Matt Diskin gets nod to remain Bradford Bulls skipper

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: LEADER OF THE PACK: Matt Diskin will skipper the Bulls into battle for the 2014 Super League campaign for the third season running LEADER OF THE PACK: Matt Diskin will skipper the Bulls into battle for the 2014 Super League campaign for the third season running

Matt Diskin has spoken of his pride after retaining the Bulls’ captaincy for the 2014 campaign and vowed to help the club through its current crisis.

The 31-year-old hooker, who won four Super League titles during his long spell at Leeds, has served as joint-skipper alongside Heath L’Estrange during the past two seasons.

Following L’Estrange’s decision to move home to Australia, coach Francis Cummins has handed the captain’s responsibilities solely to Diskin.

Diskin joined Bradford from Leeds ahead of the 2011 campaign and signed a one-year contract extension earlier this year which keeps him at the club for what is expected to be his last season before retiring.

He said: “I’m very proud to continue as captain and be the leader of a group of people who are very grounded and humble in how they go about their work.

“There has never been a point in my eyes where it has been in doubt but I’m delighted to carry on in the role that has been bestowed on me.

“We’ve got some very talented young players coming through the ranks and part of my responsibility is helping to guide them along the way.

“Another part of my responsibility is leading the senior group, which me and the younger lads can tap into as we look to breed a really good work ethic to bring back success to the club and to the city.”

The appointment of Diskin comes against a backdrop of huge uncertainty surrounding the Bulls’ future as the club battles to make massive savings.

Diskin confirmed a number of proposals have been made to Cummins’ squad, including them taking a pay cut, and talks are ongoing with players’ union League 13.

It has also been confirmed that a number of cutbacks have been made in non-playing departments of the club.

Diskin, a prominent figure during the Bulls’ financial troubles in 2012, added: “We’ve been asked to take a wage cut and the players have debated that – but the club is in a predicament for reasons unbeknown to anybody else apart from the top level.

“We can’t control that. It’s not a fantastic situation to be in and it’s not great how things have been dealt with.

“We have been communicated with and we have been kept in the loop, which is appreciated, but it doesn’t change the situation and it’s pretty clear that we have to cut this money from somewhere.

“My role doesn’t change and it is the same as last year and the one before.

“You have to remain calm and composed and somehow convey the messages from the players to the board and back again.”

Cummins, who is expected to appoint a vice-captain, said: “We’ve got some really good leaders in Brett Kearney, Chev Walker, Garreth Carvell and Nick Scruton.

“But Disko is the one that really stands out. I’m not guaranteeing he will play every week but he’s the leader of this group and is a fantastic influence on the environment.”

* Bradford Bulls are collecting bedding and clothing to be distributed to a number of Bradford charities as part of its BELONG initiative, which aims to give something back to the community.

Items can be dropped off at the club shop until Thursday, December 19.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:30am Wed 11 Dec 13

bartsbull says...

The club would not be in this position if the RFL gave the club the same money as all the other clubs it would go a long way to solve the problem

Dont forget all the other teams received there allocated money plus the extra which the bulls did not received and some of those are very close to the position we are in with even more money in there budget

How can a governing body not support new owners instead of penalising them for trying to get a club back on its feet.

They are bending over backwards to keep London in the super league
Come on Red Hall back everyone on an even keel or just tell the new owners we will be playing in a Lower league next year instead of keeping
them hanging on
The club would not be in this position if the RFL gave the club the same money as all the other clubs it would go a long way to solve the problem Dont forget all the other teams received there allocated money plus the extra which the bulls did not received and some of those are very close to the position we are in with even more money in there budget How can a governing body not support new owners instead of penalising them for trying to get a club back on its feet. They are bending over backwards to keep London in the super league Come on Red Hall back everyone on an even keel or just tell the new owners we will be playing in a Lower league next year instead of keeping them hanging on bartsbull

7:50am Wed 11 Dec 13

Lythambull says...

I think it's encouraging that a week on from this news there hasn't been a mass exodus of players like some were fearing. Glad to see diskin is staying on ( in theory at least), he has a hat full of silverware and the experience to boot.
We won't get a penny from red hall because we already agreed to their terms.

Additionally, don't know why T&A took down ALL the posts from yesterday. I didn't see anything contentious and I've seem days where people have been much more forthright with one another.

Come on T&A, let everyone have their say
I think it's encouraging that a week on from this news there hasn't been a mass exodus of players like some were fearing. Glad to see diskin is staying on ( in theory at least), he has a hat full of silverware and the experience to boot. We won't get a penny from red hall because we already agreed to their terms. Additionally, don't know why T&A took down ALL the posts from yesterday. I didn't see anything contentious and I've seem days where people have been much more forthright with one another. Come on T&A, let everyone have their say Lythambull

7:57am Wed 11 Dec 13

raisemeup says...

bartsbull wrote:
The club would not be in this position if the RFL gave the club the same money as all the other clubs it would go a long way to solve the problem

Dont forget all the other teams received there allocated money plus the extra which the bulls did not received and some of those are very close to the position we are in with even more money in there budget

How can a governing body not support new owners instead of penalising them for trying to get a club back on its feet.

They are bending over backwards to keep London in the super league
Come on Red Hall back everyone on an even keel or just tell the new owners we will be playing in a Lower league next year instead of keeping
them hanging on
Completely agree bartsbull, our situation has the feeling of 'Brassed Off' (the film) where we seem to be always fighting a loosing battle for no reasons other than we went into administration because the offers made for our Club were rejected. first hand, by the Governing Body. This does not appear to have been the case with other Clubs who have faced the same financial constraints. No fans have tried harder for the Club than the Bradford Fans. Giving money and time to the Club to see it carry on, but the apparent lack of support from those who could have helped more is as you say destructive to a new organisation. Perhaps Red Hall need a due diligence test.
[quote][p][bold]bartsbull[/bold] wrote: The club would not be in this position if the RFL gave the club the same money as all the other clubs it would go a long way to solve the problem Dont forget all the other teams received there allocated money plus the extra which the bulls did not received and some of those are very close to the position we are in with even more money in there budget How can a governing body not support new owners instead of penalising them for trying to get a club back on its feet. They are bending over backwards to keep London in the super league Come on Red Hall back everyone on an even keel or just tell the new owners we will be playing in a Lower league next year instead of keeping them hanging on[/p][/quote]Completely agree bartsbull, our situation has the feeling of 'Brassed Off' (the film) where we seem to be always fighting a loosing battle for no reasons other than we went into administration because the offers made for our Club were rejected. first hand, by the Governing Body. This does not appear to have been the case with other Clubs who have faced the same financial constraints. No fans have tried harder for the Club than the Bradford Fans. Giving money and time to the Club to see it carry on, but the apparent lack of support from those who could have helped more is as you say destructive to a new organisation. Perhaps Red Hall need a due diligence test. raisemeup

7:57am Wed 11 Dec 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

bartsbull wrote:
The club would not be in this position if the RFL gave the club the same money as all the other clubs it would go a long way to solve the problem

Dont forget all the other teams received there allocated money plus the extra which the bulls did not received and some of those are very close to the position we are in with even more money in there budget

How can a governing body not support new owners instead of penalising them for trying to get a club back on its feet.

They are bending over backwards to keep London in the super league
Come on Red Hall back everyone on an even keel or just tell the new owners we will be playing in a Lower league next year instead of keeping
them hanging on
The reduction of central funding was because the club spent over and above what it earned in the first place.
The club was indebt to the tune of £1.5m and this was after selling off the lease to it's ground for £1m.
£500k in pledges was swallowed up in a matter of weeks such was the lack of funds at the club.
When the club went into admin this £1.5m was written off and thats why central funding was reduced as a penalty. This however was known before a ball was kick but for some reason the new owners ignored it and with a £600k reduction in central funding the club went out and ran up debts of £1.2m (twice the central funding reduction) and found itself out of money by July/August to the extent staff couldn't be paid.
We now know £100k was wasted on a concert and even after a year of management cash flow forecasts show massive shortfalls in cash which have led to several redundancies.
So if it makes you feel better keep blaming central funding and the RFL. The truth is succesive owners have run the club into the ground and all the troubles faced are self inflicted by the owners spending more than they could afford. It's that simple.
[quote][p][bold]bartsbull[/bold] wrote: The club would not be in this position if the RFL gave the club the same money as all the other clubs it would go a long way to solve the problem Dont forget all the other teams received there allocated money plus the extra which the bulls did not received and some of those are very close to the position we are in with even more money in there budget How can a governing body not support new owners instead of penalising them for trying to get a club back on its feet. They are bending over backwards to keep London in the super league Come on Red Hall back everyone on an even keel or just tell the new owners we will be playing in a Lower league next year instead of keeping them hanging on[/p][/quote]The reduction of central funding was because the club spent over and above what it earned in the first place. The club was indebt to the tune of £1.5m and this was after selling off the lease to it's ground for £1m. £500k in pledges was swallowed up in a matter of weeks such was the lack of funds at the club. When the club went into admin this £1.5m was written off and thats why central funding was reduced as a penalty. This however was known before a ball was kick but for some reason the new owners ignored it and with a £600k reduction in central funding the club went out and ran up debts of £1.2m (twice the central funding reduction) and found itself out of money by July/August to the extent staff couldn't be paid. We now know £100k was wasted on a concert and even after a year of management cash flow forecasts show massive shortfalls in cash which have led to several redundancies. So if it makes you feel better keep blaming central funding and the RFL. The truth is succesive owners have run the club into the ground and all the troubles faced are self inflicted by the owners spending more than they could afford. It's that simple. Thee Voice of Reason

8:12am Wed 11 Dec 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Wonderful.
You tell history the way it was written and you get voted down for it.
You make out that with the central funding everything would be rosey and everyone votes your comments up even though the debt is twice what has been reduced.
Some people still don't get it, do they?
Wonderful. You tell history the way it was written and you get voted down for it. You make out that with the central funding everything would be rosey and everyone votes your comments up even though the debt is twice what has been reduced. Some people still don't get it, do they? Thee Voice of Reason

8:14am Wed 11 Dec 13

raisemeup says...

The penalty was shared out between other Super League Clubs, and as was stated by the previous regime, it would have made more sense to support the game development as a whole, not just our competitors. We needed to stay in Super League to stabilise our Club and survive, the costs of running Odsal at that time would have negated any other way forward. One must remember, whilst we do not own our own ground, the costs of maintenance still appears to be with the tenant and not the landlord, or perhaps you could tell me different.
The penalty was shared out between other Super League Clubs, and as was stated by the previous regime, it would have made more sense to support the game development as a whole, not just our competitors. We needed to stay in Super League to stabilise our Club and survive, the costs of running Odsal at that time would have negated any other way forward. One must remember, whilst we do not own our own ground, the costs of maintenance still appears to be with the tenant and not the landlord, or perhaps you could tell me different. raisemeup

8:21am Wed 11 Dec 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

You can't keep on spending more than you receive. Thats the bottomline. Why was Carvell signed if a £400k shortfall was know.
I know you want someone else to blame but the blame is closer to home.
You can't keep on spending more than you receive. Thats the bottomline. Why was Carvell signed if a £400k shortfall was know. I know you want someone else to blame but the blame is closer to home. Thee Voice of Reason

8:22am Wed 11 Dec 13

Solomon Grundy says...

The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever!
The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever! Solomon Grundy

8:39am Wed 11 Dec 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Solomon Grundy wrote:
The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever!
So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.
[quote][p][bold]Solomon Grundy[/bold] wrote: The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever![/p][/quote]So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment. Thee Voice of Reason

8:40am Wed 11 Dec 13

Alhaurinrhino says...

Thanks for the dosh losers.
We at Leeds enjoyed adding it to our already swollen coffers.

Sweet ;)
Thanks for the dosh losers. We at Leeds enjoyed adding it to our already swollen coffers. Sweet ;) Alhaurinrhino

9:14am Wed 11 Dec 13

fedupwiththeBS says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:
The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever!
So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.
TVOR,
if the Club had been selling these rose tinted specs it would not be in this mess!

There are people on here that are always going to blame everyone but the board as they do not want to admit that what people were trying to tell them since last May was the truth.

the top three false beliefs on here are:
1. OK was the only game in town to save the club.
2. RFL deliberately withheld the Sky monies
3. the current board had enough money to take over the club.

We have no money, no investors lined up, players that have just refused to take a 10% pay cut, staff being made redundant to be replaced with volunteers (unfair dismissal claims to follow), a Chairman in Mark Moore who has admitted publicly that he does not even like rugby and a CEO who has not produced anything since he arrived at the club but is taking a wage that could be spent on the office staff or another player.

we are now back on the verge of going into administration.

I wish the Sky money was the only issue the club had but it clearly not.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solomon Grundy[/bold] wrote: The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever![/p][/quote]So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.[/p][/quote]TVOR, if the Club had been selling these rose tinted specs it would not be in this mess! There are people on here that are always going to blame everyone but the board as they do not want to admit that what people were trying to tell them since last May was the truth. the top three false beliefs on here are: 1. OK was the only game in town to save the club. 2. RFL deliberately withheld the Sky monies 3. the current board had enough money to take over the club. We have no money, no investors lined up, players that have just refused to take a 10% pay cut, staff being made redundant to be replaced with volunteers (unfair dismissal claims to follow), a Chairman in Mark Moore who has admitted publicly that he does not even like rugby and a CEO who has not produced anything since he arrived at the club but is taking a wage that could be spent on the office staff or another player. we are now back on the verge of going into administration. I wish the Sky money was the only issue the club had but it clearly not. fedupwiththeBS

9:43am Wed 11 Dec 13

rogerthat! says...

fedupwiththeBS wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:
The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever!
So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.
TVOR,
if the Club had been selling these rose tinted specs it would not be in this mess!

There are people on here that are always going to blame everyone but the board as they do not want to admit that what people were trying to tell them since last May was the truth.

the top three false beliefs on here are:
1. OK was the only game in town to save the club.
2. RFL deliberately withheld the Sky monies
3. the current board had enough money to take over the club.

We have no money, no investors lined up, players that have just refused to take a 10% pay cut, staff being made redundant to be replaced with volunteers (unfair dismissal claims to follow), a Chairman in Mark Moore who has admitted publicly that he does not even like rugby and a CEO who has not produced anything since he arrived at the club but is taking a wage that could be spent on the office staff or another player.

we are now back on the verge of going into administration.

I wish the Sky money was the only issue the club had but it clearly not.
Agree with this summary. The situation the Club finds itself is Self Inflicted.
The Board of Directors past and present splashed the cash on mediocre players in the pursuit of success. Do NOT NOW BLAME PLAYERS! Look at the fools who gave the money away. The Directors.
A REALITY CHECK NEEDS TO BE TAKEN at the Club by the Decision makers.
[quote][p][bold]fedupwiththeBS[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solomon Grundy[/bold] wrote: The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever![/p][/quote]So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.[/p][/quote]TVOR, if the Club had been selling these rose tinted specs it would not be in this mess! There are people on here that are always going to blame everyone but the board as they do not want to admit that what people were trying to tell them since last May was the truth. the top three false beliefs on here are: 1. OK was the only game in town to save the club. 2. RFL deliberately withheld the Sky monies 3. the current board had enough money to take over the club. We have no money, no investors lined up, players that have just refused to take a 10% pay cut, staff being made redundant to be replaced with volunteers (unfair dismissal claims to follow), a Chairman in Mark Moore who has admitted publicly that he does not even like rugby and a CEO who has not produced anything since he arrived at the club but is taking a wage that could be spent on the office staff or another player. we are now back on the verge of going into administration. I wish the Sky money was the only issue the club had but it clearly not.[/p][/quote]Agree with this summary. The situation the Club finds itself is Self Inflicted. The Board of Directors past and present splashed the cash on mediocre players in the pursuit of success. Do NOT NOW BLAME PLAYERS! Look at the fools who gave the money away. The Directors. A REALITY CHECK NEEDS TO BE TAKEN at the Club by the Decision makers. rogerthat!

9:57am Wed 11 Dec 13

Parz says...

Lythambull wrote:
I think it's encouraging that a week on from this news there hasn't been a mass exodus of players like some were fearing. Glad to see diskin is staying on ( in theory at least), he has a hat full of silverware and the experience to boot. We won't get a penny from red hall because we already agreed to their terms. Additionally, don't know why T&A took down ALL the posts from yesterday. I didn't see anything contentious and I've seem days where people have been much more forthright with one another. Come on T&A, let everyone have their say
I have to say I'm not Diskin's biggest fan. I thought last year he was too slow, and was genuinely relieved when Heath used to come on. And can someone please tell him that if he runs into someone that's offside, rather than an offside person tackling him, it's NOT a penalty. But anyway, lets hope that it turns out I'm talking rubbish and he has a much better season. I do think he's the right choice for Captain though, like you said, bag full of silverware and experience.
[quote][p][bold]Lythambull[/bold] wrote: I think it's encouraging that a week on from this news there hasn't been a mass exodus of players like some were fearing. Glad to see diskin is staying on ( in theory at least), he has a hat full of silverware and the experience to boot. We won't get a penny from red hall because we already agreed to their terms. Additionally, don't know why T&A took down ALL the posts from yesterday. I didn't see anything contentious and I've seem days where people have been much more forthright with one another. Come on T&A, let everyone have their say[/p][/quote]I have to say I'm not Diskin's biggest fan. I thought last year he was too slow, and was genuinely relieved when Heath used to come on. And can someone please tell him that if he runs into someone that's offside, rather than an offside person tackling him, it's NOT a penalty. But anyway, lets hope that it turns out I'm talking rubbish and he has a much better season. I do think he's the right choice for Captain though, like you said, bag full of silverware and experience. Parz

12:58pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
You can't keep on spending more than you receive. Thats the bottomline. Why was Carvell signed if a £400k shortfall was know.
I know you want someone else to blame but the blame is closer to home.
You point out the obvious and get voted down. Have we got a host of people who think spending more than you have is the best way forward?
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: You can't keep on spending more than you receive. Thats the bottomline. Why was Carvell signed if a £400k shortfall was know. I know you want someone else to blame but the blame is closer to home.[/p][/quote]You point out the obvious and get voted down. Have we got a host of people who think spending more than you have is the best way forward? Thee Voice of Reason

1:01pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Bring Cordle back......... says...

I'm not so sure that running a professional sports team is as some people are suggesting!

Unfortunately without the buffer of external investment from a sugar daddy or high level sponsorship you ultimately are in the hands of financial forecasting and which way the wind blows!!

So last year the Bulls board crossed there fingers that The Bradford public would get behind a team they almost lost and would see crowds of 10,000. Well that was probably poor forecasting and over estimating the passion felt by the masses for the bulls. Even when the team put in some good displays and rose to third in the table it had no impact!

So what do you do when you have fixed costs across your club and no body wants to pay to watch? Go get sponsorship well they did that securing one of the biggest financial sponsors in super league! None sports based events well they tried but unfortunately failed! Bring back an iconic Bull in a key role to try and stir some nostalgic passion! So some good and some bad efforts from the old board compounded by the lack of cash injection from super league & massive cash flow issues generated by RFL fixture planning.

So my view is the last board probably lacked the core business skills fore such a venture but as I remember there wasn't a list of takers! The issue is the new board do appear to have a good combined business strength but may lack financial clout and are already £400,000 behind the eight ball.

But there will be the opinions on here that suggest the lack of central funding had no impact and the issues lie solely at the boards door. Personally I feel that the board, the lack of funding and most importantly the lack of paying supporters on the terraces in these cash strapped times leave us with ongoing financial issues.
I'm not so sure that running a professional sports team is as some people are suggesting! Unfortunately without the buffer of external investment from a sugar daddy or high level sponsorship you ultimately are in the hands of financial forecasting and which way the wind blows!! So last year the Bulls board crossed there fingers that The Bradford public would get behind a team they almost lost and would see crowds of 10,000. Well that was probably poor forecasting and over estimating the passion felt by the masses for the bulls. Even when the team put in some good displays and rose to third in the table it had no impact! So what do you do when you have fixed costs across your club and no body wants to pay to watch? Go get sponsorship well they did that securing one of the biggest financial sponsors in super league! None sports based events well they tried but unfortunately failed! Bring back an iconic Bull in a key role to try and stir some nostalgic passion! So some good and some bad efforts from the old board compounded by the lack of cash injection from super league & massive cash flow issues generated by RFL fixture planning. So my view is the last board probably lacked the core business skills fore such a venture but as I remember there wasn't a list of takers! The issue is the new board do appear to have a good combined business strength but may lack financial clout and are already £400,000 behind the eight ball. But there will be the opinions on here that suggest the lack of central funding had no impact and the issues lie solely at the boards door. Personally I feel that the board, the lack of funding and most importantly the lack of paying supporters on the terraces in these cash strapped times leave us with ongoing financial issues. Bring Cordle back.........

1:06pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Lythambull says...

Parz wrote:
Lythambull wrote: I think it's encouraging that a week on from this news there hasn't been a mass exodus of players like some were fearing. Glad to see diskin is staying on ( in theory at least), he has a hat full of silverware and the experience to boot. We won't get a penny from red hall because we already agreed to their terms. Additionally, don't know why T&A took down ALL the posts from yesterday. I didn't see anything contentious and I've seem days where people have been much more forthright with one another. Come on T&A, let everyone have their say
I have to say I'm not Diskin's biggest fan. I thought last year he was too slow, and was genuinely relieved when Heath used to come on. And can someone please tell him that if he runs into someone that's offside, rather than an offside person tackling him, it's NOT a penalty. But anyway, lets hope that it turns out I'm talking rubbish and he has a much better season. I do think he's the right choice for Captain though, like you said, bag full of silverware and experience.
Absolutely, he needs to loose the keg he drags round with him, but his spirit around the place is vital. Plus other teams don't like playing against him because whilst he tries running into offside markers a lot, our high quality officiators however do tend to credit him for it from time to time. I'd have preferred to keep Heath though, no doubt.
[quote][p][bold]Parz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lythambull[/bold] wrote: I think it's encouraging that a week on from this news there hasn't been a mass exodus of players like some were fearing. Glad to see diskin is staying on ( in theory at least), he has a hat full of silverware and the experience to boot. We won't get a penny from red hall because we already agreed to their terms. Additionally, don't know why T&A took down ALL the posts from yesterday. I didn't see anything contentious and I've seem days where people have been much more forthright with one another. Come on T&A, let everyone have their say[/p][/quote]I have to say I'm not Diskin's biggest fan. I thought last year he was too slow, and was genuinely relieved when Heath used to come on. And can someone please tell him that if he runs into someone that's offside, rather than an offside person tackling him, it's NOT a penalty. But anyway, lets hope that it turns out I'm talking rubbish and he has a much better season. I do think he's the right choice for Captain though, like you said, bag full of silverware and experience.[/p][/quote]Absolutely, he needs to loose the keg he drags round with him, but his spirit around the place is vital. Plus other teams don't like playing against him because whilst he tries running into offside markers a lot, our high quality officiators however do tend to credit him for it from time to time. I'd have preferred to keep Heath though, no doubt. Lythambull

1:32pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Loyalbull1981 says...

id prefer scruts as captain as plays more game time and think he deserves it after winning all the player of year awards last year, he leads by examlple anyway i.e. doesnt spout ought negative on twitter or use offensive language but suppose disco has the experience of captaincy and does have genuine passion for the bulls. good luck lads in 2014 COYB.
id prefer scruts as captain as plays more game time and think he deserves it after winning all the player of year awards last year, he leads by examlple anyway i.e. doesnt spout ought negative on twitter or use offensive language but suppose disco has the experience of captaincy and does have genuine passion for the bulls. good luck lads in 2014 COYB. Loyalbull1981

5:50pm Wed 11 Dec 13

bradfordbronco says...

The truth is it was a combination of the RFL withholding some of the monies and the boards lack of experience in running a sports club that has led to its problems.

All these problems would be swept under the carpet f the club had a sugar daddy like most of the other clubs. The problems the Bulls face are not unique to Bradford. They are just highlighted because we are living hand to mouth and have nobody to write the cheques to keep the cashflow running in the short term.

Omar did agree to accept a cut in waht the RFL was offering but he didn't really have a choice. The deal from the RFL was take over the club but we cant guarantee what league you are playing in or what funding you will receive. This effectively put every other potential investor off saving the club. Only Omar was prepared to take the risk and the club was saved in the short term. Think Omar did expect more passion from the the fans. He hoped for 10000 season tickets holders (way off the mark i doubt even leeds get that many) He overspent on the squad to try and attract more fans when what he should have done as TVOR states is put a squad together to fit the budget for two seasons then wait for the full money in 2015 to get a decent squad. Most supporters realised the situation and the hardcore of 6000 would still have turned up anyway.

As TVOR rightly points out. it was the old business run by Hood & co that went into administration with debts of £1.5m. I still think the RFL was wrong to punish any potential new owner by withholding central funding to one of its members. I'm surprised anyone took the club over which I think it was what Nigel Wood wanted. The way the RFL have behaved was detrimental to the whole competition if the Bulls had just spent £1.2m on players then they wouldn't have been competitive and would have weakened SL . The present problems may not have been averted but the withholding of this money has definitely escalated the problem.

What is the RFL's plan now. They have one club London with no players no ground and who have sold No season tickets and at this stage is incapable of fulfilling its 2014 fixtures They are however getting the full central funding plus £50,000 of the Bulls money. They have another club Bradford that they have withheld £500,000 from that has a squad ready to go and has sold 5,000 season tickets but is struggling to stay in business until the start of season because it needs to find £400,000. What is the paln if one of these 2 clubs or both or them don't start the season now the fixtures have been published?. Do they even have a plan?
The truth is it was a combination of the RFL withholding some of the monies and the boards lack of experience in running a sports club that has led to its problems. All these problems would be swept under the carpet f the club had a sugar daddy like most of the other clubs. The problems the Bulls face are not unique to Bradford. They are just highlighted because we are living hand to mouth and have nobody to write the cheques to keep the cashflow running in the short term. Omar did agree to accept a cut in waht the RFL was offering but he didn't really have a choice. The deal from the RFL was take over the club but we cant guarantee what league you are playing in or what funding you will receive. This effectively put every other potential investor off saving the club. Only Omar was prepared to take the risk and the club was saved in the short term. Think Omar did expect more passion from the the fans. He hoped for 10000 season tickets holders (way off the mark i doubt even leeds get that many) He overspent on the squad to try and attract more fans when what he should have done as TVOR states is put a squad together to fit the budget for two seasons then wait for the full money in 2015 to get a decent squad. Most supporters realised the situation and the hardcore of 6000 would still have turned up anyway. As TVOR rightly points out. it was the old business run by Hood & co that went into administration with debts of £1.5m. I still think the RFL was wrong to punish any potential new owner by withholding central funding to one of its members. I'm surprised anyone took the club over which I think it was what Nigel Wood wanted. The way the RFL have behaved was detrimental to the whole competition if the Bulls had just spent £1.2m on players then they wouldn't have been competitive and would have weakened SL . The present problems may not have been averted but the withholding of this money has definitely escalated the problem. What is the RFL's plan now. They have one club London with no players no ground and who have sold No season tickets and at this stage is incapable of fulfilling its 2014 fixtures They are however getting the full central funding plus £50,000 of the Bulls money. They have another club Bradford that they have withheld £500,000 from that has a squad ready to go and has sold 5,000 season tickets but is struggling to stay in business until the start of season because it needs to find £400,000. What is the paln if one of these 2 clubs or both or them don't start the season now the fixtures have been published?. Do they even have a plan? bradfordbronco

7:02pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Videoref says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
You can't keep on spending more than you receive. Thats the bottomline. Why was Carvell signed if a £400k shortfall was know.
I know you want someone else to blame but the blame is closer to home.
You point out the obvious and get voted down. Have we got a host of people who think spending more than you have is the best way forward?
Labour MPs for instance?
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: You can't keep on spending more than you receive. Thats the bottomline. Why was Carvell signed if a £400k shortfall was know. I know you want someone else to blame but the blame is closer to home.[/p][/quote]You point out the obvious and get voted down. Have we got a host of people who think spending more than you have is the best way forward?[/p][/quote]Labour MPs for instance? Videoref

10:12pm Wed 11 Dec 13

axelf1963 says...

WHERE IS VIKING ?

we're in the money
we got no players
what a joke of a club we really are
WHERE IS VIKING ? we're in the money we got no players what a joke of a club we really are axelf1963

10:36pm Wed 11 Dec 13

bradfordbronco says...

axelf1963 wrote:
WHERE IS VIKING ?

we're in the money
we got no players
what a joke of a club we really are
Problem is we've got no money and we've got too many players! What does it matter where Viking is? Unless you just want to start an argument which makes you the Joke. Sensible, well thought out & constructive comments are always welcome and worth reading, whether your supporting or criticising the club. Stupid cheap comments made by people unable to string sentences together are not welcome.
[quote][p][bold]axelf1963[/bold] wrote: WHERE IS VIKING ? we're in the money we got no players what a joke of a club we really are[/p][/quote]Problem is we've got no money and we've got too many players! What does it matter where Viking is? Unless you just want to start an argument which makes you the Joke. Sensible, well thought out & constructive comments are always welcome and worth reading, whether your supporting or criticising the club. Stupid cheap comments made by people unable to string sentences together are not welcome. bradfordbronco

11:59pm Wed 11 Dec 13

axelf1963 says...

Vikins said and I quote

WE'RE IN THE MONEY

I would just like him to apologise to me and TVOR among others for been wrong.
Vikins said and I quote WE'RE IN THE MONEY I would just like him to apologise to me and TVOR among others for been wrong. axelf1963

8:10am Thu 12 Dec 13

raisemeup says...

fedupwiththeBS wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:
The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever!
So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.
TVOR,
if the Club had been selling these rose tinted specs it would not be in this mess!

There are people on here that are always going to blame everyone but the board as they do not want to admit that what people were trying to tell them since last May was the truth.

the top three false beliefs on here are:
1. OK was the only game in town to save the club.
2. RFL deliberately withheld the Sky monies
3. the current board had enough money to take over the club.

We have no money, no investors lined up, players that have just refused to take a 10% pay cut, staff being made redundant to be replaced with volunteers (unfair dismissal claims to follow), a Chairman in Mark Moore who has admitted publicly that he does not even like rugby and a CEO who has not produced anything since he arrived at the club but is taking a wage that could be spent on the office staff or another player.

we are now back on the verge of going into administration.

I wish the Sky money was the only issue the club had but it clearly not.
So to make you all happy and so you can go around telling your mates you were right all along. The Bulls are no more and the gates are closed for the last time??? Obviously not true at this moment, otherwise we all would have been writing this in German, because your lack of spirit in many forms of crisis (not just yours, BS just using you as the example, sorry for that) would have been to give in without a fight for survival?
Rose tinted glasses are not an item we actually wear, even though many of the posters like to think that, we will keep on fighting to survive. But when people's livelihoods are at stake we need more support than some of the, shut up shop brigade give us!
[quote][p][bold]fedupwiththeBS[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solomon Grundy[/bold] wrote: The other clubs saw the chance to grab some cash and jumped at it. It's why the Bulls are in this spot and if the RFL was any good, which it isn't, they wouldn't be. Upward and onward Bulls forever![/p][/quote]So the Bulls plight is the fault of the other clubs. This is getting more ridiculous by the comment.[/p][/quote]TVOR, if the Club had been selling these rose tinted specs it would not be in this mess! There are people on here that are always going to blame everyone but the board as they do not want to admit that what people were trying to tell them since last May was the truth. the top three false beliefs on here are: 1. OK was the only game in town to save the club. 2. RFL deliberately withheld the Sky monies 3. the current board had enough money to take over the club. We have no money, no investors lined up, players that have just refused to take a 10% pay cut, staff being made redundant to be replaced with volunteers (unfair dismissal claims to follow), a Chairman in Mark Moore who has admitted publicly that he does not even like rugby and a CEO who has not produced anything since he arrived at the club but is taking a wage that could be spent on the office staff or another player. we are now back on the verge of going into administration. I wish the Sky money was the only issue the club had but it clearly not.[/p][/quote]So to make you all happy and so you can go around telling your mates you were right all along. The Bulls are no more and the gates are closed for the last time??? Obviously not true at this moment, otherwise we all would have been writing this in German, because your lack of spirit in many forms of crisis (not just yours, BS just using you as the example, sorry for that) would have been to give in without a fight for survival? Rose tinted glasses are not an item we actually wear, even though many of the posters like to think that, we will keep on fighting to survive. But when people's livelihoods are at stake we need more support than some of the, shut up shop brigade give us! raisemeup

8:34am Thu 12 Dec 13

raisemeup says...

Generally speaking the response from the posters is more constructive, with the readers giving a definite thumbs down to the naysayers (if that's the right word).
To TVOR give it a rest Mate..your figures are somewhat hazy to say the least, and are not relevant to the situation that is: You dwell on the past as if the present incumbents can do anything about it? History is only useful to learn from what went wrong and what went right. We are faced with a new regime at the Bulls who in no way were responsible for the past. We have to give them an opportunity to re build in the the future which always starts from the present moment. As for some of the negative and slightly vindictive posters who seem to want us to disappear completely, we can ignore them as not being helpful, to say the least. However to the cocoa pops kid (allorhino) can I say that Leeds did help us, last year and for you to say what you said was more damaging to your professed club, than to ours!
Generally speaking the response from the posters is more constructive, with the readers giving a definite thumbs down to the naysayers (if that's the right word). To TVOR give it a rest Mate..your figures are somewhat hazy to say the least, and are not relevant to the situation that is: You dwell on the past as if the present incumbents can do anything about it? History is only useful to learn from what went wrong and what went right. We are faced with a new regime at the Bulls who in no way were responsible for the past. We have to give them an opportunity to re build in the the future which always starts from the present moment. As for some of the negative and slightly vindictive posters who seem to want us to disappear completely, we can ignore them as not being helpful, to say the least. However to the cocoa pops kid (allorhino) can I say that Leeds did help us, last year and for you to say what you said was more damaging to your professed club, than to ours! raisemeup

6:19pm Thu 12 Dec 13

bradfordbronco says...

axelf1963 wrote:
Vikins said and I quote

WE'RE IN THE MONEY

I would just like him to apologise to me and TVOR among others for been wrong.
Exactly as i thought. This says more about you than anything i could add
[quote][p][bold]axelf1963[/bold] wrote: Vikins said and I quote WE'RE IN THE MONEY I would just like him to apologise to me and TVOR among others for been wrong.[/p][/quote]Exactly as i thought. This says more about you than anything i could add bradfordbronco

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree