Surgery setback as Ben Evans ruled out for Bradford Bulls

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Loan recruit Ben Evans will miss the opening few months of the season after having surgery to rectify a hip problem Loan recruit Ben Evans will miss the opening few months of the season after having surgery to rectify a hip problem

Bulls coach Francis Cummins has been dealt a major blow after Warrington loanee Ben Evans was ruled out for the next four months.

The 20-year-old Wales forward joined the Bulls in November on a one-year loan deal but has been troubled by a hip problem which was only discovered following his arrival at Odsal.

Evans, who has yet to make a Super League appearance but played for Wales against England and France during the autumn international series, has had his pre-season completely disrupted because of the injury.

He underwent surgery on Thursday, rectifying a problem that is believed to have affected him for the past few years and could potentially have been career-ending had it gone undetected for much longer.

After assessment from Bradford’s medical staff, Evans was referred to a hip specialist and last week’s operation saw him have a piece of bone removed from the top of his femur.

He also had a tear to his hip cartilage repaired and the procedure has been hailed as a success, although he will be sidelined for the next 16 weeks.

Cummins had planned to use Evans in the front row – a department in which the Bulls are already light on numbers – and the Bradford coach will now intensify his efforts to bring in a short-term replacement.

“It’s disappointing for Ben and for the club because we had high hopes for him this season,” said Cummins.

“However, it’s a problem that needed putting right and he had quite a big operation on Thursday.

“The good news is that it went really well and we have to rehab’ him now and get him right for when he’s able to start playing again.”

It is understood that Warrington are spending up to the salary cap, and therefore Evans cannot return to his parent club, but Cummins is happy to keep him on board during his rehab’ process.

“Ben has been with us for two months and you don’t just turn your back on someone,” said the Bulls chief.

“It’s unfortunate what has happened but it’s about getting his body right for when he is fully recovered.

“Hopefully in a few months’ time we’ll get Ben back but in the meantime we may have to look at bringing in players on month-to-month loan deals.

“The make-up of our squad and the recruitment is an ongoing process and we’ll continue to scour the market.”

Cummins took in the friendly between Leigh and Wigan yesterday as his players underwent CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) screening at the Institute of Sport in Sheffield.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:55am Mon 7 Jan 13

MeccaBingo1 says...

Mumby was the best wrote:
MeccaBingo1 wrote:
VICTIMISATION wrote:
Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .
Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.
You know for sure that Warrington aren`t picking the bill up? Maybe they are, they just can`t take him back.
WE ARE PAYING HIS WAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!
[quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MeccaBingo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VICTIMISATION[/bold] wrote: Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .[/p][/quote]Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.[/p][/quote]You know for sure that Warrington aren`t picking the bill up? Maybe they are, they just can`t take him back.[/p][/quote]WE ARE PAYING HIS WAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! MeccaBingo1

10:03am Mon 7 Jan 13

outofexile says...

MeccaBingo1 wrote:
VICTIMISATION wrote:
Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .
Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.
Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century!

They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention!

I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year.

Dont half talk some rubbish on here.
[quote][p][bold]MeccaBingo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VICTIMISATION[/bold] wrote: Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .[/p][/quote]Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.[/p][/quote]Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century! They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention! I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year. Dont half talk some rubbish on here. outofexile

10:15am Mon 7 Jan 13

MeccaBingo1 says...

outofexile wrote:
MeccaBingo1 wrote:
VICTIMISATION wrote:
Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .
Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.
Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century!

They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention!

I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year.

Dont half talk some rubbish on here.
Players are let go with know problems. I WILL JUST REMIND YOU NICK SCRUTON KNOW WRIST PROBLEM!
[quote][p][bold]outofexile[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MeccaBingo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VICTIMISATION[/bold] wrote: Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .[/p][/quote]Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.[/p][/quote]Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century! They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention! I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year. Dont half talk some rubbish on here.[/p][/quote]Players are let go with know problems. I WILL JUST REMIND YOU NICK SCRUTON KNOW WRIST PROBLEM! MeccaBingo1

10:28am Mon 7 Jan 13

MeccaBingo1 says...

outofexile wrote:
MeccaBingo1 wrote:
VICTIMISATION wrote:
Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .
Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.
Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century!

They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention!

I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year.

Dont half talk some rubbish on here.
Mad because at the end of the day mate who you going to play prop?

Nas - YES
Sidlow- unknown Qty
Scruton - Will be injured before season starts
Evans - Out for 4 months min
Langley - Sicknote don't make me laugh
[quote][p][bold]outofexile[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MeccaBingo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VICTIMISATION[/bold] wrote: Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .[/p][/quote]Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.[/p][/quote]Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century! They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention! I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year. Dont half talk some rubbish on here.[/p][/quote]Mad because at the end of the day mate who you going to play prop? Nas - YES Sidlow- unknown Qty Scruton - Will be injured before season starts Evans - Out for 4 months min Langley - Sicknote don't make me laugh MeccaBingo1

10:49am Mon 7 Jan 13

outofexile says...

MeccaBingo1 wrote:
outofexile wrote:
MeccaBingo1 wrote:
VICTIMISATION wrote:
Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .
Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.
Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century!

They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention!

I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year.

Dont half talk some rubbish on here.
Mad because at the end of the day mate who you going to play prop?

Nas - YES
Sidlow- unknown Qty
Scruton - Will be injured before season starts
Evans - Out for 4 months min
Langley - Sicknote don't make me laugh
I understand the worry regarding props as we all do.

However I take exception to the notion that Warrington and TS have held back information on a career threatening injury to a player for a significant amount of time just so they do not have to pay his wage for this year.
[quote][p][bold]MeccaBingo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]outofexile[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MeccaBingo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VICTIMISATION[/bold] wrote: Tony smith looks to have played his trump card there. FC take note .[/p][/quote]Agree, TS must of know, cannot take him back because he has spent up to salary cap so we pick the bill up! FC and his team needs to wake up and learn quickly.[/p][/quote]Yeah Warrington and TS must have been planning this for years. Its the crime of the Century! They must have waited for this exact moment to bring it to his attention! I mean who cares about a possible career threatening injury when they can get rid of a bit part players wages for a year. Dont half talk some rubbish on here.[/p][/quote]Mad because at the end of the day mate who you going to play prop? Nas - YES Sidlow- unknown Qty Scruton - Will be injured before season starts Evans - Out for 4 months min Langley - Sicknote don't make me laugh[/p][/quote]I understand the worry regarding props as we all do. However I take exception to the notion that Warrington and TS have held back information on a career threatening injury to a player for a significant amount of time just so they do not have to pay his wage for this year. outofexile

11:40am Mon 7 Jan 13

-HCK3R- says...

Surely Warrington must have known about this injury if it was career threatening....but it does make you wonder what type of research and medical the club goes into before signing players ....
Surely Warrington must have known about this injury if it was career threatening....but it does make you wonder what type of research and medical the club goes into before signing players .... -HCK3R-

12:05pm Mon 7 Jan 13

mines a pint says...

"TS & Wire knew about this before they allowed him to join Bulls on loan"

I doubt that very much as an employer they have a duty of care to their employees & by keeping such information from him they would be deliberately risking his long term health and well being a crime which could see all those party to it being prosecuted

I am sure there are options for Bulls to release this player due to "frustration of contract"

This is deemed to occur when illness or injury prevents an individual from fulfilling the majority of their contract which in turn has a detrimental effect on their employer

Whilst not commonplace this is used in industry & commerce to remove an employee who by their continued absence and / or inability to fulfil their contract they detrimentally effect the performance of their employee

This will certainly be the case at the Bulls as it is widely known we are short on props for 2013

The issue here would be what medical testing did the bulls do prior to agreeing the loan & should we have uncovered the problem Also need to consider what clause exists in the agreement to cover situations where the player is unable to fulfil his contract.

If he had picked up the injury as a result of playing for Bulls there would be no issue the Bulls would be 100% responsible for treatment & wages

As wire are up to the salary cap (never seemed to bother them before!) they can not simply take him back as under the salary cap the wages of an injured player still count

If we were to release him for frustration of contract it could see the player being left without a club for 2013 Bulls are not the type of club that would be party to that IMO & I believe TS has far more integrity than to see that happen

Not sure however what happens if Wire pay or contribute to his wages but he remains registered with Bulls

It is fairly clear we have not spent the salary cap so there is some cope possibly

In the end I suspect FC & TS have a good enough relationship to resolve this in the best interest of the player & both clubs. I also suspect the club has stronger legal support than it did under the previous regimes of Hood & Caisley before him
"TS & Wire knew about this before they allowed him to join Bulls on loan" I doubt that very much as an employer they have a duty of care to their employees & by keeping such information from him they would be deliberately risking his long term health and well being a crime which could see all those party to it being prosecuted I am sure there are options for Bulls to release this player due to "frustration of contract" This is deemed to occur when illness or injury prevents an individual from fulfilling the majority of their contract which in turn has a detrimental effect on their employer Whilst not commonplace this is used in industry & commerce to remove an employee who by their continued absence and / or inability to fulfil their contract they detrimentally effect the performance of their employee This will certainly be the case at the Bulls as it is widely known we are short on props for 2013 The issue here would be what medical testing did the bulls do prior to agreeing the loan & should we have uncovered the problem Also need to consider what clause exists in the agreement to cover situations where the player is unable to fulfil his contract. If he had picked up the injury as a result of playing for Bulls there would be no issue the Bulls would be 100% responsible for treatment & wages As wire are up to the salary cap (never seemed to bother them before!) they can not simply take him back as under the salary cap the wages of an injured player still count If we were to release him for frustration of contract it could see the player being left without a club for 2013 Bulls are not the type of club that would be party to that IMO & I believe TS has far more integrity than to see that happen Not sure however what happens if Wire pay or contribute to his wages but he remains registered with Bulls It is fairly clear we have not spent the salary cap so there is some cope possibly In the end I suspect FC & TS have a good enough relationship to resolve this in the best interest of the player & both clubs. I also suspect the club has stronger legal support than it did under the previous regimes of Hood & Caisley before him mines a pint

12:58pm Mon 7 Jan 13

modman61 says...

Another crock signing, here we go again.
Another crock signing, here we go again. modman61

1:51pm Mon 7 Jan 13

VICTIMISATION says...

I am sure that coming from the most successful team and set up in the competition FC knows what he is doing.
I am sure that coming from the most successful team and set up in the competition FC knows what he is doing. VICTIMISATION

3:06pm Mon 7 Jan 13

fraternise says...

mines a pint wrote:
"TS & Wire knew about this before they allowed him to join Bulls on loan"

I doubt that very much as an employer they have a duty of care to their employees & by keeping such information from him they would be deliberately risking his long term health and well being a crime which could see all those party to it being prosecuted

I am sure there are options for Bulls to release this player due to "frustration of contract"

This is deemed to occur when illness or injury prevents an individual from fulfilling the majority of their contract which in turn has a detrimental effect on their employer

Whilst not commonplace this is used in industry & commerce to remove an employee who by their continued absence and / or inability to fulfil their contract they detrimentally effect the performance of their employee

This will certainly be the case at the Bulls as it is widely known we are short on props for 2013

The issue here would be what medical testing did the bulls do prior to agreeing the loan & should we have uncovered the problem Also need to consider what clause exists in the agreement to cover situations where the player is unable to fulfil his contract.

If he had picked up the injury as a result of playing for Bulls there would be no issue the Bulls would be 100% responsible for treatment & wages

As wire are up to the salary cap (never seemed to bother them before!) they can not simply take him back as under the salary cap the wages of an injured player still count

If we were to release him for frustration of contract it could see the player being left without a club for 2013 Bulls are not the type of club that would be party to that IMO & I believe TS has far more integrity than to see that happen

Not sure however what happens if Wire pay or contribute to his wages but he remains registered with Bulls

It is fairly clear we have not spent the salary cap so there is some cope possibly

In the end I suspect FC & TS have a good enough relationship to resolve this in the best interest of the player & both clubs. I also suspect the club has stronger legal support than it did under the previous regimes of Hood & Caisley before him
That's a good post "Mines a pint".
Obviously you are right in everything you say.
The other posters are also feeling the frustration that will be felt by FC the player and the club!

But as you rightly point out there are variables we know nothing about?

For example who pays his contract whilst he is sidelined. I suspect he or the club will be insured? I also suspect Warrington will be helping the situation, otherwise why would FC have even mentioned that they were up to the cap, and therefore can't take him back. That's something he wouldn't have known if he or the legal people hadn't have asked the question and already established by now, is it?

But it doesn't actually solve our short term problem of being one prop light before the season begins..I suppose we have got to have faith that something will happen to alleviate the problem? whatever happens the fact is we can't do anything about it, except to wish the lad a speedy recovery, with the best possible outcome all round.
[quote][p][bold]mines a pint[/bold] wrote: "TS & Wire knew about this before they allowed him to join Bulls on loan" I doubt that very much as an employer they have a duty of care to their employees & by keeping such information from him they would be deliberately risking his long term health and well being a crime which could see all those party to it being prosecuted I am sure there are options for Bulls to release this player due to "frustration of contract" This is deemed to occur when illness or injury prevents an individual from fulfilling the majority of their contract which in turn has a detrimental effect on their employer Whilst not commonplace this is used in industry & commerce to remove an employee who by their continued absence and / or inability to fulfil their contract they detrimentally effect the performance of their employee This will certainly be the case at the Bulls as it is widely known we are short on props for 2013 The issue here would be what medical testing did the bulls do prior to agreeing the loan & should we have uncovered the problem Also need to consider what clause exists in the agreement to cover situations where the player is unable to fulfil his contract. If he had picked up the injury as a result of playing for Bulls there would be no issue the Bulls would be 100% responsible for treatment & wages As wire are up to the salary cap (never seemed to bother them before!) they can not simply take him back as under the salary cap the wages of an injured player still count If we were to release him for frustration of contract it could see the player being left without a club for 2013 Bulls are not the type of club that would be party to that IMO & I believe TS has far more integrity than to see that happen Not sure however what happens if Wire pay or contribute to his wages but he remains registered with Bulls It is fairly clear we have not spent the salary cap so there is some cope possibly In the end I suspect FC & TS have a good enough relationship to resolve this in the best interest of the player & both clubs. I also suspect the club has stronger legal support than it did under the previous regimes of Hood & Caisley before him[/p][/quote]That's a good post "Mines a pint". Obviously you are right in everything you say. The other posters are also feeling the frustration that will be felt by FC the player and the club! But as you rightly point out there are variables we know nothing about? For example who pays his contract whilst he is sidelined. I suspect he or the club will be insured? I also suspect Warrington will be helping the situation, otherwise why would FC have even mentioned that they were up to the cap, and therefore can't take him back. That's something he wouldn't have known if he or the legal people hadn't have asked the question and already established by now, is it? But it doesn't actually solve our short term problem of being one prop light before the season begins..I suppose we have got to have faith that something will happen to alleviate the problem? whatever happens the fact is we can't do anything about it, except to wish the lad a speedy recovery, with the best possible outcome all round. fraternise

4:14pm Mon 7 Jan 13

bullybullman says...

Good post fraternise - The key thing is to get a squad capable of playing at super league level from the off. We have Gale , Bateman & Evans all key player out of a very small squad. The situation is critical imo if we get off to a bad start it will set the platform for the season.

I hope FC is scouring the Championship & other SL acadamy prospects which im sure he is lets hope we can sign a few more players before the start of the season.
Good post fraternise - The key thing is to get a squad capable of playing at super league level from the off. We have Gale , Bateman & Evans all key player out of a very small squad. The situation is critical imo if we get off to a bad start it will set the platform for the season. I hope FC is scouring the Championship & other SL acadamy prospects which im sure he is lets hope we can sign a few more players before the start of the season. bullybullman

4:41pm Mon 7 Jan 13

istanbull-bantam says...

Great to see City doing so well this year after such a difficult time in recent years. Really hoping both they and the Bulls can get things back on track.

Ladies/Gentlemen, our city has been attacked in an article on Yahoo, "12 pcs of wages spent on work expenses", and is even said to be in the North East, by some ignoramus.

Please raise your voices against this bigoted fool whoever he/she may be.

Happy New Year to all.

A Bradfordian in China.
Great to see City doing so well this year after such a difficult time in recent years. Really hoping both they and the Bulls can get things back on track. Ladies/Gentlemen, our city has been attacked in an article on Yahoo, "12 pcs of wages spent on work expenses", and is even said to be in the North East, by some ignoramus. Please raise your voices against this bigoted fool whoever he/she may be. Happy New Year to all. A Bradfordian in China. istanbull-bantam

5:49pm Mon 7 Jan 13

nosher says...

When we signed this unknown young player, lots of people were complaining. Now he is injured our season is ruined lol. Shxt happens, get on with it coyb
When we signed this unknown young player, lots of people were complaining. Now he is injured our season is ruined lol. Shxt happens, get on with it coyb nosher

6:40pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Mumby was the best says...

nosher wrote:
When we signed this unknown young player, lots of people were complaining. Now he is injured our season is ruined lol. Shxt happens, get on with it coyb
Totally agree, well said.
[quote][p][bold]nosher[/bold] wrote: When we signed this unknown young player, lots of people were complaining. Now he is injured our season is ruined lol. Shxt happens, get on with it coyb[/p][/quote]Totally agree, well said. Mumby was the best

6:43pm Mon 7 Jan 13

JAtkinson says...

nosher wrote:
When we signed this unknown young player, lots of people were complaining. Now he is injured our season is ruined lol. Shxt happens, get on with it coyb
A T&A pessimist - "Things can't get any worse!"
T&A optimist - "Oh yes they can!"

:-)

What will be, will be - and I'll be at Odsal week in, week out, come what may.

COYB
[quote][p][bold]nosher[/bold] wrote: When we signed this unknown young player, lots of people were complaining. Now he is injured our season is ruined lol. Shxt happens, get on with it coyb[/p][/quote]A T&A pessimist - "Things can't get any worse!" T&A optimist - "Oh yes they can!" :-) What will be, will be - and I'll be at Odsal week in, week out, come what may. COYB JAtkinson

7:05pm Mon 7 Jan 13

VICTIMISATION says...

To many negative posters on here. As the above poster Nosher has put no one wanted this kid so it should be no problem losing him for a few months. He was only a squad player not 1st choice. Onwards and upwards.
To many negative posters on here. As the above poster Nosher has put no one wanted this kid so it should be no problem losing him for a few months. He was only a squad player not 1st choice. Onwards and upwards. VICTIMISATION

8:44pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Videoref says...

Crossley??
Crossley?? Videoref

1:40am Tue 8 Jan 13

TirNaNog says...

Liam McAvoy? D'oh!
Liam McAvoy? D'oh! TirNaNog

8:42am Tue 8 Jan 13

Steam Pigs says...

bullybullman wrote:
Good post fraternise - The key thing is to get a squad capable of playing at super league level from the off. We have Gale , Bateman & Evans all key player out of a very small squad. The situation is critical imo if we get off to a bad start it will set the platform for the season.

I hope FC is scouring the Championship & other SL acadamy prospects which im sure he is lets hope we can sign a few more players before the start of the season.
Key player?
Perspective needed, the guy has yet to make his SL debut!!
[quote][p][bold]bullybullman[/bold] wrote: Good post fraternise - The key thing is to get a squad capable of playing at super league level from the off. We have Gale , Bateman & Evans all key player out of a very small squad. The situation is critical imo if we get off to a bad start it will set the platform for the season. I hope FC is scouring the Championship & other SL acadamy prospects which im sure he is lets hope we can sign a few more players before the start of the season.[/p][/quote]Key player? Perspective needed, the guy has yet to make his SL debut!! Steam Pigs

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree