Zain Khan appears before magistrates over death of Bilal Khizar

Man, 21, appears in court charged with causing death by dangerous driving of boy, 12

Man, 21, appears in court charged with causing death by dangerous driving of boy, 12

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter

A man, accused of driving a speeding car which struck and killed popular Bradford schoolboy Bilal Khizar, has been remanded in custody.

Zain Khan, 21, is charged with causing death by dangerous driving, perverting the course of justice and other motoring offences, in connection with the accident, which happened near to the Asda superstore in Rooley Lane, Bierley, Bradford, last Saturday.

Bradford Academy pupil Bilal, 12, was crossing the road with his scooter when he was in collision with a red Seat Ibiza at 7pm.

Bradford and Keighley Magistrates Court was told yesterday (Wed) that Bilal had been on his way home from a friend’s house when the incident happened. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Khan, of Halifax, appeared in the secure dock with his co-accused, Sara Hughes, 21, also of Halifax, who is charged with perverting the course of justice.

Bearded Khan, who was dressed in a fawn hooded cardigan, dark shirt and dark jeans, and long dark-haired Hughes, who was wearing a black top and black casual trousers, spoke only to confirm their names, addresses and dates of birth.

They were flanked by four burly security officers for the 45-minute hearing. Hughes, the mother of a young daughter, sobbed at times.

Members of Bilal’s family sat at the back of the packed court as prosecutor Samantha Davidson outlined the case. Relatives of both defendants were also in court.

Mrs Davidson applied for Khan and Hughes to be remanded in custody.

She said Bilal lived with his parents and three siblings. He was a popular boy and his death had caused outrage in the community.

Solicitors Bilal Khan, representing Khan, and Adrees Younis, for Hughes, applied for bail for their clients.

But Deputy District Judge Peter Hollingworth remanded both defendants into custody. He ruled their full addresses could not be revealed under the Contempt of Court Act.

He committed their cases to Bradford Crown Court, where they will next appear on October 17.

Mr Hollingworth told them: “These are extremely serious charges, and in the event of conviction no doubt lengthy custodial sentences will be imposed.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree