Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Asbestos blamed for former Navy man's death
4:45pm Friday 5th October 2012 in News
A former Royal Marine who worked in submarines in the 1940s has died from being exposed to asbestos, an inquest has heard today.
Married Bradford man Terence Mangan, 81, had spent seven years from 1947 in the Royal Navy working in its submarines which were lagged with the deadly sustance – he was based on HMS Ceylon. Mr Mangan died on January 24 this year at Ashcroft Nursing Home, in Kelvin Way, Holme Wood.
He was diagnosed in May 2011 with a lung disease which showed up asbestos fibres.
A Bradford inquest today heard how Mr Mangan, who also had a history of stomach cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis, had gone on to work at other jobs after he left the Navy.
In 1954 he got a job removing fireplaces and chimneys which would also have contained asbestos and then in 1956 he went to work for English Electric, spending most of his time removing boilers and pipes lagged with the lethal fibres.
When he retired it was as a Royal Mail manager.
A post mortem said the cause of his death was broncho pneumonia but asbestosis and emphysema were contributory factors.
Bradford coroner Peter Straker said: “The only verdict to consider is industrial disease – a disease caused by work.
“It’s not necessary to conclude which one caused it, as long as I’m satisfied it was one of them.”