Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Painter and decorator died of industrial disease
4:19pm Friday 7th September 2012 in News
A retired painter and decorator who was exposed to asbestos during his lifelong career died of an industrial disease, a Coroner ruled.
An inquest in Bradford today heard grandfather Brian Potts, 65, of Crossfield Road, Keighley , had been in contact with the deadly substance through his work and died after developing mesothelioma.
The inquest was told Mr Potts visited his doctor complaining of chest pain last June and, after tests, was diagnosed with the asbestos-related disease.
Bradford Coroner Peter Straker said Mr Potts started receiving chemotherapy, but “reacted badly” to it and was admitted to the Sue Ryder Manorlands Hospice at Oxenhope where he died on February 2. Mr Straker recorded a verdict that Mr Potts had died of industrial disease.
“Brian Potts was exposed to asbestos during his work and then died of an asbestos-related illness,” he added.