TWO teenagers caught on camera kicking and punching a defenceless man in a “cowardly and wicked” late-night attack in Bradford city centre have been spared immediate custodial sentences.

Toyaib Mahmood, 18, of Cockroft Grove, Barkerend, Bradford, and a 16-year-old youth, who cannot be named because of his age, joined in a group assault on Mateusz Watroba at 10pm on February 22.

Mr Watroba was first set upon by the gang on Sunbridge Road, prosecutor Jo Shepherd told Bradford Crown Court yesterday.

He was walking home from work and heading for a bus stop when a male tried to trip him up.

He was then knocked to the ground and kicked by a group of youths, including the two defendants.

Mr Watroba managed to get to his feet and reach the City Park, in the city centre, where he was again attacked.

Miss Shepherd said he was punched, kicked and stamped on by his assailants, including Mahmood and the youth.

Mr Watroba was heard to cry out in pain after someone shouted: “Get him.”

He was protected by a woman who shielded his body from the attackers, the court was told.

The police arrived and the defendants were detained.

Mr Watroba was treated at Bradford Royal Infirmary for injuries including a swollen and bloodied nose.

Mahmood, who was 17 at the time, made no comment to the police.

He and the boy, who was 15, then claimed they were acting in self defence.

Both went on to plead guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Nigel Jamieson, Mahmood’s barrister, said he was due to start college next month.

He had no previous convictions and was not involved in the initial violence against Mr Watroba.

Ayesha Smart, representing the youth, said he joined in a fight that had already started.

He was very remorseful and planned to take a course to train as a motor mechanic.

Judge Neil Davey QC sentenced Mahmood to 12 months in a young offender institution, suspended for 12 months.

He was also given a rehabilitation activity requirement along with 120 hours of unpaid work.

The 16-year-old was sentenced to a six month youth rehabilitation order with a three month curfew order.

Judge Davey labelled it a “cowardly and wicked attack” on a defenceless and wholly innocent young man.

“He was alone at night, trapped and outnumbered,” he said.