Lucky escape for fire victim

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

A man saved from his smoke-filled flat could have had just minutes left to live, one of his rescuers has said.

The 30-year-old man was found asleep on a sofa by firefighters who had to break down the door to get in.

He was helped outside and given oxygen by paramedics before being taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary with smoke inhalation.

It happened at a ground-floor flat in Denbury Mount, Holme Wood, just before 4am.

Choking smoke had come from an electric cooker ring which had been left on.

A smoke alarm had been triggered but it was a passer-by who alerted the emergency services.

Crew manager Andy Bellerby, from Odsal, said: “If it hadn’t have been for the passer-by this man might not have been so lucky. He could have had just minutes left by the time we got to him. The flat was full of smoke, we could smell it from outside.

“By the time he’d got to the hospital, he’d come round and was asking for his trainers. He’s a very lucky man.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree