Bradford City job nearly had Russell Slade’s name on it

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: EYES FOR THE CITY JOB: Russell Slade takes in a game at Valley Parade around the time of his job interview, when he impressed Mark Lawn with his professionalism EYES FOR THE CITY JOB: Russell Slade takes in a game at Valley Parade around the time of his job interview, when he impressed Mark Lawn with his professionalism

Table-topping Russell Slade heads for City this weekend as it was revealed just how close he came to landing the Valley Parade hot-seat.

Slade’s Leyton Orient continue to lead the way in League One, holding off hot favourites Wolves with a haul of 43 points from 19 games.

Their visit kicks off a testing four-match run for the Bantams against sides who are all above them.

It will also be Slade’s first appearance at the club since he was pipped for the manager’s job in 2010.

Slade lost out in a head-to-head with Peter Taylor two months before landing his current role at Leyton Orient.

City joint-chairman Mark Lawn said: “We interviewed Russell with Peter Taylor and it really was touch and go between the pair of them. The man came with a dossier on every single one of our players. He came across as a very, very professional manager.

“We were really impressed. But we just went with Peter because of how many promotions he’d got with teams from that league.

“There but for the grace of God, we’d have had Russell Slade.”

Taylor’s reign at City never got off the ground and he left 13 months later. Slade is now the fifth longest-serving manager in England and Saturday will be his 200th Leyton Orient game in charge.

Lawn added: “Things didn’t work out the way we’d hoped with Peter but I think 90 per cent of people (at the time) thought we’d chosen right.

“But then Russell has had time down there. Not being rude to Leyt-on Orient but they’re not in the spotlight, they weren’t getting 13-14,000 home fans and you’re not being put under that pressure to do it straight away.

“It’s taken him three years. I don’t know whether the Bradford public would let that happen.”

Leyton Orient began the campaign in blistering fashion by winning the first eight games. But their impressive form stems from the end of last term.

They lost only two of their final 13 games to finish just outside the play-offs and set the tone for their current charge.

Lawn said: “It reminds me of the Bradford City promotion year in 1985. We’d gone on a good run towards the end of the season before and just carried it through.

“This is a tough league and every team seems to be going through a good run and then a bad one – apart from Leyton Orient.

“But they’ve got some good players. We went after Kevin Lisbie but he wouldn’t move north.

“We tried because Phil (Parkinson) had him down at Charlton but he just didn’t fancy coming up here.

“Some footballers do like to stay in the same area like that, so it does cut down your options sometimes.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:52am Thu 12 Dec 13

silverbantam says...

Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Another bad decision from our chairmen ! silverbantam

8:15am Thu 12 Dec 13

Nickloza says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Hindsight is a great thing..Get a life
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Hindsight is a great thing..Get a life Nickloza

8:21am Thu 12 Dec 13

whisky1 says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Give it a rest
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Give it a rest whisky1

8:23am Thu 12 Dec 13

Farsley Bantam says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Because we've had nothing but misery since and are now in a much worse position than before Taylor's time at the club?
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Because we've had nothing but misery since and are now in a much worse position than before Taylor's time at the club? Farsley Bantam

8:30am Thu 12 Dec 13

GenieBantam says...

Slade is obviously a decent manager..If he been appointed rather than Taylor then we probably won't have PP.

I personally wouldn't change the last 18 months for anything!!!

Cup run and all.

CTID!!
Slade is obviously a decent manager..If he been appointed rather than Taylor then we probably won't have PP. I personally wouldn't change the last 18 months for anything!!! Cup run and all. CTID!! GenieBantam

8:37am Thu 12 Dec 13

Cityman23 says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Surely it indicates that the short list had been narrowed down to TWO excellent candidates in Russell Slade and our own 'PP'?!! BOTH have gone on to have a lot of success so we have no reason to lament, what might have been!

The games coming up at home v Orient and Rotherham are likely to be of huge significance and I am counting on us taking at least 4 pts from these two matches. Two massive crowds with the ground packed to the gunnels and a lot of noise will make it a thrilling Christmas-festive period for Bantams fans.

Let's hope we're NOT crying into our mulled wine by Dec.27th!! Fingers crossed!!
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Surely it indicates that the short list had been narrowed down to TWO excellent candidates in Russell Slade and our own 'PP'?!! BOTH have gone on to have a lot of success so we have no reason to lament, what might have been! The games coming up at home v Orient and Rotherham are likely to be of huge significance and I am counting on us taking at least 4 pts from these two matches. Two massive crowds with the ground packed to the gunnels and a lot of noise will make it a thrilling Christmas-festive period for Bantams fans. Let's hope we're NOT crying into our mulled wine by Dec.27th!! Fingers crossed!! Cityman23

8:42am Thu 12 Dec 13

Freddy says...

*
Lord Webber--is a big " O's " fan. Following them by Helicopter to various grounds.
*
We may see him in the Stand next to our Chairmen?.
*
I did wonder if he is bank rolling Leyton Orient ?. He obviously has the finance. Perhaps if they make the Championship this Season--he will get involved financially?.
*.
* Lord Webber--is a big " O's " fan. Following them by Helicopter to various grounds. * We may see him in the Stand next to our Chairmen?. * I did wonder if he is bank rolling Leyton Orient ?. He obviously has the finance. Perhaps if they make the Championship this Season--he will get involved financially?. *. Freddy

8:49am Thu 12 Dec 13

Cityman23 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Surely it indicates that the short list had been narrowed down to TWO excellent candidates in Russell Slade and our own 'PP'?!! BOTH have gone on to have a lot of success so we have no reason to lament, what might have been!

The games coming up at home v Orient and Rotherham are likely to be of huge significance and I am counting on us taking at least 4 pts from these two matches. Two massive crowds with the ground packed to the gunnels and a lot of noise will make it a thrilling Christmas-festive period for Bantams fans.

Let's hope we're NOT crying into our mulled wine by Dec.27th!! Fingers crossed!!
OK...I admit it...I've been at the mulled wine early...which..proba
bly explains why I thought 'PP' and Slade were on the same shortlist. Well, remembering it was Slade and ..aghhhh...Taylor... is enough to make anyone reach for the 'vino collapso'!!
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Surely it indicates that the short list had been narrowed down to TWO excellent candidates in Russell Slade and our own 'PP'?!! BOTH have gone on to have a lot of success so we have no reason to lament, what might have been! The games coming up at home v Orient and Rotherham are likely to be of huge significance and I am counting on us taking at least 4 pts from these two matches. Two massive crowds with the ground packed to the gunnels and a lot of noise will make it a thrilling Christmas-festive period for Bantams fans. Let's hope we're NOT crying into our mulled wine by Dec.27th!! Fingers crossed!![/p][/quote]OK...I admit it...I've been at the mulled wine early...which..proba bly explains why I thought 'PP' and Slade were on the same shortlist. Well, remembering it was Slade and ..aghhhh...Taylor... is enough to make anyone reach for the 'vino collapso'!! Cityman23

9:48am Thu 12 Dec 13

What's my name says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
take it your a L**ds fan then
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]take it your a L**ds fan then What's my name

10:07am Thu 12 Dec 13

allannicho says...

Sounds like we need a "plan B" if that Manager does all his homework on
on our players!
Sounds like we need a "plan B" if that Manager does all his homework on on our players! allannicho

10:15am Thu 12 Dec 13

Peter300 says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Not at all.You don't know how events will unfold. Who is going to win the Premier League? Go on, tell me.
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Not at all.You don't know how events will unfold. Who is going to win the Premier League? Go on, tell me. Peter300

10:16am Thu 12 Dec 13

Peter300 says...

GenieBantam wrote:
Slade is obviously a decent manager..If he been appointed rather than Taylor then we probably won't have PP.

I personally wouldn't change the last 18 months for anything!!!

Cup run and all.

CTID!!
You never know how things will turn out.
[quote][p][bold]GenieBantam[/bold] wrote: Slade is obviously a decent manager..If he been appointed rather than Taylor then we probably won't have PP. I personally wouldn't change the last 18 months for anything!!! Cup run and all. CTID!![/p][/quote]You never know how things will turn out. Peter300

10:18am Thu 12 Dec 13

Peter300 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
Surely it indicates that the short list had been narrowed down to TWO excellent candidates in Russell Slade and our own 'PP'?!! BOTH have gone on to have a lot of success so we have no reason to lament, what might have been!

The games coming up at home v Orient and Rotherham are likely to be of huge significance and I am counting on us taking at least 4 pts from these two matches. Two massive crowds with the ground packed to the gunnels and a lot of noise will make it a thrilling Christmas-festive period for Bantams fans.

Let's hope we're NOT crying into our mulled wine by Dec.27th!! Fingers crossed!!
OK...I admit it...I've been at the mulled wine early...which..proba

bly explains why I thought 'PP' and Slade were on the same shortlist. Well, remembering it was Slade and ..aghhhh...Taylor... is enough to make anyone reach for the 'vino collapso'!!
You simply do not know - even without the mulled wine!
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]Surely it indicates that the short list had been narrowed down to TWO excellent candidates in Russell Slade and our own 'PP'?!! BOTH have gone on to have a lot of success so we have no reason to lament, what might have been! The games coming up at home v Orient and Rotherham are likely to be of huge significance and I am counting on us taking at least 4 pts from these two matches. Two massive crowds with the ground packed to the gunnels and a lot of noise will make it a thrilling Christmas-festive period for Bantams fans. Let's hope we're NOT crying into our mulled wine by Dec.27th!! Fingers crossed!![/p][/quote]OK...I admit it...I've been at the mulled wine early...which..proba bly explains why I thought 'PP' and Slade were on the same shortlist. Well, remembering it was Slade and ..aghhhh...Taylor... is enough to make anyone reach for the 'vino collapso'!![/p][/quote]You simply do not know - even without the mulled wine! Peter300

10:21am Thu 12 Dec 13

Peter300 says...

GenieBantam wrote:
Slade is obviously a decent manager..If he been appointed rather than Taylor then we probably won't have PP.

I personally wouldn't change the last 18 months for anything!!!

Cup run and all.

CTID!!
Russell would probably have been sacked. Remember Mr. Lawn had to give Phil a vote of confidence in April 2012 because people on this message board and elsewhere were demanding he was dismissed.
[quote][p][bold]GenieBantam[/bold] wrote: Slade is obviously a decent manager..If he been appointed rather than Taylor then we probably won't have PP. I personally wouldn't change the last 18 months for anything!!! Cup run and all. CTID!![/p][/quote]Russell would probably have been sacked. Remember Mr. Lawn had to give Phil a vote of confidence in April 2012 because people on this message board and elsewhere were demanding he was dismissed. Peter300

12:04pm Thu 12 Dec 13

silverbantam says...

Taylor nearly took City out of the Football League so how can anyone say he was a better appointment than Russell Slade ?
Taylor nearly took City out of the Football League so how can anyone say he was a better appointment than Russell Slade ? silverbantam

1:02pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Stevie-C says...

Well hindsight is all well & good but like Genie says, no-one would change the past 18 months. Everything happens for a reason, and who knows maybe he will end up our boss one day. Lets just enjoy the ride as it is! Looking forward to a good game on Saturday as our lads have had nearly 2 weeks rest
Well hindsight is all well & good but like Genie says, no-one would change the past 18 months. Everything happens for a reason, and who knows maybe he will end up our boss one day. Lets just enjoy the ride as it is! Looking forward to a good game on Saturday as our lads have had nearly 2 weeks rest Stevie-C

1:21pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Farsley Bantam says...

silverbantam wrote:
Taylor nearly took City out of the Football League so how can anyone say he was a better appointment than Russell Slade ?
Nobody is saying that Peter Taylor had great success here. He was a good appointment (on paper at least) and had had lots of success previously, it just didn't work out at VP.
When Russell Slade took over Leyton Orient (nearly 4 years ago) they were a Leauge One side. They still are a League One side so he's not exactly Pep Guardiola.
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Taylor nearly took City out of the Football League so how can anyone say he was a better appointment than Russell Slade ?[/p][/quote]Nobody is saying that Peter Taylor had great success here. He was a good appointment (on paper at least) and had had lots of success previously, it just didn't work out at VP. When Russell Slade took over Leyton Orient (nearly 4 years ago) they were a Leauge One side. They still are a League One side so he's not exactly Pep Guardiola. Farsley Bantam

1:48pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Nickloza says...

silverbantam wrote:
Taylor nearly took City out of the Football League so how can anyone say he was a better appointment than Russell Slade ?
Who said he was? Do you make it up as you go along?
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Taylor nearly took City out of the Football League so how can anyone say he was a better appointment than Russell Slade ?[/p][/quote]Who said he was? Do you make it up as you go along? Nickloza

1:57pm Thu 12 Dec 13

realcitygent says...

silverbantam wrote:
Another bad decision from our chairmen !
take it you dont get down to city much ,didnt here city fans complaining when taylor got job ,it just didnt work out ,who,s to say slade at the time could made it work, look at mccall time here that didnt work either ,these 2 chairmen have put so much time and money into the club ,and yet people like yourself always want to slag them off ,without these 2 we would not even have a club to support, ask yourself would you put your money into a club that was in bottom division ,also spend all your time down at the valley all for nothing, what do you think would happen if the chairmen decided to leave do you think there would be a hugh line of investers ,think not,we need you on board to tell them when they making mistakes everything will be great then
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: Another bad decision from our chairmen ![/p][/quote]take it you dont get down to city much ,didnt here city fans complaining when taylor got job ,it just didnt work out ,who,s to say slade at the time could made it work, look at mccall time here that didnt work either ,these 2 chairmen have put so much time and money into the club ,and yet people like yourself always want to slag them off ,without these 2 we would not even have a club to support, ask yourself would you put your money into a club that was in bottom division ,also spend all your time down at the valley all for nothing, what do you think would happen if the chairmen decided to leave do you think there would be a hugh line of investers ,think not,we need you on board to tell them when they making mistakes everything will be great then realcitygent

2:10pm Thu 12 Dec 13

mark hudson says...

Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January
Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January mark hudson

3:05pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Farsley Bantam says...

mark hudson wrote:
Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January
Thats all the proof I need. Looks like he's definitely off then!
[quote][p][bold]mark hudson[/bold] wrote: Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January[/p][/quote]Thats all the proof I need. Looks like he's definitely off then! Farsley Bantam

4:05pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
mark hudson wrote:
Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January
Thats all the proof I need. Looks like he's definitely off then!
Hahaha. Sarcy ;)
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark hudson[/bold] wrote: Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January[/p][/quote]Thats all the proof I need. Looks like he's definitely off then![/p][/quote]Hahaha. Sarcy ;) Prisoner Cell Block A

8:49pm Thu 12 Dec 13

jamiejoe says...

mark hudson wrote:
Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January
There's a blackboard at Spurs with Wells and lines of his runs and goals or over it ... Just at white hart lane!

And there's a cheese board at Ajax with Nakhi's and Parkinson's name on it ...

Let's hope that there's no smorgasbord in Copenhagan with Hanson and Reid pencilled in.
[quote][p][bold]mark hudson[/bold] wrote: Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January[/p][/quote]There's a blackboard at Spurs with Wells and lines of his runs and goals or over it ... Just at white hart lane! And there's a cheese board at Ajax with Nakhi's and Parkinson's name on it ... Let's hope that there's no smorgasbord in Copenhagan with Hanson and Reid pencilled in. jamiejoe

11:02am Fri 13 Dec 13

lawsonio123 says...

jamiejoe wrote:
mark hudson wrote:
Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January
There's a blackboard at Spurs with Wells and lines of his runs and goals or over it ... Just at white hart lane!

And there's a cheese board at Ajax with Nakhi's and Parkinson's name on it ...

Let's hope that there's no smorgasbord in Copenhagan with Hanson and Reid pencilled in.
Ha Jamiejoe I like it but tell me have you any knowledge of the Blackboard at Bradford Park Avenue with WELLS HANSON AND PARKYon
[quote][p][bold]jamiejoe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark hudson[/bold] wrote: Just left St James Park in Newcastle - in Alan Pardews office there is a whiteboard with a full player profile of Nahkl Wells. talk in the ground is they are preparing a serious bid in January[/p][/quote]There's a blackboard at Spurs with Wells and lines of his runs and goals or over it ... Just at white hart lane! And there's a cheese board at Ajax with Nakhi's and Parkinson's name on it ... Let's hope that there's no smorgasbord in Copenhagan with Hanson and Reid pencilled in.[/p][/quote]Ha Jamiejoe I like it but tell me have you any knowledge of the Blackboard at Bradford Park Avenue with WELLS HANSON AND PARKYon lawsonio123

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree