Thornton Grammar School progress too slow, say inspectors

A Bradford secondary school has made insufficient progress in reaching targets identified by Ofsted, the watchdog’s inspectors have found.

Thornton Grammar was told to make improvements in several areas following an inspection in 2010, in which it was judged to be satisfactory.

An inspection in December to check on progress found there was too much variation in the quality of teaching with students not making enough progress. Data on pupils was not used consistently well enough.

A letter from inspector Linda Tetik noted changes to leadership, made since the appointment of head Chris Sampson, which had strengthened the role of heads of department.

Mr Sampson said: “These changes have resulted in a sharper focus on school improvement. We were pleased that Ofsted noted that there had been improvements in teaching and learning since the last inspection.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:13pm Mon 16 Jan 12

Old Peculiar says...

My daughter attends the 6th form at Thornton Grammar. She, along with several of her friends, are looking to transfer to either Bradford College, or AN Other 6th form, due to the poor standards at the school. Several problems, including frequently absent teachers / incomprehensible teachers have been reported to those in charge, but no actions have been taken.
Thornton Grammar - sort out this mess, it is unacceptable.
My daughter attends the 6th form at Thornton Grammar. She, along with several of her friends, are looking to transfer to either Bradford College, or AN Other 6th form, due to the poor standards at the school. Several problems, including frequently absent teachers / incomprehensible teachers have been reported to those in charge, but no actions have been taken. Thornton Grammar - sort out this mess, it is unacceptable. Old Peculiar

3:13pm Mon 16 Jan 12

Yorkshire Lass says...

Again, a let down by a Bradford School. Maybe Mr Gove is right by saying the methods of teaching and standards have to improve. Only time will tell.
Again, a let down by a Bradford School. Maybe Mr Gove is right by saying the methods of teaching and standards have to improve. Only time will tell. Yorkshire Lass

4:57pm Mon 16 Jan 12

Apollo says...

Is the school in Special Measures?

The T&A Report does not make it clear.
Is the school in Special Measures? The T&A Report does not make it clear. Apollo

6:12am Tue 17 Jan 12

silverbantam says...

Apollo wrote:
Is the school in Special Measures?

The T&A Report does not make it clear.
Of course it isn't. The school was deemed "satisfactory" !!!
[quote][p][bold]Apollo[/bold] wrote: Is the school in Special Measures? The T&A Report does not make it clear.[/p][/quote]Of course it isn't. The school was deemed "satisfactory" !!! silverbantam

7:26am Tue 17 Jan 12

Apollo says...

silverbantam wrote:
Apollo wrote: Is the school in Special Measures? The T&A Report does not make it clear.
Of course it isn't. The school was deemed "satisfactory" !!!
As you will see from the news today Ofsted are not going to use the word 'satisfactory' any more.

It always seemed like damning with faint praise. In the case of Thornton School perhaps even more so.
[quote][p][bold]silverbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Apollo[/bold] wrote: Is the school in Special Measures? The T&A Report does not make it clear.[/p][/quote]Of course it isn't. The school was deemed "satisfactory" !!![/p][/quote]As you will see from the news today Ofsted are not going to use the word 'satisfactory' any more. It always seemed like damning with faint praise. In the case of Thornton School perhaps even more so. Apollo

5:02pm Tue 17 Jan 12

dapiackle says...

Anecdotally (maybe someone can either confirm or deny this) they are not in Special Measures but have been given what is called Notice to Improve (which is between satisfactory and special measures) or they risk Special Measures.

Either way it's a real shame cos more often than not things do not improve they go into a spiral of decline, good teachers leave, good kids leave or go elsewhere. The school ends up with disinterested kids and teachers and ends up closing. Not exactly what we need is it?
Anecdotally (maybe someone can either confirm or deny this) they are not in Special Measures but have been given what is called Notice to Improve (which is between satisfactory and special measures) or they risk Special Measures. Either way it's a real shame cos more often than not things do not improve they go into a spiral of decline, good teachers leave, good kids leave or go elsewhere. The school ends up with disinterested kids and teachers and ends up closing. Not exactly what we need is it? dapiackle

7:33pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Explicit Introvert says...

As a CURRENT pupil in the 6th form at Thornton Grammar School, I can say that it is blatently obvious this was where the school was headed!

#Rant

In fact, 'Special Measures' would be benificial to the school. Since I started 7 years ago, things have been in decline. The 'Senior Management Team' have little or no idea of how bad the situation is. These are just some of the many many negatives:

1) Funding for even the 3 core subjects is almost non existant. The science labs are all outdated, we have equipment still in use from the 70's and very rarely updated.

2) The new rules mean that the teachers in my opinion have immense amounts of paperwork to be filling in, and hardly any time to be focusing on the pupils, studying for A-level and GCSE's. The results this year have been very bad.

3) The condition of the building is unbelieveably bad. We were expected to have a new school built but it never materialised because of the recession.

4) The school for 90% of the time is like a war zone, and the only time it improves is the week leading upto Ofsted inspections, where magically the head teacher will make appearances in class and actually show some interest in the school, other than that, he's very rarely seen engaging anywhere.

5) Teaching as a whole is acceptable but if only everyone knew how bad it can get. Example, a teacher who recently left, taught so badly that every class of his didn't even pass. I mean its upto the stuents to put the work in but we can only do so much if we're taught the sylabus in the first place. Another example would be teachers being absent for extended amounts of time, and harly any cover lessons avaliable. I mean how can you expect to pass your A-levels when you have no input or revision classes avaliable bacause the teachers are off so much!

6) The fact that all these concerns are felt by more than just one person, on a whole the school is very badly run and when I or others try to raise concers, we end up being passed around like pawns, and nothing ever gets done.

Now some may say it's just my experience and i may be exaggirating, but honestly, I want to see the school improve, in Year 7 everything was well but in recent months drastic changes (for the worse) have been observed.

The fact that students like me are noticing means that, the sensitive issues that are ment to stay behind closed doors are being picked up on so there must be something going on.

I think the biggest problem is lack of funding and opportunities, which is expected because of the current financial climate but the school never runs anything that gets people engaged. I mean for most of the time, we don't have paper or ink in almost all classrooms, and simple but vital facilities such as printers (that are broken or out of use) are not even available. I could carry on about the boys toilets where the hot water is scorchingly hot but that's too much.

Even teachers will often ask me what I think of the school, because they can see a change It's about time TGS follows in suit of Rhodesway where I have friends who really like the new Academy takeover and the standard of schooling there is over there now!

Finally I have to give credit to the Maths department in particular, as they really go out of their way to do the best they can to help or push the students and make the most of what they have, but the rest of the school in my opinion needs major changes!

My plan was to get into university this year but the lack of teaching and workshops (due to the senior management giving teachers meetings to attend to rather than workshops) means i probably won't get in this year, and I won't be the only one!

#End of rant.
As a CURRENT pupil in the 6th form at Thornton Grammar School, I can say that it is blatently obvious this was where the school was headed! #Rant In fact, 'Special Measures' would be benificial to the school. Since I started 7 years ago, things have been in decline. The 'Senior Management Team' have little or no idea of how bad the situation is. These are just some of the many many negatives: 1) Funding for even the 3 core subjects is almost non existant. The science labs are all outdated, we have equipment still in use from the 70's and very rarely updated. 2) The new rules mean that the teachers in my opinion have immense amounts of paperwork to be filling in, and hardly any time to be focusing on the pupils, studying for A-level and GCSE's. The results this year have been very bad. 3) The condition of the building is unbelieveably bad. We were expected to have a new school built but it never materialised because of the recession. 4) The school for 90% of the time is like a war zone, and the only time it improves is the week leading upto Ofsted inspections, where magically the head teacher will make appearances in class and actually show some interest in the school, other than that, he's very rarely seen engaging anywhere. 5) Teaching as a whole is acceptable but if only everyone knew how bad it can get. Example, a teacher who recently left, taught so badly that every class of his didn't even pass. I mean its upto the stuents to put the work in but we can only do so much if we're taught the sylabus in the first place. Another example would be teachers being absent for extended amounts of time, and harly any cover lessons avaliable. I mean how can you expect to pass your A-levels when you have no input or revision classes avaliable bacause the teachers are off so much! 6) The fact that all these concerns are felt by more than just one person, on a whole the school is very badly run and when I or others try to raise concers, we end up being passed around like pawns, and nothing ever gets done. Now some may say it's just my experience and i may be exaggirating, but honestly, I want to see the school improve, in Year 7 everything was well but in recent months drastic changes (for the worse) have been observed. The fact that students like me are noticing means that, the sensitive issues that are ment to stay behind closed doors are being picked up on so there must be something going on. I think the biggest problem is lack of funding and opportunities, which is expected because of the current financial climate but the school never runs anything that gets people engaged. I mean for most of the time, we don't have paper or ink in almost all classrooms, and simple but vital facilities such as printers (that are broken or out of use) are not even available. I could carry on about the boys toilets where the hot water is scorchingly hot but that's too much. Even teachers will often ask me what I think of the school, because they can see a change It's about time TGS follows in suit of Rhodesway where I have friends who really like the new Academy takeover and the standard of schooling there is over there now! Finally I have to give credit to the Maths department in particular, as they really go out of their way to do the best they can to help or push the students and make the most of what they have, but the rest of the school in my opinion needs major changes! My plan was to get into university this year but the lack of teaching and workshops (due to the senior management giving teachers meetings to attend to rather than workshops) means i probably won't get in this year, and I won't be the only one! #End of rant. Explicit Introvert

1:44pm Wed 18 Jan 12

AMDRAM says...

Well said. This used to be a very good school - worthy of the name Grammar right up until the late 70's early 80's but not any more. I knew many of the teachers there and they were a dedicated team - their sole interest being the progression of the pupils. Teachers now are namby pamby and take time off with "stress" for no reason whatsoever. When I hear from them what stresses them out I tell them to do my job for 1/2 a day - they would be in Lynfield Mount! They take sick leave at the drop of a hat and 1 snowflake and they don't turn in! Pathetic - time they saw teaching as a career and tried to help the pupils - not seeing it as an easy ride with good money attached. Have to say I do know a couple of really good teachers but they are few and far between! And before anyone slates me for not knowing what I am talking about - all my family were good dedicated teachers who made a difference and are still fondly remembered by their pupils - today's crowd - well, what a shower!!
Well said. This used to be a very good school - worthy of the name Grammar right up until the late 70's early 80's but not any more. I knew many of the teachers there and they were a dedicated team - their sole interest being the progression of the pupils. Teachers now are namby pamby and take time off with "stress" for no reason whatsoever. When I hear from them what stresses them out I tell them to do my job for 1/2 a day - they would be in Lynfield Mount! They take sick leave at the drop of a hat and 1 snowflake and they don't turn in! Pathetic - time they saw teaching as a career and tried to help the pupils - not seeing it as an easy ride with good money attached. Have to say I do know a couple of really good teachers but they are few and far between! And before anyone slates me for not knowing what I am talking about - all my family were good dedicated teachers who made a difference and are still fondly remembered by their pupils - today's crowd - well, what a shower!! AMDRAM

9:51pm Thu 19 Jan 12

theguywhoregistered says...

As another current pupil in 6th form, I totally agree with 'Explicit Introvert'... every single line of it! My only regret is that I could not write what he wrote first; a perfect description. Sorry but I can't be bothered with setting out my paragraphs neatly, so I'm just going to rant straight out. Teachers are made to fill out forms and unnecessary paperwork that halts education as a whole... teachers are made to write advanced lesson plans just in case they might happen to be absent from one lesson so a supply teacher can apparently 'teach the lesson.' Rather than tiring them out and causing them stress, maybe the TEACHERS should be left to TEACH their subject and have a normal evening like anyone else that doesn't cause them stress which is apparent in the classroom environment! Help is even discouraged after school; maybe the 'senior management' team are under the misconception that learning MORE about a subject after school means that teachers are not doing their job properly in class. If that is the case then let me clarify - this is complete and utter rubbish. Spending extra time with teachers who specialize in their respective subjects allows us to learn for the sake of learning; not to pass an exam - a formality. Passing exams means nothing - I have several high grades myself from GCSEs yet I feel completely ignorant about half the subjects... if I went in a working environment, I wouldn't have half a clue what to do! Yet for some reason the student-teacher relationship that would result in deep understanding of subjects and enrich the minds of the students seems to be discouraged in favour of staff meetings and 'training' - if teachers need to be trained this much then what was the point in them having qualifications? Why do teachers need to have so many interdepartmental meetings anyway? Are they dealing with paperwork? Who's setting the paperwork - what's even on this paperwork!? Because none of it is helping my education. In fact a lot is hindering me... in 5 years of lower school I have hardly learned anything of true relevance - coming to A Level is a drastic change... and one we as students are not prepared for! Of course A Level is a higher standard of work, but it shouldn't be so hard for everyone... yet we've not been encouraged to think for ourselves for 5 years. But don't worry, we're encouraged to tuck our shirts in and where a tie showing 6 stripes, because that is VITAL for our education. Well, in the senior management's eyes anyway - in fact, I can't express how heavily stressed this issue is... glad to know they're focusing on something useful! Maybe they could divert some of those efforts towards keeping the morale high of both the teachers and the students, and instead of telling us how we should learn, try make an attempt to find out how we CAN learn! Maybe they should stop expecting students to do things in their orderly fashion and make learning something that a student looks forward too... and that does NOT mean stupid computer websites and flash animations on smartboards! Rather learning theory and developing deep understanding - not learning to pass exams and make the school stats look good on a pointless database. We're not taught subjects anymore - in fact we're discouraged... the school are trying to train kids to beat a mark scheme - real learning has gone out of the window. I've come to realize in 6th form that my sheer ability to THINK and not regurgitate information is virtually non-existent - and I can assure you that I had it in Primary school... 5 years of lessons with very little captivating information has rendered my mind useless, and now I am trying to do everything possible to get it to work again since we're actually told to think now and we're somehow expected to be able to do it - just like that! And I'm sure this applies to many more pupils than just myself. Senior management should manage - not control. Teachers must be given more time to live their lives and more freedom to teach THEIR subject - they're called teachers for a reason... because they can teach. So just let them! Stop insulting the hard work of brilliant teachers over the years by making them go to your 'teacher training' sessions or whatever they are. And I'd like to see the head actually do something recognisable... maybe he is doing something worthwhile in his office, or maybe he's just stuck with paperwork too. But students very rarely see the head - that's not the relationship the head of the school and the pupils should have. Walking around randomly at break time is not sufficient - there should be some useful engagement. The headteacher and his colleagues should appear approachable to every student - that will not happen when the students hardly experience any meaningful sort of interaction with them. And if they want to concentrate on behaviour, they should stop paying so much attention to the kids who mess around and make other students' lives hell in what should be a comfortable learning environment and pay a LOT more attention to those who actually behave sensibly and try hard - stop rewarding badly behaved students for acting live civilized human beings for one lesson! Maybe if they were taught interesting and captivating concepts they would want to work and would be more cooperative. Kids spend half their time awake at school - stop wasting their time and contribute to their lives in a productive manner. Also, as mentioned above, credit to the Maths department - the effort their to prepare students with real understanding is brilliant.

I'll stop now otherwise I'll still be typing when I should be in school tomorrow amidst a bunch of disgruntled students and teachers who have nothing to look forward to due to what seems from this perspective to be some sort of pointless act of oppression.

'Stay humble' - Lowkey.
As another current pupil in 6th form, I totally agree with 'Explicit Introvert'... every single line of it! My only regret is that I could not write what he wrote first; a perfect description. Sorry but I can't be bothered with setting out my paragraphs neatly, so I'm just going to rant straight out. Teachers are made to fill out forms and unnecessary paperwork that halts education as a whole... teachers are made to write advanced lesson plans just in case they might happen to be absent from one lesson so a supply teacher can apparently 'teach the lesson.' Rather than tiring them out and causing them stress, maybe the TEACHERS should be left to TEACH their subject and have a normal evening like anyone else that doesn't cause them stress which is apparent in the classroom environment! Help is even discouraged after school; maybe the 'senior management' team are under the misconception that learning MORE about a subject after school means that teachers are not doing their job properly in class. If that is the case then let me clarify - this is complete and utter rubbish. Spending extra time with teachers who specialize in their respective subjects allows us to learn for the sake of learning; not to pass an exam - a formality. Passing exams means nothing - I have several high grades myself from GCSEs yet I feel completely ignorant about half the subjects... if I went in a working environment, I wouldn't have half a clue what to do! Yet for some reason the student-teacher relationship that would result in deep understanding of subjects and enrich the minds of the students seems to be discouraged in favour of staff meetings and 'training' - if teachers need to be trained this much then what was the point in them having qualifications? Why do teachers need to have so many interdepartmental meetings anyway? Are they dealing with paperwork? Who's setting the paperwork - what's even on this paperwork!? Because none of it is helping my education. In fact a lot is hindering me... in 5 years of lower school I have hardly learned anything of true relevance - coming to A Level is a drastic change... and one we as students are not prepared for! Of course A Level is a higher standard of work, but it shouldn't be so hard for everyone... yet we've not been encouraged to think for ourselves for 5 years. But don't worry, we're encouraged to tuck our shirts in and where a tie showing 6 stripes, because that is VITAL for our education. Well, in the senior management's eyes anyway - in fact, I can't express how heavily stressed this issue is... glad to know they're focusing on something useful! Maybe they could divert some of those efforts towards keeping the morale high of both the teachers and the students, and instead of telling us how we should learn, try make an attempt to find out how we CAN learn! Maybe they should stop expecting students to do things in their orderly fashion and make learning something that a student looks forward too... and that does NOT mean stupid computer websites and flash animations on smartboards! Rather learning theory and developing deep understanding - not learning to pass exams and make the school stats look good on a pointless database. We're not taught subjects anymore - in fact we're discouraged... the school are trying to train kids to beat a mark scheme - real learning has gone out of the window. I've come to realize in 6th form that my sheer ability to THINK and not regurgitate information is virtually non-existent - and I can assure you that I had it in Primary school... 5 years of lessons with very little captivating information has rendered my mind useless, and now I am trying to do everything possible to get it to work again since we're actually told to think now and we're somehow expected to be able to do it - just like that! And I'm sure this applies to many more pupils than just myself. Senior management should manage - not control. Teachers must be given more time to live their lives and more freedom to teach THEIR subject - they're called teachers for a reason... because they can teach. So just let them! Stop insulting the hard work of brilliant teachers over the years by making them go to your 'teacher training' sessions or whatever they are. And I'd like to see the head actually do something recognisable... maybe he is doing something worthwhile in his office, or maybe he's just stuck with paperwork too. But students very rarely see the head - that's not the relationship the head of the school and the pupils should have. Walking around randomly at break time is not sufficient - there should be some useful engagement. The headteacher and his colleagues should appear approachable to every student - that will not happen when the students hardly experience any meaningful sort of interaction with them. And if they want to concentrate on behaviour, they should stop paying so much attention to the kids who mess around and make other students' lives hell in what should be a comfortable learning environment and pay a LOT more attention to those who actually behave sensibly and try hard - stop rewarding badly behaved students for acting live civilized human beings for one lesson! Maybe if they were taught interesting and captivating concepts they would want to work and would be more cooperative. Kids spend half their time awake at school - stop wasting their time and contribute to their lives in a productive manner. Also, as mentioned above, credit to the Maths department - the effort their to prepare students with real understanding is brilliant. I'll stop now otherwise I'll still be typing when I should be in school tomorrow amidst a bunch of disgruntled students and teachers who have nothing to look forward to due to what seems from this perspective to be some sort of pointless act of oppression. 'Stay humble' - Lowkey. theguywhoregistered

9:51pm Thu 19 Jan 12

theguywhoregistered says...

As another current pupil in 6th form, I totally agree with 'Explicit Introvert'... every single line of it! My only regret is that I could not write what he wrote first; a perfect description. Sorry but I can't be bothered with setting out my paragraphs neatly, so I'm just going to rant straight out. Teachers are made to fill out forms and unnecessary paperwork that halts education as a whole... teachers are made to write advanced lesson plans just in case they might happen to be absent from one lesson so a supply teacher can apparently 'teach the lesson.' Rather than tiring them out and causing them stress, maybe the TEACHERS should be left to TEACH their subject and have a normal evening like anyone else that doesn't cause them stress which is apparent in the classroom environment! Help is even discouraged after school; maybe the 'senior management' team are under the misconception that learning MORE about a subject after school means that teachers are not doing their job properly in class. If that is the case then let me clarify - this is complete and utter rubbish. Spending extra time with teachers who specialize in their respective subjects allows us to learn for the sake of learning; not to pass an exam - a formality. Passing exams means nothing - I have several high grades myself from GCSEs yet I feel completely ignorant about half the subjects... if I went in a working environment, I wouldn't have half a clue what to do! Yet for some reason the student-teacher relationship that would result in deep understanding of subjects and enrich the minds of the students seems to be discouraged in favour of staff meetings and 'training' - if teachers need to be trained this much then what was the point in them having qualifications? Why do teachers need to have so many interdepartmental meetings anyway? Are they dealing with paperwork? Who's setting the paperwork - what's even on this paperwork!? Because none of it is helping my education. In fact a lot is hindering me... in 5 years of lower school I have hardly learned anything of true relevance - coming to A Level is a drastic change... and one we as students are not prepared for! Of course A Level is a higher standard of work, but it shouldn't be so hard for everyone... yet we've not been encouraged to think for ourselves for 5 years. But don't worry, we're encouraged to tuck our shirts in and where a tie showing 6 stripes, because that is VITAL for our education. Well, in the senior management's eyes anyway - in fact, I can't express how heavily stressed this issue is... glad to know they're focusing on something useful! Maybe they could divert some of those efforts towards keeping the morale high of both the teachers and the students, and instead of telling us how we should learn, try make an attempt to find out how we CAN learn! Maybe they should stop expecting students to do things in their orderly fashion and make learning something that a student looks forward too... and that does NOT mean stupid computer websites and flash animations on smartboards! Rather learning theory and developing deep understanding - not learning to pass exams and make the school stats look good on a pointless database. We're not taught subjects anymore - in fact we're discouraged... the school are trying to train kids to beat a mark scheme - real learning has gone out of the window. I've come to realize in 6th form that my sheer ability to THINK and not regurgitate information is virtually non-existent - and I can assure you that I had it in Primary school... 5 years of lessons with very little captivating information has rendered my mind useless, and now I am trying to do everything possible to get it to work again since we're actually told to think now and we're somehow expected to be able to do it - just like that! And I'm sure this applies to many more pupils than just myself. Senior management should manage - not control. Teachers must be given more time to live their lives and more freedom to teach THEIR subject - they're called teachers for a reason... because they can teach. So just let them! Stop insulting the hard work of brilliant teachers over the years by making them go to your 'teacher training' sessions or whatever they are. And I'd like to see the head actually do something recognisable... maybe he is doing something worthwhile in his office, or maybe he's just stuck with paperwork too. But students very rarely see the head - that's not the relationship the head of the school and the pupils should have. Walking around randomly at break time is not sufficient - there should be some useful engagement. The headteacher and his colleagues should appear approachable to every student - that will not happen when the students hardly experience any meaningful sort of interaction with them. And if they want to concentrate on behaviour, they should stop paying so much attention to the kids who mess around and make other students' lives hell in what should be a comfortable learning environment and pay a LOT more attention to those who actually behave sensibly and try hard - stop rewarding badly behaved students for acting live civilized human beings for one lesson! Maybe if they were taught interesting and captivating concepts they would want to work and would be more cooperative. Kids spend half their time awake at school - stop wasting their time and contribute to their lives in a productive manner. Also, as mentioned above, credit to the Maths department - the effort their to prepare students with real understanding is brilliant.

I'll stop now otherwise I'll still be typing when I should be in school tomorrow amidst a bunch of disgruntled students and teachers who have nothing to look forward to due to what seems from this perspective to be some sort of pointless act of oppression.

'Stay humble' - Lowkey.
As another current pupil in 6th form, I totally agree with 'Explicit Introvert'... every single line of it! My only regret is that I could not write what he wrote first; a perfect description. Sorry but I can't be bothered with setting out my paragraphs neatly, so I'm just going to rant straight out. Teachers are made to fill out forms and unnecessary paperwork that halts education as a whole... teachers are made to write advanced lesson plans just in case they might happen to be absent from one lesson so a supply teacher can apparently 'teach the lesson.' Rather than tiring them out and causing them stress, maybe the TEACHERS should be left to TEACH their subject and have a normal evening like anyone else that doesn't cause them stress which is apparent in the classroom environment! Help is even discouraged after school; maybe the 'senior management' team are under the misconception that learning MORE about a subject after school means that teachers are not doing their job properly in class. If that is the case then let me clarify - this is complete and utter rubbish. Spending extra time with teachers who specialize in their respective subjects allows us to learn for the sake of learning; not to pass an exam - a formality. Passing exams means nothing - I have several high grades myself from GCSEs yet I feel completely ignorant about half the subjects... if I went in a working environment, I wouldn't have half a clue what to do! Yet for some reason the student-teacher relationship that would result in deep understanding of subjects and enrich the minds of the students seems to be discouraged in favour of staff meetings and 'training' - if teachers need to be trained this much then what was the point in them having qualifications? Why do teachers need to have so many interdepartmental meetings anyway? Are they dealing with paperwork? Who's setting the paperwork - what's even on this paperwork!? Because none of it is helping my education. In fact a lot is hindering me... in 5 years of lower school I have hardly learned anything of true relevance - coming to A Level is a drastic change... and one we as students are not prepared for! Of course A Level is a higher standard of work, but it shouldn't be so hard for everyone... yet we've not been encouraged to think for ourselves for 5 years. But don't worry, we're encouraged to tuck our shirts in and where a tie showing 6 stripes, because that is VITAL for our education. Well, in the senior management's eyes anyway - in fact, I can't express how heavily stressed this issue is... glad to know they're focusing on something useful! Maybe they could divert some of those efforts towards keeping the morale high of both the teachers and the students, and instead of telling us how we should learn, try make an attempt to find out how we CAN learn! Maybe they should stop expecting students to do things in their orderly fashion and make learning something that a student looks forward too... and that does NOT mean stupid computer websites and flash animations on smartboards! Rather learning theory and developing deep understanding - not learning to pass exams and make the school stats look good on a pointless database. We're not taught subjects anymore - in fact we're discouraged... the school are trying to train kids to beat a mark scheme - real learning has gone out of the window. I've come to realize in 6th form that my sheer ability to THINK and not regurgitate information is virtually non-existent - and I can assure you that I had it in Primary school... 5 years of lessons with very little captivating information has rendered my mind useless, and now I am trying to do everything possible to get it to work again since we're actually told to think now and we're somehow expected to be able to do it - just like that! And I'm sure this applies to many more pupils than just myself. Senior management should manage - not control. Teachers must be given more time to live their lives and more freedom to teach THEIR subject - they're called teachers for a reason... because they can teach. So just let them! Stop insulting the hard work of brilliant teachers over the years by making them go to your 'teacher training' sessions or whatever they are. And I'd like to see the head actually do something recognisable... maybe he is doing something worthwhile in his office, or maybe he's just stuck with paperwork too. But students very rarely see the head - that's not the relationship the head of the school and the pupils should have. Walking around randomly at break time is not sufficient - there should be some useful engagement. The headteacher and his colleagues should appear approachable to every student - that will not happen when the students hardly experience any meaningful sort of interaction with them. And if they want to concentrate on behaviour, they should stop paying so much attention to the kids who mess around and make other students' lives hell in what should be a comfortable learning environment and pay a LOT more attention to those who actually behave sensibly and try hard - stop rewarding badly behaved students for acting live civilized human beings for one lesson! Maybe if they were taught interesting and captivating concepts they would want to work and would be more cooperative. Kids spend half their time awake at school - stop wasting their time and contribute to their lives in a productive manner. Also, as mentioned above, credit to the Maths department - the effort their to prepare students with real understanding is brilliant. I'll stop now otherwise I'll still be typing when I should be in school tomorrow amidst a bunch of disgruntled students and teachers who have nothing to look forward to due to what seems from this perspective to be some sort of pointless act of oppression. 'Stay humble' - Lowkey. theguywhoregistered

10:21pm Thu 19 Jan 12

JustAnotherStudent says...

I, as another 6th form student of Thornton Grammar, shall have to vehemently agree with "Explicit Introvert" and "theguywhoregistered
" as they have both said exactly what NEEDS to be said. Too much paperwork and stress is put on to teachers, without the addition of unruly students. Workshops/after school sessions either as a groups or one-to-one should be prioritised high above endless, pointless meetings. Much credit to the Maths department (without discounting other staff) to making a large effort even with 'senior management' asking for their mountains of paper work.
I, as another 6th form student of Thornton Grammar, shall have to vehemently agree with "Explicit Introvert" and "theguywhoregistered " as they have both said exactly what NEEDS to be said. Too much paperwork and stress is put on to teachers, without the addition of unruly students. Workshops/after school sessions either as a groups or one-to-one should be prioritised high above endless, pointless meetings. Much credit to the Maths department (without discounting other staff) to making a large effort even with 'senior management' asking for their mountains of paper work. JustAnotherStudent

10:38pm Thu 19 Jan 12

Explicit Introvert says...

@ theguywhoregistered I'm glad someone shares the same concerns as me and is not afraid to voice them. I too, completely agree with the points put forward.

It's about time that us students have an opportunity to highlight the issues that TGS seems to think are not of any major concern, so brush off lightly.

The objective of my first comment was to partially validate the statement..."there was too much variation in the quality of teaching with students not making enough progress. Data on pupils was not used consistently well enough..." as some parents and readers may feel that Ofsted is being overly critical about the school, (Even though personally I think they're doing what they were set up to do, and analysing the school in a greater depth).

However, I still advise that we don't add to the problems that TGS is currently 'in the process' of resolving.

It's obvious that TGS has some talented students, and we shouldn't let a few problems affect us or ruin our educations.

Finally the last thing I wan't is for this to escalate into something I never intended for it too, so i'll spare everyone another lengthy reply and I think we should let this die down, and concentrate on passing our exams!

If anything, I think we should discuss this internally in school, plus I'm pretty sure you know where to find me in school and online, peace!
@ theguywhoregistered I'm glad someone shares the same concerns as me and is not afraid to voice them. I too, completely agree with the points put forward. It's about time that us students have an opportunity to highlight the issues that TGS seems to think are not of any major concern, so brush off lightly. The objective of my first comment was to partially validate the statement..."there was too much variation in the quality of teaching with students not making enough progress. Data on pupils was not used consistently well enough..." as some parents and readers may feel that Ofsted is being overly critical about the school, (Even though personally I think they're doing what they were set up to do, and analysing the school in a greater depth). However, I still advise that we don't add to the problems that TGS is currently 'in the process' of resolving. It's obvious that TGS has some talented students, and we shouldn't let a few problems affect us or ruin our educations. Finally the last thing I wan't is for this to escalate into something I never intended for it too, so i'll spare everyone another lengthy reply and I think we should let this die down, and concentrate on passing our exams! If anything, I think we should discuss this internally in school, plus I'm pretty sure you know where to find me in school and online, peace! Explicit Introvert

10:47pm Thu 19 Jan 12

sherlocked says...

Everything above has been said, thankfully, so there's no need for a lengthy comment here either. I, too, think school should really calm down on how their students LOOK and focus more on how they LEARN. I have to admit most of my teachers for the Sixth Form are generally poor, save for one or two who really are keen to stay behind whenever possible to work with their students to ensure the best success possible.

As a final note, TGS has certainly gone downhill since - coincidentally or not, - we got the new Head Teacher. Whether this is the problem or not, I'm unsure, but something certainly needs to be done about it.
Everything above has been said, thankfully, so there's no need for a lengthy comment here either. I, too, think school should really calm down on how their students LOOK and focus more on how they LEARN. I have to admit most of my teachers for the Sixth Form are generally poor, save for one or two who really are keen to stay behind whenever possible to work with their students to ensure the best success possible. As a final note, TGS has certainly gone downhill since - coincidentally or not, - we got the new Head Teacher. Whether this is the problem or not, I'm unsure, but something certainly needs to be done about it. sherlocked

10:54pm Thu 19 Jan 12

theguywhoregistered says...

@Explicit Introvert... absolutely right - I don't intend to cause any problems but it is definitely necessary to highlight these problems as the first step to true recovery is to first realize what the problems are and admit to them, and it's also important that a student's perspective is explicitly explained - hopefully the senior management will respond to this in a positive manner and the results will be productive for the school and for everyone involved within it. It's good to know there are mature people willing to make a difference! I trust the school's reaction will be one that will benefit the current students and future generations to come.
@Explicit Introvert... absolutely right - I don't intend to cause any problems but it is definitely necessary to highlight these problems as the first step to true recovery is to first realize what the problems are and admit to them, and it's also important that a student's perspective is explicitly explained - hopefully the senior management will respond to this in a positive manner and the results will be productive for the school and for everyone involved within it. It's good to know there are mature people willing to make a difference! I trust the school's reaction will be one that will benefit the current students and future generations to come. theguywhoregistered

11:11pm Thu 19 Jan 12

Explicit Introvert says...

On a more positive note, no doubt this will be one of the topics of discussion in the teachers staff room tomorrow lol, but whatever you do, stay anonymous and represent the actual views of the 6th form students and not the 'carefully selected' ones that appear in the 6th form prospectus!

P.S I noticed the green banners on the school gates had been recently updated today, "celebrating a record year of achievement for TGS in 2010", but I'm pretty certain 2011/12's results won't be so overty publicized... ;)
On a more positive note, no doubt this will be one of the topics of discussion in the teachers staff room tomorrow lol, but whatever you do, stay anonymous and represent the actual views of the 6th form students and not the 'carefully selected' ones that appear in the 6th form prospectus! P.S I noticed the green banners on the school gates had been recently updated today, "celebrating a record year of achievement for TGS in 2010", but I'm pretty certain 2011/12's results won't be so overty publicized... ;) Explicit Introvert

11:28pm Thu 19 Jan 12

tgsstudent says...

im a student a 6th form student at thornton grammar school. i have to say i've enjoyed my 6 years at this school. yet i have on various occasions witnessed the slackness in teachers dedication, strictness and communication.

where a normal school!!! just badly run.

the few successful teachers at this have a strict yet approachable relationship with there students. hence there students do so well. and i have to give the maths department credit! these teachers are dedicated and go out of there way to make sure there students achieve to the best of there ability. there are a odd few teachers like this in other departments but still it should be something consistent throughout the whole school. and this is where the school slacks.

a students attitude to learning is based upon the teachers attitude to teaching. student respond to how a teacher comes across e.g if a teacher is a 'push over', has poor attendance, naturally the students attitude towards this teacher and learning will not be productive.


also communication is a big issue in school. from teacher to student, from teacher to teacher. i often overhear teachers complaining about senior staff and there organization and priorities. majority of teachers at this school have amazing knowledge yet a problem would be there incapability of transferring information to students especially when there is a class of rowdy immature students. majority of the teachers to try, yet student attitude is a problem. senior staff seem to run training courses with teachers all the time but from teachers i've heard they feel its a waste of time and they's rather be running workshops!

i do have to say there is lack of communication between the senior staff and the rest of the school. i mean the only time i see senior staff is when i've been given a detention for been late to school or when i sneak across the teachers bridge.

yet, the limited resources and funding we have is also a cause of many issues. you look at other schools in bradford they've all been newly built. i study in two schools and the contrast between them is massive. the other school has endless amounts of facilities, every student has access to portable laptops, the building is fresh and inviting, students enjoy there time at school and are more encouraged to learn because of there environment. and then our school! we lack soo heavy in resources and facilities! and especially in the old building, it is such an old environment and then the TOILETS!! well..... :| . i cant deny that this is a disadvantage and it is unfair and does effect students attitude to learning, which in the long run effects grades. theres only so much we can do as a school with limited resources.

Basically, the school just needs to get its priorities right and try as hard as we can with the limited resources we have. most teachers at this school have amazing knowledge yet its just there teaching methods. which could be altered by running simple courses in this area. and its sad that the only way to get senior staff to listen is for something like this to happen.

maybe the senior staff are doing there best, but obviously the running of the school is not as efficient as it could be. you get a teachers like mr.hussain, mrs comber as headteacher and You'll see changes in this schoool! they know what the students need, they knows what the staff needs and there dedicated, motivated, well respected teachers.

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! we just need real people running the school. non of this putting on a front stuff. we need more passion for student education and grades and we have the potential!! just whatever this schools next move is, i hope its productive and changes get made! TGS! its time to up your game!
im a student a 6th form student at thornton grammar school. i have to say i've enjoyed my 6 years at this school. yet i have on various occasions witnessed the slackness in teachers dedication, strictness and communication. where a normal school!!! just badly run. the few successful teachers at this have a strict yet approachable relationship with there students. hence there students do so well. and i have to give the maths department credit! these teachers are dedicated and go out of there way to make sure there students achieve to the best of there ability. there are a odd few teachers like this in other departments but still it should be something consistent throughout the whole school. and this is where the school slacks. a students attitude to learning is based upon the teachers attitude to teaching. student respond to how a teacher comes across e.g if a teacher is a 'push over', has poor attendance, naturally the students attitude towards this teacher and learning will not be productive. also communication is a big issue in school. from teacher to student, from teacher to teacher. i often overhear teachers complaining about senior staff and there organization and priorities. majority of teachers at this school have amazing knowledge yet a problem would be there incapability of transferring information to students especially when there is a class of rowdy immature students. majority of the teachers to try, yet student attitude is a problem. senior staff seem to run training courses with teachers all the time but from teachers i've heard they feel its a waste of time and they's rather be running workshops! i do have to say there is lack of communication between the senior staff and the rest of the school. i mean the only time i see senior staff is when i've been given a detention for been late to school or when i sneak across the teachers bridge. yet, the limited resources and funding we have is also a cause of many issues. you look at other schools in bradford they've all been newly built. i study in two schools and the contrast between them is massive. the other school has endless amounts of facilities, every student has access to portable laptops, the building is fresh and inviting, students enjoy there time at school and are more encouraged to learn because of there environment. and then our school! we lack soo heavy in resources and facilities! and especially in the old building, it is such an old environment and then the TOILETS!! well..... :| . i cant deny that this is a disadvantage and it is unfair and does effect students attitude to learning, which in the long run effects grades. theres only so much we can do as a school with limited resources. Basically, the school just needs to get its priorities right and try as hard as we can with the limited resources we have. most teachers at this school have amazing knowledge yet its just there teaching methods. which could be altered by running simple courses in this area. and its sad that the only way to get senior staff to listen is for something like this to happen. maybe the senior staff are doing there best, but obviously the running of the school is not as efficient as it could be. you get a teachers like mr.hussain, mrs comber as headteacher and You'll see changes in this schoool! they know what the students need, they knows what the staff needs and there dedicated, motivated, well respected teachers. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! we just need real people running the school. non of this putting on a front stuff. we need more passion for student education and grades and we have the potential!! just whatever this schools next move is, i hope its productive and changes get made! TGS! its time to up your game! tgsstudent

12:00pm Fri 20 Jan 12

tgs4life says...

Okay, so. Most of the things you said are just completely ridiculous.
First of all, if you never learnt anything in your first five years how did you get such good GCSE grades as you claim? Yes, the things we were taught are unworthy because its just taught for the purpose of passing an exam BUT that's the government's choice not schools. I think you'll find that's the way its done in EVERY school. Also, if things were so bad why did you choose to come to this sixth form?
Personally, I've never heard anyone from any school say they've enjoyed their school experience. . Teachers for every single one of my subjects offer to stay behind and help. Maybe you should be a bit more realistic and stop jumping on the bandwaggon.
Okay, so. Most of the things you said are just completely ridiculous. First of all, if you never learnt anything in your first five years how did you get such good GCSE grades as you claim? Yes, the things we were taught are unworthy because its just taught for the purpose of passing an exam BUT that's the government's choice not schools. I think you'll find that's the way its done in EVERY school. Also, if things were so bad why did you choose to come to this sixth form? Personally, I've never heard anyone from any school say they've enjoyed their school experience. . Teachers for every single one of my subjects offer to stay behind and help. Maybe you should be a bit more realistic and stop jumping on the bandwaggon. tgs4life

12:00pm Fri 20 Jan 12

tgs4life says...

Okay, so. Most of the things you said are just completely ridiculous.
First of all, if you never learnt anything in your first five years how did you get such good GCSE grades as you claim? Yes, the things we were taught are unworthy because its just taught for the purpose of passing an exam BUT that's the government's choice not schools. I think you'll find that's the way its done in EVERY school. Also, if things were so bad why did you choose to come to this sixth form?
Personally, I've never heard anyone from any school say they've enjoyed their school experience. . Teachers for every single one of my subjects offer to stay behind and help. Maybe you should be a bit more realistic and stop jumping on the bandwaggon.
Okay, so. Most of the things you said are just completely ridiculous. First of all, if you never learnt anything in your first five years how did you get such good GCSE grades as you claim? Yes, the things we were taught are unworthy because its just taught for the purpose of passing an exam BUT that's the government's choice not schools. I think you'll find that's the way its done in EVERY school. Also, if things were so bad why did you choose to come to this sixth form? Personally, I've never heard anyone from any school say they've enjoyed their school experience. . Teachers for every single one of my subjects offer to stay behind and help. Maybe you should be a bit more realistic and stop jumping on the bandwaggon. tgs4life

3:33pm Fri 20 Jan 12

theguywhoregistered says...

Well- 'if you never learnt anything in your first five years how did you get such good GCSE grades as you claim?...' Simple; as I stated before, the majority of GCSEs required us to simply regurgitate information that we never fully understood. I do not blame the school for this; my frustration is because the SMT enforce so much paperwork that teachers do not have enough time to teach students about the theory and understanding behind what we're being taught.

Anybody who does A-Levels knows that the GCSE standards for knowledge and understanding are dwarfed in comparison with A-Level work. This school should be trying to improve itself - the most efficient way to achieve that would be to minimise the paperwork staff have to do so they have less stress and more time for students out of school time (as learning particular things about a concept is difficult - especially in class with the already limited time due to the specific requirements of the curriculum) - which is when students can learn the ins and outs of their subjects.

'Also, if things were so bad why did you choose to come to this sixth form?' Because I wanted to do maths - as I have stated before (and others have agreed) the Maths department make an outstanding effort to develop deep understanding of concepts learned in class. Now that I'm in A-Level I am benefiting from a curriculum that encourages more understanding in all subjects, but if I had been exposed to that way of thinking at GCSE then I would not have to struggle so much now.
‘Maybe you should be a bit more realistic and stop jumping on the bandwaggon.’ Well I’m sorry that expressing my concerns about how the current state of affairs demoralises both staff and students is ‘jumping on the bandwaggon’, but what a worthy bandwagon to jump on, eh?
Well- 'if you never learnt anything in your first five years how did you get such good GCSE grades as you claim?...' Simple; as I stated before, the majority of GCSEs required us to simply regurgitate information that we never fully understood. I do not blame the school for this; my frustration is because the SMT enforce so much paperwork that teachers do not have enough time to teach students about the theory and understanding behind what we're being taught. Anybody who does A-Levels knows that the GCSE standards for knowledge and understanding are dwarfed in comparison with A-Level work. This school should be trying to improve itself - the most efficient way to achieve that would be to minimise the paperwork staff have to do so they have less stress and more time for students out of school time (as learning particular things about a concept is difficult - especially in class with the already limited time due to the specific requirements of the curriculum) - which is when students can learn the ins and outs of their subjects. 'Also, if things were so bad why did you choose to come to this sixth form?' Because I wanted to do maths - as I have stated before (and others have agreed) the Maths department make an outstanding effort to develop deep understanding of concepts learned in class. Now that I'm in A-Level I am benefiting from a curriculum that encourages more understanding in all subjects, but if I had been exposed to that way of thinking at GCSE then I would not have to struggle so much now. ‘Maybe you should be a bit more realistic and stop jumping on the bandwaggon.’ Well I’m sorry that expressing my concerns about how the current state of affairs demoralises both staff and students is ‘jumping on the bandwaggon’, but what a worthy bandwagon to jump on, eh? theguywhoregistered

3:00pm Thu 2 Feb 12

TGS ex pupil says...

Reading the above comments, I have an enormous feeling of deja-vu here. I left Thornton in 2002, having done both A levels and GCSE's there. Then, the buildings were new (certainly some of them were) to accomodate the new years 7 and 8.
GCSE's at that time on the whole were good, taught from a text book, but the teachers were good, and knew what they were talking about so could educate.
At A level, this changed. The teaching was terrible, facilities were poor, lecturers didn’t turn up and so on. This was brought to the attention of the head of the school at the time (and I know that for a fact). But it appears that nothing has changed.
I still have some contact with the school, and it appears that, although some good teachers remain (Mrs Komber and Mr Clarke to name just two) ,most of the better teachers have left (such as Mr Matthews, Stephenson etc to name but two) and been replaced by less competent teachers who don’t have the backing of senior management.
The building of the senior management bridge changed the way the school was ran. Prior to this the senior management mixed with teachers and students, and were easily approachable. After it was built, the same people turned into arrogant unapproachable snobs, a view shared by students and teachers alike.
It’s a shame that a once good school is now in such a poor state. But, having had nearly 10 years to respond to issues raised by my year, still nothing has been done. The world has moved on, and left Thornton well and truly behind.
Maybe the same is required with Thornton as has happened with RBS- remove the people at the top who are too big for their own boots, and replace them with caring people who will benefit the school, the area, the students and the staff, rather than line their own pockets. But, until it hits the bottom, like RBS did, nothing will be done about it!
My advice….. look elsewhere for a better education. And to those of you there in 6th form, don’t make the mistake that I did, get out while you can… it will benefit you when you get to uni!
Reading the above comments, I have an enormous feeling of deja-vu here. I left Thornton in 2002, having done both A levels and GCSE's there. Then, the buildings were new (certainly some of them were) to accomodate the new years 7 and 8. GCSE's at that time on the whole were good, taught from a text book, but the teachers were good, and knew what they were talking about so could educate. At A level, this changed. The teaching was terrible, facilities were poor, lecturers didn’t turn up and so on. This was brought to the attention of the head of the school at the time (and I know that for a fact). But it appears that nothing has changed. I still have some contact with the school, and it appears that, although some good teachers remain (Mrs Komber and Mr Clarke to name just two) ,most of the better teachers have left (such as Mr Matthews, Stephenson etc to name but two) and been replaced by less competent teachers who don’t have the backing of senior management. The building of the senior management bridge changed the way the school was ran. Prior to this the senior management mixed with teachers and students, and were easily approachable. After it was built, the same people turned into arrogant unapproachable snobs, a view shared by students and teachers alike. It’s a shame that a once good school is now in such a poor state. But, having had nearly 10 years to respond to issues raised by my year, still nothing has been done. The world has moved on, and left Thornton well and truly behind. Maybe the same is required with Thornton as has happened with RBS- remove the people at the top who are too big for their own boots, and replace them with caring people who will benefit the school, the area, the students and the staff, rather than line their own pockets. But, until it hits the bottom, like RBS did, nothing will be done about it! My advice….. look elsewhere for a better education. And to those of you there in 6th form, don’t make the mistake that I did, get out while you can… it will benefit you when you get to uni! TGS ex pupil

3:00pm Thu 2 Feb 12

TGS ex pupil says...

Reading the above comments, I have an enormous feeling of deja-vu here. I left Thornton in 2002, having done both A levels and GCSE's there. Then, the buildings were new (certainly some of them were) to accomodate the new years 7 and 8.
GCSE's at that time on the whole were good, taught from a text book, but the teachers were good, and knew what they were talking about so could educate.
At A level, this changed. The teaching was terrible, facilities were poor, lecturers didn’t turn up and so on. This was brought to the attention of the head of the school at the time (and I know that for a fact). But it appears that nothing has changed.
I still have some contact with the school, and it appears that, although some good teachers remain (Mrs Komber and Mr Clarke to name just two) ,most of the better teachers have left (such as Mr Matthews, Stephenson etc to name but two) and been replaced by less competent teachers who don’t have the backing of senior management.
The building of the senior management bridge changed the way the school was ran. Prior to this the senior management mixed with teachers and students, and were easily approachable. After it was built, the same people turned into arrogant unapproachable snobs, a view shared by students and teachers alike.
It’s a shame that a once good school is now in such a poor state. But, having had nearly 10 years to respond to issues raised by my year, still nothing has been done. The world has moved on, and left Thornton well and truly behind.
Maybe the same is required with Thornton as has happened with RBS- remove the people at the top who are too big for their own boots, and replace them with caring people who will benefit the school, the area, the students and the staff, rather than line their own pockets. But, until it hits the bottom, like RBS did, nothing will be done about it!
My advice….. look elsewhere for a better education. And to those of you there in 6th form, don’t make the mistake that I did, get out while you can… it will benefit you when you get to uni!
Reading the above comments, I have an enormous feeling of deja-vu here. I left Thornton in 2002, having done both A levels and GCSE's there. Then, the buildings were new (certainly some of them were) to accomodate the new years 7 and 8. GCSE's at that time on the whole were good, taught from a text book, but the teachers were good, and knew what they were talking about so could educate. At A level, this changed. The teaching was terrible, facilities were poor, lecturers didn’t turn up and so on. This was brought to the attention of the head of the school at the time (and I know that for a fact). But it appears that nothing has changed. I still have some contact with the school, and it appears that, although some good teachers remain (Mrs Komber and Mr Clarke to name just two) ,most of the better teachers have left (such as Mr Matthews, Stephenson etc to name but two) and been replaced by less competent teachers who don’t have the backing of senior management. The building of the senior management bridge changed the way the school was ran. Prior to this the senior management mixed with teachers and students, and were easily approachable. After it was built, the same people turned into arrogant unapproachable snobs, a view shared by students and teachers alike. It’s a shame that a once good school is now in such a poor state. But, having had nearly 10 years to respond to issues raised by my year, still nothing has been done. The world has moved on, and left Thornton well and truly behind. Maybe the same is required with Thornton as has happened with RBS- remove the people at the top who are too big for their own boots, and replace them with caring people who will benefit the school, the area, the students and the staff, rather than line their own pockets. But, until it hits the bottom, like RBS did, nothing will be done about it! My advice….. look elsewhere for a better education. And to those of you there in 6th form, don’t make the mistake that I did, get out while you can… it will benefit you when you get to uni! TGS ex pupil

5:50pm Thu 2 Feb 12

Explicit Introvert says...

Wow I guess this does go a LOT deeper than I personally thought!
Wow I guess this does go a LOT deeper than I personally thought! Explicit Introvert

3:32pm Tue 7 Feb 12

tgs student says...

The least ofsted and others looking their nose down at tgs is appreciate the fact that number 1) Mr Sampson - the deputy head has let students raise funds through school for various charities! Secondly, which other deputy head in Bradford would hire a specialist maths tutor to come into school and help year 11 students who are underachieving in maths at GCSE? None - that's the answer! Mr C Truelove at tgs has encouraged students to attend these classes before school starts and after school to boost their GCSE grade! If that's not improvement then I don't know what is. Also, he's even offered his own time to take the school mini bus and pick those students taking part to be picked up by him, personally.
At least tgs has the courage to cooperate with ofsted and improve standards, unlike others!!!
The least ofsted and others looking their nose down at tgs is appreciate the fact that number 1) Mr Sampson - the deputy head has let students raise funds through school for various charities! Secondly, which other deputy head in Bradford would hire a specialist maths tutor to come into school and help year 11 students who are underachieving in maths at GCSE? None - that's the answer! Mr C Truelove at tgs has encouraged students to attend these classes before school starts and after school to boost their GCSE grade! If that's not improvement then I don't know what is. Also, he's even offered his own time to take the school mini bus and pick those students taking part to be picked up by him, personally. At least tgs has the courage to cooperate with ofsted and improve standards, unlike others!!! tgs student

3:35pm Tue 7 Feb 12

tgs student says...

Every school in Bradford is failing and to be fair, at least tgs is doing something about it!
Every school in Bradford is failing and to be fair, at least tgs is doing something about it! tgs student

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree