Fire tore through the roof of an unoccupied, end-terrace house in West Bowling, Bradford, today.

It took more than one and a half hours for firefighters from Odsal fire station to bring the blaze under control.

The roof collapsed and windows shattered as a result of the ferocious fire which involved furniture in a first-floor bedroom.

The fire service was unable to explain how the blaze broke out at the house in Mark Street.

A member of the public used a mobile phone to alert the emergency services at 5.20am.