A FATHER-of two was killed by his two drinking pals because he bragged about being a football hooligan, a court heard.

Clifford Honeyman, 42, and Andrew Thomas Stevenson, 39, carried out a "sustained callous attack" on 50-year-old Bradford man Richard Walker leaving him with 39 rib fractures, it was said.

Mr Walker had boasted about smashing up the Strawberry Public House which is located at Newcastle United's ground.

A jury at Leeds Crown Court heard the victim was stamped, kicked and punched so violently that he had brain injuries following the "violent and sustained beating".

The court heard experts who said Mr Walker, known to the court as Ricky, would have died from the "massive" chest injuries alone.

Prosecutor John Elvidge told the court today: "The defendants and the deceased were drinking together late in the afternoon when an argument broke out between Mr Walker and Stevenson.

"It is to be about football hooliganism that took place at Strawberry Public House, where Mr Walker said he was present.

"Stevenson then got up and slapped him around the face and said 'you don't know who you're messing with'."

The court heard the defendants and Mr Walker had been drinking at the flat of another pal, Graham Woss in Scarborough on October 19 of last year.

Mr Elvidge continued: "Another friend who was in the flat, Graham Woss, told the two defendants that he [the victim] had had enough but Honeyman said, 'I'll say when he's had enough'.

"Mr Walker was then heard asking, 'why are you doing this to me' and Stevenson replied 'because we can't stand the sight of you'."

Mr Woss said Mr Walker had wanted to leave following the fracas with Stevenson, but Honeyman held him down.

The pair continued the attack into the evening and slept in sleeping bags together in the living room when Mr Woss had gone to bed.

The next morning, the two defendants said Mr Walker was sleeping and went out to seek more booze.

In his police interview, the court heard Honeyman claimed to be asleep after being charged with murder and Stevenson admitted he "didn't know whether he committed the assault".

However, the jury were shown pictures that Honeyman had taken on his phone halfway through beating-up Mr Walker - showing a severely bruised face.

Mr Elvidge said: "The prosecution say at the time of inflicting these injuries, they [Stevenson and Honeyman] intended at the very least to cause very serious harm to Mr Walker."

The pair, both of no fixed address, together deny murder.

A jury was also told Stevenson, Honeyman and a third defendant Steven Atkinson, also of no fixed address, all denied two robberies in Scarborough.

The court heard the three had preyed on "vulnerable drinkers in the seaside town" and had initiated violence to get their bank cards and pin numbers.

Two members of the Rainbow Centre, an alcoholics help outlet, John Howe and Allister Franklin, had allegedly been threatened and pummelled by the defendants.

Mr Howe allegedly had his watch, bank cards and £130 cash stolen by the defendants and Mr Franklin had cash and bank card taken.

The trial, which is scheduled to last three weeks, continues.