Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Man killed by chip pan fire in Horton Bank Top
A chip pan fire has claimed the life of a Bradford man.
The man, named locally as Gi Brear and believed to be in his 40s, was found dead in the living room of the stone terraced home in Beacon Road, Horton Bank Top .
Police discovered the tragedy at 11.40am yesterday after a member of the public raised the alarm in concern for Mr Brear’s safety.
When a fire crew arrived minutes later, alerted by police, a smoke detector was still sounding but the blaze had burned itself out, said Odsal Watch Commander Anthony Williams.
Mr Brear’s death has also prompted a fire chief to urge neighbours to look out for people if they hear a smoke detector sounding, saying it could save lives.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Craig McIntosh, director of the West Yorkshire’s brigade’s service delivery, said: "If you hear a smoke detector and you can't rule out the risk of fire, ring 999. In this case, it could have made a difference between life and death.”
Mr McIntosh also issued a warning about the risks of people using chip pans after drinking alcohol.
He said: “We strongly advise against the use of chip pans, especially after drinking alcohol, as this increases the risk of a fire occurring in the first place and a person's ability to be able to react to a smoke alarm and escape if it does catch fire.”
Last night Mr Brear’s family were at the house, where it is understood he lived alone, but were too upset to speak. A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said she did not know Mr Brear very well but he was “a friendly sort of chap who’d say hello”.
She said: “I never heard any buzzing of a smoke detector. I left for work after seven and didn’t hear a thing.”
The full circumstances of Mr Brear’s death continue to be investigated by fire experts although police have ruled out foul play.
The Bradford Coroner’s office has been informed and an inquest will be held at a later date. Less than two hours after Mr Brear’s body was found, Odsal firefighters were called to another chip pan fire in Frensham Drive, Great Horton .
Watch Commander Mr Williams said: “This time the occupier got out safely. Chip pans should never be left unattended – better still put them in the bin.”
Firefighters were yesterday visiting homes in the Beacon Road area offering safety advice and fitting free smoke detectors.
For advice on safety in the home visit westyorksfire.gov.uk/at-home.