'I had to leave Bradford Bulls' – Garreth Carvell opens up about decision to walk away from Odsal

TO HULL AND BACK: Hull handed Garreth Carvell his second debut in their season-opening clash with Catalan Dragons

Ironically, Carvell’s only appearance for the Bulls came in the pre-season friendly against Hull at Odsal

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author Exclusive by , Bradford Bulls Reporter

As the build-up to tomorrow night’s big game at Hull FC continues, Ross Heppenstall interviews the player whose controversial defection to the Black and Whites prompted threats of legal action. Here, Garreth Carvell talks openly about his reasons for leaving the Bulls.

At the Bulls’ pre-season media day on January 20, Garreth Carvell spoke of his hopes for the year ahead.

Of how his move to Bradford could lay the platform for a career in coaching.

He had signed for Francis Cummins’ side after turning down better money elsewhere.

There were plans to help out with the Bulls’ Under-16s and Academy sides.

Carvell’s performance the previous day in the opening pre-season friendly against (ironically, as it turned out) Hull FC merely confirmed that Bradford had recruited one of the best props around.

Less than two weeks later, following a winter of discontent behind the scenes, the club entered administration and Carvell was gone.

He used the TUPE legislation in refusing to transfer over his contract from OK Bulls Ltd and headed to Hull, where he had made his Super League name.

Carvell said: “As December came around, some problems started to arise but I was hopeful that things would get better and we would come out the other end.

“Certainly amongst the boys there was an air of optimism during pre-season and we felt like we could do something this year.

“Then all of a sudden the club was thrown into administration and that was the beginning of the end for me.

“What had happened was that the club had found quite a lot of debt, so anybody sensible would look at other options.

“We were allowed to go and do that in order to save the club money and help it survive.

“After the club went into administration at the end of January, I used the TUPE legislation to come out; I refused to change over.

“I just knew I couldn’t handle the stress; it was just the uncertainty of the whole situation.

“I’ve got a son with special needs and I need to be able to pay his hospital bills.

“My job as a father is to do the best by my family. If that is thrown into disarray and there is a chance I might not be able to support my family, then I have to make a tough choice.

“Despite what people think, I had to make that choice.”

Carvell was vilified in some quarters but his decision was made easier by the reaction of Cummins and his now former team-mates.

Telling his coach he was jumping ship and heading to Hull was the hardest part.

The former Warrington man, 32, explained: “I could have rung Franny and done it over the phone but I wanted to do it face to face.

“I did that and it was tough because I’m good friends with him and I think he’s a fantastic coach.

“I was really looking forward to seeing out my career at Bradford; that was my full intention but circumstances changed.

“I spoke to the lads about that and they were good about it too.

“As far as I was concerned, I didn’t really care what people thought, as long as I was square with Franny and the boys.

“I’ve had quite a bit of abuse on Twitter and things like that but people don’t know the full situation.

“They’re entitled to their opinion and will be disappointed as they will believe I’ve left them in the lurch, which I suppose to a certain extent I have.

“I do feel bad for that, I feel responsible for letting the boys down and letting Franny down but it was a decision that I couldn’t not make.

“Nobody really knew what was happening and that uncertainty unsettles you; it’s unnerving.

“Having personally not experienced it before made it ten times worse.”

Carvell’s refusal to transfer his contract to Bradford Bulls 2014 Ltd, the company led by the former board of directors, led to Bradford stating their intention to issue legal proceedings against him.

That now appears unlikely given that the club are in the hands of the administrator and are searching desperately for new owners.

But the effects of administration have become clear with Carvell, Jarrod Sammut and Nick Scruton having since departed in addition to the club being docked six points.

Carvell, who is currently commuting to Hull from his home in Warrington, said: “Jarrod and Scrutes have both pretty much made the same decision as me.

“Scrutes has a young lad and Jarrod’s missus is expecting, so you have to do what’s right by them.

“I know Scrutes has really struggled with it. I met him on Saturday and we had a good chat about it.

“It’s just the guilt and the thought that you’re walking away from the boys who are ready to get hurt and go into battle with you. That’s the hardest thing.”

The prop will not face his former team-mates when the Bulls travel to the KC Stadium aiming to see their six-point penalty wiped out after just four games.

Carvell, who misses out tomorrow night with an ankle injury, added: “It’s going to be tight, there’s no doubt about it, but I do genuinely feel that Bradford can survive on the field.

“That’s the only thing that the players have any control over.

“That’s the attitude which has got them through in previous years and can do so again.

“They have won two games already and they are quite willing to lay their lives down for each other.

“They are the best group of lads that I’ve ever been involved with and I hope they stay in Super League.”

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:04am Thu 6 Mar 14

fedupwiththeBS says...

There are bound to be vile comments posted on here about the man as there have been on twitter and Bulls Banter; but for me he has done what any of us would have done in his shoes and put his family first.

A massive loss to the club but no one can or should blame him.
There are bound to be vile comments posted on here about the man as there have been on twitter and Bulls Banter; but for me he has done what any of us would have done in his shoes and put his family first. A massive loss to the club but no one can or should blame him. fedupwiththeBS
  • Score: 32

12:46pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Ship rock says...

Unfortunately I has mixed emotions about carvels exit, I understand the need to put his family first and realise that his mind would not be focused on the job at hand which means his effort on the pitch would not be 100% so therefore good luck to him at hull! But on the other hand a contract and commitment to the bradford club, fans and fellow players should mean more to a player than it did like nick scruton, his decision to leave the bulls rocked emotionally and was very tough, carvel showed no remorse and jumped at first chance this is why anger is aimed at him! James Donaldson is by far showing loyalty and is leaving each match with his heart on the field, sloppy and emotionally rugby but by far to me the best form of success in recent times, with the difficulties off field the wins are more important than in the past 5 years. I love this club through rough times the mentality is only getting stronger COYB
Unfortunately I has mixed emotions about carvels exit, I understand the need to put his family first and realise that his mind would not be focused on the job at hand which means his effort on the pitch would not be 100% so therefore good luck to him at hull! But on the other hand a contract and commitment to the bradford club, fans and fellow players should mean more to a player than it did like nick scruton, his decision to leave the bulls rocked emotionally and was very tough, carvel showed no remorse and jumped at first chance this is why anger is aimed at him! James Donaldson is by far showing loyalty and is leaving each match with his heart on the field, sloppy and emotionally rugby but by far to me the best form of success in recent times, with the difficulties off field the wins are more important than in the past 5 years. I love this club through rough times the mentality is only getting stronger COYB Ship rock
  • Score: 5

2:07pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Solomon Grundy says...

I see Carvell's situation, however he signed a contract, which had not been breached, and he took the club's money for the pre season period. At the end of the day he is gone and that is that, but I don't think what he did was right or fair on those around him. If you make a commitment, then you should abide by it.
I see Carvell's situation, however he signed a contract, which had not been breached, and he took the club's money for the pre season period. At the end of the day he is gone and that is that, but I don't think what he did was right or fair on those around him. If you make a commitment, then you should abide by it. Solomon Grundy
  • Score: 2

2:16pm Thu 6 Mar 14

bradfordbronco says...

what a load of rubbish. During the miners strike those blokes went through real hardships not even getting paid and yet stuck it out.
In the Carvell case he WAS getting paid. There was no danger he wouldn't get paid. He's hardly secured his future by signing a 1 year deal at Hull.

I don't agree that everyone would have been so greedy and selfish as him. I'd have stuck it out as a matter of principal and self respect. The miners stuck it out despite NOT getting paid. We know what they have called Carvell as he was sat on the coach getting a police escort to work.

I've no respect for Carvell as a man or a person. He showed us his true colours. It was his was decision and he must now live with his conscience not ask us to be sorry for him
what a load of rubbish. During the miners strike those blokes went through real hardships not even getting paid and yet stuck it out. In the Carvell case he WAS getting paid. There was no danger he wouldn't get paid. He's hardly secured his future by signing a 1 year deal at Hull. I don't agree that everyone would have been so greedy and selfish as him. I'd have stuck it out as a matter of principal and self respect. The miners stuck it out despite NOT getting paid. We know what they have called Carvell as he was sat on the coach getting a police escort to work. I've no respect for Carvell as a man or a person. He showed us his true colours. It was his was decision and he must now live with his conscience not ask us to be sorry for him bradfordbronco
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Thu 6 Mar 14

bradfordbronco says...

Carvell talks crap. "The guys are quite willing to lay down their lives for one another" And yet Carvell couldn't turn down a ONE year deal at Hull to stay and fight with his mates. What a self centred loser.
Carvell talks crap. "The guys are quite willing to lay down their lives for one another" And yet Carvell couldn't turn down a ONE year deal at Hull to stay and fight with his mates. What a self centred loser. bradfordbronco
  • Score: 1

2:37pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Sad bull says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
Carvell talks crap. "The guys are quite willing to lay down their lives for one another" And yet Carvell couldn't turn down a ONE year deal at Hull to stay and fight with his mates. What a self centred loser.
Look on the bright side.

Hull wanted him to cover for injuries they have to other props and that is now backfiring as he is also injured. Only played half a game for them so far and not in the squad this week.
By the time he is fit, so will the other guys who are probably ahead of him in the pecking order. Good move Gareth !

Agree not much time for him either.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: Carvell talks crap. "The guys are quite willing to lay down their lives for one another" And yet Carvell couldn't turn down a ONE year deal at Hull to stay and fight with his mates. What a self centred loser.[/p][/quote]Look on the bright side. Hull wanted him to cover for injuries they have to other props and that is now backfiring as he is also injured. Only played half a game for them so far and not in the squad this week. By the time he is fit, so will the other guys who are probably ahead of him in the pecking order. Good move Gareth ! Agree not much time for him either. Sad bull
  • Score: 3

2:51pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Ship rock says...

And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant!
And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant! Ship rock
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Thu 6 Mar 14

axelf1963 says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
what a load of rubbish. During the miners strike those blokes went through real hardships not even getting paid and yet stuck it out.
In the Carvell case he WAS getting paid. There was no danger he wouldn't get paid. He's hardly secured his future by signing a 1 year deal at Hull.

I don't agree that everyone would have been so greedy and selfish as him. I'd have stuck it out as a matter of principal and self respect. The miners stuck it out despite NOT getting paid. We know what they have called Carvell as he was sat on the coach getting a police escort to work.

I've no respect for Carvell as a man or a person. He showed us his true colours. It was his was decision and he must now live with his conscience not ask us to be sorry for him
During the war ..................
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: what a load of rubbish. During the miners strike those blokes went through real hardships not even getting paid and yet stuck it out. In the Carvell case he WAS getting paid. There was no danger he wouldn't get paid. He's hardly secured his future by signing a 1 year deal at Hull. I don't agree that everyone would have been so greedy and selfish as him. I'd have stuck it out as a matter of principal and self respect. The miners stuck it out despite NOT getting paid. We know what they have called Carvell as he was sat on the coach getting a police escort to work. I've no respect for Carvell as a man or a person. He showed us his true colours. It was his was decision and he must now live with his conscience not ask us to be sorry for him[/p][/quote]During the war .................. axelf1963
  • Score: 0

3:17pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 1

3:55pm Thu 6 Mar 14

raisemeup says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises?
Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract?
The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing!
As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself.
Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch.
And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that
Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down .
So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out!
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.[/p][/quote]There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises? Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract? The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing! As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself. Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch. And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down . So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out! raisemeup
  • Score: 5

4:18pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Loyalbull1981 says...

Injury prone oldish plyer - not gunna lose sleep over it. I say fair does let him go. I however dont like how he disregards fans as 'people will say what he like but the boys and franny are ok with it'' We fans dont matter to him basically. If there were no fans he wouldnt even be playing Professional rubgy league the numpty. I wish him and his family well and think we have plenty of future stars who can cover that position anyway so dont stress people
Injury prone oldish plyer - not gunna lose sleep over it. I say fair does let him go. I however dont like how he disregards fans as 'people will say what he like but the boys and franny are ok with it'' We fans dont matter to him basically. If there were no fans he wouldnt even be playing Professional rubgy league the numpty. I wish him and his family well and think we have plenty of future stars who can cover that position anyway so dont stress people Loyalbull1981
  • Score: 5

4:52pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Ship rock wrote:
And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant!
Your right, I'm sure during contract negotiations Khan said, we can't afford to pay the team, we will be leaving in September and not resigning many of our players out of contract. We will also sell our up and coming youngsters too.
All this will definately have come out in the contract negotiations so we was given the full story all along. Known where he stood. After all didn't Khan himself say at the end of season bash he was in for the long haul before bailing due to "ill health" and the club left in over £1m of debt with HMRC issing winding up orders against it.
Yes he was kept right in the picture and never sold a lie.
[quote][p][bold]Ship rock[/bold] wrote: And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant![/p][/quote]Your right, I'm sure during contract negotiations Khan said, we can't afford to pay the team, we will be leaving in September and not resigning many of our players out of contract. We will also sell our up and coming youngsters too. All this will definately have come out in the contract negotiations so we was given the full story all along. Known where he stood. After all didn't Khan himself say at the end of season bash he was in for the long haul before bailing due to "ill health" and the club left in over £1m of debt with HMRC issing winding up orders against it. Yes he was kept right in the picture and never sold a lie. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -4

4:53pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

raisemeup wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises?
Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract?
The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing!
As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself.
Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch.
And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that
Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down .
So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out!
Your right, I'm sure during contract negotiations Khan said, we can't afford to pay the team, we will be leaving in September and not resigning many of our players out of contract. We will also sell our up and coming youngsters too.
All this will definately have come out in the contract negotiations so we was given the full story all along. Known where he stood. After all didn't Khan himself say at the end of season bash he was in for the long haul before bailing due to "ill health" and the club left in over £1m of debt with HMRC issing winding up orders against it.
Yes he was kept right in the picture and never sold a lie.
[quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.[/p][/quote]There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises? Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract? The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing! As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself. Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch. And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down . So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out![/p][/quote]Your right, I'm sure during contract negotiations Khan said, we can't afford to pay the team, we will be leaving in September and not resigning many of our players out of contract. We will also sell our up and coming youngsters too. All this will definately have come out in the contract negotiations so we was given the full story all along. Known where he stood. After all didn't Khan himself say at the end of season bash he was in for the long haul before bailing due to "ill health" and the club left in over £1m of debt with HMRC issing winding up orders against it. Yes he was kept right in the picture and never sold a lie. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 0

5:53pm Thu 6 Mar 14

BCFC LAD says says...

TVOR why aren`t you posting on the Bantams site? Is it because all our early season promise as turned sour!!!! At least the Bulls beat a bottom of the table team OK no great achievement but they were at home, we didn`t did we?
TVOR why aren`t you posting on the Bantams site? Is it because all our early season promise as turned sour!!!! At least the Bulls beat a bottom of the table team OK no great achievement but they were at home, we didn`t did we? BCFC LAD says
  • Score: 1

6:21pm Thu 6 Mar 14

bradfordbronco says...

Ship rock wrote:
And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant!
Its irrelevant what the outcome was. Those that broke the strike took the money and now have to live with the consequences of having let their mates down and their community.

In Carvells case. It was hardly a life changing decision, like it was for the miners. The very worst that could have happened to him was the Bulls went bust and he lost a TWO year job contract. He has switched that for that ONE year deal with Hull. If he'd taken a 25 year deal then I think he might have point As it is he's hardly secured his families future and to be honest its a load of rubbish for him to suggest his families future was at stake. I'd rather he just be honest. Hull offered him a bit more money and he had chance to wriggle out of his existing contract and he took it.
[quote][p][bold]Ship rock[/bold] wrote: And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant![/p][/quote]Its irrelevant what the outcome was. Those that broke the strike took the money and now have to live with the consequences of having let their mates down and their community. In Carvells case. It was hardly a life changing decision, like it was for the miners. The very worst that could have happened to him was the Bulls went bust and he lost a TWO year job contract. He has switched that for that ONE year deal with Hull. If he'd taken a 25 year deal then I think he might have point As it is he's hardly secured his families future and to be honest its a load of rubbish for him to suggest his families future was at stake. I'd rather he just be honest. Hull offered him a bit more money and he had chance to wriggle out of his existing contract and he took it. bradfordbronco
  • Score: 1

6:45pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
Ship rock wrote:
And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant!
Its irrelevant what the outcome was. Those that broke the strike took the money and now have to live with the consequences of having let their mates down and their community.

In Carvells case. It was hardly a life changing decision, like it was for the miners. The very worst that could have happened to him was the Bulls went bust and he lost a TWO year job contract. He has switched that for that ONE year deal with Hull. If he'd taken a 25 year deal then I think he might have point As it is he's hardly secured his families future and to be honest its a load of rubbish for him to suggest his families future was at stake. I'd rather he just be honest. Hull offered him a bit more money and he had chance to wriggle out of his existing contract and he took it.
If the Bulls were honest to him in the first place he would never have signed.
Khan and Co should be investigated for signing a player like this on big wages whilst technically insolvent.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ship rock[/bold] wrote: And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant![/p][/quote]Its irrelevant what the outcome was. Those that broke the strike took the money and now have to live with the consequences of having let their mates down and their community. In Carvells case. It was hardly a life changing decision, like it was for the miners. The very worst that could have happened to him was the Bulls went bust and he lost a TWO year job contract. He has switched that for that ONE year deal with Hull. If he'd taken a 25 year deal then I think he might have point As it is he's hardly secured his families future and to be honest its a load of rubbish for him to suggest his families future was at stake. I'd rather he just be honest. Hull offered him a bit more money and he had chance to wriggle out of his existing contract and he took it.[/p][/quote]If the Bulls were honest to him in the first place he would never have signed. Khan and Co should be investigated for signing a player like this on big wages whilst technically insolvent. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -2

7:00pm Thu 6 Mar 14

AUGUST1964 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
bradfordbronco wrote:
Ship rock wrote: And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant!
Its irrelevant what the outcome was. Those that broke the strike took the money and now have to live with the consequences of having let their mates down and their community. In Carvells case. It was hardly a life changing decision, like it was for the miners. The very worst that could have happened to him was the Bulls went bust and he lost a TWO year job contract. He has switched that for that ONE year deal with Hull. If he'd taken a 25 year deal then I think he might have point As it is he's hardly secured his families future and to be honest its a load of rubbish for him to suggest his families future was at stake. I'd rather he just be honest. Hull offered him a bit more money and he had chance to wriggle out of his existing contract and he took it.
If the Bulls were honest to him in the first place he would never have signed. Khan and Co should be investigated for signing a player like this on big wages whilst technically insolvent.
He's not here now why the story,he's gone ,end of.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ship rock[/bold] wrote: And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant![/p][/quote]Its irrelevant what the outcome was. Those that broke the strike took the money and now have to live with the consequences of having let their mates down and their community. In Carvells case. It was hardly a life changing decision, like it was for the miners. The very worst that could have happened to him was the Bulls went bust and he lost a TWO year job contract. He has switched that for that ONE year deal with Hull. If he'd taken a 25 year deal then I think he might have point As it is he's hardly secured his families future and to be honest its a load of rubbish for him to suggest his families future was at stake. I'd rather he just be honest. Hull offered him a bit more money and he had chance to wriggle out of his existing contract and he took it.[/p][/quote]If the Bulls were honest to him in the first place he would never have signed. Khan and Co should be investigated for signing a player like this on big wages whilst technically insolvent.[/p][/quote]He's not here now why the story,he's gone ,end of. AUGUST1964
  • Score: 2

7:08pm Thu 6 Mar 14

spanglishbull.uk says...

T.V.O.R.
Why don,t you answer B.C.F.C s question.Why are you not posting on the Bantams site.
T.V.O.R. Why don,t you answer B.C.F.C s question.Why are you not posting on the Bantams site. spanglishbull.uk
  • Score: 2

7:10pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

spanglishbull.uk wrote:
T.V.O.R.
Why don,t you answer B.C.F.C s question.Why are you not posting on the Bantams site.
I do post on the BCFC site.
[quote][p][bold]spanglishbull.uk[/bold] wrote: T.V.O.R. Why don,t you answer B.C.F.C s question.Why are you not posting on the Bantams site.[/p][/quote]I do post on the BCFC site. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 1

8:02pm Thu 6 Mar 14

axelf1963 says...

raisemeup wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises?
Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract?
The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing!
As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself.
Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch.
And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that
Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down .
So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out!
Brian your wife is calling get the housework done and stay off the PC she is fast running out of kleenex
[quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.[/p][/quote]There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises? Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract? The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing! As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself. Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch. And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down . So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out![/p][/quote]Brian your wife is calling get the housework done and stay off the PC she is fast running out of kleenex axelf1963
  • Score: -1

9:21pm Thu 6 Mar 14

melon head says...

Carvel never played for us so what's the point .better of with these young kids who want to rip in and make a name. Would be gr8 to keep mullally has made other props push harder As has bridge . Let's go to hull and back ..:with a win and wipe the slate clean and shove it up red halls back door !!!!!!!
Carvel never played for us so what's the point .better of with these young kids who want to rip in and make a name. Would be gr8 to keep mullally has made other props push harder As has bridge . Let's go to hull and back ..:with a win and wipe the slate clean and shove it up red halls back door !!!!!!! melon head
  • Score: 4

10:03pm Thu 6 Mar 14

bradfordbronco says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
spanglishbull.uk wrote:
T.V.O.R.
Why don,t you answer B.C.F.C s question.Why are you not posting on the Bantams site.
I do post on the BCFC site.
Bet they're all thrilled about that!!
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]spanglishbull.uk[/bold] wrote: T.V.O.R. Why don,t you answer B.C.F.C s question.Why are you not posting on the Bantams site.[/p][/quote]I do post on the BCFC site.[/p][/quote]Bet they're all thrilled about that!! bradfordbronco
  • Score: 2

11:35pm Thu 6 Mar 14

bradfordbronco says...

Ship rock wrote:
And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant!
Also quite relevant. had it not been for the "scabs" the miners might have won and saved many pits from closure.Hope we're not looking back and thinking had not been for the lies of Carvell we might have stayed up and saved the club.

To be honest he's showed his true colours, and as it turns out we couldn't have relied on him anyway. Good riddance to him. I hope his family enjoys the secure future his ONE year deal has provided. looking at the long term future he could have stood up as a real man of honour and gained the respect of his fellow professionals which would have come in handy should he choose to move into coaching. Something which he has jeopardised because he didn't have the guts to stay and fight. He chose to run. What a big man!

Having said that he probably has all the slimy credentials to set up as a players agent once he retires
[quote][p][bold]Ship rock[/bold] wrote: And what happened to the miners strike they shut the mines! And that was 20-30 years ago. These are troubled times at present, that the players hVe no control over, a strike is by all definition voluntary and weren't forced to strike so I don't see how that is relevant![/p][/quote]Also quite relevant. had it not been for the "scabs" the miners might have won and saved many pits from closure.Hope we're not looking back and thinking had not been for the lies of Carvell we might have stayed up and saved the club. To be honest he's showed his true colours, and as it turns out we couldn't have relied on him anyway. Good riddance to him. I hope his family enjoys the secure future his ONE year deal has provided. looking at the long term future he could have stood up as a real man of honour and gained the respect of his fellow professionals which would have come in handy should he choose to move into coaching. Something which he has jeopardised because he didn't have the guts to stay and fight. He chose to run. What a big man! Having said that he probably has all the slimy credentials to set up as a players agent once he retires bradfordbronco
  • Score: 0

7:03am Fri 7 Mar 14

raisemeup says...

One or two disturbing facts are:
Hull obviously arranged this with GC in advance, of him jumping ship!
They made sure he used TUPE as the way he left the Bulls, thus saving them paying a compensation to the Bulls for his previous contracted payments and employment whilst technically still under the agreement with the Bulls?
The good old RFL registered him as a Hull player within a week of him leaving, technically he was still registered to the Bulls, as no paper work could have been raised ref. the transfer from OK Bulls to the newco.

Honourable business dealings. judge for yourself?
One or two disturbing facts are: Hull obviously arranged this with GC in advance, of him jumping ship! They made sure he used TUPE as the way he left the Bulls, thus saving them paying a compensation to the Bulls for his previous contracted payments and employment whilst technically still under the agreement with the Bulls? The good old RFL registered him as a Hull player within a week of him leaving, technically he was still registered to the Bulls, as no paper work could have been raised ref. the transfer from OK Bulls to the newco. Honourable business dealings. judge for yourself? raisemeup
  • Score: 1

8:10am Fri 7 Mar 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

raisemeup wrote:
One or two disturbing facts are:
Hull obviously arranged this with GC in advance, of him jumping ship!
They made sure he used TUPE as the way he left the Bulls, thus saving them paying a compensation to the Bulls for his previous contracted payments and employment whilst technically still under the agreement with the Bulls?
The good old RFL registered him as a Hull player within a week of him leaving, technically he was still registered to the Bulls, as no paper work could have been raised ref. the transfer from OK Bulls to the newco.

Honourable business dealings. judge for yourself?
Putting the club into admin to transfer ownership of the club. Is that an honourable business dealing?
[quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: One or two disturbing facts are: Hull obviously arranged this with GC in advance, of him jumping ship! They made sure he used TUPE as the way he left the Bulls, thus saving them paying a compensation to the Bulls for his previous contracted payments and employment whilst technically still under the agreement with the Bulls? The good old RFL registered him as a Hull player within a week of him leaving, technically he was still registered to the Bulls, as no paper work could have been raised ref. the transfer from OK Bulls to the newco. Honourable business dealings. judge for yourself?[/p][/quote]Putting the club into admin to transfer ownership of the club. Is that an honourable business dealing? Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 0

8:56am Fri 7 Mar 14

raisemeup says...

axelf1963 wrote:
raisemeup wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises?
Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract?
The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing!
As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself.
Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch.
And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that
Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down .
So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out!
Brian your wife is calling get the housework done and stay off the PC she is fast running out of kleenex
You are so funny with your one liners!
You are full of WIT ? (sounds like)
[quote][p][bold]axelf1963[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.[/p][/quote]There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises? Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract? The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing! As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself. Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch. And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down . So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out![/p][/quote]Brian your wife is calling get the housework done and stay off the PC she is fast running out of kleenex[/p][/quote]You are so funny with your one liners! You are full of WIT ? (sounds like) raisemeup
  • Score: 0

9:03am Fri 7 Mar 14

raisemeup says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
raisemeup wrote:
One or two disturbing facts are:
Hull obviously arranged this with GC in advance, of him jumping ship!
They made sure he used TUPE as the way he left the Bulls, thus saving them paying a compensation to the Bulls for his previous contracted payments and employment whilst technically still under the agreement with the Bulls?
The good old RFL registered him as a Hull player within a week of him leaving, technically he was still registered to the Bulls, as no paper work could have been raised ref. the transfer from OK Bulls to the newco.

Honourable business dealings. judge for yourself?
Putting the club into admin to transfer ownership of the club. Is that an honourable business dealing?
You never let us down do you TVOR, two wrongs don't ever make a right.
As you know everything about how people are thinking. even before they think it !
Can you tell me who put OK Bulls into admin.?
Why did they do it?

If you get this right, someone will come round to your house and shove a bat up your nightie !
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: One or two disturbing facts are: Hull obviously arranged this with GC in advance, of him jumping ship! They made sure he used TUPE as the way he left the Bulls, thus saving them paying a compensation to the Bulls for his previous contracted payments and employment whilst technically still under the agreement with the Bulls? The good old RFL registered him as a Hull player within a week of him leaving, technically he was still registered to the Bulls, as no paper work could have been raised ref. the transfer from OK Bulls to the newco. Honourable business dealings. judge for yourself?[/p][/quote]Putting the club into admin to transfer ownership of the club. Is that an honourable business dealing?[/p][/quote]You never let us down do you TVOR, two wrongs don't ever make a right. As you know everything about how people are thinking. even before they think it ! Can you tell me who put OK Bulls into admin.? Why did they do it? If you get this right, someone will come round to your house and shove a bat up your nightie ! raisemeup
  • Score: -1

10:09am Fri 7 Mar 14

spanglishbull.uk says...

To everbody judging Carvell.Let us not forget he has done exactly this before.He was supposed to have signed for Hull from Leeds,instead a better offer came in from Warrington and off he went.If I remember correctly the R.F.L. had to make a decision on this transfer.I would imagine most clubs know his past record hence a 1 year contract.
To everbody judging Carvell.Let us not forget he has done exactly this before.He was supposed to have signed for Hull from Leeds,instead a better offer came in from Warrington and off he went.If I remember correctly the R.F.L. had to make a decision on this transfer.I would imagine most clubs know his past record hence a 1 year contract. spanglishbull.uk
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Fri 7 Mar 14

StevieLad says...

spanglishbull.uk wrote:
To everbody judging Carvell.Let us not forget he has done exactly this before.He was supposed to have signed for Hull from Leeds,instead a better offer came in from Warrington and off he went.If I remember correctly the R.F.L. had to make a decision on this transfer.I would imagine most clubs know his past record hence a 1 year contract.
To be fair he in turn will have known the Bulls have done exactly this before. He probably had his agent on standby from day 1
[quote][p][bold]spanglishbull.uk[/bold] wrote: To everbody judging Carvell.Let us not forget he has done exactly this before.He was supposed to have signed for Hull from Leeds,instead a better offer came in from Warrington and off he went.If I remember correctly the R.F.L. had to make a decision on this transfer.I would imagine most clubs know his past record hence a 1 year contract.[/p][/quote]To be fair he in turn will have known the Bulls have done exactly this before. He probably had his agent on standby from day 1 StevieLad
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Fri 7 Mar 14

BierleyBoy says...

raisemeup wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises?
Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract?
The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing!
As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself.
Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch.
And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that
Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down .
So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out!
He signed a contract with OK Bulls Ltd. Omar Khan signed him in June 2013, less than three months later Khan was gone.

The company was sold, then it wasn't, then it was replaced by another company. Now it's being liquidated and the club is being run by the administrator.

I see no problem with him deciding to exercise his right not to have his contract transferred to another company, which now doesn't own the club.

The RFL has bent over backwards to keep the Bulls going. Who do you think has been funding the club since Khan walked away?

If the RFL hadn't taken on the lease at Odsal, the Bulls would have gone under far sooner than they did in 2012.

Carvell seems to be a lightning rod for the pent up anger of some Bulls fans. the blame lies with Caisley & his mob, and Khan & Sutcliffe.
[quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.[/p][/quote]There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises? Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract? The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing! As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself. Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch. And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down . So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out![/p][/quote]He signed a contract with OK Bulls Ltd. Omar Khan signed him in June 2013, less than three months later Khan was gone. The company was sold, then it wasn't, then it was replaced by another company. Now it's being liquidated and the club is being run by the administrator. I see no problem with him deciding to exercise his right not to have his contract transferred to another company, which now doesn't own the club. The RFL has bent over backwards to keep the Bulls going. Who do you think has been funding the club since Khan walked away? If the RFL hadn't taken on the lease at Odsal, the Bulls would have gone under far sooner than they did in 2012. Carvell seems to be a lightning rod for the pent up anger of some Bulls fans. the blame lies with Caisley & his mob, and Khan & Sutcliffe. BierleyBoy
  • Score: 3

12:28am Tue 11 Mar 14

Arhmen Noleg says...

BierleyBoy wrote:
raisemeup wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble.
since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club.
Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.
There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises?
Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract?
The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing!
As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself.
Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch.
And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that
Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down .
So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out!
He signed a contract with OK Bulls Ltd. Omar Khan signed him in June 2013, less than three months later Khan was gone.

The company was sold, then it wasn't, then it was replaced by another company. Now it's being liquidated and the club is being run by the administrator.

I see no problem with him deciding to exercise his right not to have his contract transferred to another company, which now doesn't own the club.

The RFL has bent over backwards to keep the Bulls going. Who do you think has been funding the club since Khan walked away?

If the RFL hadn't taken on the lease at Odsal, the Bulls would have gone under far sooner than they did in 2012.

Carvell seems to be a lightning rod for the pent up anger of some Bulls fans. the blame lies with Caisley & his mob, and Khan & Sutcliffe.
Spot On Summary.
The Bulls future is so insecure and so many lies have been told to fans prospective players and all that nobody could blame him.
[quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Carvell was signed with false promises. He was signed before the poo hit the fan. He was told the place was not in trouble. since he joined players weren't paid on time on multiple occasions, the entire board walked out twice, and administrators are running the club. Tell me you wouldn't look elsewhere under the same scenario and I'll call you a liar.[/p][/quote]There you go again, you say Carvell was signed with false promises? Presumably you were sat at the table when he signed the contract? The fact he signed a Contract was indicative that he and his agent knew what he/they were doing! As a non Bulls fan, you should keep your acidity to yourself. Our dismay is that he turned his back on the club-the players and the supporters, and like another turncoat before him, left us all in the lurch. And no one comes out of this situation with any honour do they? Certainly we as a club will get over it, but conversely we are not in the business of saying here's my " a... kick it" we have had enough of the RFL and some SL clubs attempting to do that Carvell should not attempt to gather sympathy from the very people he has let down . So TVOR , may I suggest your opinion like his(Carvell's) counts for very little on this forum, so Butt out![/p][/quote]He signed a contract with OK Bulls Ltd. Omar Khan signed him in June 2013, less than three months later Khan was gone. The company was sold, then it wasn't, then it was replaced by another company. Now it's being liquidated and the club is being run by the administrator. I see no problem with him deciding to exercise his right not to have his contract transferred to another company, which now doesn't own the club. The RFL has bent over backwards to keep the Bulls going. Who do you think has been funding the club since Khan walked away? If the RFL hadn't taken on the lease at Odsal, the Bulls would have gone under far sooner than they did in 2012. Carvell seems to be a lightning rod for the pent up anger of some Bulls fans. the blame lies with Caisley & his mob, and Khan & Sutcliffe.[/p][/quote]Spot On Summary. The Bulls future is so insecure and so many lies have been told to fans prospective players and all that nobody could blame him. Arhmen Noleg
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree