CREWS were called to a high-rise block of flats in Bradford city centre which failed Government fire safety tests following a light socket fire.

The incident took place in a sixth-floor flat in Landmark House, Broadway, at around 00.05am today.

Fire crews isolated a dimmer light switch which had shorted out in the kitchen/living area of the flat.

Crews checked the area for any fire spread and gave advice to the resident and security personnel on site at the seven-storey building.

Six pumps from Fairweather Green, Shipley, Cleckheaton, Bingley, Stanningley, Wakefield and two from Bradford, and two combined aerial rescue pumps, attended the incident as a precaution.

Crews completed a home fire safety check and fitted a smoke detector in the flat.

Crew commander Greg Hurst, of Bradford Fire Station, said: "A light socket had overheated. It was a small fire which was out on arrival."

Cladding at Landmark House failed Government fire safety tests last month.

Bradford Council announced that a sample of external cladding taken from Landmark House had fallen below the required standards.

But the authority said while there was “no need” to evacuate the site, “increased surveillance” would be introduced, and West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) said a series of new interim safety measures have been introduced including 24/7 patrols.