Report this comment
  • "I don't know if this "treatise" has done the rounds but I'll post it a couple of times on the forum for your information and reaction. The source must remain anonymous but is reliable. The document is authentic. The author is inferred. Of course, the names included are "fictitious" and any similarities with persons living is "unintentional" and "purely coincidental"!

    "When I agreed to purchase the club along with Mark Moore in September last year it was to continue along with the good work that had already been done. it was clear to everyone involved that there was a deficit in 2014 of £500K and that this figure would need to be found, it was never the case that cost cutting would be the way forward.

    I had attracted a large investment which was coming from a development company known for its development of sports stadiums and complexes, they were to rake a share of the club as well as develop the stadium and adjoining land at Odsal. The initial input into the rugby was £1m for 2014. I had also attracted a number of smaller investors into the club to help with its running. These people were given sight of the full accounting position and shortfalls known to the club,

    When it was clear we were not going to be able to pay Omar the agreed amount on the date agreed I approached him and got an extension. I had agreed that we would pay the costs he incurred during that time. My fellow directors at the time thought they could legally and I guess morally just not pay what was contractually owed. I would like to point out that I am being pursued for over £150k still.

    When I left the club in November last year, there was no debt to HMRC and the Purchase Ledger was running at about £300k. The threat of a winding up petition by HMRC was down to those in charge after I left.

    Numerous meetings were held with the RFL and again at no point were cost cutting measures spoken of or even thought about. We all wanted the Bulls to be successful and cost cutting would jeopardise the chances of a play off position. After a meeting at the RFL at which I was not present I was informed by Mark Moore that Blake Solly had said that they didn’t have to pay Omar Khan and he also said that I had failed a fit and proper test and should leave the club immediately as per RFL rules. This came to me as a bit of a shock as I had been running the club and been an “influential person” within the club for the previous 12 Months. I haven’t to date received any correspondence from the RFL to that effect. The board then approached the developer directly, who after seeing the way business was being conducted decided to walk away.

    A number of blatant lies were told by the trio (Moore Calvert and Watt) & Robbie about John Bateman – At all times everyone was kept informed. John phoned me and said “I want to leave the Bulls”. The meeting was set up with Ian Lenegan and Andrew Calvert was going to come along, he called me that morning and said he couldn’t make due another commitment. Before any offer was accepted all four of them agreed to the sale price. O then say at the fans forum that they knew nothing of it.
    Other stories relating to hidden costs which they knew nothing about again are stories, all of them had full access to all documents and accounting system in place and it was always known that monies had to be put in as the RFL had kept 50% of the SKY money. Omar had been funding the club until he left.
    The pre pack administration was to get rid of Omar’s debt without paying him a penny and not for any other reason. The parties (allegedly) behind this were Ralph Rimmer, Blake Solly, Mark Moore, Andrew Calvert, Ian Watt. The administration was put together with the RFL’s full backing and knowledge since December 2013. This has left the club in limbo once again.
    From the moment I was asked to leave the club I have refrained from making any comment, publicly or privately. I now feel its time to set the record straight.
    I believe this has to do with the purchaser. Omar and his team were never wanted in the Rugby League circle and the implementation of in essence a £1.25m fine, the 1st of its kind within rugby & football league. This never gave the bull’s a chance of staying within losses that were manageable.

    It’s clear the Rugby League didn’t want Omar’s sort or the type of investment I had attracted in the game. They should have grown a larger set of balls at the time and said NO. Instead there was a lack of cooperation, extreme penalties, a general lack of support and an intention to prevent payment to Omar Khan which ended a bright future for the bulls. Ralph Rimmer has publicly said that Moore didn’t pay Omar Khan and tried to use the company money to buy the company. What he didn’t add was that Blake Solly advised Moore not to pay.

    I heard that the administrator David Wilson spoke out loud at the creditors meeting and stated that he had tried to contact me on numerous occasion about the alleged financial irregularities. This never happened. I have since sent numerous emails to Mr Wilson requesting the correspondence sent whilst he was allegedly trying to get in touch, again to this date I have received nothing.

    The Bulls was a major part of my life and I wish them every success in the future, if the performance against Warrington was anything to go by, they will be fine. However their own governing body caused the demise we have seen recently.

    Good luck Bradford Bulls. You are one of the best teams in Super League."

    Results are not going the Bulls' way. Wakefield on a roll away from home, no less. The Bulls now have to win at least 5 games MORE than the teams immediately above them. A big (impossible?) ask!
    If the above is to be believed then it would appear the RFL (and possibly other Super League chairmen) wanted the Bulls out from a long way back and, maybe, now the players (and the fans) are realising this. The deck appears to have been stacked and still Red Hall continued to deal from the bottom. There are so many conflicting reports that it is hard to fathom who is telling the truth but none of them seem to emerging with much credit or standing."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Saints complete nine-try whitewash as more Bradford Bulls injury woe bites hard

Saints complete nine-try whitewash as more Bradford Bulls injury woe bites hard

Sam Wood leaps to contest a high ball with Matt Dawson of St Helens

Bulls v St Helens match action

Bulls v St Helens match action

Bulls v St Helens match action

Bulls v St Helens match action

Bulls v St Helens match action

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford Bulls Reporter

Bradford Bulls 0, St Helens 50

After two momentous victories, this was a brutal reality check for the Bulls.

St Helens, expertly guided around the field by the artful hands and educated boot of Luke Walsh, were 22-0 up and in total control at half-time.

Francis Cummins’ men had been genuinely competitive in the opening quarter and were trailing only 6-0 in the 28th minute.

Adam O’Brien almost scampered over the line from acting half with the score 16-0 and the interval approaching.

A try for Bradford at that point may have proved key in establishing a platform for another famous comeback.

Probably not, though, as St Helens always gave the inescapable impression they could move through the gears when the opportunities arose – and so it proved.

They scored five more tries after the break to underline the gulf in class between the sides and reaffirm their title credentials.

The Bulls coughed up far too much possession and generally struggled to complete their sets.

The omens were not good for Cummins' troops going back to Friday night when Wakefield won away from home for the second time in six days.

Wildcats skipper Danny Kirmond was a radio summariser at the Provident Stadium yesterday and would surely have been rooting for St Helens.

After following up their win at Hull with another victory at Widnes on Friday, Richard Agar’s men now lie eight points clear of the Bulls.

It has to be remembered that Cummins’ squad was decimated by injuries once again yesterday.

Manase Manuokafoa failed to recover from a hamstring injury and Luke Gale was also absent owing to sickness and then feeling his hamstring tighten up in training.

Their late withdrawals saw them join Matty Blythe, James Donaldson, Dale Ferguson, Jamal Fakir, Brett Kearney and Oliver Roberts on the sidelines.

At least half that number would command a place in the starting line-up and the rugby gods are just not smiling on the Bulls right now.

Coming up against a Saints side boasting seasoned Super League performers such as Jon Wilkin, James Roby, Paul Wellens and Sia Soliola, along with a number of rising home-grown stars and stellar recruits such as Walsh, was always going to be a mountainous task.

Whereas Saints could call on the services of Australia scrum half Walsh, the Bulls were missing their creative fulcrum in Gale.

His absence meant that Danny Addy partnered Lee Gaskell in the halves, while Elliot Kear lined up at full back.

Chev Walker was fit to return after a neck injury, while Antonio Kaufusi – one of the Bulls’ better players – and Adam Sidlow were the two starting props.

Yet Saints were superior in every department and Walsh looked to be in a class of his own at times as he scored a try, created several others and kicked seven goals in an 18-point haul.

The close-season signing from Penrith is being talked about as the playmaker that Saints have craved since the departure of the legendary Sean Long.

There was a stirring minute’s silence and minute’s applause to the victims of the Valley Parade fire 29 years ago.

The Bulls held their own for much of the opening quarter, with Gaskell looking particularly lively with the ball in hand.

Matt Diskin and Addy combined to find the former St Helens talent early on but his progress was halted just short of the line.

But Walsh gradually took the game by the scruff of the neck and emerged as the pivotal figure.

The visitors led in the 11th minute when young centre Matty Dawson embarked on a searing break inside the left channel from deep inside his own half.

Kear made a fine tackle to prevent a certain try but it was to no avail as Jon Wilkin went over from the next tackle after taking Roby’s short pass to cross from close range.

Bradford steadied themselves and some strong defending kept Saints at bay, with replacement prop Mose Masoe losing the ball as he looked certain to crash over the whitewash.

Gaskell tested Jonny Lomax with some searching high bombs but a teasing kick from Roby forced Joe Arundel to concede a goal-line drop-out in the 22nd minute.

It was only 6-0 at that point but Saints began to up the tempo and the Bulls struggled for any kind of fluency or pressure on their visitors’ line.

Gaskell failed to find touch with a penalty and Saints soon had a second try.

It came when Lance Hohaia was allowed the freedom of Odsal to scythe through the Bradford defence and, as Kear tackled him, the New Zealander found Walsh in support to race over from 20 metres out.

It was a fine score but all too easy from a defensive point of view – and three minutes later Saints scored a third try that was textbook in its simplicity.

Walsh chipped a kick to the right corner and winger Tommy Makinson evaded the attention of a statuesque Bradford defence to send the onrushing Lomax over the line.

For Bradford it was proving to be a tough afternoon’s work but Jay Pitts impressed with a fine shift at loose forward.

At 16-0 the Bulls were staring at defeat but Jamie Foster threatened to break clear down the left flank only to knock on.

Two minutes later the hosts went agonisingly close when, after good work from Kaufusi and Pitts, O’Brien spun away from a Saints defender from acting half.

He looked certain to cross the line before Saints replacement Soliola made a challenge to keep him at bay.

The visitors then grabbed a fourth try shortly before the half-time whistle as Wilkin took Walsh’s pass to score with consummate ease as he marched over the line unopposed.

Walsh’s third goal made it 22-0 – and it got worse for the Bulls six minutes after the break when Saints scored again.

Lomax advanced forward at pace and to his right found Jones, whose neat pass sent Makinson over in the right corner for a well-worked try.

That took the sting out of any hopes of a Bradford fightback and, as if to underline their superiority, Saints scored again six minutes later.

Walker lost the ball on halfway, gifting Saints possession with a wayward pass which soon led to Hohaia sending Adam Swift over in the left corner.

It was depressing stuff from a Bradford perspective and the miserable weather made it even harder to stomach for the rain-soaked supporters on the terraces.

When Saints scored their seventh try of the match in the 62nd minute, a number of Bulls fans began making their way for the exits.

Again it was simple stuff as Walsh’s pass found Soliola coming in on the angle ten metres out and he plunged over the line inside the left channel.

Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook then barrelled over from close range for an eighth visiting try, before Roby completed the scoring when he scooted over from dummy half.

Attendance: 6,311

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree