Bradford City defensive lynchpin Andrew Davies back in five weeks

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Crocked centre back Andrew Davies will be up and running in a fortnight to complement his bike, gym and swim training sessions Crocked centre back Andrew Davies will be up and running in a fortnight to complement his bike, gym and swim training sessions

Andrew Davies is using last season as the inspiration for his latest injury comeback.

City’s influential centre half is on schedule to be up and running again for the turn of the year and is targeting a return to first-team combat by the end of next month.

Davies has missed the last 11 games since undergoing knee surgery but he is confident of getting quickly back up to pace – and points to his previous recovery as proof.

Davies said: “I’m ten weeks down the line now, so two more and I will start running again. I was running after 12 weeks last time and playing within another three. Fingers crossed, the progress will be that quick again.

“I want to do exactly the same as last year – and hopefully things will pan out the same.”

City have won only once and recorded only one clean sheet since Davies disappeared from the heart of the defence after they beat Walsall 2-0 on October 5. It has been a frustrating spell for both the player and the club.

But after spending the first few weeks on crutches, he can see light at the end of the tunnel as his recovery programme gathers pace.

“I’m working hard in the gym on the bike, doing lots of leg weights and plenty of swimming. I’m working a lot with our physio Matt Barrass, who has been fantastic.

“With any injury, you get good days and bad ones. There are times when your knee feels sore but you’ve just got to put the work in regardless to get it stronger.

“Once it gets to 12 weeks I can get outside and start running again. That will make it feel a lot closer.”

If all goes to plan, there will be at least 17 games left in City’s League One campaign when Davies presents himself for reselection.

He timed his run last year to come back for the late surge which took the Bantams into the play-offs and eventual promotion at Wembley.

Davies added: “There will be lots to play for. If we can keep the team still there or thereabouts around the play-offs, then hopefully I can come back in and help with a little bit of a push to get us where we want to be.

“That’s how it worked out last season and there’s no reason why we can’t do the same again. That was always my ambition from the start and it hasn’t changed.

“We’ve shown before that we will never give up until the last minute of the last game. That’s the strength of this team.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:15am Wed 18 Dec 13

tyker7745 says...

come back soon big man. Start of the year and the time to start a push for play off places. It has been done before and e can do it again.
come back soon big man. Start of the year and the time to start a push for play off places. It has been done before and e can do it again. tyker7745

9:30am Wed 18 Dec 13

Lancashire Bantam says...

This will be the turning point of our season, can't wait to get Davies back in the side. Since his injury I think it has cost us 12 to 15 points, a huge player and so badly missed.
This will be the turning point of our season, can't wait to get Davies back in the side. Since his injury I think it has cost us 12 to 15 points, a huge player and so badly missed. Lancashire Bantam

10:06am Wed 18 Dec 13

Freddy says...

*
He may need a couple of matches in the 'Stiffs'--to bring him up to match fitness.
*
I , like every other supporter will be delighted to see his return. If city still have the same nucleus of players, then a push for Play-Offs, is a strong possibility.
*
Should City achieve back to back promotion--at our HOME GROUND WEMBLEY!!!!.
*
Then ALL OF CITY'S Players-- will become Championship Players.
Who will then be in a position, to command much higher salaries --Plus, much higher Transfer Fees ! ( NB ; - Wells & Co.?)
*
* He may need a couple of matches in the 'Stiffs'--to bring him up to match fitness. * I , like every other supporter will be delighted to see his return. If city still have the same nucleus of players, then a push for Play-Offs, is a strong possibility. * Should City achieve back to back promotion--at our HOME GROUND WEMBLEY!!!!. * Then ALL OF CITY'S Players-- will become Championship Players. Who will then be in a position, to command much higher salaries --Plus, much higher Transfer Fees ! ( NB ; - Wells & Co.?) * Freddy

10:10am Wed 18 Dec 13

SHOESMAKER24 says...

as above great news , huge payer who will be up for the games that he plays in come on city
as above great news , huge payer who will be up for the games that he plays in come on city SHOESMAKER24

10:15am Wed 18 Dec 13

SHOESMAKER24 says...

ps should have been player not payer thank you
ps should have been player not payer thank you SHOESMAKER24

10:45am Wed 18 Dec 13

RuggerTyke says...

Might just soften the blow IF Wells leaves, as Walsall game showed.
Might just soften the blow IF Wells leaves, as Walsall game showed. RuggerTyke

11:16am Wed 18 Dec 13

realcitygent says...

we are lost without him,he is our leader on pitch mcardle looks lost without him,we lack somebody to put there foot in were it hurts, davies give us that,watched juniors last night we lost but played very well there commitment was first class, the boys heaton and king look very good prospects,also the right back looks like a young darby with tacking great for a small lad ,deff be watching them again ,roll on sat nice little trip peterbough
we are lost without him,he is our leader on pitch mcardle looks lost without him,we lack somebody to put there foot in were it hurts, davies give us that,watched juniors last night we lost but played very well there commitment was first class, the boys heaton and king look very good prospects,also the right back looks like a young darby with tacking great for a small lad ,deff be watching them again ,roll on sat nice little trip peterbough realcitygent

11:28am Wed 18 Dec 13

lawsonio123 says...

Andrew Davis is a vital cog in our defence he is also good at corners from which he gets the odd goal we are missing this odd goal now. Good luck Andrew get fit soon you are badly missed
Andrew Davis is a vital cog in our defence he is also good at corners from which he gets the odd goal we are missing this odd goal now. Good luck Andrew get fit soon you are badly missed lawsonio123

12:30pm Wed 18 Dec 13

RuggerTyke says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Andrew Davis is a vital cog in our defence he is also good at corners from which he gets the odd goal we are missing this odd goal now. Good luck Andrew get fit soon you are badly missed
Definitely the defence to which the rest can attack. Interesting how much Meredith has been exposed since AD got injured.

Bit like Monreal when Vermaelen came on for Koscielny versus Man City. Or whenever Kompany is missing for Man City, for all their attacking prowess are defensively pathetic.

Daves is MASSIVE.
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Andrew Davis is a vital cog in our defence he is also good at corners from which he gets the odd goal we are missing this odd goal now. Good luck Andrew get fit soon you are badly missed[/p][/quote]Definitely the defence to which the rest can attack. Interesting how much Meredith has been exposed since AD got injured. Bit like Monreal when Vermaelen came on for Koscielny versus Man City. Or whenever Kompany is missing for Man City, for all their attacking prowess are defensively pathetic. Daves is MASSIVE. RuggerTyke

12:30pm Wed 18 Dec 13

RuggerTyke says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Andrew Davis is a vital cog in our defence he is also good at corners from which he gets the odd goal we are missing this odd goal now. Good luck Andrew get fit soon you are badly missed
Definitely the defence to which the rest can attack. Interesting how much Meredith has been exposed since AD got injured.

Bit like Monreal when Vermaelen came on for Koscielny versus Man City. Or whenever Kompany is missing for Man City, for all their attacking prowess are defensively pathetic.

Daves is MASSIVE.
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Andrew Davis is a vital cog in our defence he is also good at corners from which he gets the odd goal we are missing this odd goal now. Good luck Andrew get fit soon you are badly missed[/p][/quote]Definitely the defence to which the rest can attack. Interesting how much Meredith has been exposed since AD got injured. Bit like Monreal when Vermaelen came on for Koscielny versus Man City. Or whenever Kompany is missing for Man City, for all their attacking prowess are defensively pathetic. Daves is MASSIVE. RuggerTyke

1:26pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Bantam76 says...

Will be like a new signing again if he's back in January! :-)
Will be like a new signing again if he's back in January! :-) Bantam76

1:50pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays.

It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out.

Good luck Andrew.
So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew. Papa Smurfs Wig

3:16pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Plastic Bantam says...

Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays.

It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out.

Good luck Andrew.
Who's Baker?
[quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.[/p][/quote]Who's Baker? Plastic Bantam

4:05pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Mick, Cleckheaton says...

realcitygent wrote:
we are lost without him,he is our leader on pitch mcardle looks lost without him,we lack somebody to put there foot in were it hurts, davies give us that,watched juniors last night we lost but played very well there commitment was first class, the boys heaton and king look very good prospects,also the right back looks like a young darby with tacking great for a small lad ,deff be watching them again ,roll on sat nice little trip peterbough
Agree with you about the right back, Hepworth, but thought King was the weak link in the team.

Does your keyboard not have a full stop?
[quote][p][bold]realcitygent[/bold] wrote: we are lost without him,he is our leader on pitch mcardle looks lost without him,we lack somebody to put there foot in were it hurts, davies give us that,watched juniors last night we lost but played very well there commitment was first class, the boys heaton and king look very good prospects,also the right back looks like a young darby with tacking great for a small lad ,deff be watching them again ,roll on sat nice little trip peterbough[/p][/quote]Agree with you about the right back, Hepworth, but thought King was the weak link in the team. Does your keyboard not have a full stop? Mick, Cleckheaton

1:24am Thu 19 Dec 13

Waynus1971 says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays.

It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out.

Good luck Andrew.
Who's Baker?
I think he means Bates.

Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.[/p][/quote]Who's Baker?[/p][/quote]I think he means Bates. Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move. Waynus1971

1:26am Thu 19 Dec 13

Waynus1971 says...

Freddy wrote:
*
He may need a couple of matches in the 'Stiffs'--to bring him up to match fitness.
*
I , like every other supporter will be delighted to see his return. If city still have the same nucleus of players, then a push for Play-Offs, is a strong possibility.
*
Should City achieve back to back promotion--at our HOME GROUND WEMBLEY!!!!.
*
Then ALL OF CITY'S Players-- will become Championship Players.
Who will then be in a position, to command much higher salaries --Plus, much higher Transfer Fees ! ( NB ; - Wells & Co.?)
*
Freddy, he will do well to get a couple of games with the 'stiffs' as we no longer have a reserve team.
[quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: * He may need a couple of matches in the 'Stiffs'--to bring him up to match fitness. * I , like every other supporter will be delighted to see his return. If city still have the same nucleus of players, then a push for Play-Offs, is a strong possibility. * Should City achieve back to back promotion--at our HOME GROUND WEMBLEY!!!!. * Then ALL OF CITY'S Players-- will become Championship Players. Who will then be in a position, to command much higher salaries --Plus, much higher Transfer Fees ! ( NB ; - Wells & Co.?) *[/p][/quote]Freddy, he will do well to get a couple of games with the 'stiffs' as we no longer have a reserve team. Waynus1971

8:21am Thu 19 Dec 13

Plastic Bantam says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays.

It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out.

Good luck Andrew.
Who's Baker?
I think he means Bates.

Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.
Disagree. I think Bates looks good. He's comfortable on the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Don't get me wrong McArdle is a good defender, it just concerns me how easily he gets turned and doesn't seem to learn to step back half a yard to give himself a head start!!
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.[/p][/quote]Who's Baker?[/p][/quote]I think he means Bates. Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.[/p][/quote]Disagree. I think Bates looks good. He's comfortable on the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Don't get me wrong McArdle is a good defender, it just concerns me how easily he gets turned and doesn't seem to learn to step back half a yard to give himself a head start!! Plastic Bantam

4:30pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Michael Clayton says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
Papa Smurfs Wig wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.
Who's Baker?
I think he means Bates. Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.
Disagree. I think Bates looks good. He's comfortable on the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Don't get me wrong McArdle is a good defender, it just concerns me how easily he gets turned and doesn't seem to learn to step back half a yard to give himself a head start!!
Bates and McArdle have done as well as can be expected. Having said that, the first choice pairing is surely Davies and Oliver? They are a natural complement to each other.

However, Oliver's real strengths are only realised when he has Davies alongside him. Without Davies, It is rather like removing one half of a double act.
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.[/p][/quote]Who's Baker?[/p][/quote]I think he means Bates. Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.[/p][/quote]Disagree. I think Bates looks good. He's comfortable on the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Don't get me wrong McArdle is a good defender, it just concerns me how easily he gets turned and doesn't seem to learn to step back half a yard to give himself a head start!![/p][/quote]Bates and McArdle have done as well as can be expected. Having said that, the first choice pairing is surely Davies and Oliver? They are a natural complement to each other. However, Oliver's real strengths are only realised when he has Davies alongside him. Without Davies, It is rather like removing one half of a double act. Michael Clayton

9:15am Fri 20 Dec 13

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Plastic Bantam wrote:
Papa Smurfs Wig wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.
Who's Baker?
I think he means Bates. Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.
Disagree. I think Bates looks good. He's comfortable on the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Don't get me wrong McArdle is a good defender, it just concerns me how easily he gets turned and doesn't seem to learn to step back half a yard to give himself a head start!!
Bates and McArdle have done as well as can be expected. Having said that, the first choice pairing is surely Davies and Oliver? They are a natural complement to each other.

However, Oliver's real strengths are only realised when he has Davies alongside him. Without Davies, It is rather like removing one half of a double act.
I'd have gone with Davies and Oliver too but PP seems to favour McArdle, Oliver has risen so much in my estimation that I have been baulking at suggestions he should go out on loan, Id rather see him fit and back in our team.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: So who makes way then? Bakers short contract is up soon unless he stays. It just shows how good this lad it when we have only won once since he was out. Good luck Andrew.[/p][/quote]Who's Baker?[/p][/quote]I think he means Bates. Personally, I'd go with Davies and McArdle or (a fully fit) Oliver. Bates can leave for me when his contract expires and Davies returns. I'd also look to get Taylor or McHugh out too and as the latter can cover left-back, I'd be trying to get Taylor a move.[/p][/quote]Disagree. I think Bates looks good. He's comfortable on the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Don't get me wrong McArdle is a good defender, it just concerns me how easily he gets turned and doesn't seem to learn to step back half a yard to give himself a head start!![/p][/quote]Bates and McArdle have done as well as can be expected. Having said that, the first choice pairing is surely Davies and Oliver? They are a natural complement to each other. However, Oliver's real strengths are only realised when he has Davies alongside him. Without Davies, It is rather like removing one half of a double act.[/p][/quote]I'd have gone with Davies and Oliver too but PP seems to favour McArdle, Oliver has risen so much in my estimation that I have been baulking at suggestions he should go out on loan, Id rather see him fit and back in our team. Prisoner Cell Block A

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree