Woman, 58, rescued by firefighters from blaze at Cleckheaton home (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Woman, 58, rescued by firefighters from blaze at Cleckheaton home
A Cleckheaton woman was rescued by firefighters after a lit cigarette started a blaze in her bedroom early today.
Fire crews from Cleckheaton and Odsal had to smash down the front door of the 58-year-old’s home in Hunsworth Lane, Hunsworth, shortly before 2am to lead her to safety.
Cleckheaton watch commander Aldene Woodward, said she had been “very lucky” to get out alive after she was woken by a smoke alarm and dialled 999.
She said: “She came down the stairs but we had to break in through the front door to get her out. The fire was well alight in the bedroom. She is very lucky indeed.”
The woman was taken to an ambulance to hospital for “precautionary” treatment for slight smoke inhalation, a fire service spokesman said. High-powered fans were used to clear thick smoke from the house.
Watch Commander Woodward said the fire was believed to have been caused by the woman smoking in bed.
She said: “People should realise how dangerous it is to smoke in bed. Fortunately, the house had working smoke alarms, which alerted the woman to the fire and she managed to call us in time and to get out.”