More big name retailers sign up for Westfield Broadway

The under construction Westfield shopping centre

The under construction Westfield shopping centre

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

TWO new retailers have signed up for units in the new flagship The Broadway shopping centre now under construction in Bradford city centre.

The announcements by New Look and JD Sports means more than half the units at the centre have now found tenants, with others including Marks & Spencer, Top Shop and Top Man, River Island and Boots already committed to units within the centre.

New Look will offer its full line at the Bradford store, more than 10,500 square feet, with the JD Sports store taking up 9,200 square feet within the centre.

Both stores will feature double-height frontages.

Warren Thompson, group acquisitions manager at JD Sports said: “We look forward to playing a part in The Broadway’s retail offer, which will showcase the best of the UK high street to Bradford. Our new and larger store format will create a fantastic new shopping experience for local customers.”

Sue Jarvis, head of group portfolio at New Look said: “We are very pleased to be opening a New Look store in this exciting new retail development which will create an excellent shopping opportunity for the residents of Bradford.”

Keith Mabbett, Westfield’s director of leasing said:“We’re excited to bring New Look and JD Sports to The Broadway and it is further endorsement of Bradford as a key strategic location for leading UK and international brands.

"We are seeing increasing confidence in Bradford from UK retailers and the city has been recognised as one of the top ten new development opportunities in the UK.”

Bradford Council leader, Councillor David Green, said: "Having these two major retailers signing up to The Broadway is great news for the city. It will be a second store for New Look and a bigger, bolder store for JD Sports."

It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs.

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:04pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Robin of Loxley says...

It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs..


Anticipated....
[quote]It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs.. [/quote] Anticipated.... Robin of Loxley
  • Score: -14

6:53pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

2 more stores that are already in the Bradford area. Well done. Any new shops you know ones we don't have already?
2 more stores that are already in the Bradford area. Well done. Any new shops you know ones we don't have already? Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 36

6:58pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Joedavid says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs..


Anticipated....
Yes but some of them exist already at the present stores already in Bradford.
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote]It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs.. [/quote] Anticipated....[/p][/quote]Yes but some of them exist already at the present stores already in Bradford. Joedavid
  • Score: 5

7:33pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Avro says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs..


Anticipated....
Create but not necessarily new, most will be a short walk from old to new outlet.
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote]It is anticipated the centre will create 2,500 retail jobs.. [/quote] Anticipated....[/p][/quote]Create but not necessarily new, most will be a short walk from old to new outlet. Avro
  • Score: 1

7:34pm Wed 20 Aug 14

littlegrimmy says...

What about a Disney store. We've got them shops already
What about a Disney store. We've got them shops already littlegrimmy
  • Score: 11

8:23pm Wed 20 Aug 14

fabricator666 says...

littlegrimmy wrote:
What about a Disney store. We've got them shops already
I don't think they'd appreciate all the demonstrations by the locals. You know, like the ones that are never reported
[quote][p][bold]littlegrimmy[/bold] wrote: What about a Disney store. We've got them shops already[/p][/quote]I don't think they'd appreciate all the demonstrations by the locals. You know, like the ones that are never reported fabricator666
  • Score: 9

8:44pm Wed 20 Aug 14

ever the optimist says...

Great news bradfordians need an indoor shop in which to buy baseball hat, trackies and rockports
Great news bradfordians need an indoor shop in which to buy baseball hat, trackies and rockports ever the optimist
  • Score: 1

10:23pm Wed 20 Aug 14

SinnerSaint says...

Couple of high end clothing stores. Really makes a statement!😳
Couple of high end clothing stores. Really makes a statement!😳 SinnerSaint
  • Score: 8

12:00am Thu 21 Aug 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

Well hope there is a wide and diverse selection of smaller shops as the carbon copy thing isn't bringing anything new.
Well hope there is a wide and diverse selection of smaller shops as the carbon copy thing isn't bringing anything new. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 5

12:17am Thu 21 Aug 14

Postman pedro says...

Pound shops and a few charity shops should fill the vacant premises. Bradford will never be what it once was. Such a shame.
Pound shops and a few charity shops should fill the vacant premises. Bradford will never be what it once was. Such a shame. Postman pedro
  • Score: 4

2:59am Thu 21 Aug 14

doubledigiter says...

for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica
tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this! doubledigiter
  • Score: 24

3:59am Thu 21 Aug 14

Raj2121 says...

Tell me the day gucci, louis vitton, prada selfridges, harvey nichols, hugo boss, come to bradford.

I would never shop in bradford even if it was 50 percent off, i would never sell trafford Center out or manchester centre...
Keep bradford for the low lifes who hang around escalators, or in corners harassing women.
Tell me the day gucci, louis vitton, prada selfridges, harvey nichols, hugo boss, come to bradford. I would never shop in bradford even if it was 50 percent off, i would never sell trafford Center out or manchester centre... Keep bradford for the low lifes who hang around escalators, or in corners harassing women. Raj2121
  • Score: -34

7:01am Thu 21 Aug 14

Albion. says...

"Two new retailers" except they aren't! Are they going to guarantee keeping open their existing stores?
"Two new retailers" except they aren't! Are they going to guarantee keeping open their existing stores? Albion.
  • Score: 3

7:14am Thu 21 Aug 14

Joedavid says...

doubledigiter wrote:
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica

tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford.
Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.
[quote][p][bold]doubledigiter[/bold] wrote: for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this![/p][/quote]I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford. Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff. Joedavid
  • Score: 3

8:22am Thu 21 Aug 14

BCFC1911 says...

SinnerSaint wrote:
Couple of high end clothing stores. Really makes a statement!😳
In Bradford?

Not a chance
[quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: Couple of high end clothing stores. Really makes a statement!😳[/p][/quote]In Bradford? Not a chance BCFC1911
  • Score: 0

8:26am Thu 21 Aug 14

BCFC1911 says...

Joedavid wrote:
doubledigiter wrote:
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica


tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford.
Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.
Exactly. All the stores listed already have a city centre presence so its just shutting one down creating an empty space and moving it across to Westfield.

I would be impressed if for example we were to see shops such as Disney, Apple, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis etc etc etc but the tenants are just generic high street names of which we already have
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]doubledigiter[/bold] wrote: for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this![/p][/quote]I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford. Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.[/p][/quote]Exactly. All the stores listed already have a city centre presence so its just shutting one down creating an empty space and moving it across to Westfield. I would be impressed if for example we were to see shops such as Disney, Apple, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis etc etc etc but the tenants are just generic high street names of which we already have BCFC1911
  • Score: 7

9:02am Thu 21 Aug 14

Out of site says...

Will end up one big bazaar.
Will end up one big bazaar. Out of site
  • Score: -3

9:04am Thu 21 Aug 14

Bone_idle18 says...

BCFC1911 wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
doubledigiter wrote:
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica



tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford.
Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.
Exactly. All the stores listed already have a city centre presence so its just shutting one down creating an empty space and moving it across to Westfield.

I would be impressed if for example we were to see shops such as Disney, Apple, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis etc etc etc but the tenants are just generic high street names of which we already have
there's only one Westfield complex with a Harvey Nicolas, and that's their flagship store at Stratford in London.

Even their Flagship store has a Jd sports and New looks, sitting alongside Harvey Nichols etc.

I don't know what people are expecting, but all the sign-ups so far are in line with other large shopping centres.
[quote][p][bold]BCFC1911[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]doubledigiter[/bold] wrote: for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this![/p][/quote]I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford. Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.[/p][/quote]Exactly. All the stores listed already have a city centre presence so its just shutting one down creating an empty space and moving it across to Westfield. I would be impressed if for example we were to see shops such as Disney, Apple, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis etc etc etc but the tenants are just generic high street names of which we already have[/p][/quote]there's only one Westfield complex with a Harvey Nicolas, and that's their flagship store at Stratford in London. Even their Flagship store has a Jd sports and New looks, sitting alongside Harvey Nichols etc. I don't know what people are expecting, but all the sign-ups so far are in line with other large shopping centres. Bone_idle18
  • Score: -1

9:14am Thu 21 Aug 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Here's a list of stores at Westfield Derby, it will probably give some indication of what to expect :-

http://www.theretail
database.com/store%2
0list.php?ID=20
Here's a list of stores at Westfield Derby, it will probably give some indication of what to expect :- http://www.theretail database.com/store%2 0list.php?ID=20 Bone_idle18
  • Score: 3

9:19am Thu 21 Aug 14

Joedavid says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Here's a list of stores at Westfield Derby, it will probably give some indication of what to expect :-

http://www.theretail

database.com/store%2

0list.php?ID=20
What became duplicates due to existing store there did they close old one or keep it open?
If any closed are they empty now or re let to new shops?
Only if new and old still open can new jobs be created.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Here's a list of stores at Westfield Derby, it will probably give some indication of what to expect :- http://www.theretail database.com/store%2 0list.php?ID=20[/p][/quote]What became duplicates due to existing store there did they close old one or keep it open? If any closed are they empty now or re let to new shops? Only if new and old still open can new jobs be created. Joedavid
  • Score: 2

9:54am Thu 21 Aug 14

BCFC1911 says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
BCFC1911 wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
doubledigiter wrote:
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica




tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford.
Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.
Exactly. All the stores listed already have a city centre presence so its just shutting one down creating an empty space and moving it across to Westfield.

I would be impressed if for example we were to see shops such as Disney, Apple, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis etc etc etc but the tenants are just generic high street names of which we already have
there's only one Westfield complex with a Harvey Nicolas, and that's their flagship store at Stratford in London.

Even their Flagship store has a Jd sports and New looks, sitting alongside Harvey Nichols etc.

I don't know what people are expecting, but all the sign-ups so far are in line with other large shopping centres.
exactly. Its just a carbon copy of all other generic centres and adds nothing at all apart from a roof over the shoppers heads.

Look at Trinity for example in Leeds. Superdry, Apple, Agent Pro, Everyman, etc etc. Kind of unique branded shops which draws people in.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BCFC1911[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]doubledigiter[/bold] wrote: for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this![/p][/quote]I do welcome the Westfield being completed but most if not all the shop names we are told are going to be there already are in Bradford. Common business sense tells anyone they will not keep the present store in Bradford and will only want the same basic number of staff.[/p][/quote]Exactly. All the stores listed already have a city centre presence so its just shutting one down creating an empty space and moving it across to Westfield. I would be impressed if for example we were to see shops such as Disney, Apple, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis etc etc etc but the tenants are just generic high street names of which we already have[/p][/quote]there's only one Westfield complex with a Harvey Nicolas, and that's their flagship store at Stratford in London. Even their Flagship store has a Jd sports and New looks, sitting alongside Harvey Nichols etc. I don't know what people are expecting, but all the sign-ups so far are in line with other large shopping centres.[/p][/quote]exactly. Its just a carbon copy of all other generic centres and adds nothing at all apart from a roof over the shoppers heads. Look at Trinity for example in Leeds. Superdry, Apple, Agent Pro, Everyman, etc etc. Kind of unique branded shops which draws people in. BCFC1911
  • Score: 9

10:51am Thu 21 Aug 14

Scotyke says...

Sure, it's good news - the sort we've been waiting for in at least a decade. But I'd be even happier if we knew that these retailers will not leave their current Bradford shop units abandoned.
Sure, it's good news - the sort we've been waiting for in at least a decade. But I'd be even happier if we knew that these retailers will not leave their current Bradford shop units abandoned. Scotyke
  • Score: 8

11:53am Thu 21 Aug 14

Jeff6966 says...

If this is going to just be a double of kirkgate market on a bigger scale then what a waste. Thought this new westfield would have new shops. Looks like ill still be taking the trip to leeds then
If this is going to just be a double of kirkgate market on a bigger scale then what a waste. Thought this new westfield would have new shops. Looks like ill still be taking the trip to leeds then Jeff6966
  • Score: 5

1:45pm Thu 21 Aug 14

basil fawlty says...

Generally the shops that already have a presence in Bradford will have much larger stores when they open in the Broadway development, which means that they will have much larger stocks and therefore be much more attractive to shoppers. That is itself a big positive.
Generally the shops that already have a presence in Bradford will have much larger stores when they open in the Broadway development, which means that they will have much larger stocks and therefore be much more attractive to shoppers. That is itself a big positive. basil fawlty
  • Score: 5

1:54pm Thu 21 Aug 14

basil fawlty says...

Jeff6966 wrote:
If this is going to just be a double of kirkgate market on a bigger scale then what a waste. Thought this new westfield would have new shops. Looks like ill still be taking the trip to leeds then
A waste? You've mafde a decision to avoid going to a massive new shopping centre that is still only being built, and you haven't even seen it or the final shops that will be on offer? Laughable!
[quote][p][bold]Jeff6966[/bold] wrote: If this is going to just be a double of kirkgate market on a bigger scale then what a waste. Thought this new westfield would have new shops. Looks like ill still be taking the trip to leeds then[/p][/quote]A waste? You've mafde a decision to avoid going to a massive new shopping centre that is still only being built, and you haven't even seen it or the final shops that will be on offer? Laughable! basil fawlty
  • Score: -2

4:39pm Thu 21 Aug 14

BCFC1911 says...

basil fawlty wrote:
Jeff6966 wrote:
If this is going to just be a double of kirkgate market on a bigger scale then what a waste. Thought this new westfield would have new shops. Looks like ill still be taking the trip to leeds then
A waste? You've mafde a decision to avoid going to a massive new shopping centre that is still only being built, and you haven't even seen it or the final shops that will be on offer? Laughable!
Its hardly "massive"

Meadowhall and Trafford are "massive". This is on comparison very very small
[quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jeff6966[/bold] wrote: If this is going to just be a double of kirkgate market on a bigger scale then what a waste. Thought this new westfield would have new shops. Looks like ill still be taking the trip to leeds then[/p][/quote]A waste? You've mafde a decision to avoid going to a massive new shopping centre that is still only being built, and you haven't even seen it or the final shops that will be on offer? Laughable![/p][/quote]Its hardly "massive" Meadowhall and Trafford are "massive". This is on comparison very very small BCFC1911
  • Score: 4

9:32pm Thu 21 Aug 14

hx3bantam says...

doubledigiter wrote:
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica

tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
Well said dd - but look who's writing them. It's the Usual Suspects. The terminally miserable. Their only source of joy is believing that someone cares what they write! They're a little support group for each other who "Thumbs Up" each others desperate posts. I believe it's a deep-rooted fear that their excuses for failure are being slowly eradicated. It was easy to blame Bradford and sections of the community for all their ills. Now it looks like it's on the up it will expose the real reason for their shortcomings - themselves!
[quote][p][bold]doubledigiter[/bold] wrote: for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this![/p][/quote]Well said dd - but look who's writing them. It's the Usual Suspects. The terminally miserable. Their only source of joy is believing that someone cares what they write! They're a little support group for each other who "Thumbs Up" each others desperate posts. I believe it's a deep-rooted fear that their excuses for failure are being slowly eradicated. It was easy to blame Bradford and sections of the community for all their ills. Now it looks like it's on the up it will expose the real reason for their shortcomings - themselves! hx3bantam
  • Score: 0

10:01pm Thu 21 Aug 14

SinnerSaint says...

hx3bantam wrote:
doubledigiter wrote:
for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica


tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this!
Well said dd - but look who's writing them. It's the Usual Suspects. The terminally miserable. Their only source of joy is believing that someone cares what they write! They're a little support group for each other who "Thumbs Up" each others desperate posts. I believe it's a deep-rooted fear that their excuses for failure are being slowly eradicated. It was easy to blame Bradford and sections of the community for all their ills. Now it looks like it's on the up it will expose the real reason for their shortcomings - themselves!
Hahahahahaha!!! Thanks Baz, that's cheered me right up! You're saying people are failures and have shortcomings because they don't shop in a hole full of undesirables and low end retail outlets.

The only difference the new mall brings is that pretty much the same crappy shops are in a shiny new box.
[quote][p][bold]hx3bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]doubledigiter[/bold] wrote: for goodness sake! this article is a positive news story for our wonderful city yet every single comment attached to this is trying to find negatives for the sake of it. we have, as a collective generally in this city, been moaning [quite rightly] about the lack of investment in the city and the inability to get the westfield scheme up and running. yet now we are in the position where the scheme is up and running we are still trying our best to find the negatives in it. this is so frustrating! the fact is that the development will and already has done created employment - that's a positive whichever way you view life. secondly, there are only a certain number of major retail companies in the uk and although tvr quite rightly alludes to, 2 are already present in the city centre, this does not mean that we should reject those two retailers. we should instead embrace their desire to be here. every major city in the uk has certain big name retailers on their high streets and in their shopping centres. so bradford having the westfield centre means we are now going to be one of the major cities in the uk. surely that's good? the only thing i see holding back bradford really is it's people. people like us on this site posting negative comments and generally not taking any positive action to try and make things better. the fact we all come on here and comment shows we do actually care and do want the place to be better for all of us. so come on robin, joedavid, tvr, avro, littlegrimmy,fabrica tor, eto, ss, psw and postman. what do you all say? are you all up for spreading some positivity about bradford? come on lets do this![/p][/quote]Well said dd - but look who's writing them. It's the Usual Suspects. The terminally miserable. Their only source of joy is believing that someone cares what they write! They're a little support group for each other who "Thumbs Up" each others desperate posts. I believe it's a deep-rooted fear that their excuses for failure are being slowly eradicated. It was easy to blame Bradford and sections of the community for all their ills. Now it looks like it's on the up it will expose the real reason for their shortcomings - themselves![/p][/quote]Hahahahahaha!!! Thanks Baz, that's cheered me right up! You're saying people are failures and have shortcomings because they don't shop in a hole full of undesirables and low end retail outlets. The only difference the new mall brings is that pretty much the same crappy shops are in a shiny new box. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 4

1:01am Fri 22 Aug 14

doubledigiter says...

Hey SS. Forget the comments from anyone on here about usual suspects/terminally miserable etc. This is not about point scoring and who's right/wrong. Its about opinions and ultimately sharing our views on current issues/topics that affect the city we all live in and want to see be a success. If nobody cared about it none of us would be on here commenting. In my opinion , one of the ways to success in any walk of life is to support each other as family, friends, colleagues etc in our decision making and to respect each other as individual human beings at all times so that everyone is able to freely contribute their ideas, thoughts, feelings etc in the hope they can make a positive impact on society. Your comment therefore about Bradford being a hole full of undesirables and low end retail outlets is hardly constructive. Your opinion/view of Bradford as a city may well be shared by a large section of its residents. Then again it may not be. We will never know for definite. What I am fairly certain of is that you as a human being, along with the majority of mankind, want to live in a society as perfect as it can be, within reason. Bradford, like the rest of planet earth, will never be perfect. However, I do believe that Bradford, and any other location on our wonderful planet can prosper if the people who inhabit it work together to ensure this. So SS, I say this to you. Nobody is a failure or has shortcomings. Everyone has a voice and is entitled to their own view. I disagree with your view and feel your comments are unconstructive and do not help to make things better. However you are entitled to your view of course and I respect that. My opinion is that the Westfield is a good way to start what will hopefully be the regeneration of Bradford and I support it fully, regardless of who will occupy the building from the outset. Your opinion is the opposite. So SS, being constructive, what positive, realistic ideas would you have to change the fortunes of Bradford for the better?
Hey SS. Forget the comments from anyone on here about usual suspects/terminally miserable etc. This is not about point scoring and who's right/wrong. Its about opinions and ultimately sharing our views on current issues/topics that affect the city we all live in and want to see be a success. If nobody cared about it none of us would be on here commenting. In my opinion [and its only an opinion and does not mean I am right or wrong], one of the ways to success in any walk of life is to support each other as family, friends, colleagues etc in our decision making and to respect each other as individual human beings at all times so that everyone is able to freely contribute their ideas, thoughts, feelings etc in the hope they can make a positive impact on society. Your comment therefore about Bradford being a hole full of undesirables and low end retail outlets is hardly constructive. Your opinion/view of Bradford as a city may well be shared by a large section of its residents. Then again it may not be. We will never know for definite. What I am fairly certain of is that you as a human being, along with the majority of mankind, want to live in a society as perfect as it can be, within reason. Bradford, like the rest of planet earth, will never be perfect. However, I do believe that Bradford, and any other location on our wonderful planet can prosper if the people who inhabit it work together to ensure this. So SS, I say this to you. Nobody is a failure or has shortcomings. Everyone has a voice and is entitled to their own view. I disagree with your view and feel your comments are unconstructive and do not help to make things better. However you are entitled to your view of course and I respect that. My opinion is that the Westfield is a good way to start what will hopefully be the regeneration of Bradford and I support it fully, regardless of who will occupy the building from the outset. Your opinion is the opposite. So SS, being constructive, what positive, realistic ideas would you have to change the fortunes of Bradford for the better? doubledigiter
  • Score: -1

10:33am Fri 22 Aug 14

SinnerSaint says...

My friend, if you feel you are in a position to go out and make a difference then who am I to stop you?
My friend, if you feel you are in a position to go out and make a difference then who am I to stop you? SinnerSaint
  • Score: 3

11:15am Sat 23 Aug 14

spanglishbull.uk says...

Just arrived back in Spain after visiting my home town for 65 years.It was good to see the Westfield at last taking shape,good to see the new Pool in Town Hall square being used by lots of people as a paddling pool,nothing wrong in that but spoiled by the usual beggars with their dogs,drunks,druggies and the usual low life that inhabit the area.I had to laugh at the attempts to move them on,they just walked round the pool and went back to their original places.The police or wardens have not got a hope in hell of moving them on.The shops,which were not closed or boarded up were basically empty,apart from the betting shops,where do they get their money from?.It says it all when the busiest place was the Corn on the Cob kiosk at the top of the escalator in Arndale.Why does somebody not tell them though that the bins are to put their litter in,not the floor.At least it keeps the cleaners in a job.All in all though nothing has changed for the better in the seven years I have been away.I certainly will not be rushing back in a hurry.
Just arrived back in Spain after visiting my home town for 65 years.It was good to see the Westfield at last taking shape,good to see the new Pool in Town Hall square being used by lots of people as a paddling pool,nothing wrong in that but spoiled by the usual beggars with their dogs,drunks,druggies and the usual low life that inhabit the area.I had to laugh at the attempts to move them on,they just walked round the pool and went back to their original places.The police or wardens have not got a hope in hell of moving them on.The shops,which were not closed or boarded up were basically empty,apart from the betting shops,where do they get their money from?.It says it all when the busiest place was the Corn on the Cob kiosk at the top of the escalator in Arndale.Why does somebody not tell them though that the bins are to put their litter in,not the floor.At least it keeps the cleaners in a job.All in all though nothing has changed for the better in the seven years I have been away.I certainly will not be rushing back in a hurry. spanglishbull.uk
  • Score: 1

10:06am Mon 25 Aug 14

OdsalWill says...

spanglishbull.uk wrote:
Just arrived back in Spain after visiting my home town for 65 years.It was good to see the Westfield at last taking shape,good to see the new Pool in Town Hall square being used by lots of people as a paddling pool,nothing wrong in that but spoiled by the usual beggars with their dogs,drunks,druggies and the usual low life that inhabit the area.I had to laugh at the attempts to move them on,they just walked round the pool and went back to their original places.The police or wardens have not got a hope in hell of moving them on.The shops,which were not closed or boarded up were basically empty,apart from the betting shops,where do they get their money from?.It says it all when the busiest place was the Corn on the Cob kiosk at the top of the escalator in Arndale.Why does somebody not tell them though that the bins are to put their litter in,not the floor.At least it keeps the cleaners in a job.All in all though nothing has changed for the better in the seven years I have been away.I certainly will not be rushing back in a hurry.
In their defence, there are no bins. Removed as they are "security hazards" following the handy work of the IRA.
[quote][p][bold]spanglishbull.uk[/bold] wrote: Just arrived back in Spain after visiting my home town for 65 years.It was good to see the Westfield at last taking shape,good to see the new Pool in Town Hall square being used by lots of people as a paddling pool,nothing wrong in that but spoiled by the usual beggars with their dogs,drunks,druggies and the usual low life that inhabit the area.I had to laugh at the attempts to move them on,they just walked round the pool and went back to their original places.The police or wardens have not got a hope in hell of moving them on.The shops,which were not closed or boarded up were basically empty,apart from the betting shops,where do they get their money from?.It says it all when the busiest place was the Corn on the Cob kiosk at the top of the escalator in Arndale.Why does somebody not tell them though that the bins are to put their litter in,not the floor.At least it keeps the cleaners in a job.All in all though nothing has changed for the better in the seven years I have been away.I certainly will not be rushing back in a hurry.[/p][/quote]In their defence, there are no bins. Removed as they are "security hazards" following the handy work of the IRA. OdsalWill
  • Score: -1

1:37am Tue 26 Aug 14

Sarah/1980 says...

Bradfordians commenting on here can never be happy for the city, even if the queen built a castle here. Then you wonder why others are not proud these same people probably dont ever make a positive contribution towards anything anyway just filled with hate towards others in the city. Maybe if true people showed some love and compassion others would follow. Shame on the people of bradford they deserve nothing but jsa handouts. I welcome Westfield and hopefully will be a success and if you don't want to shop here cos all of u really can just afford pound shops with your attitudes
Bradfordians commenting on here can never be happy for the city, even if the queen built a castle here. Then you wonder why others are not proud these same people probably dont ever make a positive contribution towards anything anyway just filled with hate towards others in the city. Maybe if true people showed some love and compassion others would follow. Shame on the people of bradford they deserve nothing but jsa handouts. I welcome Westfield and hopefully will be a success and if you don't want to shop here cos all of u really can just afford pound shops with your attitudes Sarah/1980
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree