Drivers warned over attacks on traffic wardens

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Bradford Council parking wardens at work in the city Bradford Council parking wardens at work in the city

Motorists are being warned that abusing or assaulting Bradford Council parking wardens when they receive tickets is likely to land them in Court.

Verbal or physical attacks on the wardens are running at an average of more than one a week since they went on patrol in March last year.

Police have had to be called in on 26 occasions when drivers’ tempers have frayed.

There have been about 80 incidents of violence against wardens, according to Council figures over the last 13 months.

Sixteen of those involved physical assault and 19 racial abuse. A total of 73 of the incidents also involved verbal abuse.

Two men have so far been taken to court and convicted for assaulting wardens.

Mark White, enforcement manager for Bradford Council Parking Services, said: “Our staff should be able to go to work like any other employee in any other business without fear of assault.

“Abusing an officer because they have issued a ticket is not just shameful and pointless – it can land you in court. The Council is able to prosecute in its own right and we will make full use of that capability.

“Officers will shortly be testing body-worn cameras which we hope will deter would-be abusers. People who think they can get away with this sort of behaviour should think again.”

Last week the Telegraph & Argus reported how customer care advisor Javed Shah became so angry with a civil enforcement officer taking a photograph of his illegally-parked vehicle that he slapped the camera out of her hand.

Bradford magistrates handed down a three-month community order and agreed that he should be tagged on curfew for six weeks.

The 46-year-old, of Montague Street, Bradford, was also ordered to pay £300 towards costs and £75 victim compensation. Warden Jane Summerscales described how Shah had moved towards her, swinging his arms about and swearing at her and trying to knock the camera out of her hand.

The case followed a similar incident in August when irate motorist Irfan Zaib drove into a traffic officer to avoid a parking ticket. Zaib’s car stalled on Southgate, Bradford, and lunged forward into John Hellens.

Zaib, 27, of Lower Rushton Road, Thornbury, was fined £400 and ordered to pay compensation of £100 at Bradford Crown Court last week. The court heard how the Volkswagen Polo mounted the kerb and struck Mr Hellens, before being reversed and driven off.

Mr White said wardens did not have the authority to take back a ticket once it had been issued. He urged people who wanted to dispute parking tickets to go through the proper channels.

He said: “There is a team of appeals staff available to discuss the ticket over the telephone. If you have received a ticket you should follow the instructions on the back.”

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:25am Mon 10 May 10

hardgravity says...

These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame'

Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed.

No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.
These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all. hardgravity
  • Score: 0

10:12am Mon 10 May 10

mad matt says...

hardgravity wrote:
These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.
Hear-hear!
Furthermore, if people don't want a parking ticket, all they have to do is make sure that they park in the proper places and where necessary, pay the correct parking fee.
If they decide to break the law, they will have to pay the penalty.
[quote][p][bold]hardgravity[/bold] wrote: These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.[/p][/quote]Hear-hear! Furthermore, if people don't want a parking ticket, all they have to do is make sure that they park in the proper places and where necessary, pay the correct parking fee. If they decide to break the law, they will have to pay the penalty. mad matt
  • Score: 0

10:13am Mon 10 May 10

mad matt says...

hardgravity wrote:
These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.
Hear-hear!
Furthermore, if people don't want a parking ticket, all they have to do is make sure that they park in the proper places and where necessary, pay the correct parking fee.
If they decide to break the law, they will have to pay the penalty.
[quote][p][bold]hardgravity[/bold] wrote: These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.[/p][/quote]Hear-hear! Furthermore, if people don't want a parking ticket, all they have to do is make sure that they park in the proper places and where necessary, pay the correct parking fee. If they decide to break the law, they will have to pay the penalty. mad matt
  • Score: 0

10:13am Mon 10 May 10

mad matt says...

hardgravity wrote:
These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.
Hear-hear!
Furthermore, if people don't want a parking ticket, all they have to do is make sure that they park in the proper places and where necessary, pay the correct parking fee.
If they decide to break the law, they will have to pay the penalty.
[quote][p][bold]hardgravity[/bold] wrote: These guys are doing a stirling job out there in the streets of Bradford. Anybody convicted of an assault on them should have to pay larger fines than they are doing and their pictures should be posted on billboard 'halls of shame' Finally they should have their cars removed and destroyed. No I'm not a warden but have great respect for the dismal job they do to make the streets safer for us all.[/p][/quote]Hear-hear! Furthermore, if people don't want a parking ticket, all they have to do is make sure that they park in the proper places and where necessary, pay the correct parking fee. If they decide to break the law, they will have to pay the penalty. mad matt
  • Score: 0

10:25am Mon 10 May 10

mad matt says...

Oooops - T&A website playing up again! I only put that in once!
Oooops - T&A website playing up again! I only put that in once! mad matt
  • Score: 0

10:55am Mon 10 May 10

scanipoos says...

I totally agree. if folk didn't double park. and park just about anywhere with total disregard for other road users and pedestrians, tickets wouldn't be issued. Its not before time as well. they've got MY support .
I totally agree. if folk didn't double park. and park just about anywhere with total disregard for other road users and pedestrians, tickets wouldn't be issued. Its not before time as well. they've got MY support . scanipoos
  • Score: 0

11:10am Mon 10 May 10

Moon on a stick says...

I have to be honest, there are two sides to this however, some wardens are being over zealous for example ticketing loading bays on a Sunday when they are not then in force, this happened to a mate, thankfully another warden came past and said the cars shouldn’t have been ticketed and the that fine could be contested, but without the honest warden the fine would have been paid without knowing. Also given how trade is suffering in retail areas especially, is over zealous ticketing really helping or is it another factor keeping shoppers out of the city centre?
.
P.S. That photo to me looks like it's outside the Manor Row apartment block where I recall the brochures showed that residents could park on Broad Street but there isn't enough capacity as the council haven't got a permit schemes for residents (and refuse to consider one), they are as per that example fining residents, essentially it's a tax on city centre living, sure his car shouldn't be on the pavement but that car would have been fined for parking on any of those streets near his/her home.
I have to be honest, there are two sides to this however, some wardens are being over zealous for example ticketing loading bays on a Sunday when they are not then in force, this happened to a mate, thankfully another warden came past and said the cars shouldn’t have been ticketed and the that fine could be contested, but without the honest warden the fine would have been paid without knowing. Also given how trade is suffering in retail areas especially, is over zealous ticketing really helping or is it another factor keeping shoppers out of the city centre? . P.S. That photo to me looks like it's outside the Manor Row apartment block where I recall the brochures showed that residents could park on Broad Street but there isn't enough capacity as the council haven't got a permit schemes for residents (and refuse to consider one), they are as per that example fining residents, essentially it's a tax on city centre living, sure his car shouldn't be on the pavement but that car would have been fined for parking on any of those streets near his/her home. Moon on a stick
  • Score: 0

11:45am Mon 10 May 10

JRT says...

Hmm would you want these drivers in charge of a dangerous weapon a big hunk of metal called a car.
Hmm would you want these drivers in charge of a dangerous weapon a big hunk of metal called a car. JRT
  • Score: 0

11:54am Mon 10 May 10

kully says...

I have dealt with many of the tickets issued to local residents in Bradford and 9 out of ten times have managed to have the charges waved.
I suggest that more people start to use the appeal procedures and likeley hood is that ticket charges for the ticket issued could be waved.
I have dealt with many of the tickets issued to local residents in Bradford and 9 out of ten times have managed to have the charges waved. I suggest that more people start to use the appeal procedures and likeley hood is that ticket charges for the ticket issued could be waved. kully
  • Score: 0

12:07pm Mon 10 May 10

Moon on a stick says...

kully wrote:
I have dealt with many of the tickets issued to local residents in Bradford and 9 out of ten times have managed to have the charges waved. I suggest that more people start to use the appeal procedures and likeley hood is that ticket charges for the ticket issued could be waved.
I genuinely don't believe 9/10 cases are upheld on appeal, but if you say so it's definately worth a try.
.
If that were the case, surely it would make more sense to simply have a permit scheme? I'm sure people would happily pay even £250 a year to a have a permit rather than be fined or have their cars vandalised and broken into because they're having to resort to dodgy streets further out of the centre?
[quote][p][bold]kully[/bold] wrote: I have dealt with many of the tickets issued to local residents in Bradford and 9 out of ten times have managed to have the charges waved. I suggest that more people start to use the appeal procedures and likeley hood is that ticket charges for the ticket issued could be waved.[/p][/quote]I genuinely don't believe 9/10 cases are upheld on appeal, but if you say so it's definately worth a try. . If that were the case, surely it would make more sense to simply have a permit scheme? I'm sure people would happily pay even £250 a year to a have a permit rather than be fined or have their cars vandalised and broken into because they're having to resort to dodgy streets further out of the centre? Moon on a stick
  • Score: 0

12:15pm Mon 10 May 10

Joedavid says...

I support these tickets being issued but the bottom line is there is no less wrongly parked cars than there was a year ago.
Why no improvement?
I support these tickets being issued but the bottom line is there is no less wrongly parked cars than there was a year ago. Why no improvement? Joedavid
  • Score: 0

12:24pm Mon 10 May 10

ItchyBungle says...

No-one should have to take abuse of any kind, whether in the workplace or elsewhere. However, the word abuse needs to be clearly defined as does the word complaint. I recently was involved in an altercation with a ticket-barrier staff member at Bradford Interchange. I complained as to why they have those "silly barriers" and the next thing I know I was stopped by the Transport Police and questioned over it, he had accused me of being abusive.
No-one should have to take abuse of any kind, whether in the workplace or elsewhere. However, the word abuse needs to be clearly defined as does the word complaint. I recently was involved in an altercation with a ticket-barrier staff member at Bradford Interchange. I complained as to why they have those "silly barriers" and the next thing I know I was stopped by the Transport Police and questioned over it, he had accused me of being abusive. ItchyBungle
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Mon 10 May 10

Patrick Bateman says...

Zero tolerance for this kind of behaviour: totally unacceptable. Prosecution should be automatic IMO. Let's face it, traffic wardens are never going to popular figures but they are simply doing their job -nothing more, nothing less. While there may be a case for a lack of parking capacity in Bradford that is a whole other argument.
Anyway 'customer care advisor' Javed Shah (?) He of all people should know how difficult a job it is in dealing with moronic members of the public. Shame on you man.
Zero tolerance for this kind of behaviour: totally unacceptable. Prosecution should be automatic IMO. Let's face it, traffic wardens are never going to popular figures but they are simply doing their job -nothing more, nothing less. While there may be a case for a lack of parking capacity in Bradford that is a whole other argument. Anyway 'customer care advisor' Javed Shah (?) He of all people should know how difficult a job it is in dealing with moronic members of the public. Shame on you man. Patrick Bateman
  • Score: 0

1:46pm Mon 10 May 10

Storck says...

Moon on a stick wrote:
I have to be honest, there are two sides to this however, some wardens are being over zealous for example ticketing loading bays on a Sunday when they are not then in force, this happened to a mate, thankfully another warden came past and said the cars shouldn’t have been ticketed and the that fine could be contested, but without the honest warden the fine would have been paid without knowing. Also given how trade is suffering in retail areas especially, is over zealous ticketing really helping or is it another factor keeping shoppers out of the city centre?
.
P.S. That photo to me looks like it's outside the Manor Row apartment block where I recall the brochures showed that residents could park on Broad Street but there isn't enough capacity as the council haven't got a permit schemes for residents (and refuse to consider one), they are as per that example fining residents, essentially it's a tax on city centre living, sure his car shouldn't be on the pavement but that car would have been fined for parking on any of those streets near his/her home.
It is outside the flats on Manor Row, but it is more likely that the owner was in PIA office which is just on the corner. Customers there park on the pavement all the time and block the pavement. Glad they are doing something at last about it.
[quote][p][bold]Moon on a stick[/bold] wrote: I have to be honest, there are two sides to this however, some wardens are being over zealous for example ticketing loading bays on a Sunday when they are not then in force, this happened to a mate, thankfully another warden came past and said the cars shouldn’t have been ticketed and the that fine could be contested, but without the honest warden the fine would have been paid without knowing. Also given how trade is suffering in retail areas especially, is over zealous ticketing really helping or is it another factor keeping shoppers out of the city centre? . P.S. That photo to me looks like it's outside the Manor Row apartment block where I recall the brochures showed that residents could park on Broad Street but there isn't enough capacity as the council haven't got a permit schemes for residents (and refuse to consider one), they are as per that example fining residents, essentially it's a tax on city centre living, sure his car shouldn't be on the pavement but that car would have been fined for parking on any of those streets near his/her home.[/p][/quote]It is outside the flats on Manor Row, but it is more likely that the owner was in PIA office which is just on the corner. Customers there park on the pavement all the time and block the pavement. Glad they are doing something at last about it. Storck
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Mon 10 May 10

albion says...

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Zero tolerance for this kind of behaviour: totally unacceptable. Prosecution should be automatic IMO. Let's face it, traffic wardens are never going to popular figures but they are simply doing their job -nothing more, nothing less. While there may be a case for a lack of parking capacity in Bradford that is a whole other argument.
Anyway 'customer care advisor' Javed Shah (?) He of all people should know how difficult a job it is in dealing with moronic members of the public. Shame on you man.
Totally agree.
[quote][p][bold]Patrick Bateman[/bold] wrote: Zero tolerance for this kind of behaviour: totally unacceptable. Prosecution should be automatic IMO. Let's face it, traffic wardens are never going to popular figures but they are simply doing their job -nothing more, nothing less. While there may be a case for a lack of parking capacity in Bradford that is a whole other argument. Anyway 'customer care advisor' Javed Shah (?) He of all people should know how difficult a job it is in dealing with moronic members of the public. Shame on you man.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. albion
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Mon 10 May 10

albion says...

reportmeagain wrote:
mad matt wrote:
Oooops - T&A website playing up again! I only put that in once!
Thats what the wife said.
She always says that.
[quote][p][bold]reportmeagain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mad matt[/bold] wrote: Oooops - T&A website playing up again! I only put that in once![/p][/quote]Thats what the wife said.[/p][/quote]She always says that. albion
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Mon 10 May 10

Darbees says...

Whilst I don't approve of physical violence I am all for verbal abuse of these people so long as it isn't racist, sexist etc. What do they expect when they are issuing tickets which is bound to wind people up as a revenue raiser even though they are in the wrong? Anyone who chooses to do this job should be thick skinned/stupid enough to take it. As for calling the police because someone has called them names, that is ridiculous, what do they expect police to do other than tell them to stop, it's just wasting police time. It is the same at the tip with signs threatening police action all over the place. Maybe the "abused" should look at why so many ordinary people are so rude to them and nobody else.
Whilst I don't approve of physical violence I am all for verbal abuse of these people so long as it isn't racist, sexist etc. What do they expect when they are issuing tickets which is bound to wind people up as a revenue raiser even though they are in the wrong? Anyone who chooses to do this job should be thick skinned/stupid enough to take it. As for calling the police because someone has called them names, that is ridiculous, what do they expect police to do other than tell them to stop, it's just wasting police time. It is the same at the tip with signs threatening police action all over the place. Maybe the "abused" should look at why so many ordinary people are so rude to them and nobody else. Darbees
  • Score: -1

3:04pm Mon 10 May 10

spinnekop says...

The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?
The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations? spinnekop
  • Score: 0

3:11pm Mon 10 May 10

Walkingproud says...

First time poster.I thought i had to write something regarding this!I was all for the wardens being taken on.Was really looking foward to incosiderate drivers etc being penalised for parking/Traffic violations.What did they do?They plonked a ticket on my legitimately parked car outside my own home,displaying a permit.£70!!!I contested it,took ages and finallyt wanted to take it court.I do not have that kind of time on my hands,ended up paying it in protest.Was an absolute nightmare.Another time,in city centre,parked up,told Mrs to wait in car while i get a ticket for parking,within moments,warden jumped up from behind a car and stated taking car details down,Mrs had a word with him,by which time i was returning with ticket.warden stands there,tapping one foot,saying "you have five minuites to display it"!!!!!!What on earth is all that about??Was pulling a face like Clint Eastwood whilst doing it.Arrogance of the highest order.Now everytime i see a warden,just makes my blood boil.I never had any issues with them, in fact i was all for them,but they have miserably failed in my eyes.Makes one wonder what other folk make of them.Maybe the report shows just that!
First time poster.I thought i had to write something regarding this!I was all for the wardens being taken on.Was really looking foward to incosiderate drivers etc being penalised for parking/Traffic violations.What did they do?They plonked a ticket on my legitimately parked car outside my own home,displaying a permit.£70!!!I contested it,took ages and finallyt wanted to take it court.I do not have that kind of time on my hands,ended up paying it in protest.Was an absolute nightmare.Another time,in city centre,parked up,told Mrs to wait in car while i get a ticket for parking,within moments,warden jumped up from behind a car and stated taking car details down,Mrs had a word with him,by which time i was returning with ticket.warden stands there,tapping one foot,saying "you have five minuites to display it"!!!!!!What on earth is all that about??Was pulling a face like Clint Eastwood whilst doing it.Arrogance of the highest order.Now everytime i see a warden,just makes my blood boil.I never had any issues with them, in fact i was all for them,but they have miserably failed in my eyes.Makes one wonder what other folk make of them.Maybe the report shows just that! Walkingproud
  • Score: 0

3:15pm Mon 10 May 10

enviroMENTAL says...

Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e!
Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e! enviroMENTAL
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Mon 10 May 10

spinnekop says...

enviroMENTAL wrote:
Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e!
They do park anywhere, hemce the wardens. I agree, as unpalatable as getting ticketed is there is no reason to go off on one. They are only doing a job. However, they also could do the job with a bit more understanding and a better atittude.
[quote][p][bold]enviroMENTAL[/bold] wrote: Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e![/p][/quote]They do park anywhere, hemce the wardens. I agree, as unpalatable as getting ticketed is there is no reason to go off on one. They are only doing a job. However, they also could do the job with a bit more understanding and a better atittude. spinnekop
  • Score: 0

4:29pm Mon 10 May 10

enviroMENTAL says...

spinnekop wrote:
enviroMENTAL wrote: Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e!
They do park anywhere, hemce the wardens. I agree, as unpalatable as getting ticketed is there is no reason to go off on one. They are only doing a job. However, they also could do the job with a bit more understanding and a better atittude.
I agree whole heartedly.
[quote][p][bold]spinnekop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]enviroMENTAL[/bold] wrote: Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e![/p][/quote]They do park anywhere, hemce the wardens. I agree, as unpalatable as getting ticketed is there is no reason to go off on one. They are only doing a job. However, they also could do the job with a bit more understanding and a better atittude.[/p][/quote]I agree whole heartedly. enviroMENTAL
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Mon 10 May 10

Darbees says...

enviroMENTAL wrote:
Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e!
I'm glad that you agree with my sentiments and are thus abusing me just because you don't agree with me you hypocrite. That doesn't really go too far in helping your argument.

I didn't say anything about the whys and wherefores of the parking rules, I just said it should be ok to "abuse" them within reason since they are often abusing their authority by not using any discretion and merely treating it as a revenue raising operation rather than a means of keeping the traffic flowing. Obviously is someone is on double yellows or blocking things they deserve a ticket although if they ignore it, nothing happens.
[quote][p][bold]enviroMENTAL[/bold] wrote: Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e![/p][/quote]I'm glad that you agree with my sentiments and are thus abusing me just because you don't agree with me you hypocrite. That doesn't really go too far in helping your argument. I didn't say anything about the whys and wherefores of the parking rules, I just said it should be ok to "abuse" them within reason since they are often abusing their authority by not using any discretion and merely treating it as a revenue raising operation rather than a means of keeping the traffic flowing. Obviously is someone is on double yellows or blocking things they deserve a ticket although if they ignore it, nothing happens. Darbees
  • Score: 0

7:52pm Mon 10 May 10

know it all says...

spinnekop wrote:
The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?
The car is on the pavement and is blocking access its parked right on top of a tactile disabled access crossing which is an instant offence under the rules of civil enforcement and the Ceo "civil enforcement officer" has no discretion on this contravention and must issue.
If the driver has a legit reason for blocking access for disabled and pushchairs then the appeals procedure will show this and uphold his appeal.
[quote][p][bold]spinnekop[/bold] wrote: The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?[/p][/quote]The car is on the pavement and is blocking access its parked right on top of a tactile disabled access crossing which is an instant offence under the rules of civil enforcement and the Ceo "civil enforcement officer" has no discretion on this contravention and must issue. If the driver has a legit reason for blocking access for disabled and pushchairs then the appeals procedure will show this and uphold his appeal. know it all
  • Score: 0

8:14pm Mon 10 May 10

know it all says...

a prime example of why people should not comment on something they have no experience of.
what do you do for a living ? would it be ok for someone to scream in your face spit at you daily barge you out of the way, kick, punch attack you in gangs whilst you work ,drive their car at you,i think not but then thats you isnt it.
these ceos put up whith this type of behaviour day in day out and yet they still do their jobs and provide a quality service which the police simply did not have the manpower to enforce,credit where credits due.
look at the statistics,accidents
,car crime ,all down by a massive percentage since the ceos took over on march 26th last year.
this is never mentioned in the papers but other agencies are quick to take credit for this drop.
a prime example of why people should not comment on something they have no experience of. what do you do for a living ? would it be ok for someone to scream in your face spit at you daily barge you out of the way, kick, punch attack you in gangs whilst you work ,drive their car at you,i think not but then thats you isnt it. these ceos put up whith this type of behaviour day in day out and yet they still do their jobs and provide a quality service which the police simply did not have the manpower to enforce,credit where credits due. look at the statistics,accidents ,car crime ,all down by a massive percentage since the ceos took over on march 26th last year. this is never mentioned in the papers but other agencies are quick to take credit for this drop. know it all
  • Score: 0

11:05pm Mon 10 May 10

Haji says...

Give them CS gas as a safety measure (lol).

Totally agree these guys do a great job and should never be abused. The likes of Javed Shah & Irfan Zaib are a disgrace and shame on them for the fine they got. Put their sorry a**e photo on a billboard and let us all throw darts at them.

If you cant park properly then walk, get the bus or get on a bike - I just cant stand people who double park or park in places that block others
Give them CS gas as a safety measure (lol). Totally agree these guys do a great job and should never be abused. The likes of Javed Shah & Irfan Zaib are a disgrace and shame on them for the fine they got. Put their sorry a**e photo on a billboard and let us all throw darts at them. If you cant park properly then walk, get the bus or get on a bike - I just cant stand people who double park or park in places that block others Haji
  • Score: 0

6:20am Tue 11 May 10

spinnekop says...

know it all wrote:
spinnekop wrote: The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?
The car is on the pavement and is blocking access its parked right on top of a tactile disabled access crossing which is an instant offence under the rules of civil enforcement and the Ceo "civil enforcement officer" has no discretion on this contravention and must issue. If the driver has a legit reason for blocking access for disabled and pushchairs then the appeals procedure will show this and uphold his appeal.
Im not familiar with the exact location so fair comment if thats the case. I'm still unclear as to the law 'in general' regarding pavement parking though. If anyone can clarify?
[quote][p][bold]know it all[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]spinnekop[/bold] wrote: The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?[/p][/quote]The car is on the pavement and is blocking access its parked right on top of a tactile disabled access crossing which is an instant offence under the rules of civil enforcement and the Ceo "civil enforcement officer" has no discretion on this contravention and must issue. If the driver has a legit reason for blocking access for disabled and pushchairs then the appeals procedure will show this and uphold his appeal.[/p][/quote]Im not familiar with the exact location so fair comment if thats the case. I'm still unclear as to the law 'in general' regarding pavement parking though. If anyone can clarify? spinnekop
  • Score: 0

7:27am Tue 11 May 10

true says...

I think some of these wardens are abusing the authority they have, i got a ticket while stood at red lights. when i challenged him he became abusive and sarcastic. What was i to do, so i filmed the weed and sent it to the authorities and got my ticket revoked. they are uneducated, kiss a rses who have nothing better to do than to cause trouble. Not all of them but i would consider them to be blue coated dogs..........
I think some of these wardens are abusing the authority they have, i got a ticket while stood at red lights. when i challenged him he became abusive and sarcastic. What was i to do, so i filmed the weed and sent it to the authorities and got my ticket revoked. they are uneducated, kiss a rses who have nothing better to do than to cause trouble. Not all of them but i would consider them to be blue coated dogs.......... true
  • Score: 0

8:39am Tue 11 May 10

Freddy Elliot says...

spinnekop wrote:
know it all wrote:
spinnekop wrote: The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?
The car is on the pavement and is blocking access its parked right on top of a tactile disabled access crossing which is an instant offence under the rules of civil enforcement and the Ceo "civil enforcement officer" has no discretion on this contravention and must issue. If the driver has a legit reason for blocking access for disabled and pushchairs then the appeals procedure will show this and uphold his appeal.
Im not familiar with the exact location so fair comment if thats the case. I'm still unclear as to the law 'in general' regarding pavement parking though. If anyone can clarify?
spinnekop, about 6 weeks ago we had problems with parked vehicles on the pavements. The traffic warden that attended explained that gone are the days of booking cars for simply just being on the pavements. It only becomes an offence now when space does not allow a motorised scooter or push chair etc. through.
[quote][p][bold]spinnekop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]know it all[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]spinnekop[/bold] wrote: The picture there clearly shows a car parked on the pavement, but not 'blocking' access. I have heard that you can park on the pavement as long as you dont block it for prams, wheelchairs ect. So come on, what is the law in these situations?[/p][/quote]The car is on the pavement and is blocking access its parked right on top of a tactile disabled access crossing which is an instant offence under the rules of civil enforcement and the Ceo "civil enforcement officer" has no discretion on this contravention and must issue. If the driver has a legit reason for blocking access for disabled and pushchairs then the appeals procedure will show this and uphold his appeal.[/p][/quote]Im not familiar with the exact location so fair comment if thats the case. I'm still unclear as to the law 'in general' regarding pavement parking though. If anyone can clarify?[/p][/quote]spinnekop, about 6 weeks ago we had problems with parked vehicles on the pavements. The traffic warden that attended explained that gone are the days of booking cars for simply just being on the pavements. It only becomes an offence now when space does not allow a motorised scooter or push chair etc. through. Freddy Elliot
  • Score: 0

8:40am Tue 11 May 10

enviroMENTAL says...

Darbees wrote:
enviroMENTAL wrote: Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e!
I'm glad that you agree with my sentiments and are thus abusing me just because you don't agree with me you hypocrite. That doesn't really go too far in helping your argument. I didn't say anything about the whys and wherefores of the parking rules, I just said it should be ok to "abuse" them within reason since they are often abusing their authority by not using any discretion and merely treating it as a revenue raising operation rather than a means of keeping the traffic flowing. Obviously is someone is on double yellows or blocking things they deserve a ticket although if they ignore it, nothing happens.
Yes I was doing as you asked, tongue in cheek, to make a point - verbal abuse is wrong. It doesn't translate very well in these snippets. The individuals aren't abusing there authority - they follow the rules they are told to enforce. Don't be so naive.
[quote][p][bold]Darbees[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]enviroMENTAL[/bold] wrote: Darbees "I am all for verbal abuse " OK you are an a**e. They are doing a job and there aren't a lot about at the moment. You should support them not abuse them. What would the city centre be like if peole were left to just park any where. A**e![/p][/quote]I'm glad that you agree with my sentiments and are thus abusing me just because you don't agree with me you hypocrite. That doesn't really go too far in helping your argument. I didn't say anything about the whys and wherefores of the parking rules, I just said it should be ok to "abuse" them within reason since they are often abusing their authority by not using any discretion and merely treating it as a revenue raising operation rather than a means of keeping the traffic flowing. Obviously is someone is on double yellows or blocking things they deserve a ticket although if they ignore it, nothing happens.[/p][/quote]Yes I was doing as you asked, tongue in cheek, to make a point - verbal abuse is wrong. It doesn't translate very well in these snippets. The individuals aren't abusing there authority - they follow the rules they are told to enforce. Don't be so naive. enviroMENTAL
  • Score: 0

9:11am Tue 11 May 10

StickyIKY says...

i think some of us here are missing out on the main facts:

1) This kind of parking enforcement is actually driving down the trade for the bradford city centre...(ppl no longer want to go to a pound shop or even any other shop...when there is a likely chance of not being able to find a parking spot and if parked incorrectly for facing a £30 fine)...
Thus...more traders will start to leave bradford...and go elsewhere like leeds perhaps?....
(two previous articles to consider.. highest number of shops shut in bradford.....and also bradford city centre traders complaing about heavy handed tactics of the parking enforcement team....

2) bfd council has recently started enforcing the parking restrictions heavily....maybe because of the money it lost to iceland?....maybe?

3)The under hand tactics of some of these parking wardens are getting a bit ridicilous... and when there is some injustice to the tax paying ppl of bradford then surely they will revolt... in this case beating up parking wardenS?....although i would not encourage or recommend it...

CONCLUSION: bfd council need to get their heads out of their backsides and sort this out!!!!!!!!this will get worse....
i think some of us here are missing out on the main facts: 1) This kind of parking enforcement is actually driving down the trade for the bradford city centre...(ppl no longer want to go to a pound shop or even any other shop...when there is a likely chance of not being able to find a parking spot and if parked incorrectly for facing a £30 fine)... Thus...more traders will start to leave bradford...and go elsewhere like leeds perhaps?.... (two previous articles to consider.. highest number of shops shut in bradford.....and also bradford city centre traders complaing about heavy handed tactics of the parking enforcement team.... 2) bfd council has recently started enforcing the parking restrictions heavily....maybe because of the money it lost to iceland?....maybe? 3)The under hand tactics of some of these parking wardens are getting a bit ridicilous... and when there is some injustice to the tax paying ppl of bradford then surely they will revolt... in this case beating up parking wardenS?....although i would not encourage or recommend it... CONCLUSION: bfd council need to get their heads out of their backsides and sort this out!!!!!!!!this will get worse.... StickyIKY
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Tue 11 May 10

Darbees says...

enviroMENTAL"Yes I was doing as you asked, tongue in cheek, to make a point - verbal abuse is wrong. It doesn't translate very well in these snippets. The individuals aren't abusing there authority - they follow the rules they are told to enforce. Don't be so naive." As someone said above, it's the definition of abuse, knocking people about, threatening, swearing, discriminatory, etc isn't acceptable but being irritated is and since it's the warden who has made the decision to issue the ticket she/he can expect to get some comment from people. If they can't take that they shouldn't do the job but the no one can be prosecuted for calling people names.
enviroMENTAL"Yes I was doing as you asked, tongue in cheek, to make a point - verbal abuse is wrong. It doesn't translate very well in these snippets. The individuals aren't abusing there authority - they follow the rules they are told to enforce. Don't be so naive." As someone said above, it's the definition of abuse, knocking people about, threatening, swearing, discriminatory, etc isn't acceptable but being irritated is and since it's the warden who has made the decision to issue the ticket she/he can expect to get some comment from people. If they can't take that they shouldn't do the job but the no one can be prosecuted for calling people names. Darbees
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Tue 11 May 10

enviroMENTAL says...

Darbees''she/he can expect to get some comment from people.'' You initially said you were "all for verbal abuse". Getting some comment that isn't threatening, discriminatory or swearing is a long way from the verbal abuse you were encouraging.

As long as it isn't threatening then it should be accepted. There is probably a whole different discussion about what people perceive as threatening!
Darbees''she/he can expect to get some comment from people.'' You initially said you were "all for verbal abuse". Getting some comment that isn't threatening, discriminatory or swearing is a long way from the verbal abuse you were encouraging. As long as it isn't threatening then it should be accepted. There is probably a whole different discussion about what people perceive as threatening! enviroMENTAL
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Tue 11 May 10

Darbees says...

enviroMENTAL wrote:
Darbees''she/he can expect to get some comment from people.'' You initially said you were "all for verbal abuse". Getting some comment that isn't threatening, discriminatory or swearing is a long way from the verbal abuse you were encouraging.

As long as it isn't threatening then it should be accepted. There is probably a whole different discussion about what people perceive as threatening!
That's what I said in first place, I specifically said that it shouldn't be racist or sexist. I think that we are in fact agreed on the issue.
[quote][p][bold]enviroMENTAL[/bold] wrote: Darbees''she/he can expect to get some comment from people.'' You initially said you were "all for verbal abuse". Getting some comment that isn't threatening, discriminatory or swearing is a long way from the verbal abuse you were encouraging. As long as it isn't threatening then it should be accepted. There is probably a whole different discussion about what people perceive as threatening![/p][/quote]That's what I said in first place, I specifically said that it shouldn't be racist or sexist. I think that we are in fact agreed on the issue. Darbees
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Tue 11 May 10

Writer says...

It's an absolute disgrace that wardens are being abused by people who are parking illegally. I frequently park on Grattan Road in order to use the Oastler Centre (John Street Market) and it's only since wardens have been in place that I can find a place to park. I manage to go into the city centre without parking illegally so anyone else should be able to do the same. The pavements are for pedestrians and any motorist who parks on them should expect to be given a ticket. The worst offenders are those idiots who drive in the alleged pedestrian zones. Well done wardens, book 'em all!
It's an absolute disgrace that wardens are being abused by people who are parking illegally. I frequently park on Grattan Road in order to use the Oastler Centre (John Street Market) and it's only since wardens have been in place that I can find a place to park. I manage to go into the city centre without parking illegally so anyone else should be able to do the same. The pavements are for pedestrians and any motorist who parks on them should expect to be given a ticket. The worst offenders are those idiots who drive in the alleged pedestrian zones. Well done wardens, book 'em all! Writer
  • Score: 0

8:31pm Wed 12 May 10

know the truth says...

Pavement parking can only be enforced by the Councils CEO's (Traffic Wardens/Parking Attendants -to those not in the know!) if there are waiting/loading restrictions on the highway. In other words if there are yellows lines or similar they extend up to the building line which means that any vehicle that's parked on the footway can be ticketed.
If a vehicle is parked on a footway and there are no yellow lines (or similar) it is a matter for the Police. They have to determine if the vehicle is causing an obstruction, which (if they do) is an endorsable offence ie not only will the driver receive a fixed penalty but they will get points on their licence.
The parking industry gets a lot of stick (and on some rare occassions it is justified) but think for a moment what would happen if there was a 'free for all'! The roads would be jammed and no one would ever get anywhere.
Finally, the photo shows a CEO issuing a PCN which is not legal. The Department for Tranport regulations state that to issue a PCN the CEO MUST be in full uniform. The uniform includes a hat, which he clearly is not wearing. Technicallity? Yes. But even murderers get off on a technicallity!
Pavement parking can only be enforced by the Councils CEO's (Traffic Wardens/Parking Attendants -to those not in the know!) if there are waiting/loading restrictions on the highway. In other words if there are yellows lines or similar they extend up to the building line which means that any vehicle that's parked on the footway can be ticketed. If a vehicle is parked on a footway and there are no yellow lines (or similar) it is a matter for the Police. They have to determine if the vehicle is causing an obstruction, which (if they do) is an endorsable offence ie not only will the driver receive a fixed penalty but they will get points on their licence. The parking industry gets a lot of stick (and on some rare occassions it is justified) but think for a moment what would happen if there was a 'free for all'! The roads would be jammed and no one would ever get anywhere. Finally, the photo shows a CEO issuing a PCN which is not legal. The Department for Tranport regulations state that to issue a PCN the CEO MUST be in full uniform. The uniform includes a hat, which he clearly is not wearing. Technicallity? Yes. But even murderers get off on a technicallity! know the truth
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree