Bradford City defender Rory McArdle caught between rock and hard place

City captain Gary Jones in action at Fleetwood

City captain Gary Jones in action at Fleetwood

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford City Reporter

Gary Jones is praying City do not lose their “rock” for Wembley.

Defender Rory McArdle left Fleetwood wearing a protective boot on Saturday after damaging ankle ligaments in the 2-2 draw.

While the club are still assessing the extent of the damage, the fear is that the player who has spent more minutes on the pitch than anyone this season could struggle to make the Capital One Cup final on February 24.

Skipper Jones admitted it would be a “massive blow” to lose McArdle from their plans.

“Fingers crossed it’s not too bad but Rory’s ankle was really swollen,” he said.

“It might be a few weeks but hopefully not because he’s been a rock. He’s come in with Andrew Davies and Luke Oliver missing and been one of the players of the season so far.

“Michael Nelson came in (the side) and I thought his partnership with Rory had done well. But we’ve got other players like Carl McHugh who can do a job there.”

Physio Matt Barrass checked on McArdle yesterday as well as Nahki Wells, who pulled his groin in a challenge with Fleetwood goalkeeper Scott Davies. But it is the Northern Ireland defender who is the major concern as the Swansea showpiece approaches.

City boss Phil Parkinson said: “It doesn’t look good when an ankle swells up quickly like that but we’ll know more once we’ve had another look.

“Injuries are going to happen. We’ve got to make sure we play with commitment and if somebody picks up an injury, that’s part and parcel of football.

“And I thought the lads did play with outstanding commitment.”

City came back from a goal down through a stunning free-kick from Wells – his 18th goal of the season. On-loan left back Ryan Dickson, who had come on to replace McArdle, then put them in front soon after the break.

But Fleetwood rescued a draw with a hotly-disputed penalty after James Hanson was adjudged to have handled.

Jones said: “I thought the penalty was really harsh. Dukey (Matt Duke) came out to get the ball and Hans had his hands up just to stop himself going over him.

“But the ball ricocheted up and hit him on the arm. Sometimes you get those, sometimes you don’t and we were unfortunate.

“It looked like we’d been away three weeks in the first half because we didn’t really get going. Then Nahki scored a great goal and I thought we completely dominated after that.

“It feels like a case of two points dropped but it’s a sign of a good team when you come back. We’ll take a draw into the game against (second-placed) Gillingham next week.”

Parkinson felt City’s display after the break warranted more – and was fuming with the penalty call.

“We put the onus on Fleetwood second half, stepped on them all over the pitch and played a lot better,” he said.

“But we got done by a very contentious decision by the ref and I’m really disappointed with that.”

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:15am Mon 4 Feb 13

fatbloke says...

My player of the season to date, hope he recovers.
My player of the season to date, hope he recovers. fatbloke
  • Score: 0

8:26am Mon 4 Feb 13

Harrogate Bantam says...

He must recover, he is a hard solid player out on the pitch. Plus he deserves to be at Wemberley. C'mon City!
He must recover, he is a hard solid player out on the pitch. Plus he deserves to be at Wemberley. C'mon City! Harrogate Bantam
  • Score: 0

8:29am Mon 4 Feb 13

Birky_Neil says...

Hope both players are ok and back soon. Gillingham will be tough without wells. Not really knocking any of parkys signings but why Andy Gray?
Look at Lee Hughes. He scored another 2 on Saturday. Feel like Gray will never score and seems to be a bench warmer. Think this might cost us this season in promotion. Not enough goals coming from elsewhere and we really on Wells too much.
Now he might be injured we look like a shy team up front with no danger man to score.
Hope both players are ok and back soon. Gillingham will be tough without wells. Not really knocking any of parkys signings but why Andy Gray? Look at Lee Hughes. He scored another 2 on Saturday. Feel like Gray will never score and seems to be a bench warmer. Think this might cost us this season in promotion. Not enough goals coming from elsewhere and we really on Wells too much. Now he might be injured we look like a shy team up front with no danger man to score. Birky_Neil
  • Score: 0

8:32am Mon 4 Feb 13

Birky_Neil says...

Ps meant to spell rely on Wells.
Ps meant to spell rely on Wells. Birky_Neil
  • Score: 0

8:53am Mon 4 Feb 13

dannbradfc says...

True about goals from elsewhere but thats the way Parky sets the team up. Its is a concern. Agree about Gray unless we get penalties i can't see him scoring many. I'd have like to have seen another forwrad brought in and an attacking midfielder. The latter would have been useful if our system isn't working and would give us that option.

Hope rory is okay as he fully deserves a wembley appearance.......
True about goals from elsewhere but thats the way Parky sets the team up. Its is a concern. Agree about Gray unless we get penalties i can't see him scoring many. I'd have like to have seen another forwrad brought in and an attacking midfielder. The latter would have been useful if our system isn't working and would give us that option. Hope rory is okay as he fully deserves a wembley appearance....... dannbradfc
  • Score: 0

8:55am Mon 4 Feb 13

tyker2 says...

when was the last time we scored from a direct free kick as wells did at Fleetwood?
when was the last time we scored from a direct free kick as wells did at Fleetwood? tyker2
  • Score: 0

9:08am Mon 4 Feb 13

shoatsy says...

Gary Jones scored 1 at home this season!
Gary Jones scored 1 at home this season! shoatsy
  • Score: 0

9:14am Mon 4 Feb 13

bettyswollocks says...

I'd rather not go up than have Lee Hughes play for us Scum like that should never be allowed to take a living from football.
I'd rather not go up than have Lee Hughes play for us Scum like that should never be allowed to take a living from football. bettyswollocks
  • Score: 0

9:24am Mon 4 Feb 13

Old Peculiar says...

bettyswollocks wrote:
I'd rather not go up than have Lee Hughes play for us Scum like that should never be allowed to take a living from football.
Same here, as much as I love BCFC, it would be a struggle to support any team that had Hughes in it.
He should be rotting in a cell.
[quote][p][bold]bettyswollocks[/bold] wrote: I'd rather not go up than have Lee Hughes play for us Scum like that should never be allowed to take a living from football.[/p][/quote]Same here, as much as I love BCFC, it would be a struggle to support any team that had Hughes in it. He should be rotting in a cell. Old Peculiar
  • Score: 0

9:30am Mon 4 Feb 13

Cityboy78 says...

Ive got a Notts County fan mate who posted on Facebook a few weeks ago, with photo, how he met his all time hero Lee Hughes whilst out boozing. He got some right stick, and just watching his interview post match on the FL show on sat turned my stomach. No thanks, but i see your point, he knows where the net is. Looking at our March fixtures of two games per week, if injuries and fatigue takes its toll, it could well be a season killer. Tough run in for our last three games too. Come on City.
Ive got a Notts County fan mate who posted on Facebook a few weeks ago, with photo, how he met his all time hero Lee Hughes whilst out boozing. He got some right stick, and just watching his interview post match on the FL show on sat turned my stomach. No thanks, but i see your point, he knows where the net is. Looking at our March fixtures of two games per week, if injuries and fatigue takes its toll, it could well be a season killer. Tough run in for our last three games too. Come on City. Cityboy78
  • Score: 0

9:39am Mon 4 Feb 13

Birky_Neil says...

I totally agree. He should never of been allowed to play football again after what he did. Should still be in prison in my eyes.
All I meant was we needed somebody like him to bang the goals in.
That's what get you promoted and I now know vale will go up this season but will we? Time will tell. If not next season we need to sign an attacking midfielder and another striker who knows where the back of the net is.
I totally agree. He should never of been allowed to play football again after what he did. Should still be in prison in my eyes. All I meant was we needed somebody like him to bang the goals in. That's what get you promoted and I now know vale will go up this season but will we? Time will tell. If not next season we need to sign an attacking midfielder and another striker who knows where the back of the net is. Birky_Neil
  • Score: 0

9:47am Mon 4 Feb 13

bahamianbantam says...

Before Cup Final we will know better how we stand for promotion. I do think we just have to enjoy Wembley as a remarkable memorable moment and perhaps abandon any promotion thoughts. We need at least 35 points for play offs (maybe 72) but that means 10 wins out of last 18 - virtually what we have now from 28.
PP seems to be obsessed with a defensive midfield and our "star" Reid relegated to bench. Unless we can win more away games - I think we are chasing shadows - and of course got to start winning at home. Can't see it myself.
2013 a massive year for BCFC but alas not promotion?
Before Cup Final we will know better how we stand for promotion. I do think we just have to enjoy Wembley as a remarkable memorable moment and perhaps abandon any promotion thoughts. We need at least 35 points for play offs (maybe 72) but that means 10 wins out of last 18 - virtually what we have now from 28. PP seems to be obsessed with a defensive midfield and our "star" Reid relegated to bench. Unless we can win more away games - I think we are chasing shadows - and of course got to start winning at home. Can't see it myself. 2013 a massive year for BCFC but alas not promotion? bahamianbantam
  • Score: 0

9:49am Mon 4 Feb 13

shoesmaker4 says...

on another note got to agree andy gray im not sure about either if honest very amazed we went in for him nothing against the chap but last time never pulled eny trees up i hope he proves us wrong come on city
on another note got to agree andy gray im not sure about either if honest very amazed we went in for him nothing against the chap but last time never pulled eny trees up i hope he proves us wrong come on city shoesmaker4
  • Score: 0

9:50am Mon 4 Feb 13

KnightMcCall says...

Old Peculiar wrote:
bettyswollocks wrote:
I'd rather not go up than have Lee Hughes play for us Scum like that should never be allowed to take a living from football.
Same here, as much as I love BCFC, it would be a struggle to support any team that had Hughes in it.
He should be rotting in a cell.
Would like to add my support to that comment.
[quote][p][bold]Old Peculiar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bettyswollocks[/bold] wrote: I'd rather not go up than have Lee Hughes play for us Scum like that should never be allowed to take a living from football.[/p][/quote]Same here, as much as I love BCFC, it would be a struggle to support any team that had Hughes in it. He should be rotting in a cell.[/p][/quote]Would like to add my support to that comment. KnightMcCall
  • Score: 0

10:06am Mon 4 Feb 13

shoesmaker4 says...

there again he he was playing at a higher level with us last time you just never no maybe this is why phill took a chance on him hope he does well to on the main point good look rory mcardle
there again he he was playing at a higher level with us last time you just never no maybe this is why phill took a chance on him hope he does well to on the main point good look rory mcardle shoesmaker4
  • Score: 0

10:36am Mon 4 Feb 13

Freddy says...

*
I hope Gray is being put through the very tough fitness training --that our excellent coaching staff achieved with the whole City Squad.
*
Davies is getting into running again. Also wondered why Ravenhill never plays ?.
*
But I wish McArdle a very speedy recovery.
*
* I hope Gray is being put through the very tough fitness training --that our excellent coaching staff achieved with the whole City Squad. * Davies is getting into running again. Also wondered why Ravenhill never plays ?. * But I wish McArdle a very speedy recovery. * Freddy
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

I'm not getting this animosity towards Hughes. The bloke drove his car when under the influence and killed a child. However, he was sent to prison for that crime and served his time. Now, whether the punishment fit the crime is a different matter altogether, but that isn't Hughes' fault. That's the system and our laws.

Many people on here supported Dean Windass and he was no better. Admittedly, he wrote his car off and didn't hit a child, but that was probably more luck than anything else. He still put himself in that situation...!

How many of you get behind a wheel on a Saturday/Sunday morning after being on a bender the night before? Most of you will have done as some point in your lives and the fact that he didn't wreck your cars or the families of a loved one, doesn't detract from the fact that you broke the law as soon as you got behind the wheel.

From a personal point of view, the sentence for manslaughter is not severe enough anyway, especially for crimes such as this. However, as I said above, why should Hughes continue to be punished for the inadequacies of our laws????

Yes, he ran away from the scene and yes, he has ruined the lives of that little child's family. However, none of us know how he feels, how he sleeps, whether the guilt eats away at him. He has stated publicly that he is remorseful for his actions. He didn't intentionally go to kill anyone, even though his actions are akin to wielding a gun in a public place.
I'm not getting this animosity towards Hughes. The bloke drove his car when under the influence and killed a child. However, he was sent to prison for that crime and served his time. Now, whether the punishment fit the crime is a different matter altogether, but that isn't Hughes' fault. That's the system and our laws. Many people on here supported Dean Windass and he was no better. Admittedly, he wrote his car off and didn't hit a child, but that was probably more luck than anything else. He still put himself in that situation...! How many of you get behind a wheel on a Saturday/Sunday morning after being on a bender the night before? Most of you will have done as some point in your lives and the fact that he didn't wreck your cars or the families of a loved one, doesn't detract from the fact that you broke the law as soon as you got behind the wheel. From a personal point of view, the sentence for manslaughter is not severe enough anyway, especially for crimes such as this. However, as I said above, why should Hughes continue to be punished for the inadequacies of our laws???? Yes, he ran away from the scene and yes, he has ruined the lives of that little child's family. However, none of us know how he feels, how he sleeps, whether the guilt eats away at him. He has stated publicly that he is remorseful for his actions. He didn't intentionally go to kill anyone, even though his actions are akin to wielding a gun in a public place. Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

2:03pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Babbsy says...

I agree with Waynus, although Hughes never killed any children - That was McCormick who was back in football for Oxford for the first time last weekend.

Lee Hughes regrets his actions. He's worked tirelessly for children's charities, he's served his time in prison. He's done everything he could possibly have done to try and put something back. He's served his time and he's not proud of what he did in any way at all. He has to live with his actions for the rest of his life, and that is punishment in itself.

What happened was awful, and two people lost their lives, but as Waynus said, people make mistakes / errors of judgement that cost lives all the time. Anybody who drink drives runs that risk, whether they do kill or not, it's teh risk they are taking when they get behind the wheel.

I'm not saying I'd welcome Hughes at Bradford with opening arms, but if he scored us the goals that got us into League One for next season that would do me - A purely 'professional' relationship.
I agree with Waynus, although Hughes never killed any children - That was McCormick who was back in football for Oxford for the first time last weekend. Lee Hughes regrets his actions. He's worked tirelessly for children's charities, he's served his time in prison. He's done everything he could possibly have done to try and put something back. He's served his time and he's not proud of what he did in any way at all. He has to live with his actions for the rest of his life, and that is punishment in itself. What happened was awful, and two people lost their lives, but as Waynus said, people make mistakes / errors of judgement that cost lives all the time. Anybody who drink drives runs that risk, whether they do kill or not, it's teh risk they are taking when they get behind the wheel. I'm not saying I'd welcome Hughes at Bradford with opening arms, but if he scored us the goals that got us into League One for next season that would do me - A purely 'professional' relationship. Babbsy
  • Score: 0

3:35pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Rambo says...

I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division.

Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds....

I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all.

At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.
I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there. Rambo
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Cityboy78 says...

Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really.

Oh, whats this......

http://www.guardian.
co.uk/football/2012/
may/25/lee-hughes-gu
ilty-common-assault

She made it up i reakon.
Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon. Cityboy78
  • Score: 0

3:54pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

dannbradfc wrote:
True about goals from elsewhere but thats the way Parky sets the team up. Its is a concern. Agree about Gray unless we get penalties i can't see him scoring many. I'd have like to have seen another forwrad brought in and an attacking midfielder. The latter would have been useful if our system isn't working and would give us that option.

Hope rory is okay as he fully deserves a wembley appearance.......
Which has been a concern of yours since pre-season has it not dann? Lack of goals from midfield/elsewhere.

I even countered that we would be ok, it appears your crystal ball was working better than mine.
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: True about goals from elsewhere but thats the way Parky sets the team up. Its is a concern. Agree about Gray unless we get penalties i can't see him scoring many. I'd have like to have seen another forwrad brought in and an attacking midfielder. The latter would have been useful if our system isn't working and would give us that option. Hope rory is okay as he fully deserves a wembley appearance.......[/p][/quote]Which has been a concern of yours since pre-season has it not dann? Lack of goals from midfield/elsewhere. I even countered that we would be ok, it appears your crystal ball was working better than mine. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

4:40pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Pablo says...

Rambo wrote:
I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division.

Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds....

I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all.

At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.
I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees.

Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again.

We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.
[quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working. Pablo
  • Score: 0

4:49pm Mon 4 Feb 13

audal says...

IT IS HUMAN NATURE(sic) men are thinking about a once in a life time Wembley appearance over another 4th div.slog. if i was a player in the bottom half of the league then i would point at the results and ask of my team mates why ? and then look at myself and say yes because this will be my last chance of glory. harsh maybe but in truth reality
IT IS HUMAN NATURE(sic) men are thinking about a once in a life time Wembley appearance over another 4th div.slog. if i was a player in the bottom half of the league then i would point at the results and ask of my team mates why ? and then look at myself and say yes because this will be my last chance of glory. harsh maybe but in truth reality audal
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

Cityboy78 wrote:
Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.
I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either.

It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?
[quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.[/p][/quote]I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....? Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

5:23pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

Pablo wrote:
Rambo wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.
I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.
Exciting wingers or frustrating ones????

Hines HAS been playing. He didn't play in Saturday because of the size and state of their pitch. Had we been at home, or playing in a decent surface, I'm sure he would have started instead of Thommo, with Atkinson on the left to give us some balance.

Now, if you are referring to Reid, when was the last time h actually excited???? Flatters to deceive and is, in my opinion, no better than Hines (or for that matter, Atkinson).
[quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.[/p][/quote]Exciting wingers or frustrating ones???? Hines HAS been playing. He didn't play in Saturday because of the size and state of their pitch. Had we been at home, or playing in a decent surface, I'm sure he would have started instead of Thommo, with Atkinson on the left to give us some balance. Now, if you are referring to Reid, when was the last time h actually excited???? Flatters to deceive and is, in my opinion, no better than Hines (or for that matter, Atkinson). Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Birky_Neil says...

On a different note has anybody seen the gazza video? If not click this link.
Such a shame. He needs to get a grip.
He needs help as this illness gonna kill him before the year is out.
http://www.thesun.co
.uk/sol/homepage/vid
eo/sun-exclusive/477
5890/Paul-Gascoignes
-shambolic-charity-a
ppearance.html
On a different note has anybody seen the gazza video? If not click this link. Such a shame. He needs to get a grip. He needs help as this illness gonna kill him before the year is out. http://www.thesun.co .uk/sol/homepage/vid eo/sun-exclusive/477 5890/Paul-Gascoignes -shambolic-charity-a ppearance.html Birky_Neil
  • Score: 0

5:56pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Pablo says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Rambo wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.
I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.
Exciting wingers or frustrating ones????

Hines HAS been playing. He didn't play in Saturday because of the size and state of their pitch. Had we been at home, or playing in a decent surface, I'm sure he would have started instead of Thommo, with Atkinson on the left to give us some balance.

Now, if you are referring to Reid, when was the last time h actually excited???? Flatters to deceive and is, in my opinion, no better than Hines (or for that matter, Atkinson).
Well, we're really in the mire then, waynus. PP's recruitment in the winger department appears to have resulted in failure, in your humble opinion.

Ask your mate Hanson what he thinks of Reid. Far more chances come Hanson's way when Reid's playing.

I wish people would stop referring to Atkinson as a winger. A winger he is most definitely not!

In your haste to respond, you've forgotten Turgott. Enthusiastic and runs at defences.

Now you can resume your duties as defence counsel for Lee Hughes.
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.[/p][/quote]Exciting wingers or frustrating ones???? Hines HAS been playing. He didn't play in Saturday because of the size and state of their pitch. Had we been at home, or playing in a decent surface, I'm sure he would have started instead of Thommo, with Atkinson on the left to give us some balance. Now, if you are referring to Reid, when was the last time h actually excited???? Flatters to deceive and is, in my opinion, no better than Hines (or for that matter, Atkinson).[/p][/quote]Well, we're really in the mire then, waynus. PP's recruitment in the winger department appears to have resulted in failure, in your humble opinion. Ask your mate Hanson what he thinks of Reid. Far more chances come Hanson's way when Reid's playing. I wish people would stop referring to Atkinson as a winger. A winger he is most definitely not! In your haste to respond, you've forgotten Turgott. Enthusiastic and runs at defences. Now you can resume your duties as defence counsel for Lee Hughes. Pablo
  • Score: 0

6:03pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Cityboy78 says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
Cityboy78 wrote:
Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.
I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either.

It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?
Well, the UK justice system has dealt with him as it saw fit so yeah, hes now fully punished and rehabilitated. Its just my personal standards and belief that everybody should be responsible for their own actions, therefore i do not admire the personal traits exhibited by yon. So the sight of him doing that rediculously stupid 90's style goal celebration when im celebrating a city goal would give me an immediate 'soft on'. Apologies for the sarcasm.
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.[/p][/quote]I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?[/p][/quote]Well, the UK justice system has dealt with him as it saw fit so yeah, hes now fully punished and rehabilitated. Its just my personal standards and belief that everybody should be responsible for their own actions, therefore i do not admire the personal traits exhibited by yon. So the sight of him doing that rediculously stupid 90's style goal celebration when im celebrating a city goal would give me an immediate 'soft on'. Apologies for the sarcasm. Cityboy78
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Mon 4 Feb 13

KnightMcCall says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
Cityboy78 wrote:
Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.
I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either.

It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?
You make valid arguments Waynus. I just don't think that he should be allowed to profit from sport when he has behaved deplorably. Not sure who an unemployed Lee Hughes benefits and it is a fair question; I do not however think that football (or Bradford City) need someone like him. Perhaps he could work solely for a charity of his choice rather than living the life of a wealthy footballer (and he is a wealthy footballer).
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.[/p][/quote]I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?[/p][/quote]You make valid arguments Waynus. I just don't think that he should be allowed to profit from sport when he has behaved deplorably. Not sure who an unemployed Lee Hughes benefits and it is a fair question; I do not however think that football (or Bradford City) need someone like him. Perhaps he could work solely for a charity of his choice rather than living the life of a wealthy footballer (and he is a wealthy footballer). KnightMcCall
  • Score: 0

5:23am Tue 5 Feb 13

Waydownsouth says...

Is there some good honest soul who will get me a ticket? I live in Qatarand am desperate to get to the match but there is no point me booking a flight without a ticket..andyjwaterho
use@yahoo.co.uk or andyskype15.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there some good honest soul who will get me a ticket? I live in Qatarand am desperate to get to the match but there is no point me booking a flight without a ticket..andyjwaterho use@yahoo.co.uk or andyskype15. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waydownsouth
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Tue 5 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

Cityboy78 wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Cityboy78 wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.
I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?
Well, the UK justice system has dealt with him as it saw fit so yeah, hes now fully punished and rehabilitated. Its just my personal standards and belief that everybody should be responsible for their own actions, therefore i do not admire the personal traits exhibited by yon. So the sight of him doing that rediculously stupid 90's style goal celebration when im celebrating a city goal would give me an immediate 'soft on'. Apologies for the sarcasm.
The one thing I will go back over is the recent trial, where he was found guilty of assault. With a criminal record already, how did he get off with not being sent back to prison? Had he done so, then nobody would have been able to sign him until he had served his term.

I got this original case wrong. He wasn't drink driving (proven anyway), but he was driving at excessively fast speeds and without due care and attention. His behaviour that day and his actions caused the death of another person.

My point being, I'm sure he wasn't the first and I'm **** sure he isn't the only person to do what he did. If we found out a remorseful Nahki (for example) had written off his car after doing similar (albeit nobody gets hurt), would we be just as eager to end his career?
[quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.[/p][/quote]I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?[/p][/quote]Well, the UK justice system has dealt with him as it saw fit so yeah, hes now fully punished and rehabilitated. Its just my personal standards and belief that everybody should be responsible for their own actions, therefore i do not admire the personal traits exhibited by yon. So the sight of him doing that rediculously stupid 90's style goal celebration when im celebrating a city goal would give me an immediate 'soft on'. Apologies for the sarcasm.[/p][/quote]The one thing I will go back over is the recent trial, where he was found guilty of assault. With a criminal record already, how did he get off with not being sent back to prison? Had he done so, then nobody would have been able to sign him until he had served his term. I got this original case wrong. He wasn't drink driving (proven anyway), but he was driving at excessively fast speeds and without due care and attention. His behaviour that day and his actions caused the death of another person. My point being, I'm sure he wasn't the first and I'm **** sure he isn't the only person to do what he did. If we found out a remorseful Nahki (for example) had written off his car after doing similar (albeit nobody gets hurt), would we be just as eager to end his career? Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Tue 5 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

Cityboy78 wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Cityboy78 wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.
I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?
Well, the UK justice system has dealt with him as it saw fit so yeah, hes now fully punished and rehabilitated. Its just my personal standards and belief that everybody should be responsible for their own actions, therefore i do not admire the personal traits exhibited by yon. So the sight of him doing that rediculously stupid 90's style goal celebration when im celebrating a city goal would give me an immediate 'soft on'. Apologies for the sarcasm.
As for his stupid dance, if he scored for us, I'd probably be too busy jumping up and down hysterically to notice how he celebrated...! LOL
[quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityboy78[/bold] wrote: Yeah, i suppose we have all driven with hangovers, which is pretty much the same as driving home after quote 'a post match drinking session', and if i quote 'ploughed my £100,000 sports car' into another car, im sure id leave the injured passengers to die a slow painful death and not call an ambulance. Hes alright really. Oh, whats this...... http://www.guardian. co.uk/football/2012/ may/25/lee-hughes-gu ilty-common-assault She made it up i reakon.[/p][/quote]I don't recall saying he is 'alright really', you sarcastic git. But where do you draw the line? When is the punishment served? What would you rather happened to him? Never play football again and become unemployed because nobody else wants to employ him either. It won't bring back those that he killed. It won't stop those around the family from crying every day. So, who will an unemployed Lee Hughes actually benefit.....?[/p][/quote]Well, the UK justice system has dealt with him as it saw fit so yeah, hes now fully punished and rehabilitated. Its just my personal standards and belief that everybody should be responsible for their own actions, therefore i do not admire the personal traits exhibited by yon. So the sight of him doing that rediculously stupid 90's style goal celebration when im celebrating a city goal would give me an immediate 'soft on'. Apologies for the sarcasm.[/p][/quote]As for his stupid dance, if he scored for us, I'd probably be too busy jumping up and down hysterically to notice how he celebrated...! LOL Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

4:23pm Tue 5 Feb 13

Waynus1971 says...

Pablo wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Rambo wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.
I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.
Exciting wingers or frustrating ones???? Hines HAS been playing. He didn't play in Saturday because of the size and state of their pitch. Had we been at home, or playing in a decent surface, I'm sure he would have started instead of Thommo, with Atkinson on the left to give us some balance. Now, if you are referring to Reid, when was the last time h actually excited???? Flatters to deceive and is, in my opinion, no better than Hines (or for that matter, Atkinson).
Well, we're really in the mire then, waynus. PP's recruitment in the winger department appears to have resulted in failure, in your humble opinion. Ask your mate Hanson what he thinks of Reid. Far more chances come Hanson's way when Reid's playing. I wish people would stop referring to Atkinson as a winger. A winger he is most definitely not! In your haste to respond, you've forgotten Turgott. Enthusiastic and runs at defences. Now you can resume your duties as defence counsel for Lee Hughes.
Defence duties completed, now back to your blinkered view...!

You say it is my opinion. WRONG. It is PP's opinion and that is the one that matters. We can all have our views, but PP clearly believes Hines offers more to us than Reid (or Turgott). And no, I didn't forget him in my haste.

the fact is, when we play with two out and out wingers, this leaves too much for Doyle & Jones to do. As such, PP has opted (successfully most of the time) to play one winger and an attacking midfielder as well.

In some games, he has gone for Thompson on one flank and an out-and-out winger on the other. You could argue that Thompson is a winger, but, like Atkinson, he isn't going to take on the full-back and get in many crosses. When Thompson doesn't play, PP prefers to play Atkinson out wide with a winger on the otjer flank. That's just the way we set up. We won't score lots of goals, but it does mean we keep it tighter.

From this season's games (even before Reid's injury, but certainly since his recovery), the best 4 across the middle has been; Hines, Jones, Doyle & Atkinson.

You clearly like Reid, whereas I prefer Hines (and when unavailable, Turgott). However, if Hines/Turgott are not selected, I'd rather Reid & Thompson.

As for 'my mate hanson', what exactly does that mean? He's no mate of mine and I have never spoken to him, so why would I want to ask him which winger he prefers to play with!!!!

One final question for you. Did you manage to get to Fleetwood on Saturday? If you had, you will have noticed that when Reid came on, he provided the massive amount of ZERO chances for our strikers...!
[quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: I remember saying on the Facebook page I'd love to have Hughes here in football terms. He guarantees goals, and with him and Pope Port Vale will do what we've been trying and failing for the last 5 years and actually get out of this wretched division. Like most of you, I'm fed up of this tinpot leagues with games dominated with useless referees, teams that intentionally come to play anti-football,time waste and ruin games, the fact we suffer so much financially, the fact we constantly give other teams big pay days by turning up in our thousands at their grounds.... I genuinely don't care who or how gets us out of this division once and for all. At the moment I don't see how we can push on into the top 3 or 7. We need to put some serious form together to make up the gap. And I don't agree it was a good point - thats some 5 away games in a row we lost a losing position or battered a team only to get nothing. These draws/losses must change into wins as its only the pre-xmas home form that is keeping us up there.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with your comments re this tinpot league and it's inept referees. Like you, however, I can't see us making the play offs. The Cup Final is going to be a big distraction, regardless how much the players try and put it to the back of their minds. Then afterwards they have to face the anti climax of the bread and butter of fourth division football again. We have exciting wingers in the squad but PP currently prefers the "narrow" option and league results would suggest that it's not working.[/p][/quote]Exciting wingers or frustrating ones???? Hines HAS been playing. He didn't play in Saturday because of the size and state of their pitch. Had we been at home, or playing in a decent surface, I'm sure he would have started instead of Thommo, with Atkinson on the left to give us some balance. Now, if you are referring to Reid, when was the last time h actually excited???? Flatters to deceive and is, in my opinion, no better than Hines (or for that matter, Atkinson).[/p][/quote]Well, we're really in the mire then, waynus. PP's recruitment in the winger department appears to have resulted in failure, in your humble opinion. Ask your mate Hanson what he thinks of Reid. Far more chances come Hanson's way when Reid's playing. I wish people would stop referring to Atkinson as a winger. A winger he is most definitely not! In your haste to respond, you've forgotten Turgott. Enthusiastic and runs at defences. Now you can resume your duties as defence counsel for Lee Hughes.[/p][/quote]Defence duties completed, now back to your blinkered view...! You say it is my opinion. WRONG. It is PP's opinion and that is the one that matters. We can all have our views, but PP clearly believes Hines offers more to us than Reid (or Turgott). And no, I didn't forget him in my haste. the fact is, when we play with two out and out wingers, this leaves too much for Doyle & Jones to do. As such, PP has opted (successfully most of the time) to play one winger and an attacking midfielder as well. In some games, he has gone for Thompson on one flank and an out-and-out winger on the other. You could argue that Thompson is a winger, but, like Atkinson, he isn't going to take on the full-back and get in many crosses. When Thompson doesn't play, PP prefers to play Atkinson out wide with a winger on the otjer flank. That's just the way we set up. We won't score lots of goals, but it does mean we keep it tighter. From this season's games (even before Reid's injury, but certainly since his recovery), the best 4 across the middle has been; Hines, Jones, Doyle & Atkinson. You clearly like Reid, whereas I prefer Hines (and when unavailable, Turgott). However, if Hines/Turgott are not selected, I'd rather Reid & Thompson. As for 'my mate hanson', what exactly does that mean? He's no mate of mine and I have never spoken to him, so why would I want to ask him which winger he prefers to play with!!!! One final question for you. Did you manage to get to Fleetwood on Saturday? If you had, you will have noticed that when Reid came on, he provided the massive amount of ZERO chances for our strikers...! Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

8:15pm Tue 5 Feb 13

mickyoi says...

Don't care what anyone says about Hughes I'd have had him here in a breath. He's scored again tonight and would have easy got us promoted with his goals. As for someone saying he should never have been allowed to play again, if a joiner or sparky did the same would they not be allowed to do their jobs again?? It's his job,trade and he's served his sentence.
Don't care what anyone says about Hughes I'd have had him here in a breath. He's scored again tonight and would have easy got us promoted with his goals. As for someone saying he should never have been allowed to play again, if a joiner or sparky did the same would they not be allowed to do their jobs again?? It's his job,trade and he's served his sentence. mickyoi
  • Score: 0

8:14am Wed 6 Feb 13

PaddyBantam says...

No doubt this comment will go down as well as Jimmy Saville at a kids party. But i would rather have had Hughes than Gray, as somebody said earlier he guarantees goals, and goals win matches. No excuse for what he did but in the eyes of the law he has paid his dues - i dont agree with this commit a crime and pay for it for the rest of your life, yes he destroyed a family, which is a tragedy and i feel for that family, i really do and yes he has been lucky enough to get back in to the game - he is earning a living and from what i hear he does a bit for charity, what more can he do, no doubt given the chance he would turn the clock back and it would never have happened, but it did.

Gray is a poor signing and an 18 month contract to boot and i would imagine he is on a decent wage too, think Hughes got another two the other night making four since signing for Vale, we will be lucky to get four from Gray before the end of the season. If we do go up i can't imagine Gray doing all that much there either. But, i hope i am wrong.

City need 7 points from the next 9 to stay in the hunt any less and i do believe play off or promotion, will not be this year, which is sad because we really did look earlier in the season that we would be real contenders, but with each point we drop sadly my confidence drops also, but, but but, i hope i'm wrong. The issue for me is goals and the lack of. The fact is love him or hate him Hughes has the potential to grab 10 before the end of the season.
No doubt this comment will go down as well as Jimmy Saville at a kids party. But i would rather have had Hughes than Gray, as somebody said earlier he guarantees goals, and goals win matches. No excuse for what he did but in the eyes of the law he has paid his dues - i dont agree with this commit a crime and pay for it for the rest of your life, yes he destroyed a family, which is a tragedy and i feel for that family, i really do and yes he has been lucky enough to get back in to the game - he is earning a living and from what i hear he does a bit for charity, what more can he do, no doubt given the chance he would turn the clock back and it would never have happened, but it did. Gray is a poor signing and an 18 month contract to boot and i would imagine he is on a decent wage too, think Hughes got another two the other night making four since signing for Vale, we will be lucky to get four from Gray before the end of the season. If we do go up i can't imagine Gray doing all that much there either. But, i hope i am wrong. City need 7 points from the next 9 to stay in the hunt any less and i do believe play off or promotion, will not be this year, which is sad because we really did look earlier in the season that we would be real contenders, but with each point we drop sadly my confidence drops also, but, but but, i hope i'm wrong. The issue for me is goals and the lack of. The fact is love him or hate him Hughes has the potential to grab 10 before the end of the season. PaddyBantam
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree