Keighley and Baildon men died of exposure to asbestos during work (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Keighley and Baildon men died of exposure to asbestos during work
Inquests into the deaths of two further victims of asbestos were heard in Bradford yesterday.
Kenneth Gledhill, 85, died on November 11 last year, and Geoffrey Arthur Haithwaite, 83, died on February 23 this year.
Both men had been in contact with the deadly substance through their work and developed mesothelioma, the separate hearings were told.
Mr Gledhill, of Westgate Gardens, Keighley , was a retired electrician.
He received palliative care in Manorlands Hospice in Oxenhope .
His widow, Jean Gledhill, confirmed to the hearing he had been receiving industrial injury disablement benefit.
Mr Haithwaite, of The Grove, Baildon , worked for a shop fitting business and was involved with assembling and cutting parts and materials to size.
Mr Haithwaite was also diagnosed with mesothelioma, which he contracted due to exposure to asbestos dust at work.
The results of a post-mortem identified that Mr Haithwaite’s death was caused by broncho pneumonia and mesothelioma.
Bradford Coroner Peter Straker recorded verdicts that they had both died of industrial disease.
Up to nine out of ten cases of mesothelioma are caused by asbestos.