Farsley 2, Northwich Victoria 2

Farsley’s outside hopes of snatching top spot in the Evo-Stik League Division One table were blown away by battling Northwich Victoria on a blustery day at Throstle Nest.

The adverse conditions ruined the game as a spectacle and made it difficult for players of both sides.

Farsley also failed to make their task easier as they let a lead slip to go in at the break 2-1 down.

It was a fractious opening to the game as both sides tried, in vain, to cope with the horrendous conditions.

Northwich goalkeeper Tim Deasy was injured early on and there was a stoppage as he received treatment before the former Bradford Park Avenue stopper was able to continue.

The game had hardly settled when the home side struck the opening goal. A well-crafted passing move ended with Lee Ellington and he fired a shot into the bottom corner to Deasy’s right from the edge of the area.

The visitors showed no signs of getting back into the game until they mounted a lightning break just before the half-hour mark.

Vics striker Ashley Stott was forced wide by Aaron Hardy but his low ball to team-mate Gary Burnett went in of Farsley keeper Tom Morgan.

It was a goal from nothing but the home side went close to retaking the lead through Aiden Savory, a Matt Dempsey free-kick and skipper Rob O’Brien. The Vics then stunned the hosts when Stott’s low effort was sliced into the net by centre back Paddy Miller as he attempted to clear.

It could have got worse for Farsley when, a minute later, their defence was all at sea again and Miller was forced to clear a Joe Holt shot after Morgan had come to the edge of his area to block.

It seemed impossible after the first period but the conditions worsened at the start of the second half.

Yet the home side created a host of good openings while the visitors were penned back for long periods, although they continued to look dangerous on the break.

Farsley got their reward in the 72nd minute when substitute Adam Priestley netted a deserved equaliser. Following good build-up play, the ball was worked to Priestley but the Gibraltar international still had work to do to make space before finding the bottom corner of the net.

Farsley boss Neil Parsley said: “I think the conditions did make it very difficult and a draw was probably a fair result.

“Both sides tried hard to make a proper game of it but you can’t postpone a game because of wind.

“I feel sorry for the spectators who have paid to come in and watch because it wasn’t worth it.

“We were defending well and I couldn’t really see Northwich coming back, so it was strange when we conceded two goals.

“I thought we did well in the second half but again there was no advantage because the wind was too strong.”