11:27am Tuesday 8th May 2012
By Claire Lomax
Children playing with a cigarette lighter started a fire in the bedroom of a house in Tamar Street, Canterbury, Little Horton, Bradford, last night.
Firefighters from Odsal were called to the house shortly after 8pm. Two adults and four children were outside the house when firefighters arrived.
Watch commander Anthony Williams said: “The children were very fortunate in that smoke detectors had been fitted throughout the property which indicated the fire to mum and she took everyone outside the house. No one was injured but they were very shaken and shocked.
“The fire destroyed the bedroom.”
Mr Williams said the incident demonstrated the importance of smoke detectors and called for anyone who wanted to take advantage of a free home fire safety check to contact their local fire station or ring 0800 5874536.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group