THREE men escaped a house fire which started when an electrical heater was knocked over in a bedroom.

The portable electrical heater, which was plugged in, was knocked over and caught fire in a third floor bedroom of a terraced house in Harlow Road, Lidget Green, at around 2am today.

The three men in the house at the time managed to get outside the property before a crew from Fairweather Green Fire Station attended the incident.

The fire damaged the bedroom carpet and caused smoke damage to the rest of the house.

The blaze did not spread to any other properties, Watch Commander Peter Hanson, of Fairweather Green Fire Station, confirmed.