All roads lead to Wembley for Bradford City

All roads lead to Wembley for Bradford City

The new Wembley signposts in Centenary Square

Two City supporters point the way to Wembley from Centenary Square

First published in Sport
Last updated
by

Bantams fans can find their way to Wembley for the Capital One Cup final, thanks to new signs in the city centre.

Residents awoke yesterday to find new signposts pointing in the direction of the stadium 199 miles away have been installed in New Market Place as cup fever sweeps the district.

The signs are from competition sponsors Capital One, who said fans will now “definitely know the way to Wembley” for the final on Sunday, February 24.

Tickets for the clash went on sale on Wednesday and Bradford City co-chairman last night said he believed City will sell all its 31,852 allocation.

“We believe the 31,000 tickets will all go. The whole city is behind the team who have done a magnificent job,” he said.

A Capital One spokesman said: “No one could have predicted a Swansea City-Bradford City final when the competition started in August, but with history making performances from both clubs it promises to be a fantastic climax to a wonderfully unpredictable competition.”

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:56am Mon 4 Feb 13

BigFigure says...

Is it me, or is the sign pointing more towards Leeds than Wembley?
Is it me, or is the sign pointing more towards Leeds than Wembley? BigFigure
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Mon 4 Feb 13

"get over it!" says...

I like the way the sign points to Bradford City Football club as well, incase you drink in the 2nd west!
I like the way the sign points to Bradford City Football club as well, incase you drink in the 2nd west! "get over it!"
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Mon 4 Feb 13

KnightMcCall says...

"get over it!" wrote:
I like the way the sign points to Bradford City Football club as well, incase you drink in the 2nd west!
Ha ha. Excellent.
[quote][p][bold]"get over it!"[/bold] wrote: I like the way the sign points to Bradford City Football club as well, incase you drink in the 2nd west![/p][/quote]Ha ha. Excellent. KnightMcCall
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Mon 4 Feb 13

theoutsider says...

Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em !
Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em ! theoutsider
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Thimblerigger says...

Obviously there are "plastic fans" in the council as well. Put up a sign for the Bradford City Bandwagon!
Obviously there are "plastic fans" in the council as well. Put up a sign for the Bradford City Bandwagon! Thimblerigger
  • Score: 0

1:14pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

theoutsider wrote:
Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em !
Have I missed something? What, other than the signs being outside of the Town Hall, has this to do with the Council?

The signs were provided by Capital One and were nothing to do with the Council. Their only involvement will have been making the organisers jump through hoops to get the 'planning' permission' for the sign's erection.
[quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em ![/p][/quote]Have I missed something? What, other than the signs being outside of the Town Hall, has this to do with the Council? The signs were provided by Capital One and were nothing to do with the Council. Their only involvement will have been making the organisers jump through hoops to get the 'planning' permission' for the sign's erection. Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

5:59pm Mon 4 Feb 13

nowt fresh says...

theoutsider wrote:
Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em !
Doesn't take them long to come out of the wood work,just hope no councilors are getting "freebies" just because they are Bradford councilors,as you say theoutsider "stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em !"
[quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em ![/p][/quote]Doesn't take them long to come out of the wood work,just hope no councilors are getting "freebies" just because they are Bradford councilors,as you say theoutsider "stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em !" nowt fresh
  • Score: 0

7:44pm Mon 4 Feb 13

KnightMcCall says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em !
Have I missed something? What, other than the signs being outside of the Town Hall, has this to do with the Council?

The signs were provided by Capital One and were nothing to do with the Council. Their only involvement will have been making the organisers jump through hoops to get the 'planning' permission' for the sign's erection.
One can summise that they didn't actually read the article Waynus; they just jumped straight in.

Well done Capital One; i like the signs.
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: Whats up with Bradford Council ? ...suddenly hanging out flags, posting signs, "our team this our team that". Bradford City have reached Wembley and indeed stayed in business despite Bratfud Carncil not because on em ![/p][/quote]Have I missed something? What, other than the signs being outside of the Town Hall, has this to do with the Council? The signs were provided by Capital One and were nothing to do with the Council. Their only involvement will have been making the organisers jump through hoops to get the 'planning' permission' for the sign's erection.[/p][/quote]One can summise that they didn't actually read the article Waynus; they just jumped straight in. Well done Capital One; i like the signs. KnightMcCall
  • Score: 0

9:32pm Mon 4 Feb 13

HHITYKE says...

I lived in Nashville Tennessee for a number of years. The city had a down town area a little like Bradford's . Closing businesses blighted areas. The council pushed for an NFL team by building a stadium downtown. The now have the Tennessee Titans playing there. The entire downtown area was revitalized. New retail shops, restaurants and other businesses relocated to the area and it has become a huge financial success for everyone. Why can't the council do the same in Bradford? A joint stadium with the Bulls would make sense under those circumstances. The council gets the revenue from the stadium plus the new businesses. Transportation to the games would be easy too. It beats a big hole in the ground...anyone have thoughts on this?
I lived in Nashville Tennessee for a number of years. The city had a down town area a little like Bradford's . Closing businesses blighted areas. The council pushed for an NFL team by building a stadium downtown. The now have the Tennessee Titans playing there. The entire downtown area was revitalized. New retail shops, restaurants and other businesses relocated to the area and it has become a huge financial success for everyone. Why can't the council do the same in Bradford? A joint stadium with the Bulls would make sense under those circumstances. The council gets the revenue from the stadium plus the new businesses. Transportation to the games would be easy too. It beats a big hole in the ground...anyone have thoughts on this? HHITYKE
  • Score: 0

9:23am Wed 6 Feb 13

PaddyBantam says...

HHITYKE wrote:
I lived in Nashville Tennessee for a number of years. The city had a down town area a little like Bradford's . Closing businesses blighted areas. The council pushed for an NFL team by building a stadium downtown. The now have the Tennessee Titans playing there. The entire downtown area was revitalized. New retail shops, restaurants and other businesses relocated to the area and it has become a huge financial success for everyone. Why can't the council do the same in Bradford? A joint stadium with the Bulls would make sense under those circumstances. The council gets the revenue from the stadium plus the new businesses. Transportation to the games would be easy too. It beats a big hole in the ground...anyone have thoughts on this?
This is Bradford England - nothing like that would ever happen here - you have been away to long and are obviously far to positive!!
[quote][p][bold]HHITYKE[/bold] wrote: I lived in Nashville Tennessee for a number of years. The city had a down town area a little like Bradford's . Closing businesses blighted areas. The council pushed for an NFL team by building a stadium downtown. The now have the Tennessee Titans playing there. The entire downtown area was revitalized. New retail shops, restaurants and other businesses relocated to the area and it has become a huge financial success for everyone. Why can't the council do the same in Bradford? A joint stadium with the Bulls would make sense under those circumstances. The council gets the revenue from the stadium plus the new businesses. Transportation to the games would be easy too. It beats a big hole in the ground...anyone have thoughts on this?[/p][/quote]This is Bradford England - nothing like that would ever happen here - you have been away to long and are obviously far to positive!! PaddyBantam
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree