Last season’s beaten finalists, Pennine League Premier Division Wibsey Warriors, crashed out of the Ace Insurance BARLA National Cup 21-16 at Championship high-fliers Upton.

The Warriors, who were clearly at a disadvantage when the second-round tie was switched to Pontefract after their Northfield Road pitch was declared to be waterlogged, soon found themselves 10-0 behind after a slow start.

They staged one of their customary fightbacks, with tries from centre Nick Fontaine, stand-off Ryan Smith and prop Adam Jefferson, which, together with two conversions from packman Shaun Godfrey, put them into a 16-10 lead.

However, the rustic hosts then scored an unconverted try to send the sides into the interval at 16-16.

The second stanza was an ill-tempered affair that saw Upton taking the spoils with two penalties and a drop goal, with both defences refusing to yield an inch in heavy conditions.

Victoria Rangers feel they were badly done to in their 24-22 exit at home to Slaithwaite Saracens.

The Vics completely dominated the opening half against the Saracens, who operate five divisions above them in the Pennine League hierarchy.

Rangers were superb value for their 16-6 half-time lead following two touchdowns from Aiden Scully, which he converted himself, and a sparkling solo effort from Isaac Brown.

Scully soon completed his hat-trick on the restart and tagged on the extras for what looked to be a winning 22-6 margin.

But the visitors then took advantage of a huge 12-0 penalty count in their favour to claw back the score to 22-18.

The game then ended on a sour note when, with the clock well into injury time, the Saracens scored on the seventh tackle to steal the tie in controversial circumstances.

West Bowling A went down 28-16 at Eastmoor Dragons A in Pennine League Division Four.

Bowling went into the interval 14-6 in arrears, despite a touchdown from wingman Karl Robinson, converted by scrum half Ben Heald.

They put the game well within reach when centre Phil Munro made the chalk once again, the touchdown being converted by Heald, but it was not to be and, although they posted another try from winger Karl Spring, the Dragons had the final say late on to put the game to bed.

Odsal Sedbergh enjoyed a 40-14 at Division Seven bottom outfit Kings Cross Park.

Sedge ended the first half 14-14 after John Adams, Ste Barnes and Aaron Kilduff reached the whitewash.

But Sedge ran riot on the restart when Adams completed his hat-trick with two long-range solo efforts, while further tries were added by Shaquille Jones, Jonny Ward and Simon Knowles.