TIME is running out for a campaigning couple battling to save a residential home from closure.
Carole Regan’s husband Tony, whose dementia was diagnosed five years ago, uses the day centre at Harbourne Residential Care Home in Wibsey.
If the home shuts in a move designed to save £300,000, they and other relatives of users are worried they will be left without proper support.
The threatened closure has prompted petitions and an e-petition which have so far attracted more than 600 signatures from people who want to keep it open.
But campaigners said their fight was being hampered by the limited time they have been given to respond to the consultation.
Many families claim they have not been given the full three-month notice period to respond and the Regans, who have both previously worked as care managers specialising in dementia, are among them.
Harbourne’s consultation ends on September 9 and people say they have been promised individual meetings with the Council’s adult and community service before that date to discuss the situation and their needs.
But when Mrs Regan, 65, of Frensham Grove, got a letter inviting them to a meeting – it arrived four days too late.
Another meeting was then arranged but cancelled by social services, meaning Mr and Mrs Regan are still waiting for a new date.
“Time is against us and we still haven’t had our meeting. It’s a sham. We want to have a say in how all this works out for us and others like us. It is short-sighted of Bradford Council to shut this facility. I want to keep Tony at home with me as long as we can.
“This should be encouraged by the Council otherwise they will have problems on their hands in the future. Dementia is on the increase, they will be over-burdened with resources and costs even more if they don’t provide day centre facilities.”
After being contacted by the Telegraph & Argus, Lyn Sowray, Bradford Council’s assistant director integration and transition, said: “We are aware that Mrs Regan is wanting to meet with officers from Bradford District Care Trust and Adults and Communities and an appointment has been agreed.
“The consultation period formally ends on September 9, but late submissions will be accepted and taken into account.”
The home, along with Neville Grange in Shipley and Holme View in Holme Wood, has been threatened with closure previously. In January 2013, the Council’s executive confirmed those homes would not close until alternative plans were in place.
Since then, Neville Grange has been closed and demolished with an Extra Care facility earmarked for the site. Holme View is still open – though its future might also be subject to a public consultation.