Couple praised for quick-thinking following Clayton house fire

Couple praised for quick-thinking following Clayton house fire

Couple praised for quick-thinking following Clayton house fire

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , City Hall Reporter

A HOUSEHOLD has been praised for doing everything right when a fire broke out in their home.

A blaze started in the basement of a semi-detached house in Pasture Lane, Clayton, Bradford, at around 8pm on Saturday.

The couple living there shut the door on the fire, trapping it in the basement, and left the house to wait for the fire service to arrive.

Fairweather Green fire station crew commander Steve O'Keefe said: "The computer had caught fire so the basement was on fire and the house was starting to fill up with smoke."

Two firefighters donned breathing apparatus and extinguished the flames. The crews then ventilated the house using specialist fans.

Mr O'Keefe said if the couple hadn't closed the door on the flames, the fire could have been a lot worse.

He said: "If they hadn't shut the door, it probably would have spread. I think it would have taken quite a lot more of the house."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree