Bradford City awaiting Bermudian bill for Nahki Wells

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Nahki Wells in Dandy Town colours as a youngster Nahki Wells in Dandy Town colours as a youngster

City insist there is no issue with the £50,000 they owe the Bermudian club that developed Nahki Wells.

Western Stars Sports Club are still waiting for an 83,000 dollar development pay-out as part of the striker’s move to Huddersfield in January.

Wells played for Dandy Town, who fall under the auspices of Western Stars, before heading for England through the RIASA programme.

Valley Parade director of operations David Baldwin confirmed that City have tried to contact Bermuda – but cannot forward the money until they receive a bill.

Baldwin said: “They haven’t sent us an invoice yet. How can we generate the payment when we haven’t got a bill?

“Any international payments have to go through the Football Association’s clearing house first.

“Our accounts department have made contact with the FA and attempted to get in touch with Dandy Town. But until we get sent the invoice from Bermuda, we cannot send any money.”

Wells, who set up four of Huddersfield’s five goals against Barnsley on Saturday, said: “If anyone deserves it, Dandy Town do.

“I spent 20 years at that club, so I have to believe they deserve some sort of credit and financial stability.

“Hopefully it is used well and helps a lot of people back home. It is a large amount of money and, if used wisely, it can help the club massively.”

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:47am Tue 4 Mar 14

spearmint wino says...

Judas, who's interested in what he has to say.
Judas, who's interested in what he has to say. spearmint wino
  • Score: 0

7:02am Tue 4 Mar 14

silverbantam says...

Why doesn't Judas give them some of his own money or Huddersfield who obviously tapped him up and bought him on the cheap !
Why doesn't Judas give them some of his own money or Huddersfield who obviously tapped him up and bought him on the cheap ! silverbantam
  • Score: 7

7:13am Tue 4 Mar 14

Rambo says...

He spent 20 years there?
He spent 20 years there? Rambo
  • Score: 15

8:14am Tue 4 Mar 14

Farsley Bantam says...

Rambo wrote:
He spent 20 years there?
He scored 12 goals in his first season for the under 6 weeks first team.
[quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: He spent 20 years there?[/p][/quote]He scored 12 goals in his first season for the under 6 weeks first team. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 12

9:55am Tue 4 Mar 14

Old Dave says...

We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others?

Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story.

Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up!
We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others? Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story. Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up! Old Dave
  • Score: 17

10:18am Tue 4 Mar 14

Peter300 says...

spearmint wino wrote:
Judas, who's interested in what he has to say.
I would suggest people with intelligence and an interest in football. Also supporters who appreciated Nahki's talent and what he did for City. Could you be considered for any of these categories?
[quote][p][bold]spearmint wino[/bold] wrote: Judas, who's interested in what he has to say.[/p][/quote]I would suggest people with intelligence and an interest in football. Also supporters who appreciated Nahki's talent and what he did for City. Could you be considered for any of these categories? Peter300
  • Score: 1

10:20am Tue 4 Mar 14

Peter300 says...

silverbantam wrote:
Why doesn't Judas give them some of his own money or Huddersfield who obviously tapped him up and bought him on the cheap !
He's not a 'Judas' as you say. I wish Nahki the best of luck with his future career. I appreciate what he did for City.
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Why doesn't Judas give them some of his own money or Huddersfield who obviously tapped him up and bought him on the cheap ![/p][/quote]He's not a 'Judas' as you say. I wish Nahki the best of luck with his future career. I appreciate what he did for City. Peter300
  • Score: 2

10:24am Tue 4 Mar 14

Peter300 says...

Old Dave wrote:
We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others?

Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story.

Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up!
Yes, his former club should receive their money, if they are entitled to it.
[quote][p][bold]Old Dave[/bold] wrote: We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others? Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story. Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up![/p][/quote]Yes, his former club should receive their money, if they are entitled to it. Peter300
  • Score: 15

10:44am Tue 4 Mar 14

cookie_brighton says...

silverbantam wrote:
Why doesn't Judas give them some of his own money or Huddersfield who obviously tapped him up and bought him on the cheap !
£1.3 million was cheap for Nahki Wells.......
CTID
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Why doesn't Judas give them some of his own money or Huddersfield who obviously tapped him up and bought him on the cheap ![/p][/quote]£1.3 million was cheap for Nahki Wells....... CTID cookie_brighton
  • Score: 2

11:03am Tue 4 Mar 14

lawsonio123 says...

yes the club deserve the money As regards Wells some underhand stuff went on with him and City have nothing to thank him for he was well pad for his services and of course at the end of the day took his seven pieces of silver
yes the club deserve the money As regards Wells some underhand stuff went on with him and City have nothing to thank him for he was well pad for his services and of course at the end of the day took his seven pieces of silver lawsonio123
  • Score: 1

12:42pm Tue 4 Mar 14

tyker7745 says...

why not pay it without a bill:send them a proforma invoice with the money:
why not pay it without a bill:send them a proforma invoice with the money: tyker7745
  • Score: -7

1:09pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Scuba Dee says...

Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....
Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent ..... Scuba Dee
  • Score: 7

1:32pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Waynus1971 says...

tyker7745 wrote:
why not pay it without a bill:send them a proforma invoice with the money:
Read the story again Tyker. Baldwin clearly explains that a full invoice is required for International payments!
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: why not pay it without a bill:send them a proforma invoice with the money:[/p][/quote]Read the story again Tyker. Baldwin clearly explains that a full invoice is required for International payments! Waynus1971
  • Score: 8

1:35pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Waynus1971 says...

Peter300 wrote:
Old Dave wrote:
We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others?

Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story.

Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up!
Yes, his former club should receive their money, if they are entitled to it.
Of course they should get compensation, but I just don't understand why it's from us. Wells came over to the UK on the RIASA programme and signed for Carlisle. Surely they owe the money?

When City signed Wells, he was a free agent wasn't he; after Carlisle had opted against giving him a new contract. Can anyone explain?
[quote][p][bold]Peter300[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Dave[/bold] wrote: We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others? Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story. Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up![/p][/quote]Yes, his former club should receive their money, if they are entitled to it.[/p][/quote]Of course they should get compensation, but I just don't understand why it's from us. Wells came over to the UK on the RIASA programme and signed for Carlisle. Surely they owe the money? When City signed Wells, he was a free agent wasn't he; after Carlisle had opted against giving him a new contract. Can anyone explain? Waynus1971
  • Score: 5

3:18pm Tue 4 Mar 14

lawsonio123 says...

Scuba Dee wrote:
Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....
Yes but if it was not for CITY where the devil would Wells be we owe him nothing he owes CITY
[quote][p][bold]Scuba Dee[/bold] wrote: Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....[/p][/quote]Yes but if it was not for CITY where the devil would Wells be we owe him nothing he owes CITY lawsonio123
  • Score: 0

3:33pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
Peter300 wrote:
Old Dave wrote:
We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others?

Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story.

Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up!
Yes, his former club should receive their money, if they are entitled to it.
Of course they should get compensation, but I just don't understand why it's from us. Wells came over to the UK on the RIASA programme and signed for Carlisle. Surely they owe the money?

When City signed Wells, he was a free agent wasn't he; after Carlisle had opted against giving him a new contract. Can anyone explain?
My thoughts exactly. We weren't his first club, he was offered to Abbott at Carlisle by Ellis from RIASA, therefore if any fee at all is due it should be from them to my mind.

As a goodwill gesture and to forge links it may be worth City going halves with Carlise on the fee rather than trying to duck out of it, not that it sounds like we are trying to.
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Peter300[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Dave[/bold] wrote: We would ( and have) moaned like hell to get these payments for the likes of Wisdom and Cleverly, so I am glad Dave Baldwin is saying that the club is going to pay. How can we expect money for our kids and deprive others? Its 50K that would have been budgeted for. This is a bit of a slow news day type of story. Hopefully we can build a relationship with the club in Bermuda and bring over more talent. 50K for wells is peanuts, wherever he has ended up![/p][/quote]Yes, his former club should receive their money, if they are entitled to it.[/p][/quote]Of course they should get compensation, but I just don't understand why it's from us. Wells came over to the UK on the RIASA programme and signed for Carlisle. Surely they owe the money? When City signed Wells, he was a free agent wasn't he; after Carlisle had opted against giving him a new contract. Can anyone explain?[/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly. We weren't his first club, he was offered to Abbott at Carlisle by Ellis from RIASA, therefore if any fee at all is due it should be from them to my mind. As a goodwill gesture and to forge links it may be worth City going halves with Carlise on the fee rather than trying to duck out of it, not that it sounds like we are trying to. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 1

4:32pm Tue 4 Mar 14

BigFigure says...

A 50K Development Fee for Nahki puts the claim from Falkirk for Mark Stewart into it's proper context....
A 50K Development Fee for Nahki puts the claim from Falkirk for Mark Stewart into it's proper context.... BigFigure
  • Score: 12

5:06pm Tue 4 Mar 14

oddshapedballs says...

Or can they afford to pay it??
Or can they afford to pay it?? oddshapedballs
  • Score: 0

5:48pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Bantambhoy says...

Carlisle did not sell Wells so how can they owe money on him? Sell on clauses are for when you sell on and make a profit.
Carlisle did not sell Wells so how can they owe money on him? Sell on clauses are for when you sell on and make a profit. Bantambhoy
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
Carlisle did not sell Wells so how can they owe money on him? Sell on clauses are for when you sell on and make a profit.
We picked him up when he was clubless, therefore there was no one to agree a sell on fee with.
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: Carlisle did not sell Wells so how can they owe money on him? Sell on clauses are for when you sell on and make a profit.[/p][/quote]We picked him up when he was clubless, therefore there was no one to agree a sell on fee with. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 2

11:18pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Scuba Dee says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Scuba Dee wrote:
Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....
Yes but if it was not for CITY where the devil would Wells be we owe him nothing he owes CITY
owes City what exactly?
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scuba Dee[/bold] wrote: Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....[/p][/quote]Yes but if it was not for CITY where the devil would Wells be we owe him nothing he owes CITY[/p][/quote]owes City what exactly? Scuba Dee
  • Score: 1

2:23am Wed 5 Mar 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

A deal is a deal and that has to be paid.
He did a job for us then when he was going he did a job on us.
That's football, there are plenty of con merchants and l think everyone knows about the dirty tricks the TBs pulled.
A deal is a deal and that has to be paid. He did a job for us then when he was going he did a job on us. That's football, there are plenty of con merchants and l think everyone knows about the dirty tricks the TBs pulled. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 3

3:43pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
A deal is a deal and that has to be paid.
He did a job for us then when he was going he did a job on us.
That's football, there are plenty of con merchants and l think everyone knows about the dirty tricks the TBs pulled.
Agree, deals should be honoured.

I just don't understand that if Wells was a Dandy Town player when he came over with RIASA and his first club was Carlisle, he was then a Carlisle player and released at the end of that season.

Nowhere has it been said he re-signed for Dandy Town therefore we picked up a free agent with no development fees required and no sell on clauses etc etc.

Unless anyone knows different???
[quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: A deal is a deal and that has to be paid. He did a job for us then when he was going he did a job on us. That's football, there are plenty of con merchants and l think everyone knows about the dirty tricks the TBs pulled.[/p][/quote]Agree, deals should be honoured. I just don't understand that if Wells was a Dandy Town player when he came over with RIASA and his first club was Carlisle, he was then a Carlisle player and released at the end of that season. Nowhere has it been said he re-signed for Dandy Town therefore we picked up a free agent with no development fees required and no sell on clauses etc etc. Unless anyone knows different??? Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 1

2:46am Thu 6 Mar 14

billybobbull says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
A deal is a deal and that has to be paid.
He did a job for us then when he was going he did a job on us.
That's football, there are plenty of con merchants and l think everyone knows about the dirty tricks the TBs pulled.
Agree, deals should be honoured.

I just don't understand that if Wells was a Dandy Town player when he came over with RIASA and his first club was Carlisle, he was then a Carlisle player and released at the end of that season.

Nowhere has it been said he re-signed for Dandy Town therefore we picked up a free agent with no development fees required and no sell on clauses etc etc.

Unless anyone knows different???
They are owed it because it was part of his contact. It's not difficult really.

http://www.royalgaze
tte.com/article/2014
0227/SPORT01/1402297
38
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: A deal is a deal and that has to be paid. He did a job for us then when he was going he did a job on us. That's football, there are plenty of con merchants and l think everyone knows about the dirty tricks the TBs pulled.[/p][/quote]Agree, deals should be honoured. I just don't understand that if Wells was a Dandy Town player when he came over with RIASA and his first club was Carlisle, he was then a Carlisle player and released at the end of that season. Nowhere has it been said he re-signed for Dandy Town therefore we picked up a free agent with no development fees required and no sell on clauses etc etc. Unless anyone knows different???[/p][/quote]They are owed it because it was part of his contact. It's not difficult really. http://www.royalgaze tte.com/article/2014 0227/SPORT01/1402297 38 billybobbull
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Thu 6 Mar 14

my only vision says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Scuba Dee wrote:
Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....
Yes but if it was not for CITY where the devil would Wells be we owe him nothing he owes CITY
Shut the Fkx up a..hole
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scuba Dee[/bold] wrote: Whilst wearing a City shirt Wells scared the hell out of Premiership teams and the rest. His contribution took us to Wembley twice. Got us promoted. He re signed allowing us to make money when he eventually moved on. Remember where we were. If it wasn't for him we might still have been there, struggling to stay in the football league and almost non existent .....[/p][/quote]Yes but if it was not for CITY where the devil would Wells be we owe him nothing he owes CITY[/p][/quote]Shut the Fkx up a..hole my only vision
  • Score: 0

4:09pm Thu 6 Mar 14

my only vision says...

If it wasn't for Mr Nahki, Bradford WILLNOT, AND I REPEAT , WILL DEFINATELYNOT BE IN LEAGUE ONE !!!!!!! YOU CAN BET YOUR ARSSSEEE ON THAT.... When he cameBradford's whle game plan came. Why do you think the HOOT BALL DOWNFIELD CAME, Because he is so fast and skillful. Why do you notic that doesn't work anymore. Because you all are too **** slw and no one can read whre the ball will bounce ANYMORE... He was a lethal weapon and meda opposing defenders play deeper and scared.. Who do you have now that is that threat...?????????? HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO ???? WHO? N **** BODY, The man is hated because you can't win another game, the man is hated because you wanted him to play fr peanuts, the man is hated because he has a great amount of ability... He is simply a baller. If you had brains you might want to link up directly with Dandy Town and see what ele is cooking because apparently they are leading the tables in the division and they have a very organized youth programme from 4 yr old players up to seniors. They have a bunch of talent in BDA.... Don't brn your bridges, there are more Nahki Wells's in BDA, A **** load.... .. Now go figure..............
......... And he is no Judas, What about all the players that get cut by Bradford and sent to the pastures, he beat you in your own game. Sensible boy... He had a couple injuries, why hang around and get a career ending injury playing for peanuts, Now if he is injured at least its security involved, I watch him play on Saturday, A **** genius. And I have seen die hard Bradford City supporters watch him at Huddersfield this term, whilst City have been at home!!!!! What does that tell you. The guy is simply magic. He s a genius..... Playmaker Wells..You are loved man..
Nahki still hangs out with Bradford players and still plays gol with the lads. A Judas wont do that... Thanks Nahki for the entertainment... My 5 kids love you lad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it wasn't for Mr Nahki, Bradford WILLNOT, AND I REPEAT , WILL DEFINATELYNOT BE IN LEAGUE ONE !!!!!!! YOU CAN BET YOUR ARSSSEEE ON THAT.... When he cameBradford's whle game plan came. Why do you think the HOOT BALL DOWNFIELD CAME, Because he is so fast and skillful. Why do you notic that doesn't work anymore. Because you all are too **** slw and no one can read whre the ball will bounce ANYMORE... He was a lethal weapon and meda opposing defenders play deeper and scared.. Who do you have now that is that threat...?????????? HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO ???? WHO? N **** BODY, The man is hated because you can't win another game, the man is hated because you wanted him to play fr peanuts, the man is hated because he has a great amount of ability... He is simply a baller. If you had brains you might want to link up directly with Dandy Town and see what ele is cooking because apparently they are leading the tables in the division and they have a very organized youth programme from 4 yr old players up to seniors. They have a bunch of talent in BDA.... Don't brn your bridges, there are more Nahki Wells's in BDA, A **** load.... .. Now go figure.............. ......... And he is no Judas, What about all the players that get cut by Bradford and sent to the pastures, he beat you in your own game. Sensible boy... He had a couple injuries, why hang around and get a career ending injury playing for peanuts, Now if he is injured at least its security involved, I watch him play on Saturday, A **** genius. And I have seen die hard Bradford City supporters watch him at Huddersfield this term, whilst City have been at home!!!!! What does that tell you. The guy is simply magic. He s a genius..... Playmaker Wells..You are loved man.. Nahki still hangs out with Bradford players and still plays gol with the lads. A Judas wont do that... Thanks Nahki for the entertainment... My 5 kids love you lad !!!!!!!!!!!!!! my only vision
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree