money.

“When you consider that there are 20 Premier League clubs, then it is a good achievement on our part.

“While we’ve managed to post profits, we’ve still been progressing in those years. We’ve gone from 18th in League Two to 11th in League One.

“We now expect to kick on and start knocking on the door of the Championship.

“This is what the whole plan has been when we were getting rid of the debts in those dark horrible days over the last 12 years.

“We wanted to get to this position where we can look forward and not behind us.”

Injuries and a long winless run forced Phil Parkinson to dip into the loan market midway through last season with an influx of short-term arrivals. But Rhodes felt the added expense was money well spent to halt a potentially worrying slip down League One.

“It would have been a disaster if we’d been relegated,” he added. “As it happens, we ended up 12 points clear and looking back thinking ‘what were we worried about?’ “But we did address things and Phil went to the loan market. It was something we really didn’t want to do but it was necessary.

“We’d won one game in 21 and had to do something. I thought the loanees all came in and did well.”

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:55am Mon 19 May 14

i miss stallard & murray says...

Well done to all concerned from administration to being a well run club great achievement and improvements being shown on the pitch. Now to the next stage of improved attacking football and promotion push that won't risk the future of our great club.
Well done to all concerned from administration to being a well run club great achievement and improvements being shown on the pitch. Now to the next stage of improved attacking football and promotion push that won't risk the future of our great club. i miss stallard & murray
  • Score: 36

8:19am Mon 19 May 14

whisky1 says...

Great credit to JR/ML/DB long may they continue
Great credit to JR/ML/DB long may they continue whisky1
  • Score: 29

8:20am Mon 19 May 14

tyker7745 says...

so who is going to be sold this season to cover the anticipated losses
so who is going to be sold this season to cover the anticipated losses tyker7745
  • Score: -41

8:26am Mon 19 May 14

Boing-Boing says...

tyker7745 wrote:
so who is going to be sold this season to cover the anticipated losses
This was my first thought after reading this !
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: so who is going to be sold this season to cover the anticipated losses[/p][/quote]This was my first thought after reading this ! Boing-Boing
  • Score: -35

8:48am Mon 19 May 14

lancaster1 says...

The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released
The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released lancaster1
  • Score: -41

8:49am Mon 19 May 14

Nickloza says...

Big well done to all concerned, things looking good at VP at last. Long may it continue.
Big well done to all concerned, things looking good at VP at last. Long may it continue. Nickloza
  • Score: 24

9:01am Mon 19 May 14

tyker7745 says...

lancaster1 wrote:
The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released
they will not be released
[quote][p][bold]lancaster1[/bold] wrote: The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released[/p][/quote]they will not be released tyker7745
  • Score: 12

9:15am Mon 19 May 14

macca1969 says...

Boing-Boing wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
so who is going to be sold this season to cover the anticipated losses
This was my first thought after reading this !
We really don't have much to sell in way of players. Only Hanson has any real value. McBurnie is just potential and McLean has to deliver first before any value is added too him. Sure the board must have other plans although it hinted that the 500 grand overspend is paid for by the Wells sale
[quote][p][bold]Boing-Boing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: so who is going to be sold this season to cover the anticipated losses[/p][/quote]This was my first thought after reading this ![/p][/quote]We really don't have much to sell in way of players. Only Hanson has any real value. McBurnie is just potential and McLean has to deliver first before any value is added too him. Sure the board must have other plans although it hinted that the 500 grand overspend is paid for by the Wells sale macca1969
  • Score: 4

10:17am Mon 19 May 14

lawsonio123 says...

lancaster1 wrote:
The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released
Our Goal Keeper will not be released get off his back he is one of the best in Division 1 look at his clean sheets Me thinks you do not know a good Keeper when you see one just leave him alone and stop your witchhunt
[quote][p][bold]lancaster1[/bold] wrote: The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released[/p][/quote]Our Goal Keeper will not be released get off his back he is one of the best in Division 1 look at his clean sheets Me thinks you do not know a good Keeper when you see one just leave him alone and stop your witchhunt lawsonio123
  • Score: 20

10:22am Mon 19 May 14

lawsonio123 says...

The Board are doing very well keeping in the Black and should we press for promotion next season extra income will come with increased crowds give a little more cash. They are doing a great job and long may it continue
The Board are doing very well keeping in the Black and should we press for promotion next season extra income will come with increased crowds give a little more cash. They are doing a great job and long may it continue lawsonio123
  • Score: 13

10:27am Mon 19 May 14

Big_Biscuit says...

Excellent BCFC. Keep that up.
Excellent BCFC. Keep that up. Big_Biscuit
  • Score: 12

10:32am Mon 19 May 14

cudelse says...

As most of the post above (apart from the whingers); well done to all, I would rather be supporting a team/club that is well run than most others running huge deficits in the vain hope of buying success. We don't have rich sugar daddies, so keep it up guys and I for one will continue my support for the mighty bantams.
As most of the post above (apart from the whingers); well done to all, I would rather be supporting a team/club that is well run than most others running huge deficits in the vain hope of buying success. We don't have rich sugar daddies, so keep it up guys and I for one will continue my support for the mighty bantams. cudelse
  • Score: 18

10:43am Mon 19 May 14

whisky1 says...

cudelse wrote:
As most of the post above (apart from the whingers); well done to all, I would rather be supporting a team/club that is well run than most others running huge deficits in the vain hope of buying success. We don't have rich sugar daddies, so keep it up guys and I for one will continue my support for the mighty bantams.
Agreed it makes it much easier if you have significant amounts of money to throw at it (Rothers/Brentford).
..somewhat more satisfying to do it by merit and as a sustainable business
[quote][p][bold]cudelse[/bold] wrote: As most of the post above (apart from the whingers); well done to all, I would rather be supporting a team/club that is well run than most others running huge deficits in the vain hope of buying success. We don't have rich sugar daddies, so keep it up guys and I for one will continue my support for the mighty bantams.[/p][/quote]Agreed it makes it much easier if you have significant amounts of money to throw at it (Rothers/Brentford). ..somewhat more satisfying to do it by merit and as a sustainable business whisky1
  • Score: 13

11:02am Mon 19 May 14

spleen ventor says...

I can't do with folk whittering on about budgets and who's going, who's staying...who's worth what...are you missing your weekly moan already?...It's going to be a long summer for some!
Let's just bask in our best League finish for god knows how many years and let the people who run the club get on with the excelllent job they're doing and be grateful we're not being run by some foreign megalomaniac like that lot east of Pudsey!
I can't do with folk whittering on about budgets and who's going, who's staying...who's worth what...are you missing your weekly moan already?...It's going to be a long summer for some! Let's just bask in our best League finish for god knows how many years and let the people who run the club get on with the excelllent job they're doing and be grateful we're not being run by some foreign megalomaniac like that lot east of Pudsey! spleen ventor
  • Score: 22

11:57am Mon 19 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
lancaster1 wrote:
The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released
Our Goal Keeper will not be released get off his back he is one of the best in Division 1 look at his clean sheets Me thinks you do not know a good Keeper when you see one just leave him alone and stop your witchhunt
Without checking, something like the seventh best defensive record in the whole division.

Notwithstanding issues concerning distribution and communication (things that can be worked on) he is doing really well. Shame you are so negative.
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lancaster1[/bold] wrote: The article I wanted this morning was the retained list seems though deadline was saturday everyone else has . Come on eagerly awaiting news that mclaughin and mcardle are released[/p][/quote]Our Goal Keeper will not be released get off his back he is one of the best in Division 1 look at his clean sheets Me thinks you do not know a good Keeper when you see one just leave him alone and stop your witchhunt[/p][/quote]Without checking, something like the seventh best defensive record in the whole division. Notwithstanding issues concerning distribution and communication (things that can be worked on) he is doing really well. Shame you are so negative. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 10

12:05pm Mon 19 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 12

1:37pm Mon 19 May 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman. wakefieldbantam
  • Score: 5

2:02pm Mon 19 May 14

macca1969 says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
They might not be no wolves next season but don't kid yourself that it will be easy. Sheffield Utd have far bigger resources than us and with clough in charge already look strong. Preston another club with more resources than we have and Peterborough. Also Leyton Orient or Rotherham will still be with us so we are already looking at 4 to 5 clubs in a stronger position than we are. Add to the mix half a dozen or so seasoned league 2 teams and next season will surely be as big a challenge as this. I do expect us to be in the mix at the yop end but again anything top ten will be a great achievement
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]They might not be no wolves next season but don't kid yourself that it will be easy. Sheffield Utd have far bigger resources than us and with clough in charge already look strong. Preston another club with more resources than we have and Peterborough. Also Leyton Orient or Rotherham will still be with us so we are already looking at 4 to 5 clubs in a stronger position than we are. Add to the mix half a dozen or so seasoned league 2 teams and next season will surely be as big a challenge as this. I do expect us to be in the mix at the yop end but again anything top ten will be a great achievement macca1969
  • Score: 6

2:30pm Mon 19 May 14

Plastic Bantam says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans. Plastic Bantam
  • Score: -1

2:37pm Mon 19 May 14

Bantambhoy says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
We are in the second tier of the Football league!
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]We are in the second tier of the Football league! Bantambhoy
  • Score: -2

2:57pm Mon 19 May 14

Farsley Bantam says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage.
We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage. We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 5

3:18pm Mon 19 May 14

Csut74 says...

Good to know the club are not getting back to the 'bad old days' of debt and administration, you just need to look at the total mess the Bulls are in to know the board have done things the right way and we have still progressed upwards. I like everyone else would love us to achieve promotion to The Championship, the level our club I personally feel we belong at, however, we cannot go back to massive financial problems again. I hope Parky brings in another strong leader in the 'Jonah' mould and feel he needs to keep his back 5 of Darbs, Davo, Roy, Mez and Carl but needs new keeper amongst other signings, but keeping the budget within the constraints and hopefully less loan signings this time - maybe premier league youngers on a season long loan would be suitable, plus maybe Reachy fo 6 months ? IN THE BOAD AND PARKY WE TRUST !
Good to know the club are not getting back to the 'bad old days' of debt and administration, you just need to look at the total mess the Bulls are in to know the board have done things the right way and we have still progressed upwards. I like everyone else would love us to achieve promotion to The Championship, the level our club I personally feel we belong at, however, we cannot go back to massive financial problems again. I hope Parky brings in another strong leader in the 'Jonah' mould and feel he needs to keep his back 5 of Darbs, Davo, Roy, Mez and Carl but needs new keeper amongst other signings, but keeping the budget within the constraints and hopefully less loan signings this time - maybe premier league youngers on a season long loan would be suitable, plus maybe Reachy fo 6 months ? IN THE BOAD AND PARKY WE TRUST ! Csut74
  • Score: 1

3:22pm Mon 19 May 14

hx3bantam says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
You do know what happened to us post-Premiership don't you? A club 'our size' nearly went bust! It will be a long hard road to get back up to the Championship but I'd rather do it slowly and in comfort rather than crash and burn! It won't be too long before some teams are folding mid-season. JR/ML are making sure we aren't one of them.
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]You do know what happened to us post-Premiership don't you? A club 'our size' nearly went bust! It will be a long hard road to get back up to the Championship but I'd rather do it slowly and in comfort rather than crash and burn! It won't be too long before some teams are folding mid-season. JR/ML are making sure we aren't one of them. hx3bantam
  • Score: 7

3:42pm Mon 19 May 14

whisky1 says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage.
We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.
JR had the balls to run with the scheme which thus far has been a success. For me £300 for myself and my lad represents good value for money and the right balance. Although I could afford more its a decent price for traditional fan base and has provided platform for success. We do have decent support home and away and there is a great deal of goodwill in the City generally for the club.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage. We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.[/p][/quote]JR had the balls to run with the scheme which thus far has been a success. For me £300 for myself and my lad represents good value for money and the right balance. Although I could afford more its a decent price for traditional fan base and has provided platform for success. We do have decent support home and away and there is a great deal of goodwill in the City generally for the club. whisky1
  • Score: 1

3:48pm Mon 19 May 14

jamiejoe says...

macca1969 wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
They might not be no wolves next season but don't kid yourself that it will be easy. Sheffield Utd have far bigger resources than us and with clough in charge already look strong. Preston another club with more resources than we have and Peterborough. Also Leyton Orient or Rotherham will still be with us so we are already looking at 4 to 5 clubs in a stronger position than we are. Add to the mix half a dozen or so seasoned league 2 teams and next season will surely be as big a challenge as this. I do expect us to be in the mix at the yop end but again anything top ten will be a great achievement
Don't forget Doncaster and Barnsley too - they will have the resources and decent squads and have been way above City for recent seasons.

And Chesterfield, sunny Scunny and Rochdale normally give us a good game too.

It will be competitive - we need to sort out the midfield and confirm the defence and hope we have our strikers on song and the whole team attacking and scoring goals.
[quote][p][bold]macca1969[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]They might not be no wolves next season but don't kid yourself that it will be easy. Sheffield Utd have far bigger resources than us and with clough in charge already look strong. Preston another club with more resources than we have and Peterborough. Also Leyton Orient or Rotherham will still be with us so we are already looking at 4 to 5 clubs in a stronger position than we are. Add to the mix half a dozen or so seasoned league 2 teams and next season will surely be as big a challenge as this. I do expect us to be in the mix at the yop end but again anything top ten will be a great achievement[/p][/quote]Don't forget Doncaster and Barnsley too - they will have the resources and decent squads and have been way above City for recent seasons. And Chesterfield, sunny Scunny and Rochdale normally give us a good game too. It will be competitive - we need to sort out the midfield and confirm the defence and hope we have our strikers on song and the whole team attacking and scoring goals. jamiejoe
  • Score: 2

4:06pm Mon 19 May 14

Victor Clayton says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage.
We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.
If you are correct then it would make sense to put prices up. Because over time, the clubs with most resources will come out on top.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage. We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.[/p][/quote]If you are correct then it would make sense to put prices up. Because over time, the clubs with most resources will come out on top. Victor Clayton
  • Score: -1

4:23pm Mon 19 May 14

lawsonio123 says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
Not really undercharging Bradford is not at present full of rich folk indeed it is a City with a lot of unemployment ect so the board have taken this into account as regards the price of tickets to their credit BRADFORD CITY are a Big Club the size of our City the catchment area of our possible support is far greater than Rotherham and others in this division.even if you charged more money you would still get larger crowds than a lot of teams in division one but as i have said our Directors have a heart and know the position at the moment and supporters who would not be able to go now can do so.I feel i have answered your quote in a fair way and now let me quote PLEASE GET THIS BRADFORD CITY ARE A BIG CLUB ever seen Rotherham in the Prem Take care and please stop putting us down
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]Not really undercharging Bradford is not at present full of rich folk indeed it is a City with a lot of unemployment ect so the board have taken this into account as regards the price of tickets to their credit BRADFORD CITY are a Big Club the size of our City the catchment area of our possible support is far greater than Rotherham and others in this division.even if you charged more money you would still get larger crowds than a lot of teams in division one but as i have said our Directors have a heart and know the position at the moment and supporters who would not be able to go now can do so.I feel i have answered your quote in a fair way and now let me quote PLEASE GET THIS BRADFORD CITY ARE A BIG CLUB ever seen Rotherham in the Prem Take care and please stop putting us down lawsonio123
  • Score: -1

4:28pm Mon 19 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A football fan does not always see the threat posed by the opposition. There will be twenty-four teams lining up in the belief that they can finish in the top six.

I don't see anything wrong in believing that a play-off place is possible. After all, that is a postive approach.

However, the down side is that when the team hits a bad patch, the same fans feel the need to apportion blame. There is no happy medium for some people.
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A football fan does not always see the threat posed by the opposition. There will be twenty-four teams lining up in the belief that they can finish in the top six. I don't see anything wrong in believing that a play-off place is possible. After all, that is a postive approach. However, the down side is that when the team hits a bad patch, the same fans feel the need to apportion blame. There is no happy medium for some people. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 0

5:41pm Mon 19 May 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement.

Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust.

If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement.

Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
We are in the second tier of the Football league!
Good spot bantam boy but that is not really the point is it?
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]We are in the second tier of the Football league![/p][/quote]Good spot bantam boy but that is not really the point is it? wakefieldbantam
  • Score: 1

5:43pm Mon 19 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

Victor Clayton wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage.
We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.
If you are correct then it would make sense to put prices up. Because over time, the clubs with most resources will come out on top.
The pricing structure is based on supply and demand economics.

However, the other factor is the flexi-card. If the club hiked up the price of a season ticket by (for example, £50) this would have major implications in terms of the price of a flexi-card.

In the worst case, the worst case scenario is a fall in ST sales (less budget) and a lack of cash flow (the floating FC holders not turning up in the event of a dip in form).

Keep the ship steady.
[quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]You've been peddling this 'we only get loads of fans cos its cheap argument' for some time now and I just don't buy it. Sure if they were to increase it to the going rate we may lose a couple of thousand fans tops but I just don't think it would be the mass exodus you envisage. We managed to maintain decent levels of support during the League 2 years when the football was absolutely dire to say the least. You can't say that people were just turning up because it was cheap entertainment- it wasn't remotely entertaining for those 2 seasons where we hovered above relegation.[/p][/quote]If you are correct then it would make sense to put prices up. Because over time, the clubs with most resources will come out on top.[/p][/quote]The pricing structure is based on supply and demand economics. However, the other factor is the flexi-card. If the club hiked up the price of a season ticket by (for example, £50) this would have major implications in terms of the price of a flexi-card. In the worst case, the worst case scenario is a fall in ST sales (less budget) and a lack of cash flow (the floating FC holders not turning up in the event of a dip in form). Keep the ship steady. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -1

5:43pm Mon 19 May 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !!
Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then !
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !! Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then ! wakefieldbantam
  • Score: -1

5:46pm Mon 19 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !!
Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then !
This is your argument so you need to define what you see as a "big club". It could mean any number of things.
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !! Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then ![/p][/quote]This is your argument so you need to define what you see as a "big club". It could mean any number of things. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -1

10:05pm Mon 19 May 14

KnightMcCall says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !!
Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then !
This is your argument so you need to define what you see as a "big club". It could mean any number of things.
Portsmouth get bigger crowds; Rotherham have more cash; Sheff utd have spent more time in top flight; just what makes a club big? Leeds is a bigger City than Liverpool but who has the bigger club.

Basically it is irrelevant. Suggesting any club "should" expect an outcome based on "size" is tosh. 24 teams will start next season and the biggest club will be the one that picks up the most points. The most common scenario is that the wealthiest club will win out (not always but mostly) and City are definitely not the wealthiest. As above therefore, a top ten finish would be a good achievement.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !! Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then ![/p][/quote]This is your argument so you need to define what you see as a "big club". It could mean any number of things.[/p][/quote]Portsmouth get bigger crowds; Rotherham have more cash; Sheff utd have spent more time in top flight; just what makes a club big? Leeds is a bigger City than Liverpool but who has the bigger club. Basically it is irrelevant. Suggesting any club "should" expect an outcome based on "size" is tosh. 24 teams will start next season and the biggest club will be the one that picks up the most points. The most common scenario is that the wealthiest club will win out (not always but mostly) and City are definitely not the wealthiest. As above therefore, a top ten finish would be a good achievement. KnightMcCall
  • Score: 0

11:23pm Mon 19 May 14

moanmoanwhingewhinge says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
We are not a 'small' club - our average away support was 17th best in the entire football league and third best in the division, despite not having an especially good season, behind Wolves (who were second best in the entire league) and Sheffield United, whose average away support only beat us by 4 fans. Our average away following was greater than teams such as Ipswich, Watford, Reading and cup holders Wigan - this is not due to cheap season tickets. A 'small' team would not have taken the support that we did to Tranmere on the last day for what was essentially a meaningless game.
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]We are not a 'small' club - our average away support was 17th best in the entire football league and third best in the division, despite not having an especially good season, behind Wolves (who were second best in the entire league) and Sheffield United, whose average away support only beat us by 4 fans. Our average away following was greater than teams such as Ipswich, Watford, Reading and cup holders Wigan - this is not due to cheap season tickets. A 'small' team would not have taken the support that we did to Tranmere on the last day for what was essentially a meaningless game. moanmoanwhingewhinge
  • Score: -2

7:29am Tue 20 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

moanmoanwhingewhinge wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
We are not a 'small' club - our average away support was 17th best in the entire football league and third best in the division, despite not having an especially good season, behind Wolves (who were second best in the entire league) and Sheffield United, whose average away support only beat us by 4 fans. Our average away following was greater than teams such as Ipswich, Watford, Reading and cup holders Wigan - this is not due to cheap season tickets. A 'small' team would not have taken the support that we did to Tranmere on the last day for what was essentially a meaningless game.
"Not having an especially good season/". That is your opinion. Others would be thrilled at visiting grounds they had not been to for six years.
[quote][p][bold]moanmoanwhingewhinge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]We are not a 'small' club - our average away support was 17th best in the entire football league and third best in the division, despite not having an especially good season, behind Wolves (who were second best in the entire league) and Sheffield United, whose average away support only beat us by 4 fans. Our average away following was greater than teams such as Ipswich, Watford, Reading and cup holders Wigan - this is not due to cheap season tickets. A 'small' team would not have taken the support that we did to Tranmere on the last day for what was essentially a meaningless game.[/p][/quote]"Not having an especially good season/". That is your opinion. Others would be thrilled at visiting grounds they had not been to for six years. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -3

7:52am Tue 20 May 14

wakefieldbantam says...

KnightMcCall wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.
I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.
A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.
We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !!
Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then !
This is your argument so you need to define what you see as a "big club". It could mean any number of things.
Portsmouth get bigger crowds; Rotherham have more cash; Sheff utd have spent more time in top flight; just what makes a club big? Leeds is a bigger City than Liverpool but who has the bigger club.

Basically it is irrelevant. Suggesting any club "should" expect an outcome based on "size" is tosh. 24 teams will start next season and the biggest club will be the one that picks up the most points. The most common scenario is that the wealthiest club will win out (not always but mostly) and City are definitely not the wealthiest. As above therefore, a top ten finish would be a good achievement.
I do not expect us to get promoted because of size my argument was that we are not a small club which is what you described us. Many times JR and PP have described us as a sleeping giant, which I feel maybe a bit over the top, but nevertheless we are in no way a small club, which you now seem to be back tracking on.
Our next step is to get to the championship from a position of strength, then we can consolidate in that league which if things progress the way they have in the last 2 years will happen because we are not SMALL!
[quote][p][bold]KnightMcCall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: The second season is always going to be tough. If Parky can finish in the top half (again), this will be a remarkable achievement. Rather like the prudent financial approach, I would rather see slow improvements than a bang and bust. If you disagree, tell me how much you enjoyed three relegations in six years.[/p][/quote]I would hardly say for a club of our size that finishing in the top half of the third tier of the football league is a remarkable achievement, we should be kicking on now and looking for a play off place, that would be steady improvement. Next season there is nothing in this division to be scared of, there will be no clubs with the resources of Wolves, so I believe it is well within our reach and from the interview in the T & A so does our chairman.[/p][/quote]A club our size!??!! We're a small club, the sooner people realise this the better.. We only get 10,000 home fans because of what we charge in season tickets. If we were to charge the going league 1 rate, we would sell about 7,000 tickets.. People need to get over this big club tag and we have loads of fans.. We have loads of fans because we undercharge those fans.[/p][/quote]We are not a small club we might not be big but we are not small !! Name me some bigger clubs than us in this division then ![/p][/quote]This is your argument so you need to define what you see as a "big club". It could mean any number of things.[/p][/quote]Portsmouth get bigger crowds; Rotherham have more cash; Sheff utd have spent more time in top flight; just what makes a club big? Leeds is a bigger City than Liverpool but who has the bigger club. Basically it is irrelevant. Suggesting any club "should" expect an outcome based on "size" is tosh. 24 teams will start next season and the biggest club will be the one that picks up the most points. The most common scenario is that the wealthiest club will win out (not always but mostly) and City are definitely not the wealthiest. As above therefore, a top ten finish would be a good achievement.[/p][/quote]I do not expect us to get promoted because of size my argument was that we are not a small club which is what you described us. Many times JR and PP have described us as a sleeping giant, which I feel maybe a bit over the top, but nevertheless we are in no way a small club, which you now seem to be back tracking on. Our next step is to get to the championship from a position of strength, then we can consolidate in that league which if things progress the way they have in the last 2 years will happen because we are not SMALL! wakefieldbantam
  • Score: -1

1:39pm Tue 20 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

References to a 'big club' or a 'small club' can be flawed. The terms are not defined, are vague, and can mean different things to different people.

For me, it is about the here and now. Past reputations count for little. This applies, equally, to a club that has slid (e.g.Portsmouth) or one that is perceived as punching above its weight (e.g. Leyton Orient).

On that subject, I really hope that the O's get promoted!
References to a 'big club' or a 'small club' can be flawed. The terms are not defined, are vague, and can mean different things to different people. For me, it is about the here and now. Past reputations count for little. This applies, equally, to a club that has slid (e.g.Portsmouth) or one that is perceived as punching above its weight (e.g. Leyton Orient). On that subject, I really hope that the O's get promoted! Michael Clayton
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree