Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Bradford couple's shock as pile of waste is dumped on driveway
7:00am Saturday 20th October 2012 in News
Horrified pensioners who responded to an advert for free bonfire wood spoke of their shock as tonnes of “dangerous” waste was dumped on the driveway of their Bradford home.
Carole Ver, 68, believed she was going to receive a delivery of old flooring, skirting boards and wood after taking up the offer for firewood, but said she was appalled when a wagon emptied demolition waste, including suspected asbestos, loft insulation and metal piping outside her home in Allerton Road yesterday.
She and her elderly neighbours, whose cars have been blocked in by the rubbish pile, spent all day working to clear the area and will now have to hire a skip to dispose of the waste.
“I just couldn’t believe it,” Mrs Ver said. “I couldn’t put any of that on a bonfire, it would be dangerous. It’s absolutely appalling.”
Mrs Ver responded to an advert she had seen offering free bonfire wood with free local delivery, which asked people to contact a woman called Julie.
“I called earlier this week and spoke to a man, who said they had flooring, skirting boards and wood – all things suitable for a bonfire,” she said. “In the morning, a woman called to arrange delivery and we left the gate to the lane open so they could get in.
“I was indoors on the phone when I heard a loud noise from the rubbish being dumped. When I walked outside I couldn’t believe what I saw.
“My husband, Steven, had been outside waiting for them to arrive, but couldn’t see what was in the wagon until they emptied it and drove off. I was shocked.”
Mrs Ver’s neighbour, Christine Hallam, said they had been planning to use the wood for a bonfire and in wood burners.
“The pile is absolutely enormous,” she said. “It’s full of polystyrene, fibreglass, metal and bricks. It’s an environmental health risk.”
The residents called the number in the advert, but say the person who answered claimed to have no knowledge of what had happened.
The phone number listed is the same as that of a Holme Wood company called Refurb Assist Limited, although the Telegraph & Argus was unable to contact it last night.
An Environmental Health officer visited the scene yesterday and will return next week to investigate. Mrs Ver has contacted West Yorkshire Trading Standards to complain.