Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Guilfoyle rejects criticism by Bradford Bulls fans
The administrator of Bradford Bulls tonight hit back at fans’ criticism over his handling of the situation as he revealed he had received “up to five” formal bids for the struggling club.
Brendan Guilfoyle, of The P&A Partnership, refuted supporters’ suggestions he had been “less than open” about potential offers for the stricken side and revealed that he has spoken to 13 interested parties since Bulls entered administrator in June.
He said he is now looking at “between one and five” potential bids received before a self-imposed deadline for unconditional offers at noon today. They are believed to include offers from Bradford City Football Club and Bradford curry house boss Omar Khan.
“I’ve received a number of offers and I’m looking at them,” he said.
“Some still have conditions attached, so I’m asking people to clarify a few points and will look to meet with the RFL on Monday.”
The governing body had set its own deadline of 5pm for interested parties to contact them, but Mr Guilfoyle said they were working to different aims.
“My duty is to get the best possible deal for the creditors and get the highest bid, but the RFL is looking at the Bradford Bulls and what is best for the future. That’s what the fans want, so I have to collaborate with the RFL and hope the best bid is acceptable to them.”
Mr Guilfoyle said there had been “whispers” among fans that former Bulls’ chairman Chris Caisley was linked to the bid involving Bantams’ co-chairman Julian Rhodes but said the rumours were not true.
“The people that are interested have been involved over a long period of time,” he added.
“I want an end to it, fans want an end to it – players and staff need a conclusion. I hope to narrow the bids down to one party and that party is acceptable to the RFL.”
Mr Rhodes, who earlier this week confirmed Bradford City had approached the governing body about helping its struggling neighbour, tonight said he was due to have a meeting with the RFL next week but had yet to submit a formal business plan.
He said: “We said we would help if there was nobody else. If they have other genuine bids then we might leave them to it, but we will see next week.
“The RFL knows details of our bid and has asked for more information, which we will supply.”
Former Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe confirmed on Wednesday that Mr Khan had now submitted an unconditional bid for the club.
No-one at the RFL was available for comment.