Bradford City midfielder Mark Yeates: I'm not here to make up the numbers

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: JURY’S OUT: Mark Yeates knows he still has to win over the fans, who have yet to see the best of him in a City shirt JURY’S OUT: Mark Yeates knows he still has to win over the fans, who have yet to see the best of him in a City shirt

Mark Yeates is determined to prove he is no Bradford City write-off next season.

The Irish midfielder endured a disappointing first year at Valley Parade and made just 11 starts.

Hailed as the major signing of last summer, the former Watford playmaker knows he is yet to convince the City faithful.

But Yeates, who did feature for the final two games of the campaign, believes he can still make his mark given the opportunity.

He said: “I’m my biggest critic and know that I should have done better overall. But to only start ten league games is probably the least I’ve had anywhere in my career.

“But I signed for Bradford City for two years and I don’t see why next season can’t be an exciting one.

“I’ve moved up here to play football and settle in the area. I’ve got two young daughters under the age of two and a girlfriend and we all love living in Guiseley.

“Outside of football, it’s been brilliant. But of course it’s been a frustrating season for me, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t.

“Every player that trains day in, day out all week wants to have a game at the end of it and I’m no different.

“Nobody can foretell what’s going to happen. Anything can change from day to day, let alone over a ten-week period through the summer.

“But I want to be more involved next season. From the sound of what’s been said, they want to have a real go at trying to push for a play-off spot.

“Any footballer would want to be involved in that environment.”

The 29-year-old’s progress has been further hampered by a nagging knee problem, which has affected him on and off since last pre-season. Yeates admitted it has had an impact on his set-piece ability.

He added: “I opened up the medial ligament in the knee and don’t think it’s fully healed since. A lot of clubs that have signed me because of set-pieces and dead balls and I’ve found it hard to even hit corners at times without getting pain in my knee.

“But I won’t use that as an excuse. It’s just been one of those frustrating seasons because I haven’t played enough football.

“Sheffield United away was a tough game. I wasn’t fully fit and didn’t do myself justice.

“That was the game probably a lot of people saw and judged me on.

“Any player will tell you that it’s tough coming off the bench for ten or 15 minutes, especially when we were going through a difficult patch as well.

“We were chasing games. Of course you want to be the hero and make that impact for the side but sometimes it doesn’t happen that way.

“Reachy (Adam Reach) then came in on loan and hit the ground running. And I was out for his first six games at the club because I had two injections in my knee.

“I would have liked to play more after that but it was great to finish the season back in the side. I was also in on merit.

“That was the best thing for me because I didn’t want to just get given a game. You want to earn your chance and hopefully I did that with the way that I’d been in training.”

* City have confirmed they will play a pre-season friendly against Blackburn at Valley Parade on Saturday, July 26.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:29am Wed 14 May 14

Plastic Bantam says...

Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy
Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy Plastic Bantam
  • Score: -13

9:09am Wed 14 May 14

Freddy says...

*
I agree with" Plastic Bantam".
*
BUT--Perhaps Yeats should join Dolan for a Summer Sweat Camp.Because of their lack of match play and fitness.
*
It follows that ALL the Players that may be retained for next Season--That are deemed to be lacking 'Match Play & Fitness'. Should attend the Summer Sweat Camp.
*
* I agree with" Plastic Bantam". * BUT--Perhaps Yeats should join Dolan for a Summer Sweat Camp.Because of their lack of match play and fitness. * It follows that ALL the Players that may be retained for next Season--That are deemed to be lacking 'Match Play & Fitness'. Should attend the Summer Sweat Camp. * Freddy
  • Score: -38

9:12am Wed 14 May 14

BD16 says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy
I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy[/p][/quote]I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls. BD16
  • Score: -35

10:37am Wed 14 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

BD16 wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy
I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.
I think you are on the right lines there.

Unlike Wells, McLean can also receive the ball with his back to goal. This will be of mutual benefit to both Yeates and McLean.

There is no doubt that this was in Parky's thinking as he reintroduced Yeates during the last few games.

As two of the few contracted players, there is a lot of responsibility on those guys and I believe they can cut it.
[quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy[/p][/quote]I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.[/p][/quote]I think you are on the right lines there. Unlike Wells, McLean can also receive the ball with his back to goal. This will be of mutual benefit to both Yeates and McLean. There is no doubt that this was in Parky's thinking as he reintroduced Yeates during the last few games. As two of the few contracted players, there is a lot of responsibility on those guys and I believe they can cut it. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -122

10:50am Wed 14 May 14

Plastic Bantam says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
BD16 wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote: Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy
I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.
I think you are on the right lines there. Unlike Wells, McLean can also receive the ball with his back to goal. This will be of mutual benefit to both Yeates and McLean. There is no doubt that this was in Parky's thinking as he reintroduced Yeates during the last few games. As two of the few contracted players, there is a lot of responsibility on those guys and I believe they can cut it.
A lot of people on the T&A website seem to want Yeates to fail next season looking at these ratings...

Totally agree... Any striker would find it hard to score a goal when he's got his back to goal and the ball is flying at his throat! Which is what was happening to McLean at times last season!!

Play the ball through to him and let him run on to it. He has shown he knows where there net is!!
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy[/p][/quote]I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.[/p][/quote]I think you are on the right lines there. Unlike Wells, McLean can also receive the ball with his back to goal. This will be of mutual benefit to both Yeates and McLean. There is no doubt that this was in Parky's thinking as he reintroduced Yeates during the last few games. As two of the few contracted players, there is a lot of responsibility on those guys and I believe they can cut it.[/p][/quote]A lot of people on the T&A website seem to want Yeates to fail next season looking at these ratings... Totally agree... Any striker would find it hard to score a goal when he's got his back to goal and the ball is flying at his throat! Which is what was happening to McLean at times last season!! Play the ball through to him and let him run on to it. He has shown he knows where there net is!! Plastic Bantam
  • Score: -53

10:57am Wed 14 May 14

dazp says...

SO WHY ARE YOU HERE THEN?
SO WHY ARE YOU HERE THEN? dazp
  • Score: 119

11:16am Wed 14 May 14

bcfc1903 says...

Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.
Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion. bcfc1903
  • Score: -34

11:38am Wed 14 May 14

Farsley Bantam says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.
I know I've said this before but you must be either;

-Dean Furman's mum
-Dean Furman's agent
-Dean Furman
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.[/p][/quote]I know I've said this before but you must be either; -Dean Furman's mum -Dean Furman's agent -Dean Furman Farsley Bantam
  • Score: -51

11:46am Wed 14 May 14

bcfc1903 says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
bcfc1903 wrote:
Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.
I know I've said this before but you must be either;

-Dean Furman's mum
-Dean Furman's agent
-Dean Furman
You forgot a Dean Furman fan from your list .

You've said it before? I must have missed that insight into my previous posts on Deano!!! I'm also a big fan of Oscar Jansson..........
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.[/p][/quote]I know I've said this before but you must be either; -Dean Furman's mum -Dean Furman's agent -Dean Furman[/p][/quote]You forgot a Dean Furman fan from your list . You've said it before? I must have missed that insight into my previous posts on Deano!!! I'm also a big fan of Oscar Jansson.......... bcfc1903
  • Score: -34

12:36pm Wed 14 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
BD16 wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote: Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy
I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.
I think you are on the right lines there. Unlike Wells, McLean can also receive the ball with his back to goal. This will be of mutual benefit to both Yeates and McLean. There is no doubt that this was in Parky's thinking as he reintroduced Yeates during the last few games. As two of the few contracted players, there is a lot of responsibility on those guys and I believe they can cut it.
A lot of people on the T&A website seem to want Yeates to fail next season looking at these ratings...

Totally agree... Any striker would find it hard to score a goal when he's got his back to goal and the ball is flying at his throat! Which is what was happening to McLean at times last season!!

Play the ball through to him and let him run on to it. He has shown he knows where there net is!!
Previously we have seen a one dimensional approach that only works if you have a target man (eg Hanson) and a pacey striker (eg Wells) to run on to it.

McLean's strength is his ability to play in every direction. I do not think that he will have the same problems as last season because the style of play will alter. We saw signs of this towards the end of the campaign.

For me, the key is to find the midfielder who can kick on from Gary Jones.
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: Really want this signing to,work.. He could be the key player for me next season.. The way he dances round defenders and picks passes,is brilliant more of it next season please Yeatsy[/p][/quote]I hope you are right. I also hope that we have learned the type of supply that we need to give McLean to get the best out of him. In the last two games he had two passes to run onto and he thumped them past the keeper, hopefully Yeates can be the supplier of those balls.[/p][/quote]I think you are on the right lines there. Unlike Wells, McLean can also receive the ball with his back to goal. This will be of mutual benefit to both Yeates and McLean. There is no doubt that this was in Parky's thinking as he reintroduced Yeates during the last few games. As two of the few contracted players, there is a lot of responsibility on those guys and I believe they can cut it.[/p][/quote]A lot of people on the T&A website seem to want Yeates to fail next season looking at these ratings... Totally agree... Any striker would find it hard to score a goal when he's got his back to goal and the ball is flying at his throat! Which is what was happening to McLean at times last season!! Play the ball through to him and let him run on to it. He has shown he knows where there net is!![/p][/quote]Previously we have seen a one dimensional approach that only works if you have a target man (eg Hanson) and a pacey striker (eg Wells) to run on to it. McLean's strength is his ability to play in every direction. I do not think that he will have the same problems as last season because the style of play will alter. We saw signs of this towards the end of the campaign. For me, the key is to find the midfielder who can kick on from Gary Jones. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -129

4:09pm Wed 14 May 14

gordon ramsay says...

someONE with far too much time on their hands distorting the thumbs up and down..... how sad
someONE with far too much time on their hands distorting the thumbs up and down..... how sad gordon ramsay
  • Score: -28

5:42pm Wed 14 May 14

bcfcincheshire says...

Let's all give our complete amd total support to all the players that comprise next season's squad...whether or not they have already played for the club
That way the slate is wiped clean and all have a chance to contribute to the potential play off campaign. ..and emulate the 1985 squad achievement 30 years after the event...
Let's all give our complete amd total support to all the players that comprise next season's squad...whether or not they have already played for the club That way the slate is wiped clean and all have a chance to contribute to the potential play off campaign. ..and emulate the 1985 squad achievement 30 years after the event... bcfcincheshire
  • Score: -5

9:47pm Wed 14 May 14

pokertee says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.
donnt you mean bcafc? or are you a bristol city supporter? ;-)
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: Can't say I was impressed from what I saw of Mark Yeates, he came with a great pedigree but failed to stamp his authority on games. I guess we'll see next season what he can do but I'm sceptical as to what he actually brings to the BCFC table. If Mark stays he needs to do far better. Dean Furman would have been a far better acquisition in my opinion.[/p][/quote]donnt you mean bcafc? or are you a bristol city supporter? ;-) pokertee
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree