LIVE BLOG: City 0 Preston 0

This live event has finished

Latest

  • Team news
  • Twitter reaction
  • Match updates
  • Report

9:38pm

Kyle Bennett was sent off on his debut but City held high-flying Preston in a lively Valley Parade encounter tonight.
The on-loan Doncaster winger was dismissed along with Preston’s Neil Kilkenny after what looked a minor incident midway through the first half.
But the ten men of both teams served up an exciting game which could have gone either way.
Fourth-placed Preston will feel they should have won it after hitting the post twice through Paul Gallagher and Josh Brownhill. But City had their moments as well with left winger Adam Reach producing a real crowd-pleasing performance.
And at the back, Andrew Davies successfully negotiated his first game since October 5 looking as confident as ever. His return heralded only City’s second clean sheet since that day.

9:37pm

And that's it, 0-0 but a good one...

9:35pm

A third sub for the visitors as Keane comes on for Brownhill, who's had an excellent game

9:34pm

Four minutes extra

9:31pm

Attack, attack, attack chant the Kop

9:30pm

McBurnie takes a painful blow but carries on

9:30pm

Just over two minutes of normal time to go

9:29pm

And now it's a corner... which comes to nothing

9:29pm

McBurnie cynically body-checked. City have a chance to get the ball in their box

9:27pm

Another name in the book as Welsh fouls Reach.

9:26pm

Mr Humphrey was free there on the wing. Sorry, I had to say that...

9:24pm

Goal for Preston.... oh no it's not!!! Offside flag stops the celebrations on the pitch and their bench. Shame

9:23pm

Another sub for City. Ravenhill comes on for Doyle

9:22pm

9:22pm

The wall does its job - and again to see off the danger

9:21pm

McArdle flattens Welsh inside the City D. A booking for the defender and a chance for the visitors

9:16pm

Jones slides a perfectly weighted pass into Darby's path and he wins the corner. Right back been superb getting up and down that flank

9:15pm

Preston also make their first change. Humphrey, the winger Stuart McCall had at Motherwell, replaces Wiseman

9:13pm

McBurnie comes on for Mclean with 18 minutes left

9:12pm

Davies with a superb defensive header to take Gallagher's cross off the head of Garner.

9:12pm

Darby lofts a cross into the six-yard area but Rudd jumps well to take it above Hanson.

9:11pm

Chant for Ollie McBurnie as the teenager prepares to come on

9:09pm

Bates tries a bit of trickery with a weaving run into the box...

9:08pm

Jones free-kick cannons back off the wall of white shirts

9:08pm

Mclean flattened by Wright 30 yards out. Booking for the Preston defender

9:07pm

Preston hit the woodwork for a second time! This time it's Brownhill with a cracking left-foot drive that rattles the post with McLaughlin beaten

9:06pm

Promising break from Hanson but he tries to cut back on his left foot which allows Clarke to get a tackle in.

9:04pm

He's fine...

9:03pm

Hanson slides into Rudd and Attwell immediately whistles for the physio as the keeper stays down.

9:02pm

Crowd is 13,686 with 1,114 from Preston

9:01pm

Preston do the job and move ends with a poorly-hit pass by Doyle

9:00pm

Corner number six for the Bantams as Midland Road belts out...

8:59pm

Davies gets upfield to whip in a cross - and a pretty good one - from the left wing...

8:58pm

Welsh finds room to thread a pass through for Garner to chase into the City penalty area but Davies uses his strength to safely shepherd it out.

8:54pm

Corner drops to Hanson who flicks it over the bar

8:53pm

Reach latches on to Hanson header but Clarke stretches to turn ball behind for corner

8:53pm

Mclean denied by Rudd.... end to end now

8:52pm

Bates passes absent-mindedly to Garner coming back from offside position. He lays it back to Brownhill who fires straight at McLaughlin

8:51pm

The fans have a new hero in Reach, old-fashioned winger...

8:51pm

Mistake by Bates gives Preston chance to break. Gallagher's angled shot saved by McLaughlin.

8:51pm

Scramble of bodies in Preston box as Mclean shot is charged down

8:49pm

That's got the Kop going

8:49pm

Reach with another teasing cross that Rudd tips over his bar.

8:49pm

Bates and Davies combine to thwart Gallagher's attempted shot.

8:48pm

And Preston have a corner straight away.... which McLaughlin catches with confidence

8:48pm

We're back underway...

8:46pm

I can hear the boos. The ref must be coming back out for "round two"...

8:33pm

The stewards flank Attwell as he walks off the pitch. They can't stop Doyle getting over to have a word or ten....

8:32pm

And it's 0-0 at the break between the ten of City and Preston...

8:31pm

8:30pm

Two added minutes to come

8:30pm

Reach cross headed goalwards by Mclean but Rudd punches theatrically away.

8:28pm

Wright heads away before clash of heads between Hanson and Clarke.

8:28pm

Another City corner.

8:25pm

8:24pm

Reach proving popular as he wins another corner. Eventually comes to nothing

8:22pm

Jones's corner headed out as far as Doyle who fires it back with a venomous volley that strikes an unsuspecting defender

8:22pm

Spot of penalty area head tennis before ball drops for Doyle, whose drive is deflected way over the bar. First City corner

8:21pm

Positive play from Reach lifts the crowd but Clarke blocks his attempted cross

8:20pm

So Kyle Bennett misses out on a trip to Molineux where he spent over ten years as a Wolves youngster. Still never played there

8:18pm

Looked a ridiculous over-reaction from the ref to send off both players. So once again we're going to be talking about officials...

8:17pm

And breathe..... The game calms down for a moment

8:16pm

Preston should be ahead. Garner misses Laird's cross but Gallagher hits the post from inches out - much sympathy from the Kop!

8:12pm

Bennett fouled the former Leeds man in midfield. Kilkenny then falls down and ref Stuart Attwell sends off the debutant - tussle ensues and Preston man goes as well...

8:11pm

Both teams down to ten men! Kyle Bennett and Neil Kilkenny sent off

8:08pm

Darby, who is playing well again, drives past Laird before Hanson flicks his cross just past Mclean

8:08pm

Back-to-back offside calls frustrate Mclean and Reach

8:05pm

Wall - or rather Stephen Darby - does its job

8:04pm

Free-kick for Preston a yard or so outside the City box. Dangerous position for the home side

8:03pm

Best chance for City but the ball wouldn't come down for Mclean. Bennett worked it into the striker's path but he could only fire into the ground from 12 yards out.

8:01pm

Pitch starting to cut up a bit in places as the rain comes down heavier.

8:00pm

Davies back in the groove with two clearing headers

7:59pm

Brownhill tries to use the slick surface with an effort from 25 yards but it's another simple save

7:57pm

Laird floats an inviting angled cross into City box but Bates coolly chests it back to his keeper.

7:55pm

Preston respond straight away and Brownhill's low shot is gathered by a diving McLaughlin.

7:54pm

Bennett nutmegs Welsh on way to feeding Mclean on right wing. His cross is missed by Hanson but ball drops for Reach to fire just wide.

7:53pm

Thought it was too good to last .... here comes the rain.

7:52pm

Corner for Preston but McLaughlin claims it under no pressure at all.

7:51pm

Davies's first touch since October, safely puts the ball out of play

7:50pm

Stephen Darby seeing a lot of the ball early on. Nothing getting past him

7:49pm

Plenty of Preston fans here making some noise. Good atmosphere about the place tonight

7:48pm

Reach ball forward flicked on by Hanson but just too much on it for the chasing Mclean.

7:47pm

Soccer AM camera crew in the press box...

7:46pm

Garner down after clash of heads on halfway, banging the turf in pain

7:45pm

Preston get the game underway kicking towards the Kop...

7:44pm

Wireless dipping in and out as kick-off approaches.... Nice timing

7:40pm

Atmosphere building nicely as we wait for the teams

7:39pm

7:36pm

7:30pm

City not just due a win but due a midweek win - haven't managed one yet this season. Last Tuesday night victory was the 4-1 thumping of Bristol Rovers here on April 9

7:20pm

7:16pm

Judging by his tweet, sounds like Jordan Graham's annoyed after failing to make the bench..

7:15pm

7:04pm

Preston expected to line up 3-5-2 with two wing backs. Former City loanee Lee Holmes among their substitutes.

7:01pm

7:01pm

7:01pm

Preston are still without Kevin Davies who is serving the second game of his ban for last week's red card against Coventry.

They are the second best travellers in League One with eight away wins and only two defeats from 13 games.

PRESTON: Rudd, Laird, Clarke, Wright, Wiseman, King, Brownhill, Welsh, Kilkenny, Garner, Gallagher. Subs: Keane, Humphrey, Beavon, Holmes, Buchanan, Hume, Stuckmann. 

6:44pm

Andrew Davies is back for his first game in over three months.

The centre half is one of four changes from the City team that came back from two down to draw at Sheffield United ten days ago.

New boys Kyle Bennett and Adam Reach both start on the wings, while Nathan Doyle returns in central midfield. Chris Atkinson, the third loanee, is on the bench.

Ricky Ravenhill is also back among the subs after injury as is Oliver McBurnie. There is no Mark Yeates, who is still feeling his knee problem after an injection to try to settle it down.

CITY: McLaughlin, Darby, McArdle, Davies, Bates, Bennett, Doyle, Jones, Reach, Mclean, Hanson. Subs: Ravenhill, Gray, Thompson, McHugh, McBurnie, Atkinson, Jameson.

 

6:25pm

6:20pm

Preston just been out for a good look at the surface. Judging by the body language, and I'm no expert, they seemed quite surprised with how well it has held up so far.

6:13pm

6:13pm

Team news not expected for another half an hour. Will be interesting to see how many of the new boys are thrown straight in by Phil Parkinson.

My hunch is that both wingers will play but he might hold back Chris Atkinson and restore Nathan Doyle in the middle so the midfield is not too open.

And I would think that Andrew Davies is in line for his first appearance at the back since October 5.

6:11pm

6:06pm

Good evening from a cold but - at this moment - dry Valley Parade for tonight's home clash with away specialists Preston.

Well it's beaten the wet weather, unlike several other games in Leagues One and Two, and the pitch looks well considering all the rain.

Will be bit on the soft side in front of the main stand but the general surface is decent.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:03pm Tue 28 Jan 14

London bcfc says...

Big Night, come on Boys!!
Big Night, come on Boys!! London bcfc
  • Score: 0

9:40pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Bantam76 says...

Sounds like a hard earned point - and any coincidence that we get a clean sheet with the return of AD - great to have the lad back! CTID
Sounds like a hard earned point - and any coincidence that we get a clean sheet with the return of AD - great to have the lad back! CTID Bantam76
  • Score: 3

9:43pm Tue 28 Jan 14

London bcfc says...

Can anyone tell me how I can stream the pulses live commentary as due to restrictions it's not possible to listen to the pulse through the internet while the game is on. Before any sarcastic comments about going to the game I'm a single parent in London so quite hard to attend!!
Can anyone tell me how I can stream the pulses live commentary as due to restrictions it's not possible to listen to the pulse through the internet while the game is on. Before any sarcastic comments about going to the game I'm a single parent in London so quite hard to attend!! London bcfc
  • Score: 4

9:46pm Tue 28 Jan 14

London bcfc says...

Simon Parker - is the only thing that happened in the last 6 minutes a Preston sub? Surely you can post more info than that. Unfortunately I can't attend as many games as I would like so rely on you for info. Disappointing
Simon Parker - is the only thing that happened in the last 6 minutes a Preston sub? Surely you can post more info than that. Unfortunately I can't attend as many games as I would like so rely on you for info. Disappointing London bcfc
  • Score: -1

9:51pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Halifax Bantam says...

Clueless again, tactics all wrong as usual, havent won for 10 games onus on us to attack and parky subs doyle for ravenhill!!!! why did he bother signing an attacking midfielder if he has no intention of playing with one? Parky will no doubt blame the ref, not many managers would survive a run like this. On the plus side davies was immense, bennett looked good until stupid sending off and reach looked useful as well.
Clueless again, tactics all wrong as usual, havent won for 10 games onus on us to attack and parky subs doyle for ravenhill!!!! why did he bother signing an attacking midfielder if he has no intention of playing with one? Parky will no doubt blame the ref, not many managers would survive a run like this. On the plus side davies was immense, bennett looked good until stupid sending off and reach looked useful as well. Halifax Bantam
  • Score: 2

10:07pm Tue 28 Jan 14

yorkbantam73 says...

7 wins all season is very poor, Parky's first thoughts are not to lose the game this shows with his subs, we sign a box to box midfielder because that's what we are missing in Parky's own words then he brings on a defensive midfielder with 10 mins to go at 0-0!!

He's needs to have more courage to try and win games or we will soon be dragged into the dog fight at bottom, come on Parky no excuses for no home wins since September your living off last season at the moment!
7 wins all season is very poor, Parky's first thoughts are not to lose the game this shows with his subs, we sign a box to box midfielder because that's what we are missing in Parky's own words then he brings on a defensive midfielder with 10 mins to go at 0-0!! He's needs to have more courage to try and win games or we will soon be dragged into the dog fight at bottom, come on Parky no excuses for no home wins since September your living off last season at the moment! yorkbantam73
  • Score: 2

10:08pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Victor Clayton says...

Thought it was a good battling display. I thought that we were better than of late and there were some encouraging signs. With the 2 sendings off its difficult to say. Heared Tim and sticks saying that they were a joke.But what opinion did the ref have? I was happy he did the decent thing and send their player off also. Tim and sticks are poor imo. Anyway, happy with the draw. was disappointed that Atkinson didn't come on for Doyle or mcburny (hope we have a long contract) for Hanson, but that's PP, very cautious.
Thought it was a good battling display. I thought that we were better than of late and there were some encouraging signs. With the 2 sendings off its difficult to say. Heared Tim and sticks saying that they were a joke.But what opinion did the ref have? I was happy he did the decent thing and send their player off also. Tim and sticks are poor imo. Anyway, happy with the draw. was disappointed that Atkinson didn't come on for Doyle or mcburny (hope we have a long contract) for Hanson, but that's PP, very cautious. Victor Clayton
  • Score: 4

10:34pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Victor Clayton says...

Also thought Davis Bates and Darby were brilliant. Mcardle, well less said....
Also thought Davis Bates and Darby were brilliant. Mcardle, well less said.... Victor Clayton
  • Score: 3

10:38pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Farsley Bantam says...

London bcfc wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I can stream the pulses live commentary as due to restrictions it's not possible to listen to the pulse through the internet while the game is on. Before any sarcastic comments about going to the game I'm a single parent in London so quite hard to attend!!
City have the Bantams player online that you have to pay for to listen to games. As a result the pulse can't broadcast games on the internet.
[quote][p][bold]London bcfc[/bold] wrote: Can anyone tell me how I can stream the pulses live commentary as due to restrictions it's not possible to listen to the pulse through the internet while the game is on. Before any sarcastic comments about going to the game I'm a single parent in London so quite hard to attend!![/p][/quote]City have the Bantams player online that you have to pay for to listen to games. As a result the pulse can't broadcast games on the internet. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 2

10:42pm Tue 28 Jan 14

bigang02 says...

well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men. bigang02
  • Score: 0

10:43pm Tue 28 Jan 14

bigang02 says...

o and davis what more can you say was great to have him back.
o and davis what more can you say was great to have him back. bigang02
  • Score: 1

10:44pm Tue 28 Jan 14

London bcfc says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
London bcfc wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I can stream the pulses live commentary as due to restrictions it's not possible to listen to the pulse through the internet while the game is on. Before any sarcastic comments about going to the game I'm a single parent in London so quite hard to attend!!
City have the Bantams player online that you have to pay for to listen to games. As a result the pulse can't broadcast games on the internet.
Thanks, didn't know it existed.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London bcfc[/bold] wrote: Can anyone tell me how I can stream the pulses live commentary as due to restrictions it's not possible to listen to the pulse through the internet while the game is on. Before any sarcastic comments about going to the game I'm a single parent in London so quite hard to attend!![/p][/quote]City have the Bantams player online that you have to pay for to listen to games. As a result the pulse can't broadcast games on the internet.[/p][/quote]Thanks, didn't know it existed. London bcfc
  • Score: 2

11:22pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Farsley Bantam says...

bigang02 wrote:
o and davis what more can you say was great to have him back.
Saved Mcardle's bacon several times. We would have lost that game by a couple of goals last week.
[quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: o and davis what more can you say was great to have him back.[/p][/quote]Saved Mcardle's bacon several times. We would have lost that game by a couple of goals last week. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 1

11:47pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Victor Clayton says...

bigang02 wrote:
well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.
[quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.[/p][/quote]End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle. Victor Clayton
  • Score: 3

12:42am Wed 29 Jan 14

Bradford1903 says...

I thought it was a fair result, and a reasonable display in tricky conditions, in a game that was largely spoiled by the ref. Unfortunately if you give Attwell the chance to be centre of attention he will quite happily take it. A yellow card for both would've sufficed.

Thought there were a number of good performances, apart from McArdle who had a shocker, and was very susceptible to the ball in behind, although their number 14 was a bit of a handful.

It was a difficult game for Reach, as with us keeping two up top, he had to tuck inside to make the extra man in midfield, but I thought he did pretty well, and made some good runs in the 2nd half.

I think it says a lot about Davies that he can be out for that period of time, and perform like he's never been away. Bates was also very solid at left back.

There was no shortage of commitment, but you just feel we need that break.
I thought it was a fair result, and a reasonable display in tricky conditions, in a game that was largely spoiled by the ref. Unfortunately if you give Attwell the chance to be centre of attention he will quite happily take it. A yellow card for both would've sufficed. Thought there were a number of good performances, apart from McArdle who had a shocker, and was very susceptible to the ball in behind, although their number 14 was a bit of a handful. It was a difficult game for Reach, as with us keeping two up top, he had to tuck inside to make the extra man in midfield, but I thought he did pretty well, and made some good runs in the 2nd half. I think it says a lot about Davies that he can be out for that period of time, and perform like he's never been away. Bates was also very solid at left back. There was no shortage of commitment, but you just feel we need that break. Bradford1903
  • Score: 0

8:27am Wed 29 Jan 14

tyker2 says...

Parky signs an attacking midfield player from a higher division in which he scores an has him bench warming Unbelievable. Sign an 18 year old premiership junior and does nothing with him. Why? send his back if you are not going to use him.
Glad Davies is back but not getting enough people in to the box in open play: you will never score enough goals like this.

Was Kilkenny hit by Mike Tyson? he went down cold but was up immediately only to get sent off: shame for the guy!! not
Parky signs an attacking midfield player from a higher division in which he scores an has him bench warming Unbelievable. Sign an 18 year old premiership junior and does nothing with him. Why? send his back if you are not going to use him. Glad Davies is back but not getting enough people in to the box in open play: you will never score enough goals like this. Was Kilkenny hit by Mike Tyson? he went down cold but was up immediately only to get sent off: shame for the guy!! not tyker2
  • Score: 1

9:25am Wed 29 Jan 14

dannbradfc says...

Victor Clayton wrote:
bigang02 wrote:
well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.
to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me..........

Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much.

Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca
rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........
[quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.[/p][/quote]End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.[/p][/quote]to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday......... dannbradfc
  • Score: 0

9:51am Wed 29 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

In a game where we were holding our own and just about matching a very good Preston side I see some are clamouring for us to go gung ho and leave midfield wide open, Ravenhill on instead of Atkinson was the correct decision. It just helped tighten the middle where Doyle had started to become 'leggy' and they were finding space.

I've thoroughly enjoyed both the home and away matches v Preston and am happy we have matched a side that will be competing for promotion at the end of the season.
In a game where we were holding our own and just about matching a very good Preston side I see some are clamouring for us to go gung ho and leave midfield wide open, Ravenhill on instead of Atkinson was the correct decision. It just helped tighten the middle where Doyle had started to become 'leggy' and they were finding space. I've thoroughly enjoyed both the home and away matches v Preston and am happy we have matched a side that will be competing for promotion at the end of the season. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 4

10:04am Wed 29 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

dannbradfc wrote:
Victor Clayton wrote:
bigang02 wrote:
well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.
to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me..........

Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much.

Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca

rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........
McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes.

Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.[/p][/quote]End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.[/p][/quote]to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........[/p][/quote]McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: -1

11:20am Wed 29 Jan 14

Farsley Bantam says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
Victor Clayton wrote:
bigang02 wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.
to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........
McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.
Disagree about McLean. He was living off scraps really and had the ball launched down his throat, which is not easy when your 5ft 6! I got the feeling that when him and Hanson gel and he regains match sharpness he will be a good addition. He looked quite powerful and difficult to knock off the ball. Couldn't fault his effort either.
Funny how people see different things in the same match.
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.[/p][/quote]End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.[/p][/quote]to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........[/p][/quote]McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.[/p][/quote]Disagree about McLean. He was living off scraps really and had the ball launched down his throat, which is not easy when your 5ft 6! I got the feeling that when him and Hanson gel and he regains match sharpness he will be a good addition. He looked quite powerful and difficult to knock off the ball. Couldn't fault his effort either. Funny how people see different things in the same match. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 4

11:29am Wed 29 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
Victor Clayton wrote:
bigang02 wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.
to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........
McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.
Disagree about McLean. He was living off scraps really and had the ball launched down his throat, which is not easy when your 5ft 6! I got the feeling that when him and Hanson gel and he regains match sharpness he will be a good addition. He looked quite powerful and difficult to knock off the ball. Couldn't fault his effort either.
Funny how people see different things in the same match.
Yes, it is. I may be a bit unkind in my assessment. It just seemed that there were times when the ball was in the air a long time (when isn't it?) that he had chance to start to make his runs in behind but remained static, if he is to make a success of his partnership with Hanson he is going to have to move beyond him rather than stand alongside or drop off.

I know he is a different player to Nahki but it may be worth watching some footage of the goals he scored when running off Hanson, the style won't change much so the player will have to adapt.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.[/p][/quote]End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.[/p][/quote]to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........[/p][/quote]McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.[/p][/quote]Disagree about McLean. He was living off scraps really and had the ball launched down his throat, which is not easy when your 5ft 6! I got the feeling that when him and Hanson gel and he regains match sharpness he will be a good addition. He looked quite powerful and difficult to knock off the ball. Couldn't fault his effort either. Funny how people see different things in the same match.[/p][/quote]Yes, it is. I may be a bit unkind in my assessment. It just seemed that there were times when the ball was in the air a long time (when isn't it?) that he had chance to start to make his runs in behind but remained static, if he is to make a success of his partnership with Hanson he is going to have to move beyond him rather than stand alongside or drop off. I know he is a different player to Nahki but it may be worth watching some footage of the goals he scored when running off Hanson, the style won't change much so the player will have to adapt. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: -1

12:58pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Victor Clayton says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
Victor Clayton wrote:
bigang02 wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.
End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.
to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........
McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.
Disagree about McLean. He was living off scraps really and had the ball launched down his throat, which is not easy when your 5ft 6! I got the feeling that when him and Hanson gel and he regains match sharpness he will be a good addition. He looked quite powerful and difficult to knock off the ball. Couldn't fault his effort either. Funny how people see different things in the same match.
Yes, it is. I may be a bit unkind in my assessment. It just seemed that there were times when the ball was in the air a long time (when isn't it?) that he had chance to start to make his runs in behind but remained static, if he is to make a success of his partnership with Hanson he is going to have to move beyond him rather than stand alongside or drop off. I know he is a different player to Nahki but it may be worth watching some footage of the goals he scored when running off Hanson, the style won't change much so the player will have to adapt.
I really do hope that we don’t try and play McLean as a direct replacement for Wells. Time for a change and every position should be rethought. No one, inc Hanson should be guaranteed a place.
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigang02[/bold] wrote: well what a fantastic game to watch it was end to end.i thought we played really well.rory bit off but rest i thought was great.new player reach i thought was great n hope to see plenty more from him.bennett should have not retaliated silly lad but at least we both was down to 10 men.[/p][/quote]End to end but neither team committing many players into the opposition box. I think both managers had settled for a draw long before the final whistle.[/p][/quote]to true....they had 5 at the back at one stage in 2nd half. We need to be more focused on attack at home. The teams were tired and an injection of pace was required not McBurnie for me.......... Yes we have two wingers and we certainly looked like we can now attack from both flanks. We still sit on the half way line too much. Jones , Davies and Darby were fantasstic......Mcca rdle was awful at times and as been a liability at the back a few times this season. he backs off due to lack of pace and is constantly out of position. Davies carried him yesterday.........[/p][/quote]McLean looked tired and ineffective, either Gray or McBurnie were the right subs to make and as McBurnie has more pace than Gray he was selected, and put himself about a bit too. He also 'read' Hanson better than McLean did all game who appeared either not 100%, a bit lazy or dare I say it, out of his depth. He flattered to deceive. I hope this is just a case of gelling with his new team mates and gaining a working understanding of how we play and will continue to play but otherwise we may have 'bought a pup' as the saying goes. Saying that, a draw looked on the cards from the point of the sendings off as neither manager would have planned for that and their whole game plan went out of the window. This is a game we would have lost a few weeks ago and now with Davies in the side I can see us turning those losses into draws and games we would have drawn into wins.[/p][/quote]Disagree about McLean. He was living off scraps really and had the ball launched down his throat, which is not easy when your 5ft 6! I got the feeling that when him and Hanson gel and he regains match sharpness he will be a good addition. He looked quite powerful and difficult to knock off the ball. Couldn't fault his effort either. Funny how people see different things in the same match.[/p][/quote]Yes, it is. I may be a bit unkind in my assessment. It just seemed that there were times when the ball was in the air a long time (when isn't it?) that he had chance to start to make his runs in behind but remained static, if he is to make a success of his partnership with Hanson he is going to have to move beyond him rather than stand alongside or drop off. I know he is a different player to Nahki but it may be worth watching some footage of the goals he scored when running off Hanson, the style won't change much so the player will have to adapt.[/p][/quote]I really do hope that we don’t try and play McLean as a direct replacement for Wells. Time for a change and every position should be rethought. No one, inc Hanson should be guaranteed a place. Victor Clayton
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Won't happen. McLean is a replacement for Wells and as such he will have to adapt to that role or a role that works around what we have already.
Won't happen. McLean is a replacement for Wells and as such he will have to adapt to that role or a role that works around what we have already. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

1:08pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Victor Clayton says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
In a game where we were holding our own and just about matching a very good Preston side I see some are clamouring for us to go gung ho and leave midfield wide open, Ravenhill on instead of Atkinson was the correct decision. It just helped tighten the middle where Doyle had started to become 'leggy' and they were finding space. I've thoroughly enjoyed both the home and away matches v Preston and am happy we have matched a side that will be competing for promotion at the end of the season.
I think this is a very good League and we dont often look the "better team". so can understand PPs caution. Doyle didn't look fit and I was dissapointed he didn't start with Atkinson, but he may well have his reasons. the question is - can we stay in this league playing defencive without winning or losing many, or will it come back to bite us?
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: In a game where we were holding our own and just about matching a very good Preston side I see some are clamouring for us to go gung ho and leave midfield wide open, Ravenhill on instead of Atkinson was the correct decision. It just helped tighten the middle where Doyle had started to become 'leggy' and they were finding space. I've thoroughly enjoyed both the home and away matches v Preston and am happy we have matched a side that will be competing for promotion at the end of the season.[/p][/quote]I think this is a very good League and we dont often look the "better team". so can understand PPs caution. Doyle didn't look fit and I was dissapointed he didn't start with Atkinson, but he may well have his reasons. the question is - can we stay in this league playing defencive without winning or losing many, or will it come back to bite us? Victor Clayton
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Victor Clayton says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
Won't happen. McLean is a replacement for Wells and as such he will have to adapt to that role or a role that works around what we have already.
I am sure you are right. unfortunately.
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: Won't happen. McLean is a replacement for Wells and as such he will have to adapt to that role or a role that works around what we have already.[/p][/quote]I am sure you are right. unfortunately. Victor Clayton
  • Score: 0

2:09pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Victor Clayton wrote:
Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
In a game where we were holding our own and just about matching a very good Preston side I see some are clamouring for us to go gung ho and leave midfield wide open, Ravenhill on instead of Atkinson was the correct decision. It just helped tighten the middle where Doyle had started to become 'leggy' and they were finding space. I've thoroughly enjoyed both the home and away matches v Preston and am happy we have matched a side that will be competing for promotion at the end of the season.
I think this is a very good League and we dont often look the "better team". so can understand PPs caution. Doyle didn't look fit and I was dissapointed he didn't start with Atkinson, but he may well have his reasons. the question is - can we stay in this league playing defencive without winning or losing many, or will it come back to bite us?
I think the 'silly' goals we have conceded over the last 3 months will now dry up so we will hopefully see an upturn in results. The work Davies put in last night to cover weak play by team mates evidences this slightly.
[quote][p][bold]Victor Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: In a game where we were holding our own and just about matching a very good Preston side I see some are clamouring for us to go gung ho and leave midfield wide open, Ravenhill on instead of Atkinson was the correct decision. It just helped tighten the middle where Doyle had started to become 'leggy' and they were finding space. I've thoroughly enjoyed both the home and away matches v Preston and am happy we have matched a side that will be competing for promotion at the end of the season.[/p][/quote]I think this is a very good League and we dont often look the "better team". so can understand PPs caution. Doyle didn't look fit and I was dissapointed he didn't start with Atkinson, but he may well have his reasons. the question is - can we stay in this league playing defencive without winning or losing many, or will it come back to bite us?[/p][/quote]I think the 'silly' goals we have conceded over the last 3 months will now dry up so we will hopefully see an upturn in results. The work Davies put in last night to cover weak play by team mates evidences this slightly. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree