Pubs from Bradford district listed in CAMRA Good Beer Guide

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Mick and Linda Capper, licensees of The Ring O’Bells in Shipley Mick and Linda Capper, licensees of The Ring O’Bells in Shipley

Five of the district’s pubs have made it into the Good Beer Guide for the first time.

The 2013 Guide, which published its 40th edition today, features the best 4,500 real ale pubs across the UK.

The 143,000 members of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) update and revise the guide every year.

New entries in the district are The Sparrow Bier Cafe in North Parade, Bradford; The Ginger Goose in Market Street, Bradford; The Friendly at Stanbury , near Haworth , The George Hotel at Cullingworth , and the Ring O’ Bells in Shipley .

Mick and Linda Capper have been at The Ring O’Bells since 2001 and have both been licensees since 1979. It is believed to be the oldest pub in Shipley. Mr Capper said: “I’m over the moon. It’s taken a lot of hard work. It’s always good to be in a publication like that.

“The market trend is for traditional beers and that’s what we’ve got and all of ours are all fairly local.”

Two Otley pubs, The Bowling Green in Bondgate and The Fleece in Westgate, have also made it into the guide for the first time.

Mick Moss, CAMRA’s Yorkshire regional director, said: “The Good Beer Guide has always been about celebrating the best community pubs serving a high standard of real ale.

“To this day, the guide remains completely independent and driven by the hard work of CAMRA members surveying their local pubs to ensure readers enjoy the perfect pint of real ale.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:24am Thu 13 Sep 12

Albion. says...

Standards have obviously slipped.
Standards have obviously slipped. Albion.
  • Score: 0

10:57am Thu 13 Sep 12

MontyLeMar says...

There are some very good pubs around Bradford, just a matter of knowing where to look. Most of the Pubco pubs should be avoided, which is easy enough because they are usually shut and have a 'For Sale' sign fixed to the front wall - visit Jacob's Well or Old Bank for example. I think they are running out of punters to fleece.
There are some very good pubs around Bradford, just a matter of knowing where to look. Most of the Pubco pubs should be avoided, which is easy enough because they are usually shut and have a 'For Sale' sign fixed to the front wall - visit Jacob's Well or Old Bank for example. I think they are running out of punters to fleece. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

11:07am Thu 13 Sep 12

bazzathetyke says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
There are some very good pubs around Bradford, just a matter of knowing where to look. Most of the Pubco pubs should be avoided, which is easy enough because they are usually shut and have a 'For Sale' sign fixed to the front wall - visit Jacob's Well or Old Bank for example. I think they are running out of punters to fleece.
I agree..I see jacobs Well's doors are closed again..a few months after it was re-opened to much fanfare and optimism..The Old Bank would do well now with the bus stop outside it
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: There are some very good pubs around Bradford, just a matter of knowing where to look. Most of the Pubco pubs should be avoided, which is easy enough because they are usually shut and have a 'For Sale' sign fixed to the front wall - visit Jacob's Well or Old Bank for example. I think they are running out of punters to fleece.[/p][/quote]I agree..I see jacobs Well's doors are closed again..a few months after it was re-opened to much fanfare and optimism..The Old Bank would do well now with the bus stop outside it bazzathetyke
  • Score: 0

11:35am Thu 13 Sep 12

Billyboyarnold says...

Albion. wrote:
Standards have obviously slipped.
Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Standards have obviously slipped.[/p][/quote]Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull. Billyboyarnold
  • Score: 0

11:41am Thu 13 Sep 12

Albion. says...

Billyboyarnold wrote:
Albion. wrote:
Standards have obviously slipped.
Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.
I was referring to the one that is the main feature in the report.
These things are always a matter of personal opinion......one mans meat etc.
[quote][p][bold]Billyboyarnold[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Standards have obviously slipped.[/p][/quote]Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.[/p][/quote]I was referring to the one that is the main feature in the report. These things are always a matter of personal opinion......one mans meat etc. Albion.
  • Score: 0

12:13pm Thu 13 Sep 12

MontyLeMar says...

Albion. wrote:
Billyboyarnold wrote:
Albion. wrote:
Standards have obviously slipped.
Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.
I was referring to the one that is the main feature in the report.
These things are always a matter of personal opinion......one mans meat etc.
Yes, you must choose your pubs carefully. I've been in a couple over the last few months which to my surprise had got on the 'Real Ale' trail when before they were only selling cream-flow. I wasn't too surprised when I found that the 'Real Ale' they placed in front of me tasted like vinegar. Luckily they didn't quibble when I asked for something else, but , I mean, you shouldn't have to. Just wish Saltaire would provide proper training when they are supplying pumps and 'Real Ale' to novices.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billyboyarnold[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Standards have obviously slipped.[/p][/quote]Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.[/p][/quote]I was referring to the one that is the main feature in the report. These things are always a matter of personal opinion......one mans meat etc.[/p][/quote]Yes, you must choose your pubs carefully. I've been in a couple over the last few months which to my surprise had got on the 'Real Ale' trail when before they were only selling cream-flow. I wasn't too surprised when I found that the 'Real Ale' they placed in front of me tasted like vinegar. Luckily they didn't quibble when I asked for something else, but , I mean, you shouldn't have to. Just wish Saltaire would provide proper training when they are supplying pumps and 'Real Ale' to novices. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

12:24pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Bone_idle18 says...

Not forgetting the Junction at Baildon, who was pub of the year a couple of years ago, not sure why it's not included as the standard of beer and hospitality remain the same.

I think there's a lot of Politics in CAMRA, as other pubs that should eb included are the Corn Dolly, FightingCock, Beehive, Haigys.

Plus there's consistently good beer on offer at the symposium in Idle too.
Not forgetting the Junction at Baildon, who was pub of the year a couple of years ago, not sure why it's not included as the standard of beer and hospitality remain the same. I think there's a lot of Politics in CAMRA, as other pubs that should eb included are the Corn Dolly, FightingCock, Beehive, Haigys. Plus there's consistently good beer on offer at the symposium in Idle too. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Billyboyarnold says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Not forgetting the Junction at Baildon, who was pub of the year a couple of years ago, not sure why it's not included as the standard of beer and hospitality remain the same.

I think there's a lot of Politics in CAMRA, as other pubs that should eb included are the Corn Dolly, FightingCock, Beehive, Haigys.

Plus there's consistently good beer on offer at the symposium in Idle too.
I used to own this pub, I think you will find it is still in there. Brighton Bill
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Not forgetting the Junction at Baildon, who was pub of the year a couple of years ago, not sure why it's not included as the standard of beer and hospitality remain the same. I think there's a lot of Politics in CAMRA, as other pubs that should eb included are the Corn Dolly, FightingCock, Beehive, Haigys. Plus there's consistently good beer on offer at the symposium in Idle too.[/p][/quote]I used to own this pub, I think you will find it is still in there. Brighton Bill Billyboyarnold
  • Score: 0

12:47pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Billyboyarnold says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
Albion. wrote:
Billyboyarnold wrote:
Albion. wrote:
Standards have obviously slipped.
Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.
I was referring to the one that is the main feature in the report.
These things are always a matter of personal opinion......one mans meat etc.
Yes, you must choose your pubs carefully. I've been in a couple over the last few months which to my surprise had got on the 'Real Ale' trail when before they were only selling cream-flow. I wasn't too surprised when I found that the 'Real Ale' they placed in front of me tasted like vinegar. Luckily they didn't quibble when I asked for something else, but , I mean, you shouldn't have to. Just wish Saltaire would provide proper training when they are supplying pumps and 'Real Ale' to novices.
As the Camra BLO (Brewery Liaison Officer) for this Brewery I will mention your comments to the main man at Saltaire Brewery, I am sure your very wise comments will be acted on, and I agree with you 100%. Brighton Bill.
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billyboyarnold[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Standards have obviously slipped.[/p][/quote]Not in the "Real Ale" bars they haven't, some excellent pubs in our Area, "Sparrow Bar", "CornDolly", "Haigy's", "Bee Hive", "Fighting ****" all bars not to be missed. Brighton Bill Yorkshire Seagull.[/p][/quote]I was referring to the one that is the main feature in the report. These things are always a matter of personal opinion......one mans meat etc.[/p][/quote]Yes, you must choose your pubs carefully. I've been in a couple over the last few months which to my surprise had got on the 'Real Ale' trail when before they were only selling cream-flow. I wasn't too surprised when I found that the 'Real Ale' they placed in front of me tasted like vinegar. Luckily they didn't quibble when I asked for something else, but , I mean, you shouldn't have to. Just wish Saltaire would provide proper training when they are supplying pumps and 'Real Ale' to novices.[/p][/quote]As the Camra BLO (Brewery Liaison Officer) for this Brewery I will mention your comments to the main man at Saltaire Brewery, I am sure your very wise comments will be acted on, and I agree with you 100%. Brighton Bill. Billyboyarnold
  • Score: 0

1:12pm Thu 13 Sep 12

allannicho says...

Traditional beers like Tetleys, Carling
and Carlsberg eh!
Traditional beers like Tetleys, Carling and Carlsberg eh! allannicho
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Thu 13 Sep 12

basil fawlty says...

The article is about pubs selected for the first time. No doubt the old faithfuls like the Fighting **** will still be in there.
The article is about pubs selected for the first time. No doubt the old faithfuls like the Fighting **** will still be in there. basil fawlty
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Billyboyarnold says...

It's in there "Basil"
It's in there "Basil" Billyboyarnold
  • Score: 0

3:24pm Thu 13 Sep 12

JAtkinson says...

Well done to all. Live in Shipley but Ring O' Bells wrong side form me; will make sure I get up there... and to the others :-P
Well done to all. Live in Shipley but Ring O' Bells wrong side form me; will make sure I get up there... and to the others :-P JAtkinson
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Thu 13 Sep 12

JAtkinson says...

Albion. wrote:
Standards have obviously slipped.
Have you ever been or is this the usual negative bile which spills forth on every story?
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Standards have obviously slipped.[/p][/quote]Have you ever been or is this the usual negative bile which spills forth on every story? JAtkinson
  • Score: 0

3:56pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Billyboyarnold says...

Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.
Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill. Billyboyarnold
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Albion. says...

JAtkinson wrote:
Albion. wrote:
Standards have obviously slipped.
Have you ever been or is this the usual negative bile which spills forth on every story?
I have been and the place was dirty and the beer was horrible, I wasn't impressed with the catering but that isn't the issue here.
As I said "these things are just opinions".
We went elsewhere and enjoyed the food and drink.
I remember Mick when he had the Cup and Ring and I used to visit the Ring O Bells quite often before he had it.
So, yes, "negative bile" and deserved in my opinion.
[quote][p][bold]JAtkinson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Standards have obviously slipped.[/p][/quote]Have you ever been or is this the usual negative bile which spills forth on every story?[/p][/quote]I have been and the place was dirty and the beer was horrible, I wasn't impressed with the catering but that isn't the issue here. As I said "these things are just opinions". We went elsewhere and enjoyed the food and drink. I remember Mick when he had the Cup and Ring and I used to visit the Ring O Bells quite often before he had it. So, yes, "negative bile" and deserved in my opinion. Albion.
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Mike Strutter says...

Billyboyarnold wrote:
Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.
Most decent landlords wouldn't hold up a pint of Tets in place of a real ale !

Some good pubs in Bratfud but too spread out. Halifax and a quick hop on a train to Sowerby Bridge is much better
[quote][p][bold]Billyboyarnold[/bold] wrote: Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.[/p][/quote]Most decent landlords wouldn't hold up a pint of Tets in place of a real ale ! Some good pubs in Bratfud but too spread out. Halifax and a quick hop on a train to Sowerby Bridge is much better Mike Strutter
  • Score: 0

7:11pm Thu 13 Sep 12

MontyLeMar says...

Mike Strutter wrote:
Billyboyarnold wrote:
Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.
Most decent landlords wouldn't hold up a pint of Tets in place of a real ale !

Some good pubs in Bratfud but too spread out. Halifax and a quick hop on a train to Sowerby Bridge is much better
I don't know what your constitution is like but by the time I've walked between The Corn Dolly, Shoulder of Mutton, City Vaults, Ginger Goose, Sir Titus Salt, The Sparrow, New Beehive, Haigys, Fighting C0ck.. I'm blathered anyway. All good pubs. Too spread out? There's more than a normal man can handle in a square mile round the city centre.
[quote][p][bold]Mike Strutter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billyboyarnold[/bold] wrote: Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.[/p][/quote]Most decent landlords wouldn't hold up a pint of Tets in place of a real ale ! Some good pubs in Bratfud but too spread out. Halifax and a quick hop on a train to Sowerby Bridge is much better[/p][/quote]I don't know what your constitution is like but by the time I've walked between The Corn Dolly, Shoulder of Mutton, City Vaults, Ginger Goose, Sir Titus Salt, The Sparrow, New Beehive, Haigys, Fighting C0ck.. I'm blathered anyway. All good pubs. Too spread out? There's more than a normal man can handle in a square mile round the city centre. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

7:23pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Mike Strutter says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
Mike Strutter wrote:
Billyboyarnold wrote:
Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.
Most decent landlords wouldn't hold up a pint of Tets in place of a real ale !

Some good pubs in Bratfud but too spread out. Halifax and a quick hop on a train to Sowerby Bridge is much better
I don't know what your constitution is like but by the time I've walked between The Corn Dolly, Shoulder of Mutton, City Vaults, Ginger Goose, Sir Titus Salt, The Sparrow, New Beehive, Haigys, Fighting C0ck.. I'm blathered anyway. All good pubs. Too spread out? There's more than a normal man can handle in a square mile round the city centre.
Titus Salt ? Come on for christs sake !
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Strutter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billyboyarnold[/bold] wrote: Well done the "Ring O' Bells" I have known the Landlord Mick for a long time and I know he is dedicated to looking after his beers, if you have a bad pint anywhere, just give it back, all decent landlords will swap it without arguing. Brighton Bill.[/p][/quote]Most decent landlords wouldn't hold up a pint of Tets in place of a real ale ! Some good pubs in Bratfud but too spread out. Halifax and a quick hop on a train to Sowerby Bridge is much better[/p][/quote]I don't know what your constitution is like but by the time I've walked between The Corn Dolly, Shoulder of Mutton, City Vaults, Ginger Goose, Sir Titus Salt, The Sparrow, New Beehive, Haigys, Fighting C0ck.. I'm blathered anyway. All good pubs. Too spread out? There's more than a normal man can handle in a square mile round the city centre.[/p][/quote]Titus Salt ? Come on for christs sake ! Mike Strutter
  • Score: 0

6:30am Fri 14 Sep 12

allannicho says...

Wetherspoons for me, choice
and price.
Wetherspoons for me, choice and price. allannicho
  • Score: 0

9:25am Fri 14 Sep 12

MontyLeMar says...

allannicho wrote:
Wetherspoons for me, choice
and price.
I'll drink to that.
[quote][p][bold]allannicho[/bold] wrote: Wetherspoons for me, choice and price.[/p][/quote]I'll drink to that. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Fri 14 Sep 12

Mike Strutter says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
allannicho wrote:
Wetherspoons for me, choice
and price.
I'll drink to that.
Obviously not a real ale fan then !

Cheap beer often near its sell by date which tastes nothing like the equivalent served in a real ale house .

I'd personally rather pay extra for a good pint rather than the dross dished up in a Wetherspoons
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]allannicho[/bold] wrote: Wetherspoons for me, choice and price.[/p][/quote]I'll drink to that.[/p][/quote]Obviously not a real ale fan then ! Cheap beer often near its sell by date which tastes nothing like the equivalent served in a real ale house . I'd personally rather pay extra for a good pint rather than the dross dished up in a Wetherspoons Mike Strutter
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Fri 14 Sep 12

MontyLeMar says...

Mike Strutter wrote:
MontyLeMar wrote:
allannicho wrote:
Wetherspoons for me, choice
and price.
I'll drink to that.
Obviously not a real ale fan then !

Cheap beer often near its sell by date which tastes nothing like the equivalent served in a real ale house .

I'd personally rather pay extra for a good pint rather than the dross dished up in a Wetherspoons
I must admit I go in for the architecture as much as anything. What he's done to the Sir Titus is interesting, but when I find Saltaire Blonde selling at £1.99 in Bingley/Shipley and others charging £2.80 I swallow my pride and imbibe. Besides Tim Martin is one of the most high profile anti-euro people going and deserves support if you agree with his stance. I also do not hold the view that an expensive pint is necessarily a better pint. It's all down to the training and experience of the bar staff and 'Spoons do train their bar staff. Also there are too many local CAMRA branches who often vote for their local 'Spoons as Pubs of the Season for it to be coincidence. Let's not be snobby about price. I suppose you reckon that the CAMRA campaign to kill the Beer Duty Escalator is a load of nonsense too? The price of a pint is too high.
[quote][p][bold]Mike Strutter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]allannicho[/bold] wrote: Wetherspoons for me, choice and price.[/p][/quote]I'll drink to that.[/p][/quote]Obviously not a real ale fan then ! Cheap beer often near its sell by date which tastes nothing like the equivalent served in a real ale house . I'd personally rather pay extra for a good pint rather than the dross dished up in a Wetherspoons[/p][/quote]I must admit I go in for the architecture as much as anything. What he's done to the Sir Titus is interesting, but when I find Saltaire Blonde selling at £1.99 in Bingley/Shipley and others charging £2.80 I swallow my pride and imbibe. Besides Tim Martin is one of the most high profile anti-euro people going and deserves support if you agree with his stance. I also do not hold the view that an expensive pint is necessarily a better pint. It's all down to the training and experience of the bar staff and 'Spoons do train their bar staff. Also there are too many local CAMRA branches who often vote for their local 'Spoons as Pubs of the Season for it to be coincidence. Let's not be snobby about price. I suppose you reckon that the CAMRA campaign to kill the Beer Duty Escalator is a load of nonsense too? The price of a pint is too high. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

6:12pm Fri 14 Sep 12

Mike Strutter says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
Mike Strutter wrote:
MontyLeMar wrote:
allannicho wrote:
Wetherspoons for me, choice
and price.
I'll drink to that.
Obviously not a real ale fan then !

Cheap beer often near its sell by date which tastes nothing like the equivalent served in a real ale house .

I'd personally rather pay extra for a good pint rather than the dross dished up in a Wetherspoons
I must admit I go in for the architecture as much as anything. What he's done to the Sir Titus is interesting, but when I find Saltaire Blonde selling at £1.99 in Bingley/Shipley and others charging £2.80 I swallow my pride and imbibe. Besides Tim Martin is one of the most high profile anti-euro people going and deserves support if you agree with his stance. I also do not hold the view that an expensive pint is necessarily a better pint. It's all down to the training and experience of the bar staff and 'Spoons do train their bar staff. Also there are too many local CAMRA branches who often vote for their local 'Spoons as Pubs of the Season for it to be coincidence. Let's not be snobby about price. I suppose you reckon that the CAMRA campaign to kill the Beer Duty Escalator is a load of nonsense too? The price of a pint is too high.
Agree architecture is good.
I never said an expensive pint is better . What I did say is my experience of Wetherspoons is that on average they serve up a crap pint and I'd rather pay more for a good one.
As for training staff, I wonder if it's coincidence that most of the staff tend to serve gap fillers instead of keeping an eye on who is next ? A good bar person should know who is next to be served rather than going down the line serving whoever.
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Strutter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]allannicho[/bold] wrote: Wetherspoons for me, choice and price.[/p][/quote]I'll drink to that.[/p][/quote]Obviously not a real ale fan then ! Cheap beer often near its sell by date which tastes nothing like the equivalent served in a real ale house . I'd personally rather pay extra for a good pint rather than the dross dished up in a Wetherspoons[/p][/quote]I must admit I go in for the architecture as much as anything. What he's done to the Sir Titus is interesting, but when I find Saltaire Blonde selling at £1.99 in Bingley/Shipley and others charging £2.80 I swallow my pride and imbibe. Besides Tim Martin is one of the most high profile anti-euro people going and deserves support if you agree with his stance. I also do not hold the view that an expensive pint is necessarily a better pint. It's all down to the training and experience of the bar staff and 'Spoons do train their bar staff. Also there are too many local CAMRA branches who often vote for their local 'Spoons as Pubs of the Season for it to be coincidence. Let's not be snobby about price. I suppose you reckon that the CAMRA campaign to kill the Beer Duty Escalator is a load of nonsense too? The price of a pint is too high.[/p][/quote]Agree architecture is good. I never said an expensive pint is better . What I did say is my experience of Wetherspoons is that on average they serve up a crap pint and I'd rather pay more for a good one. As for training staff, I wonder if it's coincidence that most of the staff tend to serve gap fillers instead of keeping an eye on who is next ? A good bar person should know who is next to be served rather than going down the line serving whoever. Mike Strutter
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree