FT: Tranmere 1 City 2

This live event has finished

Latest

  • Team news
  • Twitter reaction
  • Match updates
  • Report

4:59pm

City finished with a flourish and relegated Tranmere with a come-from-behind win at Prenton Park.
Goals in the last ten minutes from strikers Jon Stead and Aaron Mclean clinched victory against a home side reduced to ten men before half-time.
City began with an early flurry – only to concede the softest of goals after five minutes.
Jon McLaughlin tried to palm Matthew Pennington’s looping effort over the bar but only succeeded in batting it into the net.
Defensively, City looked shaky on several occasions and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Max Power both could have doubled the lead.
But tempers rose after Ryan Lowe seemed to stand on Rory McArdle and Tranmere winger Junior Brown was shown a straight red for a lunge on Nathan Doyle.
City had an hour to make the man advantage count as Tranmere hung on and listened anxiously for scores elsewhere.
While fortunes fluctuated for Tranmere’s nearest rivals Crewe and Notts County, City struggled to turn possession into goals.
But the equaliser finally arrived nine minutes from time when James Meredith’s pass landed to Stead whose deflected shot beat keeper Jason Mooney.
And with Tranmere deflated, it got even better for the visitors as Mclean fired home from just inside the area.

4:57pm

And that's the final whistle.... City win and Tranmere are down

4:56pm

McLaughlin tips over Pennington shot. Just time for a Tranmere corner

4:56pm

4:55pm

"Are you watching Ronnie Moore" ask the away end. Very loudly

4:52pm

Four added minutes

4:51pm

Tranmere subs: Rowe for Power and Kirby for Ridehalgh

4:50pm

Aaron Mclean goal machine is the chant now....

4:49pm

City have turned this round as MCLEAN takes Bennett's pass and thumps home from just inside the area. 2-1 up!

4:47pm

4:46pm

Akpa Akpro has just tried possibly the worst lob of all time....

Koumas put him clear and the striker made an utter hash of his shot and flicked it gently into McLaughlin's arms

4:46pm

Well-timed block from Meredith in box after Koumas lines up Lowe for a shot.

4:44pm

Tension in the corner between the away end and home stand. Quite a few police gathering as Tranmere head towards the drop

4:43pm

City are level! Jon STEAD scores with a deflection after Meredith cross is turned into his path. 1-1

4:41pm

4:40pm

Back-to-back City corners. Can they lift themselves and find an equaliser?

4:39pm

The crowd reaction to news from elsewhere is more entertaining than the game itself!

4:37pm

And, significantly, Notts County have equalised at Oldham. So it's as you were - Tranmere are back in the bottom four!

4:37pm

Having a few connection issues but back now, touch wood.

Doyle has been replaced by De Vita

4:28pm

City having all the play now but there's no cutting edge to it.

4:28pm

4:27pm

We are staying up is the cry around Prenton Park. But there are still 25 minutes to go...

4:26pm

Now they are genuine home cheers again because Oldham are winning. So, as it stands, Notts County are going down

4:25pm

Surreal scenes here as news of a goal at Crewe comes through.

First it's the Tranmere end that erupts.... then it's City when they realise that it's Crewe who have scored again!

4:22pm

Now it's Yeates's turn to shoot high into the away end. Not that it's dampened the spirits there

4:21pm

City making double sub in 59th minute. Meredith and Bennett for Thompson and Drury

4:20pm

Davies crucial interception from Power in the City box

4:17pm

Darby crosses deep into the box and Drury pops up to drill shot over. Lot of City possession

4:09pm

Drury crosses beyond the far post and Stead meets it with a meaty volley over the bar

4:07pm

We're off once more

3:53pm

Second half could be a bit tasty because there's no love lost out there - or in the dug-outs

3:52pm

And that's half-time. Ten-man Tranmere lead 1-0 but still in the bottom four

3:51pm

Stead tries shot on the turn from just outside the box but it goes wide

3:50pm

Doyle is now the official public enemy number one and getting booed every time he touches the ball

3:46pm

Five minutes of added time

3:44pm

Goodison hobbles to the touchline for further treatment

3:43pm

Jones - who's on a booking - fouls Goodison and the Tranmere skipper stays down for good measure. Disappointingly for the home crowd, there is no second yellow for the City captain...

3:42pm

Mooney does well to hold on to low cross from Drury with both strikers waiting to pounce

3:42pm

City corner but Goodison eases McArdle out of the way as Jones kick comes over

3:41pm

Tranmere set up two banks of four behind Lowe on his own up front. It's up to City to break them down - something they struggle to do without genuine pace

3:37pm

Good strength from Mclean and then Stead to win a City corner off Goodison.

3:36pm

City switch off at the back again to allow Power to sneak in down the byline before Davies whacks clear. Been very slack at the back

3:34pm

"We are staying up" is the chant - from the City end taunting the home fans nearest them. It's getting livelier by the second here

3:33pm

Ridiculous lunge from the Tranmere winger - and even more stupid that some of the fans are clapping him off

3:31pm

Brown is SENT OFF for scything into Doyle. Tranmere down to ten men

3:28pm

Now it is getting heated as Taylor clatters into Stead. Again he escapes with a warning

3:26pm

Ref now talking to fourth official and called Phil Parkinson over. Trying to defuse the situation

3:26pm

Temprs flare as Lowe appears to stand on McArdle right in front of City dug-out. Keeper coach Lee Butler furious and squares up to Tranmere academy head Shaun Garnett

3:23pm

Bending cross from Thompson just misses the far post.

3:21pm

McLaughlin pushes away Power's header from Ridehalgh cross. City keeper not having the most comfortable game

3:19pm

They thought they'd scored again - at least the two guys who jumped up in front the press box did!

But Akpa Akpro's low drive is just the wrong side of the post with McLaughlin at full stretch

3:16pm

Jones goes into the book for dragging back Jason Koumas

3:16pm

Positive run from Yeates but Jones robbed as he takes a pass midway inside Tranmere half

3:15pm

The atmosphere gets a bit more muted as news filters through that Crewe are winning as well. So it's as you were in the table right now

3:12pm

Another Tranmere corner, certainly got their tails up after being gifted that goal

3:12pm

Corner for Tranmere - cleared by local lad Gary Jones.

3:10pm

Applause through the seventh minute in aid of Joe Thompson, the Tranmere winger fighting throat cancer

3:10pm

Mclean almost responds straight away with an effort that is smuggled away by Mooney.

3:09pm

Slack defending as Tranmere take the lead in soft fashion. Doyle gave the ball away in a challenge, PENNINGTON tries a shot and McLaughlin lets it drop into the net. 1-0

3:06pm

Parkinson responds to the loud request with a wave to the City fans...

3:04pm

3:04pm

Jones finds Thompson who hangs cross towards far post. It's half-cleared as far as Doyle whose 20-yard half volley is straight at Mooney.

3:02pm

Cross-cum-shot from Mclean turned behind by Mooney for a very early City corner

3:01pm

3:01pm

Tranmere in a team huddle. City looking very relaxed. Home side get us going, kicking towards the away end...

3:00pm

2:54pm

2:54pm

Away stand continuing to fill up. Reckon around 2,000 City fans have made the trip to Birkenhead

2:53pm

Three banners in the Tranmere end: One More Battle, Make It Count and Believe

2:49pm

2:48pm

Guy in suit performing live version of Nessum Dorma. That's got the crowd going - City fans respond with a resounding chorus of "going down"...

2:40pm

Sounds like this will be Ian Goodison's final game for Tranmere. Expect him to be ever so slightly pumped then...

2:36pm

Party mode in the away end. All the songs coming out...

2:30pm

2:29pm

After all the late drama in the Championship at lunchtime, I wonder if League One will follow suit?

There's going to be a lot of anxious checking of the Crewe and Notts County scores from the locals.

City don't have to worry about any of that - but have a score to settle after the earlier game

2:21pm

2:17pm

Tranmere keeper Owain Fon Williams misses out with a groin injury so Jason Mooney makes only his third start of the season.

Ian Goodison is also back, which should warm things up in the away end after the Kyel Reid incident at Valley Parade in October....

TRANMERE: Mooney, Pennington, Goodison, Taylor, Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings, Koumas, Brown, Akpa Akpro, Lowe. Subs: Holmes, Baggie, Rowe, Ramsbottom, Kirby, Stockton, Arthurworrey.

2:13pm

2:10pm

And now Birmingham have equalised in stoppage time! So it's gonna be Doncaster down instead...

2:05pm

2:04pm

Garry Thompson's reward for scoring last week's winner is a start today.

He comes in for Raffaele De Vita - the only change from the Crawley game.

So it looks like City will resort to a standard 4-4-2 with Mark Yeates playing on the left side.

CITY: McLaughlin, Darby, McArdle, Davies, Drury, Thompson, Doyle, Jones, Yeates, Mclean, Stead. Subs: Meredith, Dolan, McHugh, De Vita, McBurnie, Bennett, Jameson.

1:55pm

.... and no sooner had I typed that then they pull one back. But still need a draw to overhaul Doncaster, who are losing 1-0 at champions Leicester

1:53pm

It looks like a trip to Birmingham on the list for next season. They are now trailing Bolton 2-0

1:50pm

The City fans are in good voice in the Prenton Park pub....

1:49pm

1:49pm

The pitch looks in great nick and is currently being watered. City's squad have already been out for a good look.

1:48pm

Good afternoon and welcome for the final time as City bring down the curtain on another season at Tranmere.

It's all about the home team today as they start the game in the fourth relegation spot.

Tranmere are one point behind Crewe and two adrift of Notts County - defeat and they are doomed.

 

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:25pm Sat 3 May 14

birstallbantam56 says...

Well done Johnny Mac!!! We need a new keeper!
Well done Johnny Mac!!! We need a new keeper! birstallbantam56
  • Score: -10

3:47pm Sat 3 May 14

Victor Clayton says...

Can we score against 10 men?
Can we score against 10 men? Victor Clayton
  • Score: 3

4:27pm Sat 3 May 14

tyker7745 says...

looks like we are as toothless as my old gran!1 Parky in another row :can he not simply concentrate on the game?
looks like we are as toothless as my old gran!1 Parky in another row :can he not simply concentrate on the game? tyker7745
  • Score: -10

4:53pm Sat 3 May 14

Baby Bantam says...

McClean again!! Hope this is a sign of things to come next season
McClean again!! Hope this is a sign of things to come next season Baby Bantam
  • Score: 16

5:10pm Sat 3 May 14

Victor Clayton says...

Well done city. Could stead and McLean be the future?
Well done city. Could stead and McLean be the future? Victor Clayton
  • Score: 1

5:25pm Sat 3 May 14

torreyman says...

What a good win 59 pts 11th in the league would you fans have taken that at the start of the season ?? I know I would
What a good win 59 pts 11th in the league would you fans have taken that at the start of the season ?? I know I would torreyman
  • Score: 29

7:44pm Sat 3 May 14

bcfc1903 says...

Excellent result and finish to a very hard first season in this division. Well done, 11th is only four places lower than last seasons finish, great from all the players, the fans were superb again today, great effort and magnificent backing for the lads in Claret and Amber!!!!!!
Excellent result and finish to a very hard first season in this division. Well done, 11th is only four places lower than last seasons finish, great from all the players, the fans were superb again today, great effort and magnificent backing for the lads in Claret and Amber!!!!!! bcfc1903
  • Score: 11

9:36pm Sat 3 May 14

schroeder says...

birstallbantam56 wrote:
Well done Johnny Mac!!! We need a new keeper!
Why do we? our goal difference is +3 and our biggest defeat was only by 3 goals to nil.
[quote][p][bold]birstallbantam56[/bold] wrote: Well done Johnny Mac!!! We need a new keeper![/p][/quote]Why do we? our goal difference is +3 and our biggest defeat was only by 3 goals to nil. schroeder
  • Score: 8

9:45pm Sat 3 May 14

schroeder says...

Well done City, good solid season back in league one. Mclean has scores the winning goal in 3 games of the last 8 games... whereas Wells has hardly set the Championship alight!
Well done City, good solid season back in league one. Mclean has scores the winning goal in 3 games of the last 8 games... whereas Wells has hardly set the Championship alight! schroeder
  • Score: 5

10:06pm Sat 3 May 14

Banktop says...

tyker7745 wrote:
looks like we are as toothless as my old gran!1 Parky in another row :can he not simply concentrate on the game?
Tyker, you really are a prat!
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: looks like we are as toothless as my old gran!1 Parky in another row :can he not simply concentrate on the game?[/p][/quote]Tyker, you really are a prat! Banktop
  • Score: 11

10:08pm Sat 3 May 14

schroeder says...

Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down.
I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.
Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down. I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered. schroeder
  • Score: 10

10:19pm Sat 3 May 14

Victor Clayton says...

schroeder wrote:
Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down.
I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.
I agree that we have not really been in any serious trouble. But without a change in tact, ie McLean and Hanson up front and 2 holding central midfield players I think next season will be a struggle.
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down. I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.[/p][/quote]I agree that we have not really been in any serious trouble. But without a change in tact, ie McLean and Hanson up front and 2 holding central midfield players I think next season will be a struggle. Victor Clayton
  • Score: -7

10:36pm Sat 3 May 14

Aussie Bantam says...

schroeder wrote:
Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down.
I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.
if we are much better than teams below us , why is it the bottom clubs beat us?
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down. I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.[/p][/quote]if we are much better than teams below us , why is it the bottom clubs beat us? Aussie Bantam
  • Score: -4

8:15am Sun 4 May 14

schroeder says...

Aussie Bantam wrote:
schroeder wrote:
Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down.
I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.
if we are much better than teams below us , why is it the bottom clubs beat us?
We beat Leyton Orient, Peterborough, and Brentford. Does that make us better than them?
[quote][p][bold]Aussie Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down. I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.[/p][/quote]if we are much better than teams below us , why is it the bottom clubs beat us?[/p][/quote]We beat Leyton Orient, Peterborough, and Brentford. Does that make us better than them? schroeder
  • Score: 12

11:08am Sun 4 May 14

birstallbantam56 says...

schroeder wrote:
birstallbantam56 wrote:
Well done Johnny Mac!!! We need a new keeper!
Why do we? our goal difference is +3 and our biggest defeat was only by 3 goals to nil.
This is not just down to Jon - he does have a decent back four in front of him. He has conceded a number of soft goals and this is frustrating.
There could be a spot of complacency in his game as there is no competition for the shirt. Signing another keeper will be good all round - I would not get rid of Jon as he has developed in his time at City but competition is required
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]birstallbantam56[/bold] wrote: Well done Johnny Mac!!! We need a new keeper![/p][/quote]Why do we? our goal difference is +3 and our biggest defeat was only by 3 goals to nil.[/p][/quote]This is not just down to Jon - he does have a decent back four in front of him. He has conceded a number of soft goals and this is frustrating. There could be a spot of complacency in his game as there is no competition for the shirt. Signing another keeper will be good all round - I would not get rid of Jon as he has developed in his time at City but competition is required birstallbantam56
  • Score: 3

3:03pm Sun 4 May 14

Colin Allcars says...

I see Parky and Parkin were involved in yet another touch-line spat, what's up with them?
I see Parky and Parkin were involved in yet another touch-line spat, what's up with them? Colin Allcars
  • Score: -6

5:45pm Sun 4 May 14

KnightMcCall says...

Colin Allcars wrote:
I see Parky and Parkin were involved in yet another touch-line spat, what's up with them?
If one of your players is stamped on in front of you the you would have yo be a robot not to react. PP seemed to be the peacemaker though so stop looking for issues that are not there.
[quote][p][bold]Colin Allcars[/bold] wrote: I see Parky and Parkin were involved in yet another touch-line spat, what's up with them?[/p][/quote]If one of your players is stamped on in front of you the you would have yo be a robot not to react. PP seemed to be the peacemaker though so stop looking for issues that are not there. KnightMcCall
  • Score: 4

7:02pm Sun 4 May 14

moanmoanwhingewhinge says...

Colin Allcars wrote:
I see Parky and Parkin were involved in yet another touch-line spat, what's up with them?
Perhaps they get annoyed when they see their players getting stamped on right in front of them? Particularly after Tranmere's dirty antics in the home game. Sending them down was a perfect revenge for that disgraceful display at VP and it was particularly funny to see the reaction from Tranmere's fans in the block next to our fans, a few hundred of whom appeared to have turned up merely to goad our fans and threaten our players and staff, rather than actually watch the game. Just a pity that wretch Moore wasn't still in charge. Absolutely fantastic support from City, you'd think we were going for promotion the atmosphere was that good. Roll on next season
[quote][p][bold]Colin Allcars[/bold] wrote: I see Parky and Parkin were involved in yet another touch-line spat, what's up with them?[/p][/quote]Perhaps they get annoyed when they see their players getting stamped on right in front of them? Particularly after Tranmere's dirty antics in the home game. Sending them down was a perfect revenge for that disgraceful display at VP and it was particularly funny to see the reaction from Tranmere's fans in the block next to our fans, a few hundred of whom appeared to have turned up merely to goad our fans and threaten our players and staff, rather than actually watch the game. Just a pity that wretch Moore wasn't still in charge. Absolutely fantastic support from City, you'd think we were going for promotion the atmosphere was that good. Roll on next season moanmoanwhingewhinge
  • Score: 3

7:05pm Sun 4 May 14

moanmoanwhingewhinge says...

tyker7745 wrote:
looks like we are as toothless as my old gran!1 Parky in another row :can he not simply concentrate on the game?
Why not wait til a games actually finished before moaning? Might make you look less clueless. Parky wasn't the one rowing and it was provoked by yet another act of thuggery from a Tranmere player, stamping on a player right in front of our bench
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: looks like we are as toothless as my old gran!1 Parky in another row :can he not simply concentrate on the game?[/p][/quote]Why not wait til a games actually finished before moaning? Might make you look less clueless. Parky wasn't the one rowing and it was provoked by yet another act of thuggery from a Tranmere player, stamping on a player right in front of our bench moanmoanwhingewhinge
  • Score: 5

10:17pm Sun 4 May 14

Aussie Bantam says...

schroeder wrote:
Aussie Bantam wrote:
schroeder wrote:
Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down.
I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.
if we are much better than teams below us , why is it the bottom clubs beat us?
We beat Leyton Orient, Peterborough, and Brentford. Does that make us better than them?
well maybe if we find a way to beat the cellar dwellers we will be up there with the teams in the playoff's. I get your point though, well done City for those special win's.
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Aussie Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: Nothing has been difficult about this season. We've always had a decent cushion off the relegation zone. City fans who thought we were in real threat of relegation was only because of past disappointing seasons where it would have been typical. I don't think any outsider thought were in serious danger of going down. I've always been confident of a mid table finish because we have a much better team than most below us, we score in most games and have never been hammered.[/p][/quote]if we are much better than teams below us , why is it the bottom clubs beat us?[/p][/quote]We beat Leyton Orient, Peterborough, and Brentford. Does that make us better than them?[/p][/quote]well maybe if we find a way to beat the cellar dwellers we will be up there with the teams in the playoff's. I get your point though, well done City for those special win's. Aussie Bantam
  • Score: -2

10:24am Mon 5 May 14

tyker7745 says...

a vey good season which could have been so much better had we not had that terrible run and not been beaten by teams in the relegation section and those slightly above . We did relatively well against teams above us and that was excellent.

Did we get lax against hose lowly teams and simply expect to beat them by simply turning up. if so then that needs to be resolved.

A s stated last year we desperately need a driving midfield player, a box to box player, who can support the forwards at a pace

So
a vey good season which could have been so much better had we not had that terrible run and not been beaten by teams in the relegation section and those slightly above . We did relatively well against teams above us and that was excellent. Did we get lax against hose lowly teams and simply expect to beat them by simply turning up. if so then that needs to be resolved. A s stated last year we desperately need a driving midfield player, a box to box player, who can support the forwards at a pace So tyker7745
  • Score: 0

7:20pm Tue 6 May 14

bcfc1903 says...

There were reasons why BCFC had a dip of form, we lost Davies, Reid, Meredith to long term injuries and Nahki Wells to the dog shaggers, there isn't a team in this league (except Wolves) that could have lost such quality without serious repercussions in regards to form. In the end BCFC finished a very respectable 11th in league one, an excellent job done by the management and players!!!
There were reasons why BCFC had a dip of form, we lost Davies, Reid, Meredith to long term injuries and Nahki Wells to the dog shaggers, there isn't a team in this league (except Wolves) that could have lost such quality without serious repercussions in regards to form. In the end BCFC finished a very respectable 11th in league one, an excellent job done by the management and players!!! bcfc1903
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree