Guiseley 0 Worcester City 1

Football finally returned to Nethermoor at the weekend but the Lions slumped to a third straight league defeat.

Guiseley had not played a home game since before Christmas following several postponements but it was visitors Worcester City who were glad that this game beat the weather.

Home debutant Oli Johnson and namesake Alex Johnson were having some success early on and causing the visitors’ defence problems.

City were also threatening and midway through the first half the lofty Aaron Brown showed his aerial prowess when his nod down found Daniel Nti.

His overhead attempt was well off target but Guiseley conceded a throw-in that almost went in off a defender's head, keeper Steve Drench plucking the ball out from just under the bar.

A later Gavin Rothery free kick, after Alex Johnson was fouled, from a central position 30 yards from goal just sailed through on the breeze.

Wayne Brooksby and Lions skipper Andy Holdsworth combined well later with the latter sending a deep cross that unsettled the visitors’ defence.

Drench was then forced into two good saves as City captain Ellis Deeney sent in a shot from distance that took a heavy deflection and a long-range Brown effort then had him back-pedalling.

Oli Johnson made way for Danny Forrest at the break and the forward went close within a minute, his low shot from just outside the area going narrowly wide.

However, the visitors broke the deadlock with what proved to be the winning goal. Nti did well to get the ball into the corner and he delivered a superb cross that was met with a towering header by Brown.

Brown could have doubled Worcester’s lead a minute later following some uncertainty in the home defence but he dragged his low shot inches wide.

Guiseley woke up at that point and began to press and just before the hour-mark Adam Boyes, another player making his home debut for the Lions, saw his shot parried by City keeper Jose Veiga, who gathered just before Brooksby reached the rebound.

With the home side pressing for an equaliser, gaps appeared at the back which kept Worcester interested. With the clock ticking away and into the four minutes of added time, Guiseley forced a number of corners but the pressure did not lead to an equaliser.

Lions boss Mark Bower said: “It was very disappointing because it was difficult for us to get going. I didn’t think we had any concerted pressure until the last two minutes.

“The conditions certainly didn’t help us but we had chances to get a point or possibly three at the end.”

The Lions host Harrogate Town in the league on Tuesday night.