Bradford City sign keeper Pickford

Jordan Pickford clears from Aaron Mclean last season during his loan spell with Carlisle

Jordan Pickford clears from Aaron Mclean last season during his loan spell with Carlisle

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford City Reporter

SUNDERLAND goalkeeper Jordan Pickford has today joined City on a season-long loan.

The 20-year-old, a former team-mate of Billy Knott at the Stadium of Light, kept a clean sheet against the Bantams in February.

Pickford has yet to play a senior game for Sunderland but made 31 appearances last season during two loan spells with Burton and Carlisle. He made his debut for the Cumbrians in their 1-0 win over City at Brunton Park.

The season before, he was loaned out to Darlington and Nicky Law’s Alfreton.

The 6ft 1in youngster is highly rated and has represented England at under-16, under-17, under-18 and under-19 levels.

Pickford’s arrival will throw a question mark over Jon McLaughlin, who has spent pre-season with the club despite rejecting their initial contract offer.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:21pm Mon 21 Jul 14

jsummers96 says...

Finally getting somewhere..
Finally getting somewhere.. jsummers96
  • Score: 5

12:40pm Mon 21 Jul 14

ukdj67 says...

He is obviously highly rated by Sunderland despite not yet playing a game for them as he has recently signed a new 4 year deal with them.
He is obviously highly rated by Sunderland despite not yet playing a game for them as he has recently signed a new 4 year deal with them. ukdj67
  • Score: 9

1:45pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Peter300 says...

jsummers96 wrote:
Finally getting somewhere..
Don't be impatient. Mr. Lawn warned supporters about certain fans. He used the word 'panic.' It might have applied to you.
[quote][p][bold]jsummers96[/bold] wrote: Finally getting somewhere..[/p][/quote]Don't be impatient. Mr. Lawn warned supporters about certain fans. He used the word 'panic.' It might have applied to you. Peter300
  • Score: -7

2:19pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

I'm glad at least one goalie has signed.
I'm glad at least one goalie has signed. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 5

2:33pm Mon 21 Jul 14

whisky1 says...

Looks like good competition to JMAC who no doubt will sign shortly
Looks like good competition to JMAC who no doubt will sign shortly whisky1
  • Score: 1

3:34pm Mon 21 Jul 14

mrmuzzy says...

Doubt he will get a game.
Would release Johnny mac!!!
Doubt he will get a game. Would release Johnny mac!!! mrmuzzy
  • Score: 4

3:58pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Michael Clayton says...

mrmuzzy wrote:
Doubt he will get a game.
Would release Johnny mac!!!
You can't release someone that is not under contract.
[quote][p][bold]mrmuzzy[/bold] wrote: Doubt he will get a game. Would release Johnny mac!!![/p][/quote]You can't release someone that is not under contract. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 3

5:02pm Mon 21 Jul 14

tyker2 says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
mrmuzzy wrote:
Doubt he will get a game.
Would release Johnny mac!!!
You can't release someone that is not under contract.
agreed :he is anon contract player at present
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mrmuzzy[/bold] wrote: Doubt he will get a game. Would release Johnny mac!!![/p][/quote]You can't release someone that is not under contract.[/p][/quote]agreed :he is anon contract player at present tyker2
  • Score: 1

5:15pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Statler4 says...

mrmuzzy wrote:
Doubt he will get a game.
Would release Johnny mac!!!
All he has to do to get in the team is get to balls in training that Jonny doesn't reach. Unfortunately for the McLaughlin bashers that won't be anything like as easy as they imagine.
[quote][p][bold]mrmuzzy[/bold] wrote: Doubt he will get a game. Would release Johnny mac!!![/p][/quote]All he has to do to get in the team is get to balls in training that Jonny doesn't reach. Unfortunately for the McLaughlin bashers that won't be anything like as easy as they imagine. Statler4
  • Score: -4

7:25pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Baby Bantam says...

Didn't he let 15 goals past him in his last 6 games for Carlisle? Don't mean to knock the lad because I've only seen him play against us and he kept a clean sheet but I don't think I'd have him as first choice straight away with that happening in his last games.
Didn't he let 15 goals past him in his last 6 games for Carlisle? Don't mean to knock the lad because I've only seen him play against us and he kept a clean sheet but I don't think I'd have him as first choice straight away with that happening in his last games. Baby Bantam
  • Score: -7

9:18pm Mon 21 Jul 14

torreyman says...

Does the season loan mean that Pickford stops at Bradford for the whole season ? or can Sunderland still call him back ? I am not sure over this
Does the season loan mean that Pickford stops at Bradford for the whole season ? or can Sunderland still call him back ? I am not sure over this torreyman
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Waynus1971 says...

torreyman wrote:
Does the season loan mean that Pickford stops at Bradford for the whole season ? or can Sunderland still call him back ? I am not sure over this
I believe season long loans usually do not allow the parent club to recall the player, but I may be wrong
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Does the season loan mean that Pickford stops at Bradford for the whole season ? or can Sunderland still call him back ? I am not sure over this[/p][/quote]I believe season long loans usually do not allow the parent club to recall the player, but I may be wrong Waynus1971
  • Score: 1

10:17pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Waynus1971 says...

So we have signed a keeper (which is obviously good news), but we are still looking for a no1. Surely he hasn't been signed for that position?

I think back 3yrs ago, when PP first arrived. The first thing he did was to send back the loanee keeper that Jacko brought in (from Liverpool I think). He signed Duke and gave some speech about a no1 keeper has to be your own player and not a loanee.

Surely PP isn't about to go back on his beliefs????
So we have signed a keeper (which is obviously good news), but we are still looking for a no1. Surely he hasn't been signed for that position? I think back 3yrs ago, when PP first arrived. The first thing he did was to send back the loanee keeper that Jacko brought in (from Liverpool I think). He signed Duke and gave some speech about a no1 keeper has to be your own player and not a loanee. Surely PP isn't about to go back on his beliefs???? Waynus1971
  • Score: 2

10:46pm Mon 21 Jul 14

dazp says...

Don't think Sunderland would let him join us if he wasn't going to be first choice he needs to be playing think that's it for maca
Don't think Sunderland would let him join us if he wasn't going to be first choice he needs to be playing think that's it for maca dazp
  • Score: 1

8:09am Tue 22 Jul 14

Michael Clayton says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
So we have signed a keeper (which is obviously good news), but we are still looking for a no1. Surely he hasn't been signed for that position?

I think back 3yrs ago, when PP first arrived. The first thing he did was to send back the loanee keeper that Jacko brought in (from Liverpool I think). He signed Duke and gave some speech about a no1 keeper has to be your own player and not a loanee.

Surely PP isn't about to go back on his beliefs????
I am sure that any of us could go back over three years and hold ourselves to account for something we have said? Parky has played the loan market over the past three years and so that has probably shaped and/or redefined his opinion.
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: So we have signed a keeper (which is obviously good news), but we are still looking for a no1. Surely he hasn't been signed for that position? I think back 3yrs ago, when PP first arrived. The first thing he did was to send back the loanee keeper that Jacko brought in (from Liverpool I think). He signed Duke and gave some speech about a no1 keeper has to be your own player and not a loanee. Surely PP isn't about to go back on his beliefs????[/p][/quote]I am sure that any of us could go back over three years and hold ourselves to account for something we have said? Parky has played the loan market over the past three years and so that has probably shaped and/or redefined his opinion. Michael Clayton
  • Score: -1

3:53pm Tue 22 Jul 14

cookie_brighton says...

ukdj67 wrote:
He is obviously highly rated by Sunderland despite not yet playing a game for them as he has recently signed a new 4 year deal with them.
he is sunderlands plans to be their number 1 keeper in a few years.
CTID
[quote][p][bold]ukdj67[/bold] wrote: He is obviously highly rated by Sunderland despite not yet playing a game for them as he has recently signed a new 4 year deal with them.[/p][/quote]he is sunderlands plans to be their number 1 keeper in a few years. CTID cookie_brighton
  • Score: 1

11:33pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Waynus1971 says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
So we have signed a keeper (which is obviously good news), but we are still looking for a no1. Surely he hasn't been signed for that position?

I think back 3yrs ago, when PP first arrived. The first thing he did was to send back the loanee keeper that Jacko brought in (from Liverpool I think). He signed Duke and gave some speech about a no1 keeper has to be your own player and not a loanee.

Surely PP isn't about to go back on his beliefs????
I am sure that any of us could go back over three years and hold ourselves to account for something we have said? Parky has played the loan market over the past three years and so that has probably shaped and/or redefined his opinion.
PP never rules himself out of signing loanees though. He only said he doesn't believe a club's no1 should be a loanee.

Now it appears he has gone back on that belief!!!
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: So we have signed a keeper (which is obviously good news), but we are still looking for a no1. Surely he hasn't been signed for that position? I think back 3yrs ago, when PP first arrived. The first thing he did was to send back the loanee keeper that Jacko brought in (from Liverpool I think). He signed Duke and gave some speech about a no1 keeper has to be your own player and not a loanee. Surely PP isn't about to go back on his beliefs????[/p][/quote]I am sure that any of us could go back over three years and hold ourselves to account for something we have said? Parky has played the loan market over the past three years and so that has probably shaped and/or redefined his opinion.[/p][/quote]PP never rules himself out of signing loanees though. He only said he doesn't believe a club's no1 should be a loanee. Now it appears he has gone back on that belief!!! Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree