Programme arranged to attract bigger crowds into shopping area over summer

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Councillor David Green, the Council’s executive member for regeneration and economy Councillor David Green, the Council’s executive member for regeneration and economy

The full line-up of entertainment hitting the streets of Bradford city centre this summer has been revealed.

It includes nearly two dozen acts from a harpist to rap workshops as well as flamenco and ukulele players. They will play on Saturdays throughout the summer to entice shoppers to New Market Place, Darley Street and Northgate.

Each act has been vetted by the Council and the announcement follows performances of folk music last weekend across the city centre.

The festival is part of Backing Bradford, a new campaign by the Telegraph & Argus and Bradford Council, designed to encourage people to use the shops, services and eateries on their doorstep. Those who show their loyalty by shopping in the city will be able to take advantage of various discounts and offers.

Councillor David Green, the Council’s executive member for regeneration and economy, said: “The first acts went down very well with shoppers. Rakish Paddy, the Irish folk band, got people dancing in the streets which is an encouraging sign.

“The aim for the summer is to make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere for visitors and shoppers. It complements other schemes we’ve introduced in recent months.”

Related links

  • Read the full story Thursday’s T&A

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:20am Thu 7 Jul 11

dazp says...

ive heard the head line act is a clown show consisting of the local mp's
ive heard the head line act is a clown show consisting of the local mp's dazp

11:27am Thu 7 Jul 11

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Is this the best the council can come up with?
Is this the best the council can come up with? Thee Voice of Reason

12:06pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Joedavid says...

While all this going on Stores and shops are closing down.
Why not music outside Sunwin House many people will be going there for the sale at TJHughes.
While all this going on Stores and shops are closing down. Why not music outside Sunwin House many people will be going there for the sale at TJHughes. Joedavid

12:12pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Didn't the band on the titanic play on whilst the ship sank.
.
Seems like history repeating itself.
Didn't the band on the titanic play on whilst the ship sank. . Seems like history repeating itself. Thee Voice of Reason

12:44pm Thu 7 Jul 11

stiflers mom says...

they could have dave(im cool because i wear jeans and an earing)green blowing his own trumpet !!!
they could have dave(im cool because i wear jeans and an earing)green blowing his own trumpet !!! stiflers mom

1:34pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Avro says...

They really are scraping the barrel, its SHOP'S people want - Get it, got it, GOOD!!!

What's next, Duck hooking on the city Pond??
They really are scraping the barrel, its SHOP'S people want - Get it, got it, GOOD!!! What's next, Duck hooking on the city Pond?? Avro

1:40pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Nick Harrison says...

I actively campaign for an improvement in Bradford. Negative feelings achieve little. It is what it is, lets improve things not bemoan the situation, be positive and improve things. However - GET REAL! What a complete waste of money. A juggler will not entice me to eat at McDonalds or the classy burger van at the bottom of Darley Street, I wonder what shops I am to spend my money in and what services are on offer? We need shops, if we cant have shops at least free parking to help people visit the few that are left. What planet are these people on, I wonder how many of our MPs and councillors buy their food and clothes from Bradford? Perhaps a straw poll, where do they go for a nice evening meal or a quiet relaxing drinkipoos after a days work - I bet that it isnt Bradford!
I actively campaign for an improvement in Bradford. Negative feelings achieve little. It is what it is, lets improve things not bemoan the situation, be positive and improve things. However - GET REAL! What a complete waste of money. A juggler will not entice me to eat at McDonalds or the classy burger van at the bottom of Darley Street, I wonder what shops I am to spend my money in and what services are on offer? We need shops, if we cant have shops at least free parking to help people visit the few that are left. What planet are these people on, I wonder how many of our MPs and councillors buy their food and clothes from Bradford? Perhaps a straw poll, where do they go for a nice evening meal or a quiet relaxing drinkipoos after a days work - I bet that it isnt Bradford! Nick Harrison

2:33pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Old Peculiar says...

David, little Wavey Davey, executive member for regeneration and economy...... with your quiffed locks and "down wi' da kids" earings. How on earth do you expect anyone to take you serious ?? Get a grip man, I know appearances can often be decieving, but first impressions count...... you may aswell wear a tutu and a leotard.
David, little Wavey Davey, executive member for regeneration and economy...... with your quiffed locks and "down wi' da kids" earings. How on earth do you expect anyone to take you serious ?? Get a grip man, I know appearances can often be decieving, but first impressions count...... you may aswell wear a tutu and a leotard. Old Peculiar

3:14pm Thu 7 Jul 11

jj83 says...

Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.
Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important. jj83

3:23pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Parz says...

Jesus...Can't you people be positive about anything?
Jesus...Can't you people be positive about anything? Parz

4:00pm Thu 7 Jul 11

old pecker says...

ok , how about the police and council positively get their backsides in gear and remove all the drunks , druggies , & beggars off the city center streets !
that will be entertaining to watch
ok , how about the police and council positively get their backsides in gear and remove all the drunks , druggies , & beggars off the city center streets ! that will be entertaining to watch old pecker

4:13pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Thee Voice of Reason says...

jj83 wrote:
Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.
Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.
[quote][p][bold]jj83[/bold] wrote: Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.[/p][/quote]Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council. Thee Voice of Reason

4:16pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Clowny says...

old pecker wrote:
ok , how about the police and council positively get their backsides in gear and remove all the drunks , druggies , & beggars off the city center streets !
that will be entertaining to watch
Agreed, I was watching the knife throwing act perform in the city centre, well that's until I realised I was on Ivegate and it was actually an assault in progress. :-P
[quote][p][bold]old pecker[/bold] wrote: ok , how about the police and council positively get their backsides in gear and remove all the drunks , druggies , & beggars off the city center streets ! that will be entertaining to watch[/p][/quote]Agreed, I was watching the knife throwing act perform in the city centre, well that's until I realised I was on Ivegate and it was actually an assault in progress. :-P Clowny

8:08pm Thu 7 Jul 11

jj83 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
jj83 wrote:
Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.
Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.
surprise surprise, you don't think it's a good idea... would you prefer no street entertainment at all?? at least the council are coming up with ideas and it's certainly worth a try!!
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jj83[/bold] wrote: Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.[/p][/quote]Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.[/p][/quote]surprise surprise, you don't think it's a good idea... would you prefer no street entertainment at all?? at least the council are coming up with ideas and it's certainly worth a try!! jj83

8:47pm Thu 7 Jul 11

Thee Voice of Reason says...

jj83 wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
jj83 wrote:
Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.
Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.
surprise surprise, you don't think it's a good idea... would you prefer no street entertainment at all?? at least the council are coming up with ideas and it's certainly worth a try!!
If I'm honest yes. How about free parking in the shopping center to get people into the City centre instead.
.
All this guy ever does is appear in this newspaper with token gestures and excuses.
[quote][p][bold]jj83[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jj83[/bold] wrote: Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.[/p][/quote]Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.[/p][/quote]surprise surprise, you don't think it's a good idea... would you prefer no street entertainment at all?? at least the council are coming up with ideas and it's certainly worth a try!![/p][/quote]If I'm honest yes. How about free parking in the shopping center to get people into the City centre instead. . All this guy ever does is appear in this newspaper with token gestures and excuses. Thee Voice of Reason

9:30pm Thu 7 Jul 11

jj83 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
jj83 wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
jj83 wrote:
Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.
Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.
surprise surprise, you don't think it's a good idea... would you prefer no street entertainment at all?? at least the council are coming up with ideas and it's certainly worth a try!!
If I'm honest yes. How about free parking in the shopping center to get people into the City centre instead.
.
All this guy ever does is appear in this newspaper with token gestures and excuses.
Street entertainment is proven to be very popular with shoppers so clearly it's a good idea but you're just too stubborn to admit it.

When I parked at the Kirkgate Centre the other week it was nearly full so the cost of parking there isn't an issue. Plus there's free parking at Forster Square, Little Germany and it's only £3 all day at Hall Ings and it's cheap to park on the streets too compared to other cities...
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jj83[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jj83[/bold] wrote: Excellent, even if it doesn't attract more shoppers it will make the city centre more vibrant and improve the atmosphere which is also very important.[/p][/quote]Mr Greenwood, you don't have time to be on this forum if your running the council.[/p][/quote]surprise surprise, you don't think it's a good idea... would you prefer no street entertainment at all?? at least the council are coming up with ideas and it's certainly worth a try!![/p][/quote]If I'm honest yes. How about free parking in the shopping center to get people into the City centre instead. . All this guy ever does is appear in this newspaper with token gestures and excuses.[/p][/quote]Street entertainment is proven to be very popular with shoppers so clearly it's a good idea but you're just too stubborn to admit it. When I parked at the Kirkgate Centre the other week it was nearly full so the cost of parking there isn't an issue. Plus there's free parking at Forster Square, Little Germany and it's only £3 all day at Hall Ings and it's cheap to park on the streets too compared to other cities... jj83

12:11pm Fri 8 Jul 11

A Landless Peasant says...

Who on earth wants to dawdle about in the city centre? You go there, buy what you need and get home asap.
Who on earth wants to dawdle about in the city centre? You go there, buy what you need and get home asap. A Landless Peasant

3:44pm Mon 11 Jul 11

Albion. says...

stiflers mom wrote:
they could have dave(im cool because i wear jeans and an earing)green blowing his own trumpet !!!
Or someone else's!
[quote][p][bold]stiflers mom[/bold] wrote: they could have dave(im cool because i wear jeans and an earing)green blowing his own trumpet !!![/p][/quote]Or someone else's! Albion.

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree