A DOCTOR failed to mention evidence that was of “pretty dramatic importance” to his defence when interviewed by police investigating a sexual assault claim against him, a court heard.

Fesal Hussain, 33, denies two charges of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl during a home visit on July 8, 2015.

Bradford Crown Court heard on Thursday that mobile phone records showed Hussain called the complainant.

During cross-examination, Prosecutor Adrian Dent said that in his police interview, Hussain claimed he received a call from someone speaking broken English requesting a home visit.

“You had told the police that the call came through to you on your mobile and that was plainly wrong,” said Mr Dent.

Hussain, giving evidence in his defence, told the court he believed a member of staff at the practice had given him the number to sort out a home visit.

Mr Dent said Hussain failed to mention it to police during any of his interviews with them.

“Is this tale about the staff member of pretty dramatic importance to your defence?” asked Mr Dent. Hussain replied: “It is not a tale, it is the truth, but yes.”

Mr Dent added: “Surely you must have realised that what you’re now telling us for the first time was of critical importance to enable the police to investigate this case properly. Did you not realise that?”

Hussain replied: “No, I went with the advice given.”

Sasha Wass QC, defending, asked Hussain if he had sexually assaulted the girl or touched her. He replied: “I did not touch any part of her body.”

He added: “I did not examine her, I did not do anything. As soon as I realised there had been a mix-up, I left.”

On being in the house, Hussain said: “I saw a young girl and a baby. Immediately I thought ‘what has gone on here?’ I found it odd and thought it was amiss. I asked if they remembered me as their GP and if they were registered at Parkside. They were not trying to answer the question. They were just saying I needed to sort her out and see her.”

Dr Zahir Mughal, principal GP at Mughal Medical Centre, where Hussain had worked, said he was “very hard-working” and “very conscientious”.

The trial continues.