Wyke 20, Allerton Bywater 20

A barnstorming late try from prop forward Warren Pitman earned Wyke a share of the Pennine League spoils as they saved the best until last in their final Division One outing at Towngate.

The black and whites – who have had a miserable season, winning just one of their 16 outings – made a dreadful start when Allerton wingman Adam Walker strolled over in the corner.

The experience and menace of prop forward Ian Wormald then came to the fore as the hosts charged downfield and he was unlucky to have a power effort denied for a forward pass.

A bout of fisticuffs between Wormald and opposite number Steve Tinnion saw both players sent to the sin bin and the home cause suffered another blow when centre Tom Firth raced over from a blatant forward pass to increase the visitors’ tally.

Wyke produced a short kick from the restart and full back Tim Stones, who had a great match in attack, collected to race 40 metres, only to fall within inches of the whitewash.

But he got to his feet smartly and a quick play-the-ball enabled second-row forward Aaron Priestley the chance to reach the chalk out wide.

Wingman Danny Stocks was bundled into touch at the flag as the revival continued and he made no mistake when presented with an identical opportunity just before the interval whistle to close the first half level at 8-8.

Wyke were again slow out of the blocks after the break, allowing stand-off Dan Lazenby to scamper in under the posts for an easy six-pointer.

But they soon made amends when speedy three-quarter Sam Kittsen showed a clean pair of heels from the ruck, leaving scrum half Andy Russell to tag on the extras.

The tit-for-tat continued when Tinnion barged his way to the chalk for another converted try to edge Bywater back in charge at 20-14.

But the hosts, with man of the match second-row forward Simon Owen and hooker Ian Watkinson organising the troops, were far from finished.

With time running out, Pitman hit the accelerator to cross at the side of the uprights for a richly earned try and Russell calmly made sure of full reward to finish the game all square.