Bradford Telegraph and ArgusBradford City kick off contract discussions (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email

Bradford City kick off contract discussions

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Matty Dolan is now officially a City player Matty Dolan is now officially a City player

City have made their first moves to try and keep hold of some of the club’s out-of-contract contingent.

It is understood that offers have been made so far to at least four or five of the players whose current deals are due to expire at the end of next month.

Player of the year Stephen Darby, Rory McArdle and James Meredith are among those whose future at Valley Parade is undecided. Gary Jones and Garry Thompson have already been released.

Julian Rhodes revealed in the T&A that Phil Parkinson’s budget for next season is £500,000 down on last year. There will also be more of a focus on attack-minded players.

Director of operations David Baldwin said: “There are a lot of talks going on. We are still very much in a live dialogue with a number in the current squad – as well as looking at potential new players from outside.

“There are some key positions that need to be looked at in all areas, especially in the attacking and attacking midfield positions. There are still player requirements and we are very much looking.”

The offers on the table to the City players coming out of contract are just seen as the opening round of discussions. They are not likely to be “take it or leave it” figures and there is room for further talks.

City must supply the Football League with their retained list by close of play today. The deadline is the third Saturday in May or four days after a club’s final game.

Matty Dolan has officially become a City player after his three-month loan ran out last weekend.

They tried to get the midfielder signed permanently in January but could not agree a deal with Middlesbrough before the transfer deadline.

Instead, Dolan joined on loan until the end of the season with the proviso that he would get a full contract in the summer.

Dolan, who made ten appearances, has signed for one year with the option of a further season in the club’s favour.

The 21-year-old is tipped to be a key player for next term but has been told to work on improving his fitness.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:20am Sat 17 May 14

OLDLAD says...

None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.
None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks. OLDLAD
  • Score: -29

9:06am Sat 17 May 14

Plastic Bantam says...

OLDLAD wrote:
None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.
What's lazy about it?! All Simon has done is report on what he has been told. He, like us gets told the basics.
[quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.[/p][/quote]What's lazy about it?! All Simon has done is report on what he has been told. He, like us gets told the basics. Plastic Bantam
  • Score: 17

11:13am Sat 17 May 14

lawsonio123 says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.
What's lazy about it?! All Simon has done is report on what he has been told. He, like us gets told the basics.
Gentlemen let us stop nit picking and watch with interest how the team changes for next season
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.[/p][/quote]What's lazy about it?! All Simon has done is report on what he has been told. He, like us gets told the basics.[/p][/quote]Gentlemen let us stop nit picking and watch with interest how the team changes for next season lawsonio123
  • Score: 1

11:13am Sat 17 May 14

lawsonio123 says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.
What's lazy about it?! All Simon has done is report on what he has been told. He, like us gets told the basics.
Gentlemen let us stop nit picking and watch with interest how the team changes for next season
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.[/p][/quote]What's lazy about it?! All Simon has done is report on what he has been told. He, like us gets told the basics.[/p][/quote]Gentlemen let us stop nit picking and watch with interest how the team changes for next season lawsonio123
  • Score: -3

11:27am Sat 17 May 14

torreyman says...

Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??
Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ?? torreyman
  • Score: 4

11:38am Sat 17 May 14

OLDLAD says...

We need attacking midfielders as a must
We need attacking midfielders as a must OLDLAD
  • Score: 2

1:37pm Sat 17 May 14

Bantambhoy says...

torreyman wrote:
Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??
Yes, when they get his fitness right he will be a good player for us at his level plus he's only 21.
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??[/p][/quote]Yes, when they get his fitness right he will be a good player for us at his level plus he's only 21. Bantambhoy
  • Score: 6

3:18pm Sat 17 May 14

Freddy says...

*
Chairman Rhodes has said he wants a more attacking developed Squad for next Season.
*
With a Half a Million less Player Budget. I wonder how 'Parky' is going to achieve this objective?. Also, there are Players Contracts to still re-negotiate.
Therefore, even less money could be available for the injection of new attacking players.
*
Could Chairman Lawn LEND a Half a Million to the Player Budget ?.
THEN, and only then, can the Manager meet Chairman Rhodes requirements.
*
* Chairman Rhodes has said he wants a more attacking developed Squad for next Season. * With a Half a Million less Player Budget. I wonder how 'Parky' is going to achieve this objective?. Also, there are Players Contracts to still re-negotiate. Therefore, even less money could be available for the injection of new attacking players. * Could Chairman Lawn LEND a Half a Million to the Player Budget ?. THEN, and only then, can the Manager meet Chairman Rhodes requirements. * Freddy
  • Score: -8

5:34pm Sat 17 May 14

Olivermac says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
torreyman wrote:
Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??
Yes, when they get his fitness right he will be a good player for us at his level plus he's only 21.
How long does it take to get a player fit he spent 3 months with us and I can't see any change from when he joined so why did he play in any of the games if he was not fit.
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??[/p][/quote]Yes, when they get his fitness right he will be a good player for us at his level plus he's only 21.[/p][/quote]How long does it take to get a player fit he spent 3 months with us and I can't see any change from when he joined so why did he play in any of the games if he was not fit. Olivermac
  • Score: 1

6:03pm Sat 17 May 14

tinytoonster says...

Freddy wrote:
*
Chairman Rhodes has said he wants a more attacking developed Squad for next Season.
*
With a Half a Million less Player Budget. I wonder how 'Parky' is going to achieve this objective?. Also, there are Players Contracts to still re-negotiate.
Therefore, even less money could be available for the injection of new attacking players.
*
Could Chairman Lawn LEND a Half a Million to the Player Budget ?.
THEN, and only then, can the Manager meet Chairman Rhodes requirements.
*
i hope not, use it to beat rhodes over the head with in board meetings!
why do you think they re-paid him last time?
[quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: * Chairman Rhodes has said he wants a more attacking developed Squad for next Season. * With a Half a Million less Player Budget. I wonder how 'Parky' is going to achieve this objective?. Also, there are Players Contracts to still re-negotiate. Therefore, even less money could be available for the injection of new attacking players. * Could Chairman Lawn LEND a Half a Million to the Player Budget ?. THEN, and only then, can the Manager meet Chairman Rhodes requirements. *[/p][/quote]i hope not, use it to beat rhodes over the head with in board meetings! why do you think they re-paid him last time? tinytoonster
  • Score: 3

6:59pm Sat 17 May 14

tyker7745 says...

mcglashan from cheltenham is available: a god right winger
mcglashan from cheltenham is available: a god right winger tyker7745
  • Score: 3

7:26am Sun 18 May 14

yorkiewyke says...

If you scan the retained lists there are some quality players being released, lets hope we dont wait until July to sign `whats left`
If you scan the retained lists there are some quality players being released, lets hope we dont wait until July to sign `whats left` yorkiewyke
  • Score: 1

7:28am Sun 18 May 14

yorkiewyke says...

Olivermac wrote:
Bantambhoy wrote:
torreyman wrote:
Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??
Yes, when they get his fitness right he will be a good player for us at his level plus he's only 21.
How long does it take to get a player fit he spent 3 months with us and I can't see any change from when he joined so why did he play in any of the games if he was not fit.
Good question
[quote][p][bold]Olivermac[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Are we all happy about Matty Dolan becoming a Bradford City player ??[/p][/quote]Yes, when they get his fitness right he will be a good player for us at his level plus he's only 21.[/p][/quote]How long does it take to get a player fit he spent 3 months with us and I can't see any change from when he joined so why did he play in any of the games if he was not fit.[/p][/quote]Good question yorkiewyke
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Sun 18 May 14

albioff says...

yorkiewyke wrote:
If you scan the retained lists there are some quality players being released, lets hope we dont wait until July to sign `whats left`
i'm afraid that is what usualy happens. inthe past we get told nothing happening for a while what with hols etc then a few weeks before new season starts they sift through the leftovers after the others have been getting on with it. hope this time they will be a bit smarter out of the blocks.
[quote][p][bold]yorkiewyke[/bold] wrote: If you scan the retained lists there are some quality players being released, lets hope we dont wait until July to sign `whats left`[/p][/quote]i'm afraid that is what usualy happens. inthe past we get told nothing happening for a while what with hols etc then a few weeks before new season starts they sift through the leftovers after the others have been getting on with it. hope this time they will be a bit smarter out of the blocks. albioff
  • Score: -1

4:24pm Sun 18 May 14

yorkiewyke says...

albioff wrote:
yorkiewyke wrote:
If you scan the retained lists there are some quality players being released, lets hope we dont wait until July to sign `whats left`
i'm afraid that is what usualy happens. inthe past we get told nothing happening for a while what with hols etc then a few weeks before new season starts they sift through the leftovers after the others have been getting on with it. hope this time they will be a bit smarter out of the blocks.
We can but hope
[quote][p][bold]albioff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorkiewyke[/bold] wrote: If you scan the retained lists there are some quality players being released, lets hope we dont wait until July to sign `whats left`[/p][/quote]i'm afraid that is what usualy happens. inthe past we get told nothing happening for a while what with hols etc then a few weeks before new season starts they sift through the leftovers after the others have been getting on with it. hope this time they will be a bit smarter out of the blocks.[/p][/quote]We can but hope yorkiewyke
  • Score: 0

9:38am Mon 19 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

OLDLAD wrote:
None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.
If there is nothing to report, what is he supposed to do? Make something up?

My solution would be to have a few weeks off; but no doubt the punters would be up in arms about that?
[quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: None story as the telegraph had this published a couple of weeks ago. Lazy reporting me thinks.[/p][/quote]If there is nothing to report, what is he supposed to do? Make something up? My solution would be to have a few weeks off; but no doubt the punters would be up in arms about that? Michael Clayton
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree