11:26pm Wednesday 17th April 2013
Residents are outraged because builders working at the crack of dawn have been using jackhammers, diggers and power tools to demolish a listed wall.
People living in Cecil Road claim they were never consulted about work by contractors Groundwork Facilities Limited.
The builders are creating a new entrance onto private land and started at 7am on Saturday April 7.
They have worked every day since then and during the week they have been starting from 6am.
Lavina Bonar, 29, complained to the council about the noise and disruption caused but said she has been ignored.
She said: “It is outragous and we are absolutely up in arms about it.
“I didn’t sleep a wink all weekend and I can’t even open my curtains because they can look right into my bedroom from the portable buildings so I have no privacy.
“We have made dozens of calls to the council but they haven’t been giving us answers. To say I’m upset is putting it lightly.”
The contractors have also been accused of damaging public property by dropping the kerb.
Residents complained the builders have been burning plastic and timber causing air pollution in the area.
Maureen Alderton said because of the diggers, smoke and dust she has been unable to open her windows since the work started.
She said: “When the diggers are going my whole house shakes.
“I could be sitting in my back room and all I can hear is the cooker vibrating and I can’t even open my windows because of all the dust.
“When I called up the company to complain they told me that if I didn’t like it then I should move.”
Cecil Road residents added that the work slowed traffic on the road and the 20 to 30 men working failed to meet health and safety regulations.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group