Wibsey pair need hospital treatment as cup clash called off

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: IN THE WARS: Luke Helliwell, pictured, sustained a bruised cheekbone in an incident involving Thornhill’s Ben Kendall IN THE WARS: Luke Helliwell, pictured, sustained a bruised cheekbone in an incident involving Thornhill’s Ben Kendall

Wibsey Warriors will have to replay their Hamuel Reichenbacher Yorkshire Cup semi-final tie next week after Saturday’s encounter at Thornhill Trojans was abandoned after 34 minutes due to a head injury.

The score at the time was 12-4 in Thornhill’s favour.

Warriors playmaker scrum half Luke Helliwell was incapacitated in an incident that led to Trojans’ Ben Kendall receiving his marching orders.

An ambulance was required to administer treatment to the stricken player but due to a half-hour delay in it attending, referee Neil Pascall decided there was insufficient daylight to complete the game.

Wibsey full back Jimmy Waddington also had to attend hospital and had eight stitches inserted in a lip wound. Helliwell was later released home suffering from a severe headache and bruising to his cheekbone.

Queensbury earned the plaudits in the Presidents' Cup with a surprise 24-8 first-round win at Keighley thanks to Andy Walker (2), Aaron Moore and Billy Naylor reaching the whitewash – all converted by Scott Swann. Man of the match went to Sam Cheney.

Victoria Rangers made light work of visitors Hoyland Vikings with a punishing 60-8 success in the opening round of the Supplementary Cup.

The Vics ran in a total of 12 touchdowns, with hat-tricks from Luke Robinson and Rob Stones. Aiden Scully posted a brace, with solo efforts coming from Matt Withers, Liam Vaseley, Adam Hirst and Leo O’Conner. Scully also kicked six conversions.

West Bowling had to settle for an 18-18 draw on their visit to Halifax Irish in the Pennine League Premier Division basement dogfight.

West’s, who will regard the result as a valuable point gained, crossed the whitewash on four occasions thanks to Adam Reardon (2) and Jordan Laban (2), leaving Ben Heald to kick their only goal.

Bank Top Harriers trailed 18-0 at half-time on their visit to Drighlington but hope was rekindled with two quick converted tries on the restart to put the wind up the hosts but the revival did not materialise and they went down 42-12.

Wyke had high hopes of a Division One upset when they went in front 8-0 at West Leeds thanks to a Simon Owen try and two goals from Barry McSheera.

They ran out of steam in the second half though but had the final say with a Jimmy Wain touchdown under the uprights to lose out 24-12.

Aiden Lovett (3), Jonny Ward (2), Andy Gabriel, Aidan Whiting, Robert Priestley, Jared Priestley, Lee Birkett and Paul Bottomley made the chalk.

It was a double celebration for Queensbury, with the second team posting a 16-0 home win over Farnley Falcons in Division Three.

Brett Marriott crossed twice and added both conversions, together with a solo from Darren Brown.

In Division Four, West Bowling A had a 40-6 home win against Burley Lions.

Karl Robinson, Karl Spring, Glenn Barraclough, Jason Marshall and Scott Smith crossed with Max Trueman to the fore with two tries and six conversions.

The local Division Seven derby saw Odsal Sedbergh A rack up a 54-0 win at Wyke A.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree