Matthews hat-trick helps Brighouse Town thump high-flying rivals

4:52pm Sunday 2nd February 2014

By Ian Whiting

Tadcaster Albion were plotting to reclaim the Premier Division leadership but were blown off course by rampant Brighouse Town in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League.

Town thrashed their visitors 8-1, rattling in a half-dozen goals without reply in the one-sided first half.

Tom Matthews started the scoring in that first period and ended it as he bagged a hat-trick before the interval.

Matthews’ fifth-minute opener was followed by an Ernest Boafo strike and when Ben Thornton, Matthews and Joe Jagger all netted within three minutes midway through the first 45 minutes, the contest was over.

After Matthews had wrapped up the first-half scoring, Tadcaster pulled one back through Danny Critchlow just after the hour mark. But Thornton restored Town’s six-goal cushion a minute later and Jagger netted again ten minutes from time.

Despite their defeat, Tadcaster remain second but Town moved up to fifth – just above Albion Sports, who were held to a 1-1 draw.

Albion dominated at Garforth Town but only had Danny Facey’s first-half strike to show for it.

The home side nicked a point when Josh Cartman netted a late penalty after CJ Lyle had been fouled in the area.

The decision in favour of former Eccleshill United man Lyle left Albion boss Kulwinder Sandhu fuming.

He said: “It was never a penalty, the referee got that one wrong.

“But even then we had a great chance to win it when Danny got through. We had most of the play but we needed that second goal.”

Thackley stayed just above Brighouse after a 4-1 win at Maltby Main, where a gusty wind and soft pitch meant the conditions had a negative effect on the game.

Matt Mathers put the Dennyboys in front midway through the first half and Nicky Matthews added just after the half-hour point.

Maltby pegged one back through Shaun Mitchell early in the second half but Mathers struck a second and substitute Luke Richardson claimed the visitors’ fourth.

Marcus Edwards returned from suspension and picked up his scoring form where he left off as his brace saw Eccleshill United to a 2-1 home win over Dinnington Town in Division One.

The Eagles dominated but could not find the breakthrough in a goalless first half, with Ryan Jones being denied by the woodwork.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock through Sam Reed eight minutes after the interval but Edwards rescued the Eagles with two goals inside the last quarter hour.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Click 2 Find Business Directory