Greg Burke blow as Bradford Bulls fall well short at Hull

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Greg Burke looks to offload a pass against Hull before his Bulls debut was curtailed by a shoulder injury Greg Burke looks to offload a pass against Hull before his Bulls debut was curtailed by a shoulder injury

Greg Burke could be set for a spell on the sidelines after sustaining a painful shoulder injury during last night’s 44-16 defeat at Hull FC.

The Wigan forward made his Bulls debut off the bench but was withdrawn in the second half after a collision left him in agony.

The 21-year-old joined Bradford earlier this week on a one-month loan and the early prognosis suggests he may have suffered a dislocation.

Bulls coach Francis Cummins said: “Greg has a sore shoulder and it’s not looking good for him at the moment.

“We’ll get him x-rayed straight away and see how that develops. We don’t know yet if it’s dislocated, we just know he’s in a lot of pain.”

Burke’s injury blow capped an awful night for the Bulls, who Cummins admitted underperformed with a series of handling errors.

Captain Matt Diskin’s second-minute try gave them the perfect start but Hull quickly got on top and ran in six first-half scores to lead 32-10 at the break.

Cummins saw Adrian Purtell and Adam Henry, towards the end, also touch down but Hull added two more of their own after the restart.

The Bulls coach said: “We only really got down their end twice in the first half and scored both times.

“But you can’t give ten or 12 yardage errors away and we just came up with error after error.

“It seemed to be that what could go wrong did go wrong – but it can be a cruel game if you want to give the ball away, especially when Hull were playing well like that.

“They’ve got some big forwards who can start to get momentum and we just kept handing it back to them.”

Cummins started with Danny Addy at stand-off and kept on-loan Leeds rookie Liam Sutcliffe on the bench until the second half.

The introduction of the 19-year-old gave the Bulls an added spark in attack and Cummins said: “We looked like we hadn’t played together for long periods and I went with the lads who had been in the team the week before.

“That was to get us going initially but we probably looked a little bit better when Sutty came on.

“We showed a lot more spirit in the second half and it was better but still not good enough. We’re going to need to be better next week against Huddersfield.”

Chev Walker was rested last night but should come back to replace on-loan Giants prop Anthony Mullally, who is ineligible to face his parent club.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:46am Sat 8 Mar 14

gavskidoodle says...

Another woeful display. Need I say more!!
Another woeful display. Need I say more!! gavskidoodle
  • Score: -1

8:50am Sat 8 Mar 14

Loadofbull70 says...

Gale was shocking ! back to playing like a bunch of strangers. Our biggest strength is out team moral & spirit we need to channel this into our on pitch performance. No need to press the panic button we are still a class above Wakefield & London.
Gale was shocking ! back to playing like a bunch of strangers. Our biggest strength is out team moral & spirit we need to channel this into our on pitch performance. No need to press the panic button we are still a class above Wakefield & London. Loadofbull70
  • Score: 8

8:52am Sat 8 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games.
Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.
My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games. Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -2

8:57am Sat 8 Mar 14

THEMANOFSTEEL says...

Huddersfield will destroy us next week
Burke out injured 3 props left
Mullally can't play against Huddersfield 2 props left
Nas and sidlow for 80 mins don't think that's going to work
Huddersfield will destroy us next week Burke out injured 3 props left Mullally can't play against Huddersfield 2 props left Nas and sidlow for 80 mins don't think that's going to work THEMANOFSTEEL
  • Score: 2

9:32am Sat 8 Mar 14

Ralphie says...

Hopeless performance last night. Hull got 44 without even trying that hard. Kearney is absolutely awuful at full back missing tackles all over the place. Gales kicking from hand is poor. He seems to put so much effort into getting distance that he loses direction.
The good bit is that I can 't see any clubs coming in for our players after this performance!
Hopeless performance last night. Hull got 44 without even trying that hard. Kearney is absolutely awuful at full back missing tackles all over the place. Gales kicking from hand is poor. He seems to put so much effort into getting distance that he loses direction. The good bit is that I can 't see any clubs coming in for our players after this performance! Ralphie
  • Score: 5

9:58am Sat 8 Mar 14

Loadofbull70 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games.
Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.
I think Huddersfield will be too good for us but it could go our way Danny Brough needs rattling ! Hull KR is a game we can win as is Salford IMO. We dont need to worry about chasing the top 8 its all about survival. The RFL could end up with a huge problem as I think Catalans will struggle big time this season there is a definate unrest in their camp & with thier long term injury problems its going to be tough.

Last night was a game we could have won but the stupid errors , poor plays & lack of focus cost us.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games. Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.[/p][/quote]I think Huddersfield will be too good for us but it could go our way Danny Brough needs rattling ! Hull KR is a game we can win as is Salford IMO. We dont need to worry about chasing the top 8 its all about survival. The RFL could end up with a huge problem as I think Catalans will struggle big time this season there is a definate unrest in their camp & with thier long term injury problems its going to be tough. Last night was a game we could have won but the stupid errors , poor plays & lack of focus cost us. Loadofbull70
  • Score: 8

10:18am Sat 8 Mar 14

bradfordbronco says...

Loadofbull70 wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games.
Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.
I think Huddersfield will be too good for us but it could go our way Danny Brough needs rattling ! Hull KR is a game we can win as is Salford IMO. We dont need to worry about chasing the top 8 its all about survival. The RFL could end up with a huge problem as I think Catalans will struggle big time this season there is a definate unrest in their camp & with thier long term injury problems its going to be tough.

Last night was a game we could have won but the stupid errors , poor plays & lack of focus cost us.
Thanks, good to know I can stop worrying about the top 8!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Loadofbull70[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games. Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.[/p][/quote]I think Huddersfield will be too good for us but it could go our way Danny Brough needs rattling ! Hull KR is a game we can win as is Salford IMO. We dont need to worry about chasing the top 8 its all about survival. The RFL could end up with a huge problem as I think Catalans will struggle big time this season there is a definate unrest in their camp & with thier long term injury problems its going to be tough. Last night was a game we could have won but the stupid errors , poor plays & lack of focus cost us.[/p][/quote]Thanks, good to know I can stop worrying about the top 8!!!!! bradfordbronco
  • Score: 4

5:33pm Sun 9 Mar 14

steve.robinsonuk@gmail.com says...

well to be honesti cant see them surviving in super league its like the earl sxties al over again teve
well to be honesti cant see them surviving in super league its like the earl sxties al over again teve steve.robinsonuk@gmail.com
  • Score: -5

8:16pm Sun 9 Mar 14

northern pig says...

I know i keep prattling on about london but i have to keep making this point. Today's attendance at home to Warrington was 1,377.We should get in touch with them and get some advice on how to sustain superleague on such a meagre income. Or the direct telephone number at Red Hall that gives clubs financial assistance on a weekly basis. It stinks!!!. I wonder what trick the RFL will employ,to save them from relegation this year. They will probably call on the services of the DYNAMO, to create an illusion .That's not right,he's a Bradford lad. lol. pig
I know i keep prattling on about london but i have to keep making this point. Today's attendance at home to Warrington was 1,377.We should get in touch with them and get some advice on how to sustain superleague on such a meagre income. Or the direct telephone number at Red Hall that gives clubs financial assistance on a weekly basis. It stinks!!!. I wonder what trick the RFL will employ,to save them from relegation this year. They will probably call on the services of the DYNAMO, to create an illusion .That's not right,he's a Bradford lad. lol. pig northern pig
  • Score: 0

8:19pm Sun 9 Mar 14

nosher says...

I can see some massive defeats all season. We are not on a level playing field and can't compete. Of the televised sky games this week widnes, Leeds and huddersfield will easily beat us. Salford were nothing special but will get better. Watched some of manly v Melbourne yesterday, that's from a different planet.
I can see some massive defeats all season. We are not on a level playing field and can't compete. Of the televised sky games this week widnes, Leeds and huddersfield will easily beat us. Salford were nothing special but will get better. Watched some of manly v Melbourne yesterday, that's from a different planet. nosher
  • Score: 0

10:11am Mon 10 Mar 14

Loadofbull70 says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
Loadofbull70 wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games.
Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.
I think Huddersfield will be too good for us but it could go our way Danny Brough needs rattling ! Hull KR is a game we can win as is Salford IMO. We dont need to worry about chasing the top 8 its all about survival. The RFL could end up with a huge problem as I think Catalans will struggle big time this season there is a definate unrest in their camp & with thier long term injury problems its going to be tough.

Last night was a game we could have won but the stupid errors , poor plays & lack of focus cost us.
Thanks, good to know I can stop worrying about the top 8!!!!!
London Dick -
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Loadofbull70[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: My worry is I can't see the Bulls being on positive points until June at the earliest such us their run of games. Mentally that could be damaging. Huddersfield twice, Saints, Leeds, Catalan, Widness, Hull KR (last 3 away). It looks an uphill struggle. What isn't helping the cause with a waffer thin squad is there appears to be an injury being pick up every game.[/p][/quote]I think Huddersfield will be too good for us but it could go our way Danny Brough needs rattling ! Hull KR is a game we can win as is Salford IMO. We dont need to worry about chasing the top 8 its all about survival. The RFL could end up with a huge problem as I think Catalans will struggle big time this season there is a definate unrest in their camp & with thier long term injury problems its going to be tough. Last night was a game we could have won but the stupid errors , poor plays & lack of focus cost us.[/p][/quote]Thanks, good to know I can stop worrying about the top 8!!!!![/p][/quote]London Dick - Loadofbull70
  • Score: 0

10:56am Mon 10 Mar 14

poppastratton says...

For all the pre season fitness training it seems to me we have serious injuries piling up like last season. Do we, as a club, suffer more than our fair share or are all clubs the same?
For all the pre season fitness training it seems to me we have serious injuries piling up like last season. Do we, as a club, suffer more than our fair share or are all clubs the same? poppastratton
  • Score: 0

9:48am Tue 11 Mar 14

axelf1963 says...

Looks like I am not paying the wages then
Looks like I am not paying the wages then axelf1963
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree