'Magnificent' Bradford Park Avenue give leaders AFC Telford a run for their money

IN YOU GO: Danny Glover rounds the Telford keeper before slotting coolly home to make it 2-1 Picture: John Rhodes

More match action from Avenue's trip to AFC Telford Picture: John Rhodes

More match action from Avenue's trip to AFC Telford Picture: John Rhodes

More match action from Avenue's trip to AFC Telford Picture: John Rhodes

First published in Sport by

AFC Telford 2 Bradford Park Avenue 1

Bradford Park Avenue suffered defeat by the narrowest of margins at leaders AFC Telford but they will have little time to lick their wounds as they are back in action tonight.

The loss saw Avenue slip two places to 14th in the Conference North. They are just two places above Vaux-hall Motors, on goal difference only, ahead of tonight’s rearranged mid-table clash.

Saturday began well for Avenue, with Martin Drury named in the starting line-up for the first time in months following a serious knee injury.

The left back lacked pace but he was soon showing his team-mates what they had missed when he cleared an early header off the line.

In the goalless first half, Telford, bidding to extend their unbeaten run to seven games, looked dangerous.

However, Avenue had chances, notably when a Chib Chilaka shot struck home keeper Ryan Jones on the chest and, later, when Nicky Boshell fired wide when well placed.

After the break it was Bradford centre back Ryan Qualiter’s turn to head off the line as the Bucks pressed.

Telford finally broke the deadlock when Andy Owens looped a header into the top corner.

Avenue responded and Chilaka, Walker and Jordan Deacey all had chances to level.

However, it was Telford who extended their lead after a rush of blood from keeper John Lamb. He raced out in an attempt to reach a through ball but brought Mike Phenix down inside the area and was then beaten by Adam Farrell’s spot-kick.

The deficit was cut eight minutes from time following a slip by Bucks defender Dan Preston. Avenue substitute Danny Glover pounced and rounded Young before slotting into the net.

Avenue boss John Deacey was pleased with the effort and attitude of his players. He said: “The performance was magnificent. We went to the team at the top of the league and created more chances and, I think, played the better football.

"We restricted them to set-pieces and long throw-ins. We certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves.”

Vauxhall go into tonight’s game on the back of a 2-0 defeat at second-placed North Ferriby. They ended with ten men after Louis Barnes was sent off 13 minutes from time.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree