A DRIVER who led police on a high-speed chase that even his own defence barrister admitted was “nine minutes of madness” has been jailed.

Officers tried to stop Mohammed Hussain, 21, after seeing him run a red light in the Marshfields area of Bradford at around 12.40am on July 18 last year.

Instead of pulling over, Hussain sped off in his Toyota Yaris, with the ensuing chase taking in main roads including Southfield Lane, Little Horton Lane, and Manchester Road.

Prosecutor Laura McBride told Bradford Crown Court that Hussain hit a top speed of 90mph in a 30mph of St Enoch’s Road, also topping 70mph on parts of the A641.

She said that at one point during the nine-minute pursuit, “pedestrians had to jump out of the way to narrowly avoid being hit”.

Police tried and failed to use a stinger to stop Hussain, but he was eventually detained and arrested, going on to claim that he wasn’t the driver.

Dashcam footage of the full chase. Video: West Yorkshire Police

The court heard that Hussain, of Smiddles Lane, Bradford, was on licence at the time of the offence after being given a 30-month sentence in a young offender institution in 2016 for possession with intent to supply heroin and cocaine.

He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving ahead of the start of a proposed trial yesterday.


John Batchelor, defending, said Hussain had “made the most ridiculous decision to keep driving”, resulting in “nine minutes of madness”.

He said his client had a clean licence and insurance, and was working part-time alongside taking an access course with a view of going to university.

Judge David Hatton QC said Hussain had engaged in a “sustained and deliberate” piece of dangerous driving through residential streets.

He told him: “You put the lives and health of pedestrians, though happily there were few, in danger, creating great risk of damage. You caused police to put their lives at risk in pursuing you and bringing you to justice.

“You, and people like you, need to know and learn that blue lights and sirens mean stop.

“Your conduct in failing to stop is sadly prevalent in this city and there is significant community impact of the consequences.

“People are heartily fed up of hearing sirens and seeing police having to chase people as they did with you.”

Hussain was jailed for eight months and banned from driving for 18 months on his release.